Qld Xmas case Swap 2014- 6 Dec *tasting thread*

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beersuit said:
14. Meno - Twin Galaxy Blonde
Nice and Hoppy on the nose with a sweet musk stick thing going on. Good carbonation and body. Clarity is lacking slightly but over all a very nice beer.
Cheers for the feedback Beersuit; I'm afraid that clarity is a bitch for me whenever dealing with coopers commercial yeast but the beer wouldn't be the same without it :p

As for the musk stick... I don't know. There is a bit of residual sweetness there but I didn't personally get musk stick. Not arguing with what you tasted there sir, I'm just a bit bemused. I might need to fish around downstairs and see if I have a bottle of it still hiding somewhere to try again.

11. Angus' Sarcastic Wit

Goes really well with crumbed steak.....sitting at computer desk having a piece of crumbed steak bite by bite with bottle of barbecue sauce standing beside the open bottle of beer. Distracted by what I was reading on screen (AHB), picked up what I thought was sauce bottle and poured over the steak :lol: :huh: .... thankfully not close to keyboard. Am enjoying this one, an initial aroma which I can't quite put a descriptor to, another very easy one to drink on a hot day.

angus_grant said:
Ha ha, that is funny shit. Never would have thought to match it with a steak.
Looking forward to brewing that one again and increasing the lemon and lime additions.
In my house any beer matches and food or any other beer.

9. Seehuusen - Aussie Summer Saison

Notes pretty much as per on swap day. Definitely a bit over-carb'd but upon letting it settle a very nice beer. Not to much else to add. As per Brad's thoughts I will drink most of these without comprehensive tasting notes unless expressly asked.

I'd prefer to give a little for all beers than get 5 beers in a get lazy :)

Ha ha, that is funny shit. Never would have thought to match it with a steak.
Looking forward to brewing that one again and increasing the lemon and lime additions.

Beersuit said:
16 .hwall95 - What'd you Saison?
Good aroma on the nose with a nice little persistent head, very cloudy appearance. Good spicy saison flavours on the pallet and finishes just like a saison should. Well done.
Parks said:
16 .hwall95 - What'd you Saison? - Drink now or let it age, it's up to you

Wow, what a complex beer. Spicy, citrusy, phenolic, sour - all the things.

Personally it got a bit much by the end of the bottle and I got a little hot alcohol but not enough to be problematic. Finish was little full but if it wasn't I reckon the beer would have been way over the top. I'm guessing this is pretty big beer ABV-wise.

This is definitely a beer you could age as suggested :)
Cheers guys, the beer was basically just an experiment with the WY3724 as the malt was basically all malt and then a bit of wheat, and then hop bill was just bitterness with a bit of fuggle&ekg to finish, but apart from that the yeast did all the work at a nice 28+ temp and then it just layed around in the fermentor for five weeks. I've actually tried it since around a week after bottling it so I'm pretty curious to see how it has turned out.

It's not that strong relative to some saisions as it's around 6% but definitely not a historic saison. It was meant to be around 5.5% but the yeast was a bit hungry it seems...
bradsbrew said:
I guess if I was to brew a saison I would mash at a lower temp about 62, use less wheat and ferment at around 17-18 deg. But then it probably wouldnt be a saison, but at least it would be a nice dry summer beer with a soft ester character.
Yeah I was actually thinking about brewing a saison with a similar malt bill and then doing half the batch at 18-20 and then the other at ambient just to see how they turn out. Might be a good experiment for after christmas.

14. Meno - Twin Galaxy Blonde &/or Sahara Nirvana Golden Ale - READY NOW, DRINK WHENEVER.

Pours a very hazy golden colour with a small head. Fairly intense fresh passionfruit and pineapple / tropical fruit aroma. Good malt backbone with a hint of under-attenuation (residual sweetness) however that could be just a little under-bittered.

Above all that it could be a very good beer ruined by my desperate requirement for IIIIIIIIIIPA's and moremoremoremore hops.

(not sure if that's my way of saying it's a girl's drink or not...)

:p :p :p

-EDIT-
I does have a bit too much body there so a slight under-attenuation is possible. I am enjoying it though if that's helpful to you :)

17 schwarzbier
Nice roasty chocolate malt with a gentle ester in the finish. Liked it

bradsbrew said:
17 schwarzbier
Nice roasty chocolate malt with a gentle ester in the finish. Liked it

Was that 20. BPH87's Schwartz or 17. RobV's dark american wheat?

14: Meno, there's something of going on in that brew. When you re-do it, check your process for the cooper yeast re culture. There's also a bit of caramelisation going on to get that flour. It should have a slight haze from the yeast, but be otherwise a locale straw to light golden colour. Have brewed that version many times. Still, it tastes alright but mash temp was a little higher I feel.

