Se Qld Case Swap Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks mate - kind words coming from a brewer of your calibre. Yes I did keep a few aside for comps. See how we go....

Cheers - Snow.

No worries!

never knew I had a calibre! Whadaya know!!! :)

Cheers

Snow,

I can drop one of mine off for you at CraftBrewer Saturday morning if that helps? Hope to be there by 10.30AM latest.
Thanks Pete - that would be mighty nice of you :) I won't get there until the BABBs Club Comp next week but that should be OK.

Nick,
Thanks for the feedback. I'm surprised it was carbonated and not a little green. For the rest of you blokes leave for another week or two!

Snow,

I can drop one of mine off for you at CraftBrewer Saturday morning if that helps? Hope to be there by 10.30AM latest.

If I see you Saturday Pete, I can act as gobetween - there'll be about a 50% chance it it getting to Snow full (I'm going home via a Scratchy breakfast) ;)

If I see you Saturday Pete, I can act as gobetween - there'll be about a 50% chance it it getting to Snow full (I'm going home via a Scratchy breakfast) ;)

Scratchy breakfast - LOL :lol:

Winkle you are nothing if not dedicated to the cause!

Livershank - Spiced Chocolate Porter.
Pours a deep red-brown clean body, medium carbonation and a lasting medium to small head. Aroma - big level of spicing makes it difficult to find anything else cinnamon/nutmeg/star anise Christmas pudding sort-of-thing (note:I should have allowed this to warm up to about 8 c before trying it). Mouthfeel is silky and medium as you'd expect and some malt becomes evident as the beer warmed, there is obviously a pretty good porter under all the spice notes, quite smooth through mid palate but the finish is dominated by spices again. Try this one at around 8 c in front of an open fire on a cold nite and it should ring your bells. Tried it mulled, Joey?

I actually have a keg off this at home still and i like to pour it and leave it for ten minutes then hoe into it. I tried not to overdue the spices but even the little i used seem to really jump out at you i'll agree, next time i'll tone them down to minute levels so you get a little more hop and malt characters and not so much christmas pie.

(Probably) the final for tonight, LiverShank's Spiced Porter....

Dark, brooding, like an evil July Santa (with claws).

Initial aroma is spicy (cinnamon, cloves?) and slightly malty.

Flavour: vanilla, chocolate, lots of spices... Bitterness is there but well balanced. Slightly roasty/chocolatey.

A damn nice beer Joey!

Going down well! Would love the recipe if it hasn't been posted already!

Cheers

Hey mate,

happy to share the recipe, but you'll have to get it off dan as it's on his computer. Just be forewarned as to the spices i'd drop out the chinese five spice and the star anise all together and pair back the levels of cinnamon, up the chocolate (maybe use a chocolate based malt instead of chocolate powder), keep the dried figs the same and yeah....

glad you enjoyed it mate, got plenty more left which i'll cellar for a bit and see how they go a couple of months from now.

Joey

Onto Daemon's Choc Porter....

Almost black, initial aroma of roast malt, some sweetness.

Flavour is dark fruit, roast malt... smooth, creamy, with a long lasting head.

As it warms, the roast character becomes slightly more prominent, but not ashy or astringent. The fruitiness balances the malt extremely well.

Very well balanced, and an excellent beer!

Cheers

Thanks for the feedback NickB, glad you liked it! Always tweaking my porter recipe but nearly have the right combo sorted.

Snow's Rauch - Thought I'd get some food to match this, so I smoked 3kg's of pork shoulder for 8 hours first :) It was a perfect match, Snow's beer is a perfect forte into the Rauch world. It's smoky yet smooth and is a delicious drop all the way to the bottom of the bottle. I love the fact that it still remained drinkable after more than one glass, other Rauchbiers I've had were quite agressive flavour wise and not as balanced.

