Se Qld Case Swap Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KBB - AIPA.

Love this Dan. Great aroma, colour, clarity, lacing etc. Very resinous as Brad suggested though I'm struggling to find the astringency under it.

Another great job.

KBB - AIPA.

Love this Dan. Great aroma, colour, clarity, lacing etc. Very resinous as Brad suggested though I'm struggling to find the astringency under it.

Another great job.
Right!, thats it!, into the fridge you go KBB AIPA....

Florian's Wheatie - Was just how i remembered it from the swap night - beautiful creamy head, good carbonation, banana and spice aroma, rich spicy mouthfeel, lovely flavours of fruit, bubblegum and spice. A bloody top heffe. Thanks Flo!

Cheers - Snow

Thanks Snow, glad you liked it!

Am glad now that I made the effort and didn't serve up one of my dregs kegs ;)

Now I just have to decide what class to put it into for BABBs, Hefeweizen or Roggenbier.

NO.3 Daemons Choc Porter:- This beer had a great aroma as soon as I cracked it. It has good body and carbonation appropriate to the style. (I checked the guidelines) It tastes bloody great and leaves a slight bitterness which I liked. I can taste the chocolate but would have liked just a little bit more. IMHO a bloody nice beer. Well done mate :icon_cheers:
Cheers for the feedback and glad you liked it. Hopefully with just a little bit of age the balance will be a little bit more towards the malt as the bitterness fades a tad. There's actually no chocolate in there as such, just choc malt :) I actually have some proper single origin cocoa (ie no fillers / milk powder / sugar etc) to try and add with the next batch, just didn't want to experiment too much and have a failure in the swap!

About to try Nick's 13L and will find what else I stuck in the fridge to follow it up with :)

No worries Dan, shit happens.

Just into Parks' Irish Red...

Pours slightly cloudy, nice red colour. Was trying to jump out of the bottle, despite a de-gassing prior to going in the fridge... Flavour and aroma all to style. A nice beer!

No worries Dan, shit happens.

Just into Parks' Irish Red...

Pours slightly cloudy, nice red colour. Was trying to jump out of the bottle, despite a de-gassing prior to going in the fridge... Flavour and aroma all to style. A nice beer!

I knew I felt something slightly homo-erotic as I was just sipping your APA.

Another great beer Nick. From beers I have drunk I'd say slightly pushing into the IPA boundary of bitterness but still great.

Love it.

-- My beers were bottle conditioned so there'll be some mild amount of yeast in there. They were also filtered so anyone questioning if there's enough yeast to carbonate can see the proof with those bottles :)

Well i didn't get a reply in the swap thread. has anyone else got missing beers??? im missing beers fr
om DOS and BribieG...... :(

Well i didn't get a reply in the swap thread. has anyone else got missing beers??? im missing beers fr
You definitely shouldn't have. DKS beer was a red sticker on the lid with no other marking and BribieG has said he thinks his may be infected.

You may have become victim to some drunken swap steals.... (I don't *think* this happened but you know... drunks...)

Brad - just sipping (ha!) your stout, and this is your reward:

l.jpg

It was bitter up front (inc a fair bit of hop flavour) and then rest just slowly orgasmed in my mouth.

My pick so far (I am pretty gay for stout/porters).

You may have become victim to some drunken swap steals.... (I don't *think* this happened but you know... drunks...)
I'm offended by that statement.... not all us drunks steal beer (or at least I didn't think about it)! :beer:

Ok, feedback time!

NickB: 13L - A nice malty honey like aroma with some hop spice and a very slight amount of sulphur. Pours with a nice light golden, brilliant clarity with a slightly lower than expected carbonation. Taste is a nice honey like malt flavour, with a nice amount of spicy hop bitterness to balance the beer perfectly. As I drank it I wished that this was Australia's mega-swill, it was flavoursome without being dominant yet easy drinking enough that it'd be a great session beer. I could drink this by the pint without complaint :) Very nice Nick, it's making me think about spending the time to ferment / condition a Lager.

