VIC 2016 Xmas Case Swap Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
13. Mofox1 - Thirsty Monk, Belgian Amber Ale. CPF from keg, drink fresh
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1481104056.716100.jpg

The first thing that struck me was the clarity then the colour - striking looking beverage with two shades of reddish amber that really is a delight. First whiff reminds me wheat phenols, a bit unusual. Taste wise it has a lingering sweetness probably from the alcohol and what comes across as crystal. The darker flavours don't blend quite right with the yeast, it's hard to describe. There's some plum and familiar Belgian flavours in there but perhaps wheat? Hard to tell. Bitterness seemed a bit too heavy early in the glass but after a few sips it's balanced.
Not a bad effort mofox, quite pleasant and drinkable and comes across as a recipe in development because I believe it's otherwise well brewed. Perhaps a bigger yeast pitch or maybe explore other yeasts. It's always refreshing though to pour a bright HB.

Ed: sorry if that seemed overly negative, just read it after I posted and got bad vibes. Rough long day at work. It's decent, honestly, I just did the Roger Ebert thing. Apologies. I did enjoy it.

TheWiggman said:
13. Mofox1 - Thirsty Monk, Belgian Amber Ale. CPF from keg, drink fresh

The first thing that struck me was the clarity then the colour - striking looking beverage with two shades of reddish amber that really is a delight. First whiff reminds me wheat phenols, a bit unusual. Taste wise it has a lingering sweetness probably from the alcohol and what comes across as crystal. The darker flavours don't blend quite right with the yeast, it's hard to describe. There's some plum and familiar Belgian flavours in there but perhaps wheat? Hard to tell. Bitterness seemed a bit too heavy early in the glass but after a few sips it's balanced.
Not a bad effort mofox, quite pleasant and drinkable and comes across as a recipe in development because I believe it's otherwise well brewed. Perhaps a bigger yeast pitch or maybe explore other yeasts. It's always refreshing though to pour a bright HB.
Probably spot on with all except the wheat. Yes, everything I do is too bitter. Bigger pitch needed - the 3787 was 4 months from prod and probably needed two steps in the flask instead of one. No crystal... but there was 27% abbey malt which does impact many of the same qualities.

The second cube finished a few points lower thanks to the larger pitch using some of the cake off this one (and the second cake goes to the westy12). My recipes... always a work in progress. ;-)

Prost!

Drink now
18. awesome fury - Goat Amber
1. Cocko - Belgian XPA 6% - drink sooner than later
9. mayor of mildura - Cocko's Cream Ale, bottled 1-11-16. Ready. Probably better drunk sooner. Bottle conditioned. Might want to give a few days in fridge to settle.
13. Mofox1 - Thirsty Monk, Belgian Amber Ale. CPF from keg, drink fresh.
22. Mardoo - Heady Snipper DIPA - A couple of you got these. Drink ASAP
17. GrumpyPaul - Russian Roulette ESB - drink at any stage and see what happens
21. Midnight brew - September Stout
6. Reardo - Robust Choc Porter

From mid December
7. Nullnvoid - Rye Pale Ale Surprise - Drink after 16th December @ 2:38pm
5. VP Brewing - Tripel - Bottled 12.10.16. Ready to drink Xmas time. (Leave longer if you can) Keep refrigerated.
19. WarmBeer - Uncle Warmy's Breakfast Stout (Keep warm for at least 2 weeks. Maybe end of Dec would be better)
22. Mardoo - Two Fuzzy Nuts - Roasted Chestnut Amber - drink Xmas or later. Will age.
10. JB - Smoke on the porter - drink after Mardoo's beer :)

Christmas Day / Boxing Day
2. Idzy - Black Summer

January
24. malt junkie - DIPA, Bottled today 23/11 Ready around new year
8. DJ_L3THAL - Dusseldorf Altbier. Carbed by 20/12 (Leave at room temp). Lager in fridge after that for minimum 2 weeks, preferably 1 month+4. AJ80 - North German Altbier (aka Son of DJ - ready from 15 January or so)[/size]

February
23. TheWiggman - Radieuse, drink Feb

UNKNOWN
11. thearn

Just posting so I can chill the right beers... cheers

Ok, I am going in:

1. Cocko - Belgian XPA 6% - drink sooner than later

Dude, this beer is ******* awesome, it is like you have super brewing powers!! I don't wanna pump up your tyres, but lets get real - a beer filled with a beer gun, I tilt my hat!!

