Vic 2015 Xmas Case Swap TASTING

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got my beers off Yob. Thanks once again for muleing them mate.
Ready for the long weekendB)

23. DJ_L3ThAL - chestnut pilsner.
Bottle seemed slightly undercarbed. Poured with little head. Lovely light golden straw colour. Slight haze although I transported this beer last night.
Don't get much on the nose, possibly due to low carbonation.
Slightly sweet, higher carbonation would help, I would like it a bit drier.
Slightly nutty flavour that is well balanced- is that chestnuts?
Nice drop.
Cheers Mudd.

Thanks mudd!

Sadly it was my first CPBF'ing exercise so I lost a fair bit of carb in that process. The yeast was w34/70 and i think it contributed a bit more to the mouthfeel than i like, did another batch with s23 which i preferred. The chestnuts were raw, so their contribution is supposed to be very mild so I'm pleased so far with the feedback that its very subtle and gets peole thinking. As that was the appeal of the original bridge rd beer i was trying to clone :)

Just had the number 4 Belgian Golden Strong by JB. Made us think of when we were in Poperinge in 2007. Wicked, wicked beer. This style is on my list now.

VP Brewing said:
Just had the number 4 Belgian Golden Strong by JB. Made us think of when we were in Poperinge in 2007. Wicked, wicked beer. This style is on my list now.
Sweet! Thanks for the review Mr VP.

I hadn't tasted it recently, so not sure if the sharp fusels had smoothed out? How was the carb?

JB said:
Sweet! Thanks for the review Mr VP.

I hadn't tasted it recently, so not sure if the sharp fusels had smoothed out? How was the carb?
Carb was spot on. The only fault I could find was there wasn't enough. Wish I didn't share it.

3. Martin's Weizen

Slightly undercarbed is probably being nitpicky, I found carb OK. However it's probably because I held onto it for so long but it lost some of the phenolic banana that I recall in the glass you gave me at the case swap (which I loved!!!). This was still a very nice Weizen, thank you :)

11. Midnight Brew's Amber Ale

Nice one mate! Enjoyed it watching a late night movie last night. Only criticism is it could be 'deeper' or richer in malt backbone, but if you were leaning more on quaffable side then you were successful :)

Hey MB, would you mind throwing up your Amber recipe ^^?
Always keen to see different versions of Amber recipes - one of my current obsessions is nailing 2 different types of Amber (a caramelly one & a toasty one, then either with lots or subtle hops).

Cheers for the review Nath, glad you enjoyed it.

technobabble66 said:
Hey MB, would you mind throwing up your Amber recipe ^^?
Always keen to see different versions of Amber recipes - one of my current obsessions is nailing 2 different types of Amber (a caramelly one & a toasty one, then either with lots or subtle hops).
I was really disappointed with this brew and learnt a thing or two from it. To me I got no clear distinction between malt and hop character, I felt it was a bit muddied. Looking back through my notes this is the first brew I used mains water in for 1.5 years and lost 10% efficiency rather then the usual rainwater. I think I used just too many malts in this one also, instead of my simple approach I went the kitchen sink route again and with a few JW malts (no longer use them) and was disappointed.

I get exactly what you mean with the two types of amber ales. I feel that can be achieved through ingredients and water profile but again I struggle to get it to where I need. Getting that fine balance is still something I'm trying to achieve.

Anyway here is the recipe:
JW Pils 69.5%
Wey Munich 20%
Caraaroma 5%
Caramunich III 5%
Carafa special I 0.5%

Water was my balanced profile
Ca 95.5
Mg 9.4
Na 0.0
SO4 127.3
Cl 102.4
HCO3 0.3

Mash 66/72/78 for 60/10/Raise bag

Hops were Magnum FWH to 7IBU
Centennial in each cube , Chinook in one Coloumbus int he other to 20IBU
Dry hop around 2g p/l total of hops accordingly

Wyeast Greenbelt at 19C

If I were to do it all again id be going 90% Base (probably TFFMMO) and 10% caraaroma or special b :icon_cheers: , mash to suit profile I was looking for and water to either hop driven or malt driven. Hopping wise Id go a small amount at FWH and rest in cube, perhaps up the cube and skip the dry hop. 30 EBC seems to be the right colour, sometimes Ive put in a tad RB (0.5%) and sometimes I dont, this can be the difference between deep amber and red depending on the grain bill, boil, ect. I go 0.6 bitterness ratio for more malt driven and 0.75 for hop driven with lots of late hops.

