Se Qld Case Swap Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5. TidalPete - Peaceandplenty Wee-Wee Heavy

Pours with a small head that fades quickly. Slightly under-carbed. Beautifully clear, deep red colour. Looks awesome!

Initial aroma is sweet, malty, caramel/toffee, dark fruit (plums, raisins).

Medium body, finishes medium-dry. Malty, lots of dark fruit character. Some alcohol warmth on the finish. Very well balanced.

Great work Pete!

King Brown's No*2s
Pours nicely, large amount of foam and settles out to smallish head, looks clean and clear.
Malt, hop and some honey aroma sure wets the taste buds.
On tasting, nice hoppy flavours with the malt balanced against the bitterness. Getting a Piney/lemon thing happening with a honey in there somewhere mixed with a little alcohol and a lasting bitterness.
Fits in and ticks all the boxes for me. Very nice indeed.
( Didnt mention the D word. It could be just me. Reguardless, it works. )

Very happy with all the swaps so far. Well done fellas.
Daz

I'm guessing Diacetyl - but that can work in an American Ale....

Jeebers. Parks Irish aint bad either. This is better than free tickets to the fun house.
Daz

Wallaces beery wheaty galaxy f$#king thing.

1./ Smelt good.

2./ Poured great but was cloudy (wheat I suppose)

3./ Tasted.................not bloody bad............as stated before I'm a slut for hops. Great taste with a lingering bitterness that wasn't over the top.

If this was a throw together out a Dalby with what you had left Wallace it's not a bad one mate. :icon_cheers:

Bribies Midnight Train.

I hoped that maybe it was a bottle issue and that some of them may have been alright. If that theory is in fact correct then mine unfortunately was one of the infected ones <_<

Coming up to comp time, time to try my feedback

No. 5 Tidal Pete wee heavy
Judged as 14.2 Strong Scotch Ale

Pours with no apparent legs. Beautiful dark copper appearance with ruby highlights. Limited head that dissapates early although leaves slight lacing of the glass.

Aroma ofPeated caramel malt and complex dried fruit.

Favour of malt, plum raisen esters and a nuttiness, no apparent hops

Lacking the chewy viscous body associated with style. Poor carbonation has depleted mouthfeel.

Overall this version of style is moderately dry, malty but not suggestive of a dessert beer. Definately not one dimensional but drier than suggested by style.

Great beer Pete. I love you man.

:lol: Gotta love the Man-Love in this thread!

Had the Red Dot Special (no idea whose it is) yesterday...

Nice, some fruity/citrussy hop character in the aroma, fairly clear, dark golden/light amber colour.

Quite nice, but I found it a little astringent. Otherwise top effort, mystery man!

Cheers

Had the Red Dot Special (no idea whose it is) yesterday...

Nice, some fruity/citrussy hop character in the aroma, fairly clear, dark golden/light amber colour.

Quite nice, but I found it a little astringent. Otherwise top effort, mystery man!

Cheers
Didn't we all just put our beers in a bowl :ph34r:

That's Daz's APA. A bloody nice beer IMO, really enjoyed it.

Daemons Choc Porter.
Drinking now at garage temp. Nice choc, roast and malt balance, carb good. Lots to like about this beer. Its all about the malt yeh? Im guessing this one is made on the high side of guideline specs. For my taste its leaning more towards a stout. Nothing wrong with that. Nice beer mate.
Daz
Thanks for the feedback Daz and I agree with your feedback. This batch I have over-corrected my previous porter where it didn't have enough bitterness or roast flavour. The joy of trying different grains and tweaking recipe's, I can't help but tinker.

Had Daemon's Choc Porter on the weekend. I thought this one was slightly too bitter which didn't let the nice chocolaty roast flavours shine. Just how I found it, still very easy to drink.
Cheers Parks, agree with the feedback (as above). I was hoping that with a little bit of age the bitterness / slight hop astringency would fade a bit to balance it a tad more but it hasn't faded enough.