Love you.

awesomefury said:
I'm not exactly, the beer tasting notes kind of guy. This one has impressed me.

10. JB - Smoke on the porter

I was dredding this beer, as I've had a bad experience with smoked malt beers. Ask me next time about our visit to James Squire and our smoked larger.
To my suprise this was a well balanced beer, the deep flavour of the darker malts really made the smoke flavour subtle but still gave this beer a great flavour and after taste.
It's a loverly rich porter and as one of my favourte styles has made me want to brew this! smooth silkly, not realy tart or astringent, LOL (look at me)

Smokes beers are back on the brewable list.
Nice work AF, very glad I could sway you mate.

21. Midnight brew - September Stout

Straight up loved this, poured with a thick tight tan head, carb was spot on, laced the glass to the bottom with persistent head over the 90 mins or so I was drinking it. As I went to take my first mouthful the aroma of roast hit me, nice mouth feel, flavours of roast, dark chocolate, and vanilla though the vanilla fade as the beer warmed. This is the stout you want on tap at home. Not sure of the ABV but following MOM's with this had me to bed pretty early.

Thanks for the great beer.

Mardoo said:
Everything too bitter? What do you reckon is going on there?
Yep - oversized thumb of enthusiasm. What? 15g bittering addtition?!! That looks WEAK - MAN UP AND BREW... So the 15g gets rounded to 20g, but actually pour 25g... then I double the cube hops...

My citra might need a couple more weeks. Was bottled 21/11. Wrecked that I missed the swap sounds like it was a blast. Cheers.

13. Mofox1 - Thirsty Monk, Belgian Amber Ale

OK, this is pretty much an ideal base for an American Amber. Bash this fucker with late, late citrussy C-hops and a whack of Simcoe, drop the carb a couple points and you'll have the ingredients for the evenings that fuelled plenty of stumbles home during my time in Portland, Oregon. Either that or go full Belgian with WLP500 fermented above 20C, bump up the hops and age it for a year so the hops descend into the pool of malt the way I'd like to drown in a tub of warm golden syrup. Oddly enough this beer pairs very interestingly with spinach and beetroot puree. (Don't ask.) Beetroot Amber? No.

I like this as a beer that inspires me to reconsider where mine can go. I really need to straighten the **** up and get the American Amber style down more, as it's a longtime favourite of mine. I know you told me some about the grain bill, and IIRC it's certainly a non-traditional way to go about the AA style - not that you were going about that - but I may have a solid look at this as a starting point. Is that a review? I liked this. If I were to make it I'd want to take it more strongly in either the American Amber or Belgian Amber direction. It's a solid jumping off point for really nailing something exceedingly good, style or no style. Oh yeah, gorgeous, creamy head that lasted!

So, would you consider sharing the grain bill you used?

Cheers man. I'll need to Belgian this up a bit more next time. Candy syrup or a more stinky yeast?

The grist was Pilsner, 27% Abbey, 3% Carabo. OG 1.065.

I like the AA idea... FWIW, there was a smaller amount of the Abbey in the el Dorado IPA I brought along, can't remember exactly... Maybe 7%. Certainly didn't seem out of place there.

What did you use for this ferment? WLP500 came to mind to use as I think it's plum/cherry esters would well match the flavours in this one. You could amber syrup it. Did you get any? I have some you can have if you like.

And dammit, missed out on the Eldo IPA. I had largely stopped drinking by the time you arrived though.

Very nice beer, Mick. An interesting match - the amber malts and Belgian yeast. I got a nutty, slight roast from the malt and spicy, almost vanilla-like vibes from the yeast. Really enjoyed this beer!

22. Mardoo

Outstanding. I think that this amber was the most balanced beer I've had in the swaps so far. My wife had a taste, loved it (woman is hard to please) and she spun out when I showed her the abv.
If anyone has queries about drinking it too early..don't.

Awesome Mardoo

Thanks mate. Good to hear! Did the chestnut come through? The reason I said wait 'til Christmas was that the chestnut came through clear as a bell before I keg hopped it. After the keg hop it was fairly hidden, so I figured a few weeks might help it come out again.

Spiesy said:

Very nice beer, Mick. An interesting match - the amber malts and Belgian yeast. I got a nutty, slight roast from the malt and spicy, almost vanilla-like vibes from the yeast. Really enjoyed this beer!
^^^^^

Couldn't say it better - great beer, mate.

Stealing the grain bill, the colour is amazing!

Thank you!

Latest posts

Back