Vic 2015 Xmas Case Swap TASTING

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
#22 - Mardoo's 1954 Pale Ale.

Me Likey! OK, I stuffed-up & got a bit of errant particulate matter in my glass in the 2nd pour, but I'll go with the 1st one...

Nice fine bead, Brussels-lace all the way to the bottom. Glorious amber colour & clear.

Nose & flavour were a bit subdued initially, as I turned-down my chesty to about 5C the other day, but as it warmed-up, it just got better. Nice grippy bitterness & hop flavour that just keeps giving. I initially thought it was a bit too sweet for overall balance, but I was wrong.

Curious where the 1954 comes into it, given that Centennial wasn't grown until 1974 & released in 1990????

mayor of mildura said:
14. Mudd - Rauchbier- 100% Gladfield Manuka Smoked Malt

I cracked this one a few minutes ago. I think I can hear the cfa sirens approaching. Holy bajoogems there is a bush fire in my glass.
If you don't mind a blow-in adding a couple words...one of our fellas broguht along a keg of Manuka Rauchbier to our swap, and it was bloody lovely. Can see why this one got the wraps it has.

Out.

MartinOC said:
Curious where the 1954 comes into it, given that Centennial wasn't grown until 1974 & released in 1990????
Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad it satisfied. My post-ferment manipulations a were a real long shot, for sure. An interesting experiment in adjusting a bottled beer post-ferment, but I'd rather get it right in the first place.

The "Centennial" of the "Southern Cross" Eureka flag was on or about 1 December,1954. The word play just stood out for me and I happened to have bottled on December 1. If I hadn't mentioned it those were the hops I used.

Mardoo, that's just obscure referencing/naming! Whatever you were smoking when you were bottling, I want some!!

Excellent beer, nonetheless...

22. Mardoo - 1954 Pale Ale - Centennial/Southern Cross - Drink New Yearsish

Appearance: Hazy, Amber-Copper, Off white head that fades and laces the glass

Aroma: Lemon zest and Pine, Caramel malts, sweet. Could do with a little less sweetness and a little more pine/Lemon character to make it pop.Malts are trying to dominate this drink which is inappropriate for the style, the hops should stand up.

Taste: Sweet caramels malts with pine and lemon rind flavours. more hops would help with this.. I would increase the bitterness slightly and dry hop a little more - this will help me remember this drink and make me want to come back for more.

Mouthfeel: Medium - Probably attributed to the sweetness left in the malts. Leaves a dryness in the mouth upon completion and bitterness lingers but not enough. Carbonation is good to maybe a little low. Maybe leave another week everyone and this may help to give it a little boost over the warmer week.

Overall, There are no noticeable faults present, and it is easy to drink, but thats not what I am after.. I would like to see a little more bitterness (very very slight increase) and the hops to dominate over the malts as there is a lot of competition between the two in this beer. Good attempt but give me more hops please.. YOB will be happy with this ! ......YUUUMM ... I smell Black Angus Sausages in the background and this is now ruining my sense of smell... !!

EDIT: Second pour had quite a bit of sediment as expected increasing the cloudiness - Tried to be very careful but the fu&in beer beat me !

3. MartinOC - Whilst we're all getting apologetic, slightly undercarbed Weizen. Drink in a few weeks

Appearance: Pale Orange... may be the bad mood lighting.. Yeasty & Hazy, very little head ..pretty much nil but it laces the sides of the glass.

Aroma: Strong fruity esters of Sweet Banana .. very low phenols if present, Banana, Banana. Oh and did I mention Banana. No hop aroma .. all yeast driven No malty aromas.

Taste: Bananarama heaven. not much else here.. I actually like it... It is different to what I would usually drink and hence I like the unusual BUBBLEGUM BANANA BANG!. This is stretching BJCP, but meh .. who gives a shit about that!. Slight sweetness complements the bubblegum banana.

Mouthfeel: Medium, well carbonated, could possibly do with a tiny bit more. Well balanced for what it is.. This is a yeast driven beer. Oh did I mention Banana? Creamy...

​Overall.. Ohh Martin.... This one I actually don't mind and after a FULL day cleaning the shed this is what I needed.. A refreshing hit in the face with a Banana Weizen. If this was more balanced towards clove and less bubblegum/banana, I tell you what you would have a descent beer on your hands.. Good work.

