Se Qld Case Swap Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stillscottish apple oatmeal stout - WOW! Apple! Normally the smell of apple is a sign of serious yeast health issues, but this is frsh red delicious aroma, with roasted notes and sweet caramel. I could sniff this all night. Unfortunately the flavour doesn't measure up to the aroma. I think my bottle was a touch oxidised, which stripped most of the apple flavour out and gave the roast grains an astringent note. It got better as it warmed up and i could tell there was a good stout under there, but i must admit i struggled drinking the whole bottle. Sorry Cambell.

Cheers - Snow.

I got a bit ahead of myself with this one. It was bottled about March so the PET has possibly let a bit of oxygen in. You're right about the apple, it has faded since I first sampled it in May.

Campbell

Well I hope you feel like a right penis Campbell (Blow up of course) :lol:

Dan's (King Brown) IPA - Well I have a bit of a cold so my palate is shot but with this one I am going more english than american, malt backbone is beautiful but the beer does have a hit of astringency at the finish which is then clouded by the hop resin then there again. I am tasting more floral english hops late but possibly american early?
Would be good to see the recipe for this one.

All up a top beer that I would happily have a few more of (in something alot bigger than my swap glass) before falling over.

Good beer Dan.

Cheers

Hey Brad, what do you think caused the astringency and how could I improve this?

I guarantee that ALL the hops were American, with 3 ounces of American goodness to dry hop with, hence the aroma.

Hey Brad, what do you think caused the astringency and how could I improve this?

I guarantee that ALL the hops were American, with 3 ounces of American goodness to dry hop with, hence the aroma.

What was the hop variety, Dan? Sometimes a high cohumulone level can come across as astringent.

Cheers - Snow

King Browns AIPA:- Not a bad beer but I agree with the comments about the astringency........I actually liked that aspect of it which shows I know F%$K ALL about judging...............but each to his own :p

Snows Rauchbier:- My first proper smoked beer...............I loved it snow! The smokiness was just right for me and I was expecting something to go wrong by the end ie; super bitter or something. Well it didn't happen. A bloody nice beer.

Cheers!

Popped down to Winkle's today to pick up my kitchen and the swap beers. Master stroke, I took SWMBO and let her gaze upon Tavern Winkle, so never again will I get any comments that my set up is OTT. B)

Seeing as we are on Dan's case here, I'm drinking one right now and I wouldn't describe it as astringent, rather a typical hop bitterness that coats the tongue but not mouth puckering. I feel it complements the gorgeous fruitiness and aromas of the US hops and the rich maltiness. Love it.

Sold on AIPAs.

I'm drinking it cool but not cold as I dislike ales at near freezing, and one thing I do pick up is a slight (but not offensive) blue-cheese note, very slight and fleeting. I've tended to get that from Amarillo in the past and wonder if this hop is present here?

The following hops were used:

Warrior
Simcoe
Northern Brewer
Magnum
Columbus
Centenial
and 4 ounces of ammarillo

The following hops were used:

Warrior
Simcoe
Northern Brewer
Magnum
Columbus
Centenial
and 4 ounces of ammarillo

I thought it lacked hop variety and it appears I was right :lol:

Three cheers for BribieG. Oi Oi Oi!
Many thanks for your efforts BG, the food was great and went well with the beers. The behind the scene effort should be hailed as epic. You looked like a Masterchef at the coalface when in action and then you had to leave. Well, big kudos to you mate. We all enjoyed it. Appreciated!
Daz

Edit: After re-read, maybe wrong thread but credit due all the same.

Bradsbrew NO 4:- I started this one when it was a bit cold and you could really taste the American hops and not much else. Even a bit of vegemite.............I let it rest and it was a different beer. Quite nice. The malt shone through more and was very nice. I liked this beer. Nice and silky mouthfeel really sold it. I may have hopped it a little less then again I'd have to try them side by side to sya yay or nay. Nice beer Brad.

Bradsbrew NO 4:- I started this one when it was a bit cold and you could really taste the American hops and not much else. Even a bit of vegemite.............I let it rest and it was a different beer. Quite nice. The malt shone through more and was very nice. I liked this beer. Nice and silky mouthfeel really sold it. I may have hopped it a little less then again I'd have to try them side by side to sya yay or nay. Nice beer Brad.

Bradsbrew No.4\-
My bottle was about 3/4 full, so there'll be a spot of O2 messing with things. Aroma, C hops upfront, followed a fair distance behind with some slick malty notes (choc wheat?), brown sugar and maybe a hint of soy sauce. Flavour - citrusy chocolate with a touch of mint (a bit like a muted after dinner mint) gets a bit sweet toward the end of the glass but 'it is what it is'. Mouthfeel full and smooth, with a faintly sticky sweet finish. I guess you've reserved a few bottles for QABC ;) nice one.

Edit: I can vaguely remember being impressed by this on Saturday

Florian's Wheatie - Was just how i remembered it from the swap night - beautiful creamy head, good carbonation, banana and spice aroma, rich spicy mouthfeel, lovely flavours of fruit, bubblegum and spice. A bloody top heffe. Thanks Flo!

Cheers - Snow

Aaaargghhh sorry guys, the Midnight Train has developed a sort of lemony in a bad way twang with a bit of phenol starting. Bugger.

Please dispose of thoughtfully without causing too much fish kill in Moreton Bay. It's still ok with a splash of Bickfords Lime if you want the full skid row experience.

02 - King Brown's Hopper Reid

Awesome colour and clarity. Looks amazing. First sniff not quite what I was expecting. Somewhat muted hop character, but not clearly defined enough to pick out which hops (but it is, helpfully, on the bottle).

TBH, Dan, I think my bottle is infected :( Has a horrible, rancid flavour to it.... no discernible malt character, hop presence lacking and bitterness is there, but extremely harsh and astringent... It's certainly not the beer I remember trying on swap night...

Damn shame, and a bad start to my swap beer tastings.... :(

Sorry mate.

Cheers

Just opened Snow's Rauch - I'm not the best with smelling smoke so thought it best to not try it drunk...

Cannot fault the aroma or appearance. Perfectly subtle smoke IMO although if I can smell it maybe others will find it too much.

The guidelines suggest mouthfeel should have a smooth lager character - I'm not really sure what that means but doesn't seem lagerish. Otherwise it's on the mark.

I can feel the smoke sticking to my teeth so it must be good! Great job on this one.

Sad about that Nick, when I opened his bottle last night it almost filled the room with hoppyiness. Noice drop.

02 - King Brown's Hopper Reid

Awesome colour and clarity. Looks amazing. First sniff not quite what I was expecting. Somewhat muted hop character, but not clearly defined enough to pick out which hops (but it is, helpfully, on the bottle).

TBH, Dan, I think my bottle is infected :( Has a horrible, rancid flavour to it.... no discernible malt character, hop presence lacking and bitterness is there, but extremely harsh and astringent... It's certainly not the beer I remember trying on swap night...

Damn shame, and a bad start to my swap beer tastings.... :(

Sorry mate.

Cheers

Shit sorry about that mate, I cleaned the shit out of those bottles too...

I have some spare for the next time you are around.

I hope the rest turn out all right.....

That really pisses me off.

Sorry again.

KBB - AIPA.

Love this Dan. Great aroma, colour, clarity, lacing etc. Very resinous as Brad suggested though I'm struggling to find the astringency under it.

Another great job.

Latest posts

Back