Se Qld Case Swap Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Daz. Might have to crack one myself this week.

A couple from Friday night

12. Daz - Sensible Hat APA
Not only sensible but a good one Daz. Pleasant tropical fruit aroma and flavour, damm easy drinking beer, balance is almost perfect excepting for a slight harsh bitterness in the finish (I probably should have waited another week and it would have disappeared)

16. Snow - Rauchbier
I was a bit underwhelmed at first, like, "what smoke??"; but was gradually seduced by what is a nicely understated beer. You could really have a good session on this, which is normally the point of brewing and drinking beers anyway I guess - another good one :icon_cheers:

Hey this looks like fun, what's the story? Once a year and you turn in (X) bottles and get back (X) different beers?

My XXXX gold clone should be perfect :ph34r:

Daz's APA. (Red Spot). I opened this ******* and was immediately engulfed by a fantastic aroma! I poured one and it was as clear as a bell with no haze. Good carbonation. Now the important bit............I got the malt first and for a nanosecond thought this is supposed to be an APA............then the hops with a lasting bitterness on the tongue. I'm a slut for an APA or an AIPA and this fits the bill Daz. In fairness to the object of the exercise I'm trying to think of a criticism but I can't. Nice beer mate :icon_cheers:

Thanks guys.I was keeping fingers crossed as I hadn't had a chance to try it befor bottling.
Looking forward to try a few more tonight. Might start with Porter then a stout.Cheers.
Daz

A couple from Friday night

12. Daz - Sensible Hat APA
Not only sensible but a good one Daz. Pleasant tropical fruit aroma and flavour, damm easy drinking beer, balance is almost perfect excepting for a slight harsh bitterness in the finish (I probably should have waited another week and it would have disappeared)

16. Snow - Rauchbier
I was a bit underwhelmed at first, like, "what smoke??"; but was gradually seduced by what is a nicely understated beer. You could really have a good session on this, which is normally the point of brewing and drinking beers anyway I guess - another good one :icon_cheers:

Thanks Winkle. It was meant to be a session beer, but a bit smokier. The smoke malt I used may have been a bit slack, therefore it has come through quite understated. For most, it has been perfect, but for regular rauch drinkers, it is too light-on. Either way, glad you enjoyed it.

For others still to drink theirs, make sure you let it warm up a little first. 0-5 degC doesn't do it justice.

Cheers - Snow.

Hey I have never been to a case swap, and am living in the cultural wasteland that is the Gold Coast at the mo.
can anyone point me in the right direction for the next nearby (within 150kms) case swap?
Free beer to anyone who helps!
hehe
Cheers,
Damien

Hey I have never been to a case swap, and am living in the cultural wasteland that is the Gold Coast at the mo.
can anyone point me in the right direction for the next nearby (within 150kms) case swap?
Free beer to anyone who helps!
hehe
Cheers,
Damien

It'll be late November early December at a location yet to be decided (I think...).

Daemons Choc Porter.
Drinking now at garage temp. Nice choc, roast and malt balance, carb good. Lots to like about this beer. Its all about the malt yeh? Im guessing this one is made on the high side of guideline specs. For my taste its leaning more towards a stout. Nothing wrong with that. Nice beer mate.
Daz

It'll be late November early December at a location yet to be decided (I think...).

Hey thanks Parks...
So, should I just pay attention to this thread?
I am kinda pumped about it!

Hey Parks!
Great chatting last night... What happened after the cops arrived... I made a smoke bomb exit to avoid blowing the whistle ;)

Hey Parks!
Great chatting last night... What happened after the cops arrived... I made a smoke bomb exit to avoid blowing the whistle ;)
Hahahaha, you are a very suspicious bloke - pretty sure they were looking for you ;)

They were looking for that missing girl, not good.

1. Winkle - Biere de Noel 9.5%, Ready to drink now
2. King Brown Brewing - American IPA 7.3% Ready to drink now
3. Daemon - Choc Porter - Ready now but better with age
4. Bradsbrew - Stout American 8% Ready to drink now!
5. TidalPete - Peaceandplenty Wee Heavy
7. Florian - HefeRoggen 7.5% - DRINK right NOW! Bottle conditioned & ready to explode
8. Rowy - Black AIPA 5.6% (ish) Botlled 6/7/2012 (10 F#4king minutes ago)
10.flavo - Maybe a Porter
12. Daz - Sensible Hat APA ( Red spot on cap) 2 to3 weeks
13. NickB - Simcoe Cube-Hopped APA (ran short, so 4 of you get an Aramis Lager - a 13L is on those bottles) Both Ready to Drink NOW!!!
14. LiverShank - 6% Xmas in July Spiced Chocolate Porter
15. Stillscottish - RTD Black Velvet, AKA Apple Oatmeal Stout - 8.2% Ready to drink now
16. Snow - Rauchbier - Ready to drink now.
18. jameson- Traquair house ale clone
20. Parks - Irish Red 5.1%, Ready to drink meow
22. Bribie G -Midnight Train American Malt Liquor
24._WALLACE_A ******* GALAXY WEATISH US-05ISH ******* BEERISH BEVERAGE

No. 8 Rowy Black IPA. Bloody nice sample of style mate. really enjoyed this one this morning. Great beer big fella! Next time give it more malt backbone and depth/complexity ( malt is a bit one dimensional) and you'de be hard to beat at a comp.

Cheers

Jameson Scottish ale. - Not a style I am familiar with but yours was inspiring enough for me to read up on. Great beer Jim went down well alc is well hidden and beer is so well balanced. Tops.

Cheers

Had Daemon's Choc Porter on the weekend. I thought this one was slightly too bitter which didn't let the nice chocolaty roast flavours shine. Just how I found it, still very easy to drink.

Tidal Pete - just sipping your wee heavy now. Like Brad I haven't really got any experience with this style. I started to drink prior to reading the guidelines and didn't really like it. After reading the style, letting it warm up a bit and judging it on its merits I must say it's straight down the line and I have started to get some appreciation it.

Cheers gents!

15. Stillscottish - RTD Black Velvet, AKA Apple Oatmeal Stout - 8.2%

Dark brown, with ruby highlights when held up to the sun.

Winey aroma, some apple coming through. Carbonation high (my bottle was rock solid!), holding a very good head.

Initial flavour is green apples, slightly sweet, finishes with more apple and a slight carbonic bite. Some alcohol warmth in the aftertaste that warms the throat.

A very interesting beer! The flavour I usually associate with a yeast health problem, but this beer has it in a good way! Enjoying this Campbell. You're getting good at these fruit beers mate :)

Cheers

Had Bradsbrew's Stout American last night.

With the first couple of sips, I was speechless. Beautiful rich mouthfeel, silky on the tongue, with nice roasty notes and a chocolate aftertaste. Good bitterness and piney hop aroma, mixing well with the roasted malt. As it warmed up, the alcohol showed through a bit more and masked the nice hop flavours. However, the well balanced sweet/bitter malt profile stayed with me to the bottom of the bottle. I had it straight after a 9% Green Flash Palate Wrecker and your stout out-did the Green Flash for both quality and palate whreckingness! Legs were a bit wobbly after both, though :blink:

Well done Brad!

Cheers - Snow

:icon_drool2: When is the next one of these?? :lol:

This thread is making me thirsty!! :beerbang:

Latest posts

Back