Qld Xmas case Swap 2014- 6 Dec *tasting thread*

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
earle said:
So my number 8 has the new cap and collar as well as on old collar. Not sealed at all. When its squeezed air goes in and out. What do people reckon? Any hope?

BTW a safer way to remove the collars is to insert a screwdriver between the collar and bottle from the bottom. When you lever up the ring either stretches and can be removed or it just snaps. No cut fingers.

Mate, I'm so sorry about that. PM me your address, I'll send another. I was just thinking...was it a black collar? If so, that would explain why I had one exactly as you stated still at home here. I just didn't see it against the dark of the bottle. I'll have a squizz in the morning at the one I have here which had gas escaping when squeezed....actually checked now, nd yep, a bloody black collar still on it.

Had Winkle's Hefeweizen this arvo, really enjoyed it. Light subtle flavours, very very easy to drink.

bradsbrew said:
1. Earle - red wheat saison - GIVE IT ANOTHER WEEK OR SO TO FINISH CARBING
2. Beersuit - Bretted Farmhouse IPA Drink in 2 weeks. Pour gently
3. Liam_s - Schwarzbier - DRINK IMMEDIATELY
4. Bradsbrew - Hazelnut Rocky Road Porter-DRINK NOW or wait a week or two out of the fridge, should help to make it tastes like it smells
6. tazman1967 Brett Saison -Another week, pour carefully.
7. Parks - Motueka Lager - DRINK NOW best served cold
8. madpierre06 - Biggus Dikkus American Cream Ale - GIVE TWO WEEKS, ALSO CHECK THE BOTTLE COLLAR BEFORE OPENING AS WHEN CUTTING OFF OLD CAP COLLARS I NICKED THE RIM ON A COUPLE I THINK AND SLICED MY FINGER OPEN
9. Seehuusen - Aussie Summer Saison - Ready to drink now
10. Winkle - hefeweizen - DRINK NOW
11. Angus - Sarcastic Wit. - drink now
14. Meno - Twin Galaxy Blonde &/or Sahara Nirvana Golden Ale - READY NOW, DRINK WHENEVER.
16 .hwall95 - What'd you Saison? - Drink now or let it age, it's up to you
17. Robv - Dark american wheat - READY NOW
18. benken25. burn down the barn (rauchbier saison)
19. Eagleburger- Five Elements, drinkable now, I fillrd them to the top. bottle noob.
20. BPH87 - Schwarzbier
21. Aydos - an AIPA with 500g of hops. - READY TO DRINK NOW NICE AND FRESH. POUR GENTLY AS IT WAS BOTTLES CONDITIONED.
22. HBHB - 13% abv Russian Imperial Stout hopped to 91IBU with Marynka Polish Hops - DRINK WHENEVER -SLOWLY
23. Ballantyne Brew - Shirt Front IPA - couple of weeks to carb. Bottled 2/12/14

I love these taste threads, great to see what other people perceive flavour wise about the beers that are in the swap :)

Beersuit said:
9. Seehuusen - Aussie Summer Saison
Very lively carbonation so much so that the head bellowed out of the glass. Once it was rested enough to get to the beer it tastes quite nice. Good hop flavour ballanced with a subdued yeast character. Nice dry quaffer.
I was thinking about this the other day, I need to account for yeast attenuation when calculating how much sugar to add in... I'm not sure if my calculator does that, but it would seem that I've added a bit too much priming sugar...
Thanks for the feed back :)

7. Parks - Motueka Lager
I haven't used motueka myself before, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. A lot of flavours going on, there was a fair bit of fruity sweetness, followed by malt. A nice drinkable beer to awaken the taste buds. Certainly not a lager I've ever tried before, but at the same time wouldn't mind having again.

3. Liam_s - Schwarzbier
I got a lot of burnt caramel/ bitter chocolate out of this beer, perhaps even a hint of smoke? A good malt back bone as well.

Cheers,
Martin

seehuusen said:
I love these taste threads, great to see what other people perceive flavour wise about the beers that are in the swap :)[...]

3. Liam_s - Schwarzbier
I got a lot of burnt caramel/ bitter chocolate out of this beer, perhaps even a hint of smoke? A good malt back bone as well.
hehe yeah, it's fun. I'm in two minds whether to share the grain bill now or wait till a few more people have tasted it.

