VIC 2016 Xmas Case Swap Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
9. mayor of mildura - Cocko's Cream Ale, bottled 1-11-16. Ready. Probably better drunk sooner. Bottle conditioned. Might want to give a few days in fridge to settle

Gonna start with the fiancé said "this is alright" and had four more sips than the usual two!!! Wow that means a lot.
This has a lovely straw colour, lots of carbonation with a good crisp bite. Super clean flavour, can't pick if it's malt or hops so the balance is right in the middle, nice firm bitterness though. Aroma is a subtle, can't think of descriptors but I'm really enjoying this!! Perfect for this warm night.

If this is what the cream Ale style should be I'm convinced. Recipe? I'd like to brew this. Two swaps in a row I've asked for your recipe, thanks heaps for sharing [emoji1] ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1481626229.735681.jpg

10. JB - Smoke on the porter

I really liked this; though probably sitting close to the edge of my smoke tolerance, but nicely balanced. I had this a few days ago at my dad's in Bega and sorry I can't be more specific was a great beer we both enjoyed it.

13. Mofox1 - Thirsty Monk, Belgian Amber Ale. CPF from keg, drink fresh.

This beer disappeared way to quickly, nice creamy head that stayed the journey. Malt, hops and esters sang beautifully in tune. Makes me wish it was a keg swap, I could easily have gone another or two.

1 - Cocko - Belgian Extra Cock Pale Ale

I too had a sample at the swap, and as others have said great drop just needs a little more carb. I'm on my second glass now and the tartness works for me.

17. GrumpyPaul - Russian Roulette ESB - drink at any stage and see what happens

Leave this one age! Low on carb with a light tan head that dissipates too quickly though has left some lacing crystal clear red amber. Big malt presence first up backed by a judicious bitterness on the finish leaving a slightly sweet after taste and begging you to take just another mouthful.

This is truely a great beer, carbonation does let it down a little, but damn! I'd give this 3 months to allow those malts to really get their mojo on.

13. Mofox1 - Thirsty Monk, Belgian Amber Ale. CPF from keg, drink fresh

It's all been said, can't say it any better. Bloody magnificent.

Point me to the recipe or make me a keg.

9. mayor of mildura - Cocko's Cream Ale
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1481706043.398660.jpg
What the hell is this? I thought this was similar to a light Belgian ale, as it really comes across as that way. I looked up the style guides and read US so threw them out the window. It's like a cross between a VB and Patersbier. 5 stars and I want the damn recipe.

JB said:
13. Mofox1 - Thirsty Monk, Belgian Amber Ale. CPF from keg, drink fresh

It's all been said, can't say it any better. Bloody magnificent.

Point me to the recipe or make me a keg.
Loving the love I'm getting from this one. Truly stoking my ego.

But I'm not making you a keg... ooh... unless it's a swap.

Recipe was back in the WAYB-2016 thread: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/89247-what-are-you-brewing-2016/?p=1413136

It was a double batch, the swap got Jarrylo in the cube, the other got Idaho #7 (007/golden hop). Currently the Jarrylo is the winner... it's got a nice light fruit/spice vibe, 007 is a bit more citrus and herbal (although to be fair it's only been in the keg a week).

I've been holding back on my comments... tantric.

1. Cocko - Belgian XPA 6% - drink sooner than later
This is a hot day hammock beer if there ever was one. Slight sour edge, blends well with a fruit/spicy edge. Carb spot on. Wouldn't hit this up every night, but a bit like my rhubarb saison, it's refreshing, interesting and I'd keep coming back to this every hot weekend or so.

9. mayor of mildura - Cocko's Cream Ale, bottled 1-11-16. Ready. Probably better drunk sooner. Bottle conditioned. Might want to give a few days in fridge to settle.
This one sits in the curious category... opened it and I got a massive aussie larger stink (good) yet the beer itself was clean, slightly sweet with a dry finish and light light light. Actually - Wigdude hit the nail with this one. VB and patersbier it is.

22. Mardoo - Heady Snipper DIPA - A couple of you got these. Drink ASAP
Olah! Happy to admit yours turned out better. So much lush. Hops freaking everywhere. hops... Hops... Ungh!..... (hooray!)

21. Midnight brew - September Stout
Cam... this was carbed. Like actually, really, carbed. Like a normal person does it. Also super delish, really dry and more than a hint of hops, almost thought I'd picked up the black IPA at first (it was a random fridge pluck - so I had no set style expectations). Big black roast flavour, interesting nose, quite light mouthfeel and I didn't need that pumping syringe! Good one - I'd enjoy sitting back with a few of these. Recipe please?

6. Reardo - Robust Choc Porter
Reeeaaaaardo! Man - this one has teeth. And balls. Teeth-balls. Huge body to this beer... liquid silk with a solid bitterness immediately after. Bit too much of a carb bite - I'll give this one a swirl (drinking now) and let it warm / gas out a bit. Well done. Love this style...

DJ_L3ThAL said:
9. mayor of mildura - Cocko's Cream Ale, bottled 1-11-16. Ready. Probably better drunk sooner. Bottle conditioned. Might want to give a few days in fridge to settle

Gonna start with the fiancé said "this is alright" and had four more sips than the usual two!!! Wow that means a lot.
This has a lovely straw colour, lots of carbonation with a good crisp bite. Super clean flavour, can't pick if it's malt or hops so the balance is right in the middle, nice firm bitterness though. Aroma is a subtle, can't think of descriptors but I'm really enjoying this!! Perfect for this warm night.

