Qld Xmas case Swap 2014- 6 Dec *tasting thread*

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No 7 parks lager not bad mate a bit of bananna in the aroma reasonably sessionable.

16 .hwall95 - What'd you Saison?
Good aroma on the nose with a nice little persistent head, very cloudy appearance. Good spicy saison flavours on the pallet and finishes just like a saison should. Well done.

BenKen25 said:
No 7 parks lager not bad mate a bit of bananna in the aroma reasonably sessionable.
You must have gotten the bottle sitting against my 3068 trub :ph34r:

-EDIT-
Interesting you got banana though. I got a strong white grape / grape seed flavour which made me think Motueka is very similar to Neslen Sauvin. Will be interested to hear what others think there...

17. Robv dark American wheat

Pours nice and dark in the glass. Piney hops on the nose mingled with some dark malt. Hoppy flavour up front followed by the malt and a dry finish. Good beer mate.

Parks said:
You must have gotten the bottle sitting against my 3068 trub :ph34r:

-EDIT-
Interesting you got banana though. I got a strong white grape / grape seed flavour which made me think Motueka is very similar to Neslen Sauvin. Will be interested to hear what others think there...
Sorry parks I got the banana last light too. I didn't post a review as I don't like b saaz one bit. That's not your fault and I did finish it.
Sorry mate.

tumblr_mattfr2EDF1r58qigo1_500.gif

EDIT: gif asking about which beer you just reviewed.

Beersuit said:
Sorry parks I got the banana last light too. I didn't post a review as I don't like b saaz one bit. That's not your fault and I did finish it.
Sorry mate.
Yeah, TBH it's not on my "to brew with again" list either. I was hoping it would be more Czech Saaz like but was still pretty happy with it as a beer on it's own.

Anyway, I'm keen to try it again now to see if I can pick up banana!

Also, don't say sorry! You perceive what you perceive.

It's more important and helpful to be honest than say nothing.

... unless you're being a carnt ;)

This year i am going to review the beers in a different way. I am not going down the beer judge feedback, more going for what i like or did not like about the beer. I have found when trying to give BJCP type reveiw i dont get to enjoy the beer as much so...
Eagleburger- 5 elements

I really like this one, this is what SNPA should be like.

Parks- moteuka lager.

Too much body for what i want from a lager. I know its a strong lager but for me a lager should be less. Dont get me wrong, I enjoyed it.

Liams Schwarzbier

Really liked this one. I love clean roasty chocolate beers this one did not disappoint.

17 - Dark American Wheat

Nice beer to have on a stormy night. Nice darks malts with good piney/citrusy hops at a good bitterness level and then finishes dry. Although I keep getting a bit of a nutty flavour but my mate didn't so who knows. The first dark american wheat I've had so no idea how it goes style wise but overall I really enjoyed it. Cheers

7 - Parks Motueka Lager

This was an interesting beer and certainly not what I expected. Never used the hop so didn't have much to based it on but basically I found this beer to smell and taste like a fruit salad that i use to eat all the time: Banana, rockmelon, apple and passionfruit. Seems like Motueka is a really interesting hop if that's what it gives! Overall nice beer, not something I would personally like too much but at 6% that's not a bad thing

16 .hwall95 - What'd you Saison? - Drink now or let it age, it's up to you

Wow, what a complex beer. Spicy, citrusy, phenolic, sour - all the things.

Personally it got a bit much by the end of the bottle and I got a little hot alcohol but not enough to be problematic. Finish was little full but if it wasn't I reckon the beer would have been way over the top. I'm guessing this is pretty big beer ABV-wise.

This is definitely a beer you could age as suggested :)

17 - Dark American Wheat

I'll start with all the things I didn't like about this beer.

Now onto what I really liked. Great creamy chocolatey malt, subtle and balanced hop character.

Very, very moorish.

It was complete rubbish so please send another bottle :D

bradsbrew said:
Parks- moteuka lager.

Too much body for what i want from a lager. I know its a strong lager but for me a lager should be less. Dont get me wrong, I enjoyed it.
I think it's the combination of an all malt 6% beer and the 2%
crystal. It finished at 1012 so it could have gone lower but I think next time I'll aim to get it down to about 5% and use some Munich I or Victory or something for character.

Sent using TapaTalk

16 hwall95
Let me start with I am not a fan of saisons. I really can't get past any type of phenolic esters and they are very pronounced in this beer.

Hope you get better feedbackfrom someone that enjoys this style.

I love saisons, gonna crack it on the weekend. Will have a couple of non-AHB beer mates around so will try to add their feedback on it and the other swap beers we open

I love saisons, gonna crack it on the weekend. Will have a couple of non-AHB beer mates around so will try to add their feedback on it and the other swap beers we open

Parks said:
I think it's the combination of an all malt 6% beer and the 2%
crystal. It finished at 1012 so it could have gone lower but I think next time I'll aim to get it down to about 5% and use some Munich I or Victory or something for character.

Sent using TapaTalk
You could have mashed it a bit lower I guess, since the mouthfeel was quite full - but I Iike the idea of victory in this beer instead.

bradsbrew said:
16 hwall95
Let me start with I am not a fan of saisons. I really can't get past any type of phenolic esters and they are very pronounced in this beer.
Hope you get bearly ter characteretter feedbackfrom someone that enjoys this style.
I guess if I was to brew a saison I would mash at a lower temp about 62, use less wheat and ferment at around 17-18 deg. But then it probably wouldnt be a saison, but at least it would be a nice dry summer beer with a soft ester character.

21 Aydos Aipa

Possibly a little too thin body for balance with the hops, not getting the piney hop character I expected. More earthy spicy that you get from a goldings type.

Apart from that, ******* awesome beer, I would throw good coin for a pint of that.

Latest posts

Back