I'll just edit my suggestion for #10.
ALL may benefit from a zap from a carbonation cap.
Bloody thing should have been fully carbed up :mellow: although it wasn't foaming as much as expected when filling with the CPBF.
On to tasting,
7. Parks - Motueka Lager
Poured a star bright amber, full carbed, small head. Full mouthfeel, some crystal in the front of palate, malty with fruity hop notes. Good beer on a hot hungover day.

My #8 still has the black lid rim as well as a new lid so mine didn't seal, is there any chance that if I took the lid off now it will carbonate? When did you bottle it?

bradsbrew said:
1. Earle - red wheat saison - GIVE IT ANOTHER WEEK OR SO TO FINISH CARBING
2. Beersuit - Bretted Farmhouse IPA Drink in 2 weeks. Pour gently
4. Bradsbrew - Hazelnut Rocky Road Porter-DRINK NOW or wait a week or two out of the fridge, should help to make it tastes like it smells
6. tazman1967 Brett Saison -Another week, pour carefully.
7. Parks - Motueka Lager - DRINK NOW best served cold
8. madpierre06 - Biggus Dikkus American Cream Ale - GIVE TWO WEEKS, ALSO CHECK THE BOTTLE COLLAR BEFORE OPENING AS WHEN CUTTING OFF OLD CAP COLLARS I NICKED THE RIM ON A COUPLE I THINK AND SLICED MY FINGER OPEN
9. Seehuusen - Aussie Summer Saison - Ready to drink now
10. Winkle - hefeweizen - DRINK NOW
11. Angus - Sarcastic Wit. - drink now
14. Meno - Twin Galaxy Blonde &/or Sahara Nirvana Golden Ale - READY NOW, DRINK WHENEVER.
16 .hwall95 - What'd you Saison? - Drink now or let it age, it's up to you
17. Robv - Dark american wheat - READY NOW
18. benken25. burn down the barn (rauchbier saison) Give mine a week or so
19. Eagleburger- Five Elements, drinkable now, I fillrd them to the top. bottle noob.
20. BPH87 - Schwarzbier
21. Aydos - an AIPA with 500g of hops. - READY TO DRINK NOW NICE AND FRESH. POUR GENTLY AS IT WAS BOTTLES CONDITIONED.
22. HBHB - 13% abv Russian Imperial Stout hopped to 91IBU with Marynka Polish Hops - DRINK WHENEVER -SLOWLY
23. Ballantyne Brew - Shirt Front IPA - couple of weeks to carb. Bottled 2/12/14

Liam_snorkel said:
hehe yeah, it's fun. I'm in two minds whether to share the grain bill now or wait till a few more people have tasted it.
My ears pricked at a hint of smoke will be tasting this straight up tomorrow arvo currently finishing the keg of rauchbier i brought to the swap so i can fill it with mango hefe for christmas

14. Meno - Twin Galaxy Blonde
Nice and Hoppy on the nose with a sweet musk stick thing going on. Good carbonation and body. Clarity is lacking slightly but over all a very nice beer.

3. Liam_s - Schwarzbier

I really liked this beer. Not too carbonated which is nice, holds a slight head and looking at the bottom of the glass it gives a nice ruby colour. Flavour-wise it's like bitter chocolate and a bit of coffee although I'm getting slightly sweet/nutty malt as well, and aroma is like sweeter chocolate. Really like the bitter chocolate finish that stays on your palate nicely.

aydos said:
My #8 still has the black lid rim as well as a new lid so mine didn't seal, is there any chance that if I took the lid off now it will carbonate? When did you bottle it?

Mate, I'm no expert but I would think it may still carbonate to a degree. I bottled on Thursday. Really sorry about these couple boys, hadn't experienced reusing the plastics or considered these blasted black collars as I use white lids. Aydos, like with Earle, if it doesn't come up to scratch I'll get a replacement to you.

madpierre06 said:
Mate, I'm no expert but I would think it may still carbonate to a degree. I bottled on Thursday. Really sorry about these couple boys, hadn't experienced reusing the plastics or considered these blasted black collars as I use white lids. Aydos, like with Earle, if it doesn't come up to scratch I'll get a replacement to you.
I've added 3.5g of sugar (half the amount used for a tallie) and recapped as I think some co2 had been lost. Hopefully the CO2 produced by the original priming will have protected the beer against oxidation. Will see how we go. Fingers crossed

Alright, my curiosity got the better of me. I was going to be disobedient and not drink immediately but...

