Qld Xmas In July 2007 - Case Consumption

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. winkle - Smokey IRA - bottled 19/6/07, drink it now big boy.
2. Screwtop - Klsch - Bottled 30 Jun 2007, drink after 01 Sep 2007
3. SQYRE -Caps Lock Porter - Ready to go down..(and probably come straight back up again)
4. Jye - American Rye, Ready to drink but a bit of cold conditioning may help the appearance.
5. Browndog - American Amber Ale Get into it now
6. FNQ Bunyip - A Smoked Porter///Cant remember when I bottled, seems Ok now, might be slightly undercarbed,, try it anyway ..
7. InCider - Captain's Daughter Porter Bottled 220707 serve cold and wet after 010907
8. Bonj - Bohemian Pilsner - filled from keg - lagered 4 weeks in keg. Drink whenever you want
9. bconnery - Dark Mild - Good now but could age another couple of weeks.
10. TidalPete - Scottish 80/-. Drink me now
11. Frogman - K&K APA. Bottled 17/06/07. Ready to drink anytime.
12. Chad - Witbier, Bottle conditioned, drink it now while it's fresh.
13. Mothballs - AAA. Keg conditioned good to drink now.
14. Stillscottish - Belgian Brown (Rochefort 8 attempt) Bottled 17/4/07. Should be ok now but leave a few weeks if you want.
15. Zizzle - Schwarzbier - bottled 24/7/2007
16. Tyred - Pale Ale - Should be fine for immediate consumption.
17. NickB - Very Ordinary Bitter. Ready to drink (yes it's carbed LOW), consume at cellar temps for best result!
18. Fixa - Bourbon Vanilla Porter: Bottled 14/7/07. Leave for a few more weeks yet.
19. Berp - Dry Stout - ready now - filled from a keg

Jye's #4

American Rye

Appearance - Cloudy, no head, small amounts of bubbles congregating at the edge, toffee coloured

Carbonation - slight, no head.

Aroma - Just like NickB's - Hoppy on the nose to start with, dropped off in scent, but not flavour.

Taste - Even on the palate, bitter on the aftertaste.

Overall - Good for a first Kit & Kilo :p , full body for the style, and as always, points for spelling you name right on the label. I've tasted a few of this style. but my palette is leaning at this time of year towards the darker side of the force.

And just for Nick, a picture of him tasting a "Landsborough Lambic"
P7280133.jpg

#12 Chad's witbier

This is very tasty. Poured a lovely light colour with a compact but well defined head. Definite coriander flavour. I couldn't detect much orange flavour, but that's how my palate is calibrated, so your mileage may vary.

The head didn't last long, and I felt it was a bit under carbonated. I recently brewed my own wit, but I would have to say that Chad's makes mine look poor in comparison.

A lovely beer.... thoroughly enjoyed. Thanks Chad. Very nice. :chug:

10. Tidal Pete's Scottish 80/-

Smell of sweet malt when pouring in. Great dark colour. Nice malt flavour. I found the sweetness to be at times a little too much but it faded with each mouthful.

Head was non existent but I blame the glass. Carbonation and mouthfeel was spot on.

Hint of smoked or peatiness right at the end.

Overall I really enjoyed this beer, but did find the sweetness a little cloying, but not by much.

The "not to style" character that Tidal Pete mentioned somewhere didn't jump out at me so I am guessing the hop or yeast choice is surprising but I'm sure all will be revealed :)

10. TidalPete - Scottish 80/- Drink me now

Appearance - Nice medium to dark brown, with a red'ish hue.

Carbonation - Perfect carbonation levels but like the others noted, the head was very low, and by the end of the glass it had gone completely. The head that was there was a light tan colour.

Aroma - It might be just me, but I got a slight bubblegum aroma, maybe it was the sweetness coming through. There was also a hint of sherry coming through too. I'm no Scottish expert so maybe this is fine.

Taste - Definite sweetness, probably a little too sweet for me. I got a light maltiness towards the back palette. I get that same sherry presence. A medium level bitterness.

Overall - I think this comes in close to style, but is probably a little too sweet, regardless of whether it was too sweet for me.

11. Frogman - K&K APA

Lovely golden colour and great clarity. Creamy white head that remained well throughout.

Some fruity aroma.

Great hop flavour!

Citrusy and the hop additions lent a body to the beer all by themselves. A little lacking in malt body but I felt that it was so well hopped that it kind of didn't matter.

I really liked this beer. Barring a little malt background this was everything an APA should be!

Perhaps you should post a little on your kit and kilo methods on this site Frogman cause you are certainly doing something right!

10. Tidal Pete's Scottish

oh, and this is a wild stab in the dark, but I'm voting for Tidal Pete perhaps having thrown in some belgian candi sugar from Ross in his scottish ale as his 'out of style' aspect, but I'm not sure why I think that. The idea just came to me long after I'd finished the beer...

Due to reasons that will later become apparent...(say about 12 hours after consumption)

I have decided to change the name from Sqyre's Caps Lock Porter..(thanks Sean you idiot)

to

SQYRE'S BROWN WATER PORTER...