Edit.. Pretty colours to accentuate

7. Black n Tan-Dusseldorf Altbier-CPBF 3/11, should be ready to drink by the time you drive past Seymour.

Appearance: Dark amber with off white medium creamy head that slowly dissipates and laces the glass.

Aroma: Amber malt driven with subtle sweetness and pretty much no hop on aroma. raisins and earthy on the nose similar to a woody tawny port.

Mouthfeel: High eppervescent fine bubbles, similar to sparkled mineral water/champagne feel. Medium mouthfeel.

Taste: Malt driven Munich or Vienna? with a large dryness. Very much agree with Martins previous comments on the mineral/ash comments (I think this is accentuated by the high carbonation), these get more pronounced as you progress through the beer and also leaves a dryness in the mouth that almost dries the mouth out. However.. this is appropriate for the style sorry Martin. I don't get the roasts tho.

BJCP: [SIZE=9pt]No roasted malt flavors or harshness. - I [/SIZE]don't[SIZE=9pt] get the roastiness, but there is a perceived harshness to the beer.[/SIZE]
BJCP:Light sulfury or minerally character optional.

Having said all this, there is a harshness to the beer that does not attract me. I like the malt characters but the sparkled mineral water high eppervesance puts me off a bit, especially when it lingers in the mouth due to the dryness.

Oh is anyone going to review?? this feels like only Myself, Martin and JB are giving this a go ???

Drink up boys and comment... doesn't matter if your not a judge.. just put down all your comments as possible and be honest..

Drink the beer for what it is.. If its to a style of BJCP judge it on BJCP.. if its some weird or made up that the brewer made up judge it to what the brewer said it was, not to BJCP.

Try this format it works for me and is also helpful for people to understand what you are thinking.

Appearance: on the pour and 1 min after or during the experience
Aroma: Describe everything you smell - swirl the glass and take a few large sniff.. just don't inhale the beer like I do sometimes!
Mouthfeel: descrive carbonation and lightness/thickness of the beer
Taste: Describe in as many words as you can
Overall comments: did you like it, any improvements/faults comments to improve the beer the way you would like to drink it? remember it is all about your impressions not the brewers.. its YOUR review.

24. Host Spot - oh they were so generous!!! -- Keep Cold and Drink Fresh !!!

Appearance: Copper/Amber - Dark for style, Very little head, but it laces the glass, Clear, a little haze.

Aroma:Hop dominant - Citrus, a little tropical - American styled. One directional hop aroma.

Mouthfeel:Medium to lMedium-full with high bitterness tending towards IPA territory.

Taste: Very hop dominant, pushing the boundaries of the style, with accentuated crystal malts.

Overall: Hops slight outcompeting the malt profile. Too close to an IPA to be a Pale ale.. Would like to see a little less bitterness and less full hops and finish a little dryer. Slickness to the beer.. hoppy beer may be masking possible Diacetyl - got a friend to help with this on a brew day.. would like to see if anyone else can pick this up..??

A few notes of the beers that I have tried so far.

12. Grainer - Popcorn and Polenta Cream Ale - Friken weird.... Ready to drink
Dirty blonde. Little bit Hazy. Earthy dusty smell . Vanilla sweet Packaged candy popcorn taste. If you hadn't have said what was in it I never would have picked it. So maybe mind over matter. I wasn't a massive fan but it was interesting none the less.

2. VPBrewing - Kölsch. Ready to drink. Kolch 2.

Slight chill haze. Fizzy. Enjoyed this. Needs to be a little bit drier to be really spot on.

23. DJ_L3ThAL - Chestnut Pilsner v4 - Pre-lagered, drink now.
Chestnut pils. Looks rad. Clear pale. Bit under carbed. The chestnut isn't in your face. In fact it isn't obvious at all. There is something there in the flavour and aroma though. Good stuff.

24. Host Spot - oh they were so generous!!! -- Keep Cold and Drink Fresh !!!

No notes on this one. I shared it with my old man Christmas day. It seemed to evaporate though. It was very nice. The aroma seemed like pineapple to me from memory. Dad reckoned it reminded him of hop hog.

24. Host Spot - oh they were so generous!!! -- Keep Cold and Drink Fresh !!! - Belgian Blonde

Appearance: Crystal clear, amber with laced head.

Aroma, Faint belgian character complemented by subtle by malts. This is very well balanced beer

Taste: Well balanced and good mix of esters and phenols. Very nice beer and great example of the sale.. credit here.

Overall.. This one hits the mark and is a very good beer. Well done.