King Brown Brewing's Hopper Reid - Loved the name of this one and the beer even more so. A nice malty backbone to this one, which is brought back into line with a good smacking of hop flavour and aroma. This certainly isn't a one dimensional beer, the hop flavours are piney and citrusy with a bitter finish to it. It's still balanced quite well and certainly doesn't drink like a 7+% beer, a nicely balanced beer. Another one I enjoyed throughly, glad I don't have to share any of my swap beers! :beer:

Looks like I might be on an enforced health night tonight - (might have a sneaky Snow & DKS brew watching the footy).

Looks like I might be on an enforced health night tonight - (might have a sneaky Snow & DKS brew watching the footy).

You won't regret either Winkle :icon_cheers:

I'm celebrating my successful boycott of the QLD beer week with one of the swap beers.

And what better beer to celebrate it with than Rowy's!

Everyone knows by now that I'm shit at describing beers, so I won't get into it now, but I have to say I really, really enjoy this beer. Lovely aroma, great mouthfeel, absence of overly roasty flavours. A really well made beer, wish I would have pinched someone else's bottle while everyone was sleeping :ph34r:

It's almost gone now, so I'll savour the last few mouthfuls and shut up. Well done mate, love it!

(who needs QLD beer week, anyway)

For those who came in late, yes ditch no. 22 - don't know what happened, probably the result of using recultured yeast cake. Better job next time.

It'll be better in a fortnight! Thanks for the wraqp florian us Krauts have to stick together :beer:

Waffle alert, YOU MAY WISH TO SKIP THIS...
Tasting notes.
My beer is listed as a Biere de Gard (Noel) however it has been fermented on Wyeast 3725 which is very similar to W3726 to me, so think of it as a Super Saison- 4 months old and ABV 9.5%. Have no illusions this is a tart to semi-sour beer that is spiced, the yeast has finished a fair wack lower then expected hence the dry body and extra 1.0%. Aroma is tart to sour upfront with intermingled spices and esters, Small dense head and deep red body, flavour similar but with spicing lingering and some malt and alcohol emerging at the finish. Best drunk at slightly lower than room temp, whilst sitting in a leather armchair in front of an open fire, in a large brandy sniffer, accompanied by a sharp vintage cheddar with rice crackers, and a lady exciting the naughty bits with her lips. Hurrah!
The point to all this drivel = if you don't like sourish beers let me know and I'll bottle something off one of the taps.

Just drinking this one now. Its as explained above except without the exciting vintage lady naughty bits and cheese, couldn't find that in my swap case. Really nice beer, alcohol is well hidden in the beer but not in my dribble. Sourness not in your face, it's there but in a nice way. Is lacking the carbonation I would expect with this style of beer though. Great beer Perry. If I could photoshop a pic of my face on the pic parks sent me I would send it to you.
Lovin it!
Cheers

i am drinking what i offered to the swap and its pretty well ready. but i think the plethera of galaxy used is contributing to a slight harshness in the bittering. still a work in progress. drink her now if you like, or next week. just drink her soon while shes fresh.

i am drinking what i offered to the swap and its pretty well ready. but i think the plethera of galaxy used is contributing to a slight harshness in the bittering. still a work in progress. drink her now if you like, or next week. just drink her soon while shes fresh.
Just had yours tonight and your own judgement is what I found :) Pours with a slightly cloudy appearance, with good carbonation and good head retention. There's a delicate but distintive Galaxy aroma, with loads of Galaxy hop flavour present. This tastes like a "bigger" version of a Stone and Wood but the bitterness is probably a tad high for the beer and a slight harshness on the after-taste (no-chill?). I also get a slight grassiness to it as well but not bad enough to detract from the beer. Still a nice drop overall and with a few tweaks it'd be superb. Bet there's nothing out in Dalby that tastes like this :p

Rowys Black AIPA - Nice beer mate. Going down a treat. You will lose that self imposed lable of noobie if you keep this up. Noob my ass thats good beer!
Daz

Latest posts

Back