You will work it out... :p

oh and DRINK IT NOW !!!!!!

It cures what ailes ya!! ...more commonly constipation...

Sqyre..

Ps i will start trying everyones once the doctor says i can come off the Penicilin...(thanks again.. Incider) :p

Winkle's Smokey IRA

Aroma: Very low aroma overall. Some malt and some esters in there Some ethanol and higher alcohols

Appearance: Forms a fin head that is a crescent around the glaa, supported by good carbonation, but not great head retention. This may well be the glass I am using. Clarity is great, almost brilliant. Colour is a beutiful deep mahogany. mmmmm. Mahogany...

Flavour: I didn't get any smoke in the aroma but the first sip gives you a very quick, light hit of smoke. This quickly fades to a malt-dominated beer with a medium bitterness, just in the right place. Finish is dry and slightly hot (higher alcohols?) with a slight return of the smoke.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a good deal of rich creaminess on the tongue - beautiful! Carbonation is medium, or maybe a tad too high for this beer.

Overall: This is an excellent drop, Winkle, and good to see the Queenslanders producing stuff equally as good as those down south (at least the first one). The malt is well balanced with the bitterness and the smoke is certainly there, but by no means overwhelming, as it should be. Not sure what your fermentation temp was, but it might have been a bit high since the finish is just a touch hot.

Berp.

# 5. Browndog - American Amber Ale

Appearance - Poured with good head, lasted reasonably well, great clarity and carbonation, a beautiful amber colour.

Aroma - Typical and to style. The aroma hinted at perfect hop malt balance.

Taste - Carbonation good, great mouthfeel a touch of caramel to style, bitterness - on the high side for style but for me perfect in this beer.

Overall - A GREAT BEER.

#12. Chad - Witbier

Appearance - Poured with good white head, lasted well, very clear for a bottle conditioned beer, carbonation excellent for style, pale straw colour, perfect for style.

Aroma - Typical zesty and crisp to style, slight floral note from late Hallertauer addition.

Taste - Light body, pleasant balance while slightly dry. Carbonation high to style, zesty, crisp with a very slight tart finish. A very delicate beer, pleasant and refreshing. I WANT MUCH MORE

Overall - CLASSIC. The most difficult of all brewing skills is balancing subtleties Chad, you have nailed it on this one. CONGRATULATIONS.

Two GREAT BEERS tonight

9(2) - bconnery - IPA.
Poured a hazy copper-brown, topped by a generous white fluffy head with medium to high carbonation evident (may have been the etched glass).
Aroma was a surprise - distinct big citrus, fruity and floral hop notes with a hint of malt.
Flavour was similar, driven by citrus (lemon) and fruity (berries?) hop flavours all the way to a longish bitter finish. There is malt in there but its very much to the background. Very much in the vein of a good AIPA, but I cheated and checked the recipe - that most US of English hops - Brambling Cross hops and lots of 'em. A good beer if you like hops (and I do) maybe a touch more crystal or something to lift the malt profile, but an uncompromising big IPA by anyones standards. English IIPA next , eh what old fruit?

Berp's Dry Stout
Appearance - Black like a stout should be! :)

Carbonation - No head, very small hiss on opening.

Aroma - I still have a blocked nose! :-(

Overall - Berp, I love dark beers and this is no exception. A little less mouthfeel than I expected, but it did mean I wouldn't be full after just one bottle. This beer is well balanced and mild, and could easily be a session beer for me. Nice work. :super:

Fixa - I had your beer last night and it was excellent, and all my notes from last night read: "Excellent burst of flavour explodes above the palate.." :D And then I stopped. Great beer, I'd love another.

Sqyre - Caps Lock (BROWN WATER) Porter

Appearance - Brown like a porter should be! :)

Carbonation - No head, very small hiss on opening.

Aroma - I still have a blocked nose! :-(

Overall - Berp Sqyre, I love dark beers and this is no exception. A little less mouthfeel than I expected, but it did mean I wouldn't be full after just one bottle. This beer is well balanced and mild, and could easily be a session beer for me. Nice work. :super:

Berp's Dry Stout

Overall - Berp, I love dark beers and this is no exception. A little less mouthfeel than I expected, but it did mean I wouldn't be full after just one bottle. This beer is well balanced and mild, and could easily be a session beer for me. Nice work. :super:

Oh yes, I should have mentioned that my stout is only 3.7%. Reason being is that it is a stout I brew for my wife while she is breastfeeding (Mum's stout). So low in alcohol but high in yummy beerness.

Definitely puts it in the sessino beer category.

Berp.

Oh yes, I should have mentioned that my stout is only 3.7%. Reason being is that it is a stout I brew for my wife while she is breastfeeding (Mum's stout). So low in alcohol but high in yummy beerness.

Definitely puts it in the sessino beer category.

Berp.
Loved it, and it didn't last long! I've made a few beers in a similar vein so I can 'neck' a few more when the weather is really hot.

Chad - (the other Jye, with less pixels)

# 12 Batzbier

Appearance - Pale yellow, slight head the antithesis of the Porters and Stouts!

