Vic 2015 Xmas Case Swap TASTING

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJ_L3ThAL

Such rapp, very bass
Reaction score
Well, surely someone had a traveler on the way home? My head hurts...

1. Idzy - Weizenbock - Ready March 2016 8.8% ABV
2. VPBrewing - Kölsch. Bottled 25-10-15.
3. MartinOC - Whilst we're all getting apologetic, slightly undercarbed Weizen. Drink in a few weeks
4. JB - Belgian golden strong. Bottled 2/12/2015
5. Micbrew - Irish Red Ale
6. Mayor of Mildura - Stouty Stout - Bottled 20-9-15
7. Black n Tan-Dusseldorf Altbier-CPBF 3/11, should be ready to drink by the time you drive past Seymour.
10. AJ80 (Portlander Weiße - west coast IPA vs Berliner Weisse) - ready, best drink soon.
11. Midnight Brew (+ Bruce the old man) Amber Ale bottled 27.11.2015.
12. Grainer -Popcorn and Polenta Cream Ale - Friken weird.... Ready to drink
14. Mudd - Rauchbier- 100% Gladfield Manuka Smoked Malt
15. Awesome Fury - APA Bottled 21-11-2015
17. Whiteferret Red IPA Bottled 1-12-2015
22. Mardoo - 1954 Pale Ale - Centennial/Southern Cross - Drink New Yearsish
23. DJ_L3ThAL - Chestnut Pilsner v4 - Pre-lagered, drink now.
24. Host Spot - oh they were so generous!!!

Can everyone who hasn't already done so please put-up a suggested sampling date on their beer so we can work-out an appropriate order of attack.

1. Idzy - Weizenbock - Ready March 2016 8.8% ABV
2. VPBrewing - Kölsch. Ready to drink.
3. MartinOC - Whilst we're all getting apologetic, slightly undercarbed Weizen. Drink in a few weeks
7. Black n Tan-Dusseldorf Altbier-CPBF 3/11, should be ready to drink by the time you drive past Seymour.
10. AJ80 (Portlander Weiße - west coast IPA vs Berliner Weisse) - ready, best drink soon.

1. Idzy - NZ Pale Ale - Ready February 2016

6. Mayor of Mildura - Stouty Stout - Bottled 20-9-15 .... Ready to drink

4. JB - Belgian Golden Strong 11% - bottled 2/12/2015 - leave this til autumn, if patient go for winter
12. Grainer - Popcorn and Polenta Cream Ale - Friken weird.... Ready to drink

Grainer -Popcorn and Polenta Cream Ale - Friken weird.... Ready to drink

So Ill critique my own cause I had it in the fridge - Hopefully I am non-bias.

Appearance.. Looks good. Golden, crystal clear (came out of the keg) Off white/yellow tinge fluffy white head.

Armoa: Cooked corn kernels, florals from he polenta, A corn character that may be mistaken for DMS but deliberately introduced through the grain bill.

Taste: Hmm Corn kernels come to mind .. popcorn favour is no so much there, which is disappointing. Seems the popped corn kernel has introduced more flavour than the white bit. Polenta has introduced a distinct corn and floral, which was sort of expected. Low bittering

Mouthfeel. Slightly creamy with Medium carbonation

Would I brew it again?? NO.. but it was freakin AWESOME fun making it ...but it ain't my thing, I don't like floral type beers of any kind. I cant find the receipe so I cant remember what hops went in it... Next time something more to my liking that I would go back for seconds and thirds..

Appearance: Straw to Golden, Crystal, Small to medium head that laces glass.

Aroma: some corn aroma DMS ? some pils malt aroma, No noticeable hop aroma

Taste: attenuated malts with slight sweetness, slight mineral water taste upfront with slight sulfur type taste at the end. Low bitterness. Slight peppers and florals on the tongue

Mouthfeel: Crisp, low to medium mouthfeel with a sharp tanginess left on the tongue.

Don't drink too many so cant really comment on how good it is.. but not my thing .. comments are only what I am drinking

20151207_195721.jpg

Appearance: Magnificent. Red hue on pour which darkens to black in the glass. Laced with a generous head of brown goodness.

Aroma: Intense sweet chocolate .. I actually did a line with it an nearly choked ! lol Minimal roasts.. chocolate is dominating. No faults

Taste: Chocolate, chocolate chocolate.. Mild roasts with a sharp edge and lingering bitterness much like dark chocolate.. if this is what you were trying to achieve.. you nailed it. Gorgeous silk mouthfeel with lingering tastes of roasts and dark chocolate. Medium to medium full mouthfeel. Medium to medium low carbonation adds to nice mouthfeel. However dry sharpness detracts a little but age may mellow this out.

Thinking I should have aged this a little longer now cause I am sure it would have improved even more and rounded out, I am wondering if there is a hint of green apple in the end of the taste but very subtle.. but not sure..lets see if anyone else picks it up, maybe i am wrong? It may just be the roast I am picking up...My wife is better at this part and she is out shopping.