I'll get there one day, trial and error along with understanding ingredients. I'm obsessed with all these experiments and they're paying off knowledge wise.

3 Martins Weizen.
Also tried this one last nite. Held up well. Obviously a well brewed beer. Bit more carbonation would have been nice. Apologies Martin on not drinking it fresher.

Cheers, MB !

10% drop in efficiency?! Why do you suspect? - pH issues?

Great to see the recipe, plus your extensive commentary. Very useful!
I typically have the same problem: kitchen sink recipes.
Yeah, i'd guess there's too many cara-thingies.
And i'm not sure about the Pilsner malt thing in Ambers. I find it lends a honey/golden syrup element that should work in an Amber, but something never seems to gel to produce that in this style. I'm guessing some of the other malty elements (e.g.: Munich) blur it too much so that element is lost and all you end up with is just a deficient maltiness from the Pils. Not sure on the JW thing either - i've always shelled the cash for German/UK stuff, but it may make no difference (lots of others make top beers with JW. Supposedly).
I reckon it surely has to have Munich, so that should be right, i s'pose. Though, again, i've suspected it might be muddying things in some of my other beers, as much as i like Munich.
I'm starting to believe the "Caramel Amber" version might be similar to an ESB: basically MO + Pale/Med crystal. *Maybe* with some Munich or Amber.
Whereas the Toasty Amber might be similar but with some Choc malt and less Light/Med crystal.

I'm starting to wonder about the benefits/potential of cube-graining for the toasty element...

I don't drink or brew enough to rush through several different versions to get a firm grip on what the hell is going on with the recipes for these 2 versions. So i'm merely speculating, and looking to gradually nail it over time. But i thought i'd just share where i'm up to at the moment :icon_cheers: I'm similarly obsessed with these "experiments". (though currently distracted by this pesky Belgian Candi Syrup conundrum).

Agree on the 30 EBC. I'd probably say more like 25-30 EBC, depending on whether you want a mid-depth or dark Amber.
I'm currently at a point where i think: if the majority of colour is coming from Med Crystal (maybe choc too) then it's a tan/brown. If its coming from CaraAroma &/or Roast Barley/Midnight Wheat, it'll be red.

I'd be very keen to see how the 90:10 MO:CaraAroma/SpecB goes. I'd guess more the "caramel" version, but with deeper raisiny flavours.
Hey, you should do a double batch: do 1 with hops & Greenbelt, the other with a good Belgian yeast and sugarz to target a Dubbel.

Fkn Greenbelt.
I feel like Billy Zane, thinking "Wyeast, when you gonna drop Greenbelt on us, buddy?!"

4. JB - Belgian golden strong. Bottled 2/12/2015
Wow, strong banana on the aroma, nicely brewed beer. Strong Belgian flavour, if I'm not mistaken a bit too much of a kick for a week nite.

AJ80 said:
6. Mayor of Mildura - Stouty Stout

Well, never has a name for a beer been more accurate. This is definitely a stout Stout. Pitch black with a thin dark tan head that hasn't really hung around. Burnt toast and coffee of the nose (breakfast stout anyone?). Flavour reminiscent of more burned toast and bitter dark chocolate. Plenty of body in the beer too and loving the low carbonation level. Deep bitterness, but tastes in balance to me. Very enjoyable beer mate, top notch.
Well I tried this when brewing sat nite. So black I couldn't see anything through 200w halogen worklight on the shed. Massive roast and chocolate which I loved. Poured thick - I was expecting it to to be very high bodied but actually was more on the more drinkable did. Really loved it- would be awesome by the pint.

mudd said:
4. JB - Belgian golden strong. Bottled 2/12/2015
Wow, strong banana on the aroma, nicely brewed beer. Strong Belgian flavour, if I'm not mistaken a bit too much of a kick for a week nite.
Cheers mate. Just a tame 11% Belgian, perfect any day in my book

Latest posts

Back