Carbonation - slight, but this was very cold coming from the freezer - not sure how that impacts on the head.

Aroma - Great ambush of hops initially :) Fruity!

Overall - Worth the wit. Great style for my taste, and especially as I have been on 'brown town' :blink: with darker beers so far this winter. Lovely fruit/bitterness combination, perfect mouthfeel. Very balanced. Great work! :super:

Sqyre,s Porter

Aroma: Rich malty aroma with some chocolate and caramel as well as a woody aroma. No hops.

Appearance: Thin off-white head supported by medium-high carbonation. Very good clarity, with a very very dark colour which is a deep red/brown.

Flavour: Rich and creamy initially with a strong malty flavour. Then turns bitter and finishes off quite dry, with a lingering bitterness. No strong hop flavour in there, not that it is needed. There is a slight sour tinge to the beer, as well as a hint of oxidation (wet cardboard). Overall, a fine balance between the malt and bitterness, leaning towards the bitterness side.

Mouthfeel: medium/full bosy. Definite creamy texture. Carbonation is on the high side,ad gives a carbonation bite on the tongue. Perhaps this is also contributing to the sour note.

Overall: A finely crafted beer, Sqyre! It hasa a great chocolate malt character to it and a great balance of the malt and hops. The oxidation is a minor flaw at this stage and doesn't impinge on flavour/aroma too much.
Nice one Sqyre, let see how I go with it tomorrow morning.

Berp.

#3 Sqyre's CAPS LOCK brown water porter

Aroma: Chocolate, malty aroma

Appearance: Dark brown with beautiful ruby and mahogany highlights. Poured a nice head that faded quickly.

Flavour: slightly sweet on the back of the tongue. Chocolate-y malt flavour. Tastes like a porter :p

Mouthfeel: nice and fizzy (what? Is that not popular? meh.). good mouthfeel... I hat reviews... I liked this beer, is that good enough?

Overall: Very tasty Sqyre. As I said in the chat while I was drinking it, I could go a session on it. Very nice.

#9 squared - bconnery EIPA.

Appearance - Poured with very good head, lasted reasonably well, good clarity, carbonation high, nice brown/copper.

Aroma - Hops to the fore. Nice aroma probably the BC with little malt, to style I would say.

Taste - Carbonation high, nice bitterness - on style and perfect in this beer, slightly lacking in malt/crystal.

Overall - Another good beer from Ben, and as usual not so down the aisle when it comes to style.

I've never really done this before, so don't mind if my feedback is crap!

Mothballs amber ale; Moderate carbonation (might have been the glass), beautiful citrus flavours, slight caramel taste? A beer i could really get stuck into, was sorry to see the bottom of the bottle.

Browndogs Amber Ale; Good carbonation, clear, deep amber colour. A touch more bitter than mothball's AAA, but not overpoweringly so. Bloody beautiful beer mate!

Browndog's American Amber Ale

Aroma: Fruity hop aroma with some malt too. Some oxidation (wet cardboard). Underlying esters and caramel.

Appearance: Love the label ;) Very thin head forms a ring around the edge of the glass. Rich red colour. Great clarity.

Flavour: Intensely perfumy in the initial sip! Quickly develops to an assertively/intensely bitter beer. The hops are certainly dominating in this beer. Some underlying malt. The finish is intensely bitter and mouth puckering.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Some astringency from the hops, presumably. Carbonation is about right for the beer.

Overall: Definitely a hoppy beer. Dare I say I think you've overdone it with the hops. More like an IPA. The perfumy aroma when you first take a sip is certainly not something I was expecting, especially since it only appears when the beer is in your mouth and disappears just as quickly.

As I am drinking more of this, the hop bitterness and flavour are taming down a bit and this one is tunring into a very drinkable beer. But you know its a bitter beer when you can taste the bitterness on your teeth!

Berp.

Don't have the faintest idea what I'm doing here.

#12 Chad Witbier

Sort of cider coloured, probably slightly darker.
Small tight head. Appears to be lasting. Carbonation noticeable, but rather low (?)
Can't work out the smell - similar to a heavily spiced ginger beer i once had but without the ginger. Cloves, coriander ??
I like the taste, but I cannot work out what part it is that I like. I've only had one wit before and this one leaves it for dead.
Very nice mouthfeel as well.

I'm just going to relax with the rest of this. A very nice and tasty drop.

16. Tyred - Pale Ale - Should be fine for immediate consumption.

Appearance - For a Pale Ale, this was quite a dark beer, being deep amber in colour.

Carbonation - Medium to high, which helped bring out the light bitterness. Had a really good creamy head that lasted to the end.

Aroma - I served this a bit colder than I expected, and got a very light floral aroma which picked up as the beer warmed. I think the hop levels were just right.

Taste - Bitterness and hop flavour were in check with the aroma levels, and helped balance out the beer.

Overall - This was a very easy drinking pale ale, that had a nice clean fermentation. The only fault I found was that it seemed just a tad thin in body. Otherwise a very nice beer. :chug:

Back