2: Beersuit.

Opening the bottle @ 5 deg ! I get a pickled cucumber/gherkin on the nose.

Pours a rich golden to Amber, with a low head that doesn't cling. No lacing. Brett's had it's way with every bit of dextrin

Bit of wet hay/blanket like note but not really "funky" and a slight acidity that lingers. Bitterness low.

Pleasant enough, but not sure where this was heading. I think ales like this tend to do better with old school hops like spalter/strisselspalt with low IBU's and older oxidised hops.

Not sure what Brett strain was used - it's a little odd, but still enjoyable for something different.

Don't get anything oaky from it, but I'd like to see this one on a barrel for a while to see where it goes.

6. tazman1967 Brett Saison

I just grabbed this from the fridge without seeing what it was, poured and "orrrr gawd, this is so infected....."

Well, this is certainly a good example of Brett, and enough to show me good and proper that it's not something I really like!

Holy firkin wow every smell is intense.

Wow, just.... wow.

3: Liam.

Not sure who's misfortune (the name)

Pours with a low head, moderate carbonation. Head fades fast as is typical. No lacing.

Slight roast on the nose and a bit of coffee too.

Medium body.

Bloody nice beer overall. It's one of those anytime lagers.....heading for the pool with it now.

Cheers for the feedback guys especially you Martin who is the creator of this particular beer. I pitched a 1lt starter of the coopers commercial yeast but will up that to 1.5lts and give it a bit more time on the stir-plate next time. That is one yeast that certainly shouldn't be under-attenuating.

As for the malty back-bone; I probably mashed a bit high. Still refining my AG brewing processes.

All feedback appreciated and taken constructively. :)

HBHB said:
2: Beersuit.

Opening the bottle @ 5 deg ! I get a pickled cucumber/gherkin on the nose.

Pours a rich golden to Amber, with a low head that doesn't cling. No lacing. Brett's had it's way with every bit of dextrin

Bit of wet hay/blanket like note but not really "funky" and a slight acidity that lingers. Bitterness low.

Pleasant enough, but not sure where this was heading. I think ales like this tend to do better with old school hops like spalter/strisselspalt with low IBU's and older oxidised hops.

Not sure what Brett strain was used - it's a little odd, but still enjoyable for something different.

Don't get anything oaky from it, but I'd like to see this one on a barrel for a while to see where it goes.
Thanks for the review Martin but the beer was listed to be left for at least 2 weeks. It still needs time to carb and mature a little.

I was going to leave typing in my reviews until I'd done the bulk of beers. I find the other reviews lead me a little bit and I'm trying to educate myself. It's proving almost impossible (to educate myself that is).

Liams schwarzbier

Aroma:
Very faint coffee when cold. Coffee aroma increases as it warms up. I didn't get much else, but I get the feeling that I have a fucked sense of smell, unless it is a IIPA hopped to 1000IBU......

Colour: very dark red, but I needed to have a strong light behind it to pick the red out. Dark. Nice!!

Taste:
Lasting chocolate and coffee after-taste.
As it warmed up, the chocolate smoothed out into nice velvety chocolate in mid-taste which then feeds into slightly more bitter choc after tastes.
The more it warms up, the more the choc dominates.

Certainly a sessionable beer, and I could knock 3 or 4 off before the choc became too much for me. I don't really have a strong tolerance for chocolate though.

Good beer Liam.

Parks said:
Was that 20. BPH87's Schwartz or 17. RobV's dark american wheat?
Yep my mistake Troy. Was the american wheat, comments remain the same except for I got nothing that made me think this is american.

20 BHP95 swartzbier

Another great example, clean dark malty goodness. No complaints

21 Aydos Aipa

Really enjoyed the beer mate! Great citrus and resin taste and aroma and really balanced bitterness that overall makes me quite sad that I've finished the bottle.. Anyways well done, it was a great beer to accompany me while I was making a Christmas cake (with 1/2 bottle 7 month old ale) for a christmas dinner thing I'm hosting on Saturday. Cheers mate

18- Burn down the Barn - Rauchbier Saison

I completely missed the post about it needing another week and threw in the fridge last night with a few others and happened to grab it tonight.. Currently it seems a bit undercarbed for a saison although that's definitely my fault..

I must say this was one of the beers I was most curious to try just because the combo seemed strange yet awesome at the same time. Overall I find it a real saisony beer with real belgian phenolics and spicy characters, although at the same time the the smoked flavour comes through throughout tasting although less pronounced and in my opinion really compliments it. Overall I liked it but the flavour is fairly full one to have to much of it, and it also seems to feel quite strong; I would assume atleast 6-7%? Cheers mate

Latest posts

Back