24. Host spot - rusty pale ale

Beautiful burnished colour and thin head which lasts. Tropical fruits on the nose. Really enjoying the firm bitterness and I think it's up to the quite prevalent dark speciality malts (the two are melding nicely as the beer warms in the glass). Very enjoyable. Had the privilege of sampling this beer direct from the tank during the swap beer and loved it then too.

Grainer said:
3. MartinOC - Whilst we're all getting apologetic, slightly undercarbed Weizen. Drink in a few weeks

​Overall.. Ohh Martin.... This one I actually don't mind and after a FULL day cleaning the shed this is what I needed.. A refreshing hit in the face with a Banana Weizen. If this was more balanced towards clove and less bubblegum/banana, I tell you what you would have a descent beer on your hands.. Good work.
Yup! & thanks. That's exactly what I've been trying to achieve this year with a few low-ABV weizen experiments erring towards something I can just slosh down my neck whilst I collect firewood without taking my legs-off with a chainsaw :blink: . BJCP be buggered!

I've been trying to get cloves rather than banana & bubblegum & it was only during "D&M" conversations in Echuca :ph34r: that B&T steered me towards over-pitching & under-aeration to get what I want.

Next batch this weekend...

1. Idzy - Weizenbock - Ready March 2016 8.8% ABV
15. Awesome Fury - APA Bottled 21-11-2015

This label fell off Awesome Fury.. so I will be gambling with this and the no label by idzy OMG.. this is gunna be a disaster I just know it.. I will judge the beers for what they are when I open them..... Going to try open the right one today..(I will go for the lighter coloured one from the bottle)

5. Micbrew - Irish Red Ale - quick review this one..

Very Dark copper/Amber, brown head, smells like vegemite and amber malts sweet malts. Hazy.

Tastes pretty good, Carbonation ok. Haven't had many irish red ale but from memory this is a little different. Seems clean on first glass, but my heads not quite in this atm..

cheers

I just found the two unmarked bottles as per Grainer's dilemma & I'm having one now. It's definitely not a Weizenbock, so logic dictates it's AF's APA.

OK, I'll take one for the team.....

Slightly hazy (meh...) with a healthy carbonation.

For an APA, this smells suspiciously like English hops to me - Fuggles if I was to be pressed to pick it.

Carbonation is full, with a light-medium body. Perhaps a bit light on the body from over-attenuation?

The initial flavour is good (both from malt & hops), but I'm definitely not getting US-based hops anywhere here.

Mid-palate is still giving me English hops with a very robust bitterness (about 40+-ish IBU).

The finish is dry & well-balanced. The bitterness lingers beautifully with good hop flavour. No obvious flaws.

I'd actually like it more if the carbonation wasn't so high. I can't help thinking that this was actually an ESB that went too far?

Whoops! I just went & opened the other unmarked bottle (assuming it's Idzy's?) in a moment of panic/weakness.

There seems to be two alternatives to this - NZ Pale Ale & Weizenbock??

Anyway, the colour is very pale, almost like a Pils & carbonation is HUGE!!

The nose is definitely not wheat & if anything, smells a bit "extracty" & phenolic/infected.

Mouthfeel is low-medium & very much dominated by the carbonation. The malt flavour (no wheat detected) quickly gives-way to a definite & quite clean bitterness that then sticks-around in the after-palate. I think we can safely assume this isn't a weizenbock!

Aftertaste is a very nice balance of hop bitterness & flavour (I can't pick the actual hops themselves). There's some obvious residual alcohol here, too.

I just went for a second-pour from the bottle & noticed that there's a "ring of confidence" in the neck of the bottle, which probably explains the excess carbonation & phenolic/infected nose. Shame, as it's otherwise quite a drinkable/quaffable effort.

Given the infection (& if anyone else has one in their bottle?), I'd suggest drinking this one ASAP before it turns into a gusher.

I've had all but number 4. I won't do good tasting notes but will just do my top 5 favourites.
In no particular order:
3. MartinOC - weizen. Good carb and nice banana.
6. Mayor of Mildura - stouty stout. Very roasty and chocolatey.
14. Mudd - rauchbier. This beer has made me like smoke beers for the first time. I have hated any smokey beer until having this one. Now I want more.
22. Mardoo- 1954 pale ale. Very nice. Nearly my ideal beer.
23. DJ_L3ThAL - chestnut pilsner. Little too sweet but still very tasty.

Latest posts

Back