If this is what the cream Ale style should be I'm convinced. Recipe? I'd like to brew this. Two swaps in a row I've asked for your recipe, thanks heaps for sharing [emoji1]
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1481626229.735681.jpg

TheWiggman said:
9. mayor of mildura - Cocko's Cream Ale
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1481706043.398660.jpg
What the hell is this? I thought this was similar to a light Belgian ale, as it really comes across as that way. I looked up the style guides and read US so threw them out the window. It's like a cross between a VB and Patersbier. 5 stars and I want the damn recipe.
Thanks guys

The recipe is fairly simple. A rough knock off of a JZ recipe I found online somewhere.

I ended up with 23 L in the fermenter. OG 1052 FG 1010

3kg Maris Otter
2kg Wheat Malt
1kg Polenta (dry from supermarket)
60g hallertau mittelfrueh @ 60
US05 (I pitched a pint of fresh slurry from a batch i'd just kegged) @ 20

Also I apologise for being slack and not drinking more. It has been hectic here. I'll try and make up for it this weekend.

Drink now
18. awesome fury - Goat Amber
9. mayor of mildura - Cocko's Cream Ale, bottled 1-11-16. Ready. Probably better drunk sooner. Bottle conditioned. Might want to give a few days in fridge to settle.

From mid December
7. Nullnvoid - Rye Pale Ale Surprise - Drink after 16th December @ 2:38pm
5. VP Brewing - Tripel - Bottled 12.10.16. Ready to drink Xmas time. (Leave longer if you can) Keep refrigerated.
19. WarmBeer - Uncle Warmy's Breakfast Stout (Keep warm for at least 2 weeks. Maybe end of Dec would be better)
22. Mardoo - Two Fuzzy Nuts - Roasted Chestnut Amber - drink Xmas or later. Will age.
10. JB - Smoke on the porter - drink after Mardoo's beer :)

Christmas Day / Boxing Day
2. Idzy - Black Summer

January
24. malt junkie - DIPA, Bottled today 23/11 Ready around new year
8. DJ_L3THAL - Dusseldorf Altbier. Carbed by 20/12 (Leave at room temp). Lager in fridge after that for minimum 2 weeks, preferably 1 month+
4. AJ80 - North German Altbier (aka Son of DJ - ready from 15 January or so)

February
23. TheWiggman - StrongRAD. Bottled October, can be opened any time but ideally Feb or later.

UNKNOWN
11. thearn

Drink now
18. awesome fury - Goat Amber

From mid December
7. Nullnvoid - Rye Pale Ale Surprise - Drink after 16th December @ 2:38pm
5. VP Brewing - Tripel - Bottled 12.10.16. Ready to drink Xmas time. (Leave longer if you can) Keep refrigerated.
19. WarmBeer - Uncle Warmy's Breakfast Stout (Keep warm for at least 2 weeks. Maybe end of Dec would be better)
22. Mardoo - Two Fuzzy Nuts - Roasted Chestnut Amber - drink Xmas or later. Will age.
10. JB - Smoke on the porter - drink after Mardoo's beer :)

Christmas Day / Boxing Day
2. Idzy - Black Summer
11. thearn - Citra sumptin' sumptin'

January
8. DJ_L3THAL - Dusseldorf Altbier. Carbed by 20/12 (Leave at room temp). Lager in fridge after that for minimum 2 weeks, preferably 1 month+
4. AJ80 - North German Altbier (aka Son of DJ - ready from 15 January or so)

February
23. TheWiggman - StrongRAD. Bottled October, can be opened any time but ideally Feb or later.

---------------------------

Tim posted ~8/12 that his Citra something probably needed an extra couple of weeks, so i assume that means ~xmas day onwards.
Just thought i'd add it in to complete the timeline of swaps B)

Hurr durr, reach into fridge lucky dip style. What could it be? A beer I put in there by mistake. If you're lucky Grumpy one of your under carbed examples is probably in there to be under appreciated soon.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1481789249.286109.jpg
Hmmmmm... I drank this before knowing what it was, took a whiff and thought "malty... raisin and caramel characters and little hop aroma". I was guessing an English bitter. I took a reasonable swig and WHAMO there is some body in this. I was tossing up whether it was a high finishing ESB or perhaps Grumpy's beer and was impressed that there was no infection to speak of. In fact, very clean. And full-bodied. Quite so. Then I checked AHB and realised I was drinking a bloody strong beer with zero awareness. Since finishing the amount pictured I am now very aware that this beer is not your typical Rogers'. I can't really taste or smell many hops to the extent I thought it was English, but I can certainly taste the body and bitterness. There's toffee and caramel that reminds me a lot of an old ale. It's a deceptive brew for sure. Can you put ABV warnings on your beers in future please?

13. Mofox1 - Thirsty Monk, Belgian Amber Ale.

Man this is a great beer. Rich and malty with perfect creamy carbonation. Epic head retention and brilliant clarity. Perfectly balanced. This is one of those beers that highlights the one downside of the case swaps...you only get one bottle of each! I. Need. More. Very well brewed Mofox and thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Back