But still i love it... I love stouts

1.jpg

I grabbed a random bottle from the fridge. Cracked it open and got a waft of tropical fruit. Poured a bit hazy. Taste. Sweet baby Jesus! what an assault on the mouth! Sour and hoppy. wowzers. That was unexpected.

Freekin awesome.

#12 - Grainer's Cream Ale.

I agree with your own critique. Clean & drinkable, but not a style that appeals to me to go back for more.

It's rather dry/corn/grainy in the finish with little in the way of character that would induce me to drink a lot of it. I guess that's pretty characteristic of a lot of mainstream American stuff that uses the cheaply-available adjuncts.

I've got a cream-ale yeast that I spun-up from frozen as an experiment & thought I'd have a go at the style, but now I think I'll pass.

#2 - VP Brewing - Kolsch

Clean straw colour with a fine bead. Head disappears pretty quickly (could be my glass), but foam clings to the glass.

I'm not getting a lot off the nose, but that's appropriate for the style.

Nice balance of malt sweetness with the obvious tart sourness of wheat up-front with plenty of body/mouthfeel.

Mid-palate is a dance between the malts & hop flavour. Bitterness then starts to come-through & lingers to the end.

The finish is dominated by slight wheat sourness & hop flavour/bitterness, with the malt fading-off gradually (which just makes me want to take another sip!), but still perhaps a little too slowly. If I have a criticism, it would be that the finish is a little too full & needs to be drier to nail the style.

Nice one Centurion!

MartinOC said:
If I have a criticism, it would be that the finish is a little too full & needs to be drier to nail the style.

Nice one Centurion!

Centurion?? Was this your 100th beer today? FG wouldn't go below 1.010 from what I remember. Even with a long mash of 64. Although I'm pretty sure I under pitched too.
Not sure about the head issue. The half of the batch that I kegged had the same problem. Might try to step mash the next version.
There's no way I could describe a beer in so many words. Cheers.

4. JB - Belgian Golden Strong 11% - bottled 2/12/2015 - leave this til autumn, if patient go for winter
24. Host Spot - oh they were so generous!!! -- Keep Cold and Drink Fresh !!!

VP Brewing said:
Centurion?? Was this your 100th beer today? Nah, it was #3 (I had to go & get SWMBO from her work Xmas party in the city).

FG wouldn't go below 1.010 from what I remember. Yeah, you're looking for 1006-1008 ish.

Even with a long mash of 64. Although I'm pretty sure I under pitched too. That'll do it.
Not sure about the head issue. Try a rest at about 56C for 5-10 mins,

The half of the batch that I kegged had the same problem. Might try to step mash the next version.
There's no way I could describe a beer in so many words. I used to judge before I discovered I prefer Stewarding & I'm a verbose prick anyway.......... :p

Appearance Bright, Low head that dissipates rapidly.

Aroma: Sweet pilsner malts, Sazz hops?? Mild hop aroma, not sure if I get chestnuts??maybe mild if I guess hard.. really need them beside me to be sure.

Mouthfeel: Light and dry with a bit of twang.

Tasts: Sazz hops dominate.. I think thats what they are?? With a unique flavour I cant quite describe,, probably the chestnuts? But maybe still missing the mark.. not sure how you get more flavour of chestnuts into it??

Quite a pleasant drink and I could easily drink this on a hot day.. a bit better than previous versions of the same thing I have tried ..

mayor of mildura said:

I grabbed a random bottle from the fridge. Cracked it open and got a waft of tropical fruit. Poured a bit hazy. Taste. Sweet baby Jesus! what an assault on the mouth! Sour and hoppy. wowzers. That was unexpected.

Freekin awesome.
Thanks mate. Really glad you liked it.

14. Mudd - Rauchbier- 100% Gladfield Manuka Smoked Malt (ready to drink - but should keep for a month or too if your scared)
24. Host Spot - oh they were so generous!!! -- Keep Cold and Drink Fresh !!!

Appearance: Orange, Cloudy, Minimal head that fades quickly and lightly holds the rim of the glass, Appeares under carbonated for a berliner.

Aroma: Peach and apricots dominating, sweet.

Taste: Peach and apricot and mild sour twang that accentuates fruit notes.

Mouthfeel, Medium light and under carbonated for both styles. Residual sweetness. Needs much more carbonation for the styles.

​Overall quite pleasant and has potential to be a very nice drink, but needs work on the some finer details e.g. cloudiness, sweetness and carbonation. I would drink this again if it didn't have the sweetness and more carb ...everyday !

10. AJ80

Preface: I don't like sour beers - personal preference.

Absolutely gorgeous subtle aroma of sweet peaches.

Taste is fruity/acidic like young or under-ripe fruit without the sweetness. Moderate bitterness.

Carbonation is low, but I know that's how AJ likes them, so no complaints (since it's brewed for personal satisfaction rather than pleasing others).

I couldn't drink a lot of this, but that's just down to my own personal preference, not an indictment.

Latest posts

Back