Now, time for some of my feedback, sorry this isn't as detailed as I'd like but it's been a hectic two weeks and I'm working from memory :)

Daz's APA: A nice golden / copper colour with great clarity. Initial citrus aroma with a slight malt sweetness as well. Flavour wise there's a really nice balance of hops (Cascade + Nelson Sauvin?) and malt flavour, without going too crazy and pushing it into IPA territory. The only "fault" would be just a slight hop astringency but it's certainly only minor. Enjoyed it all the way to the bottom of the bottle :)

Jameson: A nice malt driven beer with some nice caramel flavour and aroma and deep copper colour. Very easy drinking, especially considering how well hidden the alcohol is. I haven't brewed a Scottish ale yet but after this one I'm keen to give it a go.

Florian: Wow, this beer is like a syrup! I've had rye beers before but obviously none with this amount of rye. All the way to the bottom of the bottle I couldn't get over the thickness, it was quite surreal in a beer. The flavour was just as amazing, lots of rye spiciness with hints of caramel and wheat phenolics. Not sure I'm game enough to use this much rye on my system but it's yet another beer I want to brew!

Bradsbrew: Tastes like a beer which hasn't been brewed on a system with enough bling..... just kidding! Couldn't find a fault with this one, it was just mouthful after mouthful of tasty, black goodness. Not to detract from the other beers I've had so far but this one is my favourite! Loved the smooth malty flavour with a good hop kick to it, it's lucky I only had one bottle of this or I wouldn't have stopped. I need a recipe for this one please :)

Cheers Parks, agree with the feedback (as above). I was hoping that with a little bit of age the bitterness / slight hop astringency would fade a bit to balance it a tad more but it hasn't faded enough.
I actually didn't find it harsh or astringent (from memory...), I just felt it had a few too many IBUs in there.

Rowy, sorry - I couldn't wait until today, I cracked it last night :lol:. This beer is very similar to NickB's sex panther from memory (dark beer with lots of late american hops, probably likely to make a similar tasting beer...). If this beer is at the start of your brewing career I look forward to many more of you swap beers :)

I don't have too many left in my goodie box. Been pretty good except the bastards that didn't swap :angry:

Tried a couple more on the weekend....

TidalPete - Peaceandplenty Wee-Wee Heavy
lovely caramel malt aroma with hints of fruit and alcohol. made my mouth water! Had a nice chewy texture, malty-sweet but with enough bitterness and acoholic spicyness to not be too cloying. Smooth aftertaste with a warm alcoholic glow. Really enjoyed this thanks mate!

Daz - Red Spot APA
Nice citrusy arooma with a touch of buiscuity malt in the background. Flavour was a little one-dimensional, but a solid APA all-up. Bitterness just a touch on the harsh side for my tastes - but that's me :). Having said this, i enjoyed drinking it! Thanks Daz!

Cheers - Snow

It'll be late November early December at a location yet to be decided (I think...).

Awesome... Hey if anyone wants a laugh check this out... It was my 'invention' for Beer Factor on GO. And yes, it is a mini keg in a backpack powered with speakers... awesome.

Any progress on Case Swap dates? I say 1st of December!

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome... Hey if anyone wants a laugh check this out... It was my 'invention' for Beer Factor on GO. And yes, it is a mini keg in a backpack powered with speakers... awesome.

Epically LOL.

For some reason I am strangely finding myself thinking you are sexy...

Last edited by a moderator:
Epically LOL.

For some reason I am strangely finding myself thinking you are sexy...

HAHHAHHAHAHA yeah.... very subtly subliminal.. You will be thinking I am a Man's Man next! hahah

Drinking Jameson Scotch ale...........

Colour is copper red when held up to the light. Poured with no head but carbed nicely. First taste i related to snows rauchbier (due to malt selection or caramelisation possibly??) but never tasted afterwards. Malt dominating over hops flavour and aroma but.

Clean, slightly sweet and smooth ( Like me :p ). I actually liked it, alot. Nice beer and i may have to brew up something myself i think.

15. Stillscottish - RTD Black Velvet, AKA Apple Oatmeal Stout

Weird apple, brown shoe polish? & roast barley aroma, attractive deeply red/brown, bright body and massive lasting head. Medium mouthfeel and carbonation. And now on to the flavour....

Dammed if it isn't good - light apple notes up front mixed with a brown sugar/dark malt mid-palate and a nice solid toasty finish. Alcohol comes out of the closet toward the end but only to be showing a g-string, some sequins and a boa. I'm not so keen on the aroma Campbell, but the rest of the beer is a class act - (to my somewhat demented taste) needs some funk to sort out the aroma and give a bonus point in the finish?

Latest posts

Back