Stilscottish 15: Initial aroma is all apple and like Snow it's a weird sensation when normally apples are a bad sign. My bottle was very highly carbed, not to the point of being a gusher by poured like a weizen where you had to think about pouring it into the glass. Taste was quite restrained for a stout, there's the apple flavour there but it's not as roasty as I was expecting it to be. It's slightly thin body wise for a stout, it possibly fermented further in the bottle that contributed to the carbonation too. Mine wasn't oxygenated as Snowy's described, and didn't have a problem finishing the bottle. I think more body and more roastiness would make this a really interesting combo.

PS. Parks are you saying Brad needs a shower / wash? Not sure what the photo would mean otherwise :)

I'm offended by that statement.... not all us drunks steal beer (or at least I didn't think about it)! :beer:
I was just kidding, I really think we were all too drunk to even think that :)

PS. Parks are you saying Brad needs a shower / wash? Not sure what the photo would mean otherwise :)
He does, however that wasn't the point. I believed his stout was worth some wet breasts.

But now you say it, brad, please have a shower.

:drinks:

Drinking brads stout now....... bloody noice. i don't know much about the style, i was expecting a huge hit of American hops and flavour, and was kinda let down. but then again stouts aren't meant to be like that.

None-the-less very balanced malt and bitterness. would happily pay for beer like this.

I also had stillscotish's apple oatmeal stout. nice aroma. clear and a little bit sweet. it was a good beer.

Last night i drank snows rauch and winkles biere de noel. sorry guys...... just not my style. i didn't pour them, but it was a struggle to finish. unfortunately i had to wash my mouth out with some home brew rum with coke and about 5 or 6 tequilla shots........... why do i do it to myself........... :D

Maybe they're rolling around in the back of Gav's car? There are a few left over bottles I could set aside for you if you are keen - it'll be pot-luck though.

KBB - Hopper Reid

Pours with and white densely packed lasting head, body a bright burnished gold. Big aroma of stonefruit and citrus. Flavour is a bit more complex than expected - sure there's resinous citrus/stonefruit notes and possibly a touch of pine there, but backing it up is a malt contribution lending marmalade and some light honey at the back of the palate (this malt backbone is where I thought this beer really shone). Has a long big bitter finish (verging almost on harsh), but I didn't pick up any astringency. A good beer Dan, tip-toes close to the edge of being too bitter in the finish but the malt balance and aroma are good stuff.

Maybe they're rolling around in the back of Gav's car? There are a few left over bottles I could set aside for you if you are keen - it'll be pot-luck though.

Na not here, I did grab two of Wallace's left overs but that was it. So don't know what happend there as I was also careful not to drop any out of the box and I was also under close supervision of Mrs Gav at the time.

Cheers anyway
Gav.

BribieG - Midnight Train.
You were right Bribie, despite wearing newspapers for pants, breathing exhaust fumes, and sitting under an overpass to live the dream, there was a bit of trough lolly that ruined the enjoyment of the moment.

Parks - Irish Red Ale
I normally prefer these Ales featuring malt dominance over the hops, I found this is be in such good balance I was impressed - really nice beer mate - despite the effort taken to get it into the glass. Perfect for watching the Reds beat the Tahs :icon_cheers:

Awesome Winkle.

Florian - I opened your hefe on Friday night and wasn't that keen at all. I then had a second glass at lunch yesterday and **** me it was great.

Moral of the story, hefe's aren't good after a Rauch, IPA and big stout.

Great beer mate.

Livershank - Spiced Chocolate Porter.
Pours a deep red-brown clean body, medium carbonation and a lasting medium to small head. Aroma - big level of spicing makes it difficult to find anything else cinnamon/nutmeg/star anise Christmas pudding sort-of-thing (note:I should have allowed this to warm up to about 8 c before trying it). Mouthfeel is silky and medium as you'd expect and some malt becomes evident as the beer warmed, there is obviously a pretty good porter under all the spice notes, quite smooth through mid palate but the finish is dominated by spices again. Try this one at around 8 c in front of an open fire on a cold nite and it should ring your bells. Tried it mulled, Joey?

Latest posts

Back