Qld Xmas case Swap 2014- 6 Dec *tasting thread*

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10. Winkle - hefeweizen
11. Angus - Sarcasm Wit

Enjoyed both of these beers. Great work.

17 - Robv's Dark American Wheat
To be honest, I had to read the BJCP style description after I had this beer as I wasn't entirely sure what I was drinking.
I got a fair whack of wheat flavours on the nose, good mouth feel from a hazy, almost hefe, brown wheat beer.
Reading the style remarks afterwards, I'd have to conclude that it was pretty close to being what I'd read.
Nice beer, but personally, when it comes to American styled beers, I expect a bit more punch from some new world hops... That is just my preference though, and not a bad remark on your beer, which was otherwise delicious.

19 - Eagleburger's Five Elements
This was a really enjoyable beer, though cloudy and with a minimal head, which are the only two negatives I had.
Passion fruit notes on the nose, and a great balance between hops and malt when drinking it. I really enjoyed this beer :)

6 - Tazman1967's Brett Saison
Wow! I've been contemplating moving into the world of infected beers for a while. I've read a good part of the American Sour Beers book, but my oh my, this brett infected beer was just waaaayyyy too much for me...
Nearly nothing on the nose, followed by the swig from the glass, which just turned into this barn yard/ horse blanket kick in the face, followed by a lingering sourness... I definitely need to read up more on Brett before I get into doing anything with that. HAVING SAID THIS, a good friend of mine was visiting yesterday. He lives in the US, where he's a wine maker at a winery in Arizona. They experiment with Brett there, and he absolutely loved your Saison!!
Horses for courses, or horses in a bottle, I guess that's a very personal judgement :D

1 - Earle's Red Wheat Saison
OK mate, I think I need to ask for your recipe! I really enjoyed this beer quite a lot. I got wheat on the nose, followed by a swig that extended to citrus flavours and a peppery phenolic taste.
Very enjoyable, with its red/brown colour, slight haze, an a good carbonation level around that of an ale. I personally would have gone a little higher, but I've gotten remarks of overcarbing my beers before ;)

Cheers,
Martin

edit - spelling

I know pretty much all of you got my Twin Galaxy Blonde ale in the swap but...

:excl: FAIR WARNING :excl:

If anyone got the Sahara Nirvana Golden Ale, don't drink it - it's a flop IMHO. I cracked a bottle of it yesterday and ended up tipping it out on the grass. I can't really describe it but there's an acrid bite and strong burnt flavors to it. I don't know where I went wrong but I think the whole lot of it might be headed for the garden beds... :(

Put it like this; If someone where to offer me the choice between drinking that particular brew and a VB... well I wouldn't drink either but if they held a gun to my head I might well choose the VB.

If you have it, I'm sorry. Let me know and we can try to sort out a swap for one of my more proven brews... :blush:

14. Meno - Twin Galaxy Blonde, or Sahara Nirvana Golden Ale - READY NOW, DRINK WHENEVER

I got the Sahara Nirvana. Pours a clear deep red, aroma is citrusy hops & caramel, tastes nice chewy malt with some hop presence. Dark malt is the dominant flavour but only just. Little bit of a twang there but the hops & spec malts cover it up. Laces the glass all the way down and solid head retention. Overall a pleasant beer, I reckon double the hopping regime and turn it into an IPA next time!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1418531787.855761.jpg
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1418531842.492013.jpg

Hahaha jinx? Bit hard on yourself mate! I drank the whole thing and didn't hate it.

I reckon you might have accidentally doubled your roasted spec malt addition or something like that? At least that's what the colour and roast flavour are telling me

Liam_snorkel said:
I reckon you might have accidentally doubled your roasted spec malt addition or something like that? At least that's what the colour and roast flavour are telling me
That might well have been the case, I'll double check my notes... thanks for the kind feedback anyhow. Maybe I just got a bad bottle yesterday - I'll give it another shot before tipping the whole batch.

21. Aydos - an AIPA with 500g of hops. - READY TO DRINK NOW NICE AND FRESH. POUR GENTLY AS IT WAS BOTTLES CONDITIONED.

Holy shit. Pungent aroma tropical fruits and passionfruit, slightly (hop) hazy red/amber colour. Tastes OH FAK SO MUCH PINE yeah this is pretty great. Smooth rich malt, syrupy hops and tons of piney bitterness that hangs around. Left a considerable dent in my palate. Great lacing as one would expect.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1418533676.027951.jpg

Yeh, it seems the lack of classic orange in the wit is throwing some people.
I still like the idea f lemon and lime, so maybe orange and then add lemon as well. Just for something different.

9. Seehuusen - Aussie Summer Saison - Ready to drink now

This was a great afternoon beer, quite fruity with a good finish. Could easily drink a few of these! Cheers

seehuusen said:
1 - Earle's Red Wheat Saison
OK mate, I think I need to ask for your recipe! I really enjoyed this beer quite a lot. I got wheat on the nose, followed by a swig that extended to citrus flavours and a peppery phenolic taste.
Very enjoyable, with its red/brown colour, slight haze, an a good carbonation level around that of an ale. I personally would have gone a little higher, but I've gotten remarks of overcarbing my beers before ;)

Cheers,
Martin

edit - spelling
Thanks for the good comments. I agree that carbonation should be higher. Maybe another week could bring it up some more, suppose we'll see.

1. Earle Red Wheat Saison

Completely different to the previous post but I got mainly ginger on the nose and then a little bit of citrus: Reminded me of an ginger apple cider I made a while ago. Taste wise it was mixed, quite peppery with citrus and the finish was quite dry which was nice. Cheers mate

Yeh, thought we had lemon and lime at home when I started the brew. But no....
Ended up using lemon and lime juice instead. Probably should have dry-hopped the ferment.

No 16. Hwall95. Saison. Its been a hot kent of a day and this was very refreshing straight up nice spicey and dry. Could have a few of these. Nice work mate

17. Shirt front ipa. Not a bad beer mate nice aroma not over the top thought good chewey malt profile. I know it might be a big young but i really enjoyed it

20. BPH87 - Schwarzbier

Pours with a big fluffy head. Pretty much black but crystal clear so plenty of red highlights (photo doesn't really show it off). Tiny bit of choc malt aroma. Light roasted nutty malty flavour, dry finish but some slightly bitter caramel left over. I really like this. Good lacing and the head lasted all the way down.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1418897152.207587.jpg

Latest posts

Back