VIC 2016 Xmas Case Swap Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine is ready to go. 5% and was bottled in mid September.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Can I ask out of interest, what is a goat amber?
When you google "goat amber" one of the first things to come up will be goat amber discharge....

DO NOT CLICK ON THAT LINK

Drink now
18. awesome fury - Goat Amber
1. Cocko - Belgian XPA 6% - drink sooner than later
9. mayor of mildura - Cocko's Cream Ale, bottled 1-11-16. Ready. Probably better drunk sooner. Bottle conditioned. Might want to give a few days in fridge to settle.
13. Mofox1 - Thirsty Monk, Belgian Amber Ale. CPF from keg, drink fresh.
22. Mardoo - Heady Snipper DIPA - A couple of you got these. Drink ASAP
17. GrumpyPaul - Russian Roulette ESB - drink at any stage and see what happens
21. Midnight brew - September Stout
6. Reardo - Robust Choc Porter

From mid December
7. Nullnvoid - Rye Pale Ale Surprise - Drink after 16th December @ 2:38pm
5. VP Brewing - Tripel - Bottled 12.10.16. Ready to drink Xmas time. (Leave longer if you can) Keep refrigerated.
19. WarmBeer - Uncle Warmy's Breakfast Stout (Keep warm for at least 2 weeks. Maybe end of Dec would be better)
22. Mardoo - Two Fuzzy Nuts - Roasted Chestnut Amber - drink Xmas or later. Will age.
10. JB - Smoke on the porter - drink after Mardoo's beer :)

Christmas Day / Boxing Day
2. Idzy - Black Summer

January
24. malt junkie - DIPA, Bottled today 23/11 Ready around new year
8. DJ_L3THAL - Dusseldorf Altbier. Carbed by 20/12 (Leave at room temp). Lager in fridge after that for minimum 2 weeks, preferably 1 month+4. AJ80 - North German Altbier (aka Son of DJ - ready from 15 January or so)[/size]

February
23. TheWiggman - Radieuse, drink Feb

UNKNOWN
11. thearn

9. mayor of mildura - Cocko's Cream Ale

Really, really nice. First sniff after the pour was that intense, "wild" hop aroma and I remembered pounding Genessee Cream Ale with my mate from Philly. I don't know, I call that aroma skunky, but in a skunk bud kind of way rather than light-struck hops. Anyway, the aroma took me back and I enjoyed it. The head was beautiful and creamy and lasted, as well as lacing all the way to the bottom of the glass, and then there was that sweet, bready malt that just kept going. The carb level was perfect for the beer and matched the body well. The texture of the combined body, carb level and creaminess of the head was one of the great things about this. Kicked the shit out of Genessee, to be frank. A really well-brewed beer that I had planned to leave half for today, but couldn't. I easily could have drunk another or two. Clearly MoM knows best.

What were the hops, by the way?

1. Cocko - Belgian XPA 6% - drink sooner than later.

White and murky AF. Poured with a little head that quickly dissipated, but kept it's low level of carbonation through the whole glass. Really strong pear and a bit of clove aroma, but not getting a whole lot of hops. Bit of Belgian funkiness.
It's tart and refreshing with firm bitterness, and more of that pear-fruit flavour I associate with a Coopers. There's a bit of sourness in there, I assume that is deliberate, cause it works well. What yeast did you use?
A pleasant, refreshing, beer while watering the garden. Made me think more of a slightly-soured Belgian Pale Ale or Blond.

7/10 - would Cocko again.

I'm excited to try these, picking up my crate and cube today. The fresh ones will go straight into the fridge and I'll dive in this weekend [emoji1]

I've never been more excited for a, erm, Cocko.

Mardoo said:
9. mayor of mildura - Cocko's Cream Ale

Really, really nice. First sniff after the pour was that intense, "wild" hop aroma and I remembered pounding Genessee Cream Ale with my mate from Philly. I don't know, I call that aroma skunky, but in a skunk bud kind of way rather than light-struck hops. Anyway, the aroma took me back and I enjoyed it. The head was beautiful and creamy and lasted, as well as lacing all the way to the bottom of the glass, and then there was that sweet, bready malt that just kept going. The carb level was perfect for the beer and matched the body well. The texture of the combined body, carb level and creaminess of the head was one of the great things about this. Kicked the shit out of Genessee, to be frank. A really well-brewed beer that I had planned to leave half for today, but couldn't. I easily could have drunk another or two. Clearly MoM knows best.

What were the hops, by the way?
Nice one glad you enjoyed it. Hops are Hallertauer Mittelfrüh . Bittering addition only. A fair wack though. 60g @ 60 min in 20L.

9. mayor of mildura - Cocko's Cream Ale, bottled 1-11-16.
Also got into this today, I really loved the malt balance and initial hit of bitterness, well carbed, lovely white head that persisted. Though my initial mouthful makes me think this may have fermented a little warm, it faded quickly, and I could probably drink a sixer of this without blinking.

​Next up Midnight brews September stout

it will be well and truely undercarbed by now. We drank it yesterday night and michael was refreshed by the goat ale.

awesomefury said:
it will be well and truely undercarbed by now. We drank it yesterday night and michael was refreshed by the goat ale.
nothing a carb cap won't sort right quick.

awesomefury said:
It floated my goat...

goat.jpg

Just checked my crate and got rather excited to see I fluked one of Mardoo's heady snipper DIPAs. This makes up for the fact I could only have one tiny little sip of it during the swap (stupid driving). Is now in the fridge to keep fresh. Cheers Mardoo!

Ps. I'm sure your other swap beer is equally delish!!

1. Cocko - Belgian XPA 6% - drink sooner than later.

Sorta similar to Warmbeer - new age cloudy, gently carbed which persists, some spice, some esters, slight tartness, perfect with my post dinner couch chill out. Cheers brah.

AJ80 said:
Just checked my crate and got rather excited to see I fluked one of Mardoo's heady snipper DIPAs. This makes up for the fact I could only have one tiny little sip of it during the swap (stupid driving). Is now in the fridge to keep fresh. Cheers Mardoo!

Ps. I'm sure your other swap beer is equally delish!!
The sooner drank the better :) The other beer is very left field compared to the DIPA.

I'm not exactly, the beer tasting notes kind of guy. This one has impressed me.

10. JB - Smoke on the porter

I was dredding this beer, as I've had a bad experience with smoked malt beers. Ask me next time about our visit to James Squire and our smoked larger.
To my suprise this was a well balanced beer, the deep flavour of the darker malts really made the smoke flavour subtle but still gave this beer a great flavour and after taste.
It's a loverly rich porter and as one of my favourte styles has made me want to brew this! smooth silkly, not realy tart or astringent, LOL (look at me)

Smokes beers are back on the brewable list.

Latest posts

Back