Light carbonation, lovely nearly opaque black, little head. Lovely toffee, chocolate & malt up front but disappears to a somewhat thin finish. I did get something burnt when looking really hard but could have been anything.

Some fruity esters possibly a little too much for a Schwartz but still a very nice, easy drinking beer.

I was convinced with the finish that you may have a fair chunk of sugar (~10%) and high mash but the fruity esters leads me to you using Nottingham at 15-16 degrees which I find really strips a lot of that late malt character out.

Great beer, would drink again A+.

P.S. if anyone would like me to do a proper BJCP evaluation of their beer I'm more than happy. Otherwise you'll just get some very light tasting notes :drinks: :drinks:

earle said:
I've added 3.5g of sugar (half the amount used for a tallie) and recapped as I think some co2 had been lost. Hopefully the CO2 produced by the original priming will have protected the beer against oxidation. Will see how we go. Fingers crossed

Cheers mate, I know I've got at least one here which I originally discovered so will check the others I have here and hopefully resurrect any remaining ones. I'd considered a similar possible solution while having a shower this morning but was gonna wing it with quantity of sugar.

Parks said:

Alright, my curiosity got the better of me. I was going to be disobedient and not drink immediately but...

Light carbonation, lovely nearly opaque black, little head. Lovely toffee, chocolate & malt up front but disappears to a somewhat thin finish. I did get something burnt when looking really hard but could have been anything.

Some fruity esters possibly a little too much for a Schwartz but still a very nice, easy drinking beer.

I was convinced with the finish that you may have a fair chunk of sugar (~10%) and high mash but the fruity esters leads me to you using Nottingham at 15-16 degrees which I find really strips a lot of that late malt character out.

Great beer, would drink again A+.

P.S. if anyone would like me to do a proper BJCP evaluation of their beer I'm more than happy. Otherwise you'll just get some very light tasting notes :drinks: :drinks:
hehe, thanks Parks.
variable carbonation would be the rushed force carb/CPBF on saturday morning :) Fruity esters were from using an ale yeast as you guess but Bry97 at 18. The dry finish was my attempt at a hoch kurz mash with full volume BIAB - almost nailed it but spent too long at alpha and not enough at beta because the 15min ramp was (I guess) mostly in alpha territory.
ended up being:
64/30
ramp/15
72/10
ramp/10
78/bagout

grain bill:
the vienna explains the sweetness. No smoked malt.
46% Munich II
46% Vienna
6% Carafa II malt special
2% Caraaroma

:beerbang:

Geez, I feel somewhat inadequate when it comes to beery feedback here :lol: :drinks:

So from me you'll get drinkability and whatever else comes to mind, in this case it's following instructions and drinking Liam's Schwarzbeir.

Mate, a style I haven't tried previously and one I am keen to revisit. A real nice drop, very, very easy to drink, plus what Parks said. :D

Liam_snorkel said:
hehe, thanks Parks.
variable carbonation would be the rushed force carb/CPBF on saturday morning :)
I made a point of giving mine a long carb time and much higher carb than normal to account for this. I've been bitten before...

Liam_snorkel said:
Fruity esters were from using an ale yeast as you guess but Bry97 at 18.
Nice. I haven't used that yeast before. Interesting that it's from the same guys as Nottingham :)

Liam_snorkel said:
The dry finish was my attempt at a hoch kurz mash with full volume BIAB - almost nailed it but spent too long at alpha and not enough at beta because the 15min ramp was (I guess) mostly in alpha territory.
ended up being:
64/30
ramp/15
72/10
ramp/10
78/bagout

:beerbang:
I certainly wouldn't have thought you'd get it too low with that mash schedule but I guess at 1050 OG it's much easier to get it lower. Also, alpha is the high temp (65-75), beta the low (60-68) or thereabouts on numbers B)

21. Aydos - an AIPA with 500g of hops.

A fair bit of hop aroma on the nose. Medium level of bitterness on the tounge, sort of a citrus piney flavour.
The malt bill on this, is it 90%-ish Pale and about 8-10% Crystal 60L? I can't place my finger on it.
Dry finish, which is to my liking, I could certainly drink a couple of these on any occasion :)

Back