Qld Xmas case Swap 2014- 6 Dec *tasting thread*

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tazman1967 Brett Saison:

Really enjoyed this beer. I've only had a few Brett beers unfortunately but I found this one really nicely balanced between the saison and Brett; although I found Brett character more evident.

Smell I thought mainly smelled like Brett - musty leaves while bush walking IMO. Taste wise it started with saison and then ended with characteristic Brett flavour which it seems everyone describes as leather or horse blanket. Can't say I've tasted either but can definitely see where they're coming from in regards to leather. Overall the beer was a great experience, and I personally enjoyed it more then the other commercial Brett/Wild Ale I tried early in the night.

Benken - Burn doon the barn Rauchbeir Saison

Given over these first couple case swaps I've tried a ranghe of beer styles which I've never even heard of bewfore getting into this, it's been an interesting ride. The rauchbeirs I had from the mid year swap were interesting and tasty, and saisons tried on the night thjis time were a new (and good) one for me. The combination of the two for me in this instance was a winner. The strong smokiness offset by the saison tang made for a neat combination which went down well with some bratwurst.

The brett varietals - tried one on the night and it really wasn't spmething which I could take to. Likewise with the two from the swap. For me the 'brett' was too overpowering, npothing against the beer making skills of the fellas making it, so please don'y misundertsand me.

10 - Winkle Hefeweizen:

Despite it being uncarbed it was a pleasure to drink. Probably my first hefeweizen so I can't really compare it to anything but nice bannana aroma and taste, and really balanced. Cheers mate.

Sidenote: Pretty keen to brew a hefeweizen now

11 - Angus's Sarcastic Wit

Nice beer mate. Definitely got some of the Lemon & lime, and then the spicy and estery belgian yeast. Really refreshing and goes nicely around a fire. Cheers

14 twin Galaxy pale ale.

A nice easy approachable beer which is great after the day I've had. A nice level of hops which slightly hides the malt.

Sessionable. I need another 8 bottles to make sure of that assumption though.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1419078720.644927.jpg

Winkle Hefeweizen

Had on carb cap for a week. Nicely carb'd but my carb cap dropped the poppet and I had to grab my shifter from the shed as cap was stuck on. Think I lost a bit of carb in the **** around.

Getting good yeast character and spices coming through in front taste.

Let this one warm up to get the banana and slickness coming through. The slickness hangs around and I get some mild banana taste if I try really hard to describe it.

Would like some more.

1. Earle - red wheat saison - Good to go
2. Beersuit - Bretted Farmhouse IPA Drink in 2 weeks. Pour gently
3. Liam_s - Schwarzbier - DRINK IMMEDIATELY
4. Bradsbrew - Hazelnut Rocky Road Porter-DRINK NOW or wait a week or two out of the fridge, should help to make it tastes like it smells
6. tazman1967 Brett Saison -Another week, pour carefully.
7. Parks - Motueka Lager - DRINK NOW best served cold
8. madpierre06 - Biggus Dikkus American Cream Ale - GIVE TWO WEEKS, ALSO CHECK THE BOTTLE COLLAR BEFORE OPENING AS WHEN CUTTING OFF OLD CAP COLLARS I NICKED THE RIM ON A COUPLE I THINK AND SLICED MY FINGER OPEN
9. Seehuusen - Aussie Summer Saison - Ready to drink now
10. Winkle - hefeweizen - DRINK NOW
11. Angus - Sarcastic Wit. - drink now
14. Meno - Twin Galaxy Blonde &/or Sahara Nirvana Golden Ale - READY NOW, DRINK WHENEVER.
16 .hwall95 - What'd you Saison? - Drink now or let it age, it's up to you
17. Robv - Dark american wheat - READY NOW
18. benken25. burn down the barn (rauchbier saison) Give mine a week or so
19. Eagleburger- Five Elements, drinkable now, I fillrd them to the top. bottle noob.
20. BPH87 - Schwarzbier - Ready Now
21. Aydos - an AIPA with 500g of hops. - READY TO DRINK NOW NICE AND FRESH. POUR GENTLY AS IT WAS BOTTLES CONDITIONED.
22. HBHB - 13% abv Russian Imperial Stout hopped to 91IBU with Marynka Polish Hops - DRINK WHENEVER -SLOWLY
23. Ballantyne Brew - Shirt Front IPA - couple of weeks to carb. Bottled 2/12/14

Beer updated as ready to drink

Earle, what's in your saison? I'm getting slightly woody aroma with a lemon acidity. The flavour a are totally different though, I can't pick it but there is a ginger flavour in it and something else I can't pick. Can you shed some light?

aydos said:
Earle, what's in your saison? I'm getting slightly woody aroma with a lemon acidity. The flavour a are totally different though, I can't pick it but there is a ginger flavour in it and something else I can't pick. Can you shed some light?
There's definitely some ginger although I halved the amount in this batch from the first batch. I will shed some light but will wait until some others have tasted it first. Hope you enjoyed it.

4. Bradsbrew - Hazelnut Rocky Road:

This was a great desert beer! Aroma-wise I got lots of chocolate and jelly lolly. And then tastewise it was basically a great rocky road with a good bitterness finish. Overall really loved it, would love to see to recipe

earle said:
There's definitely some ginger although I halved the amount in this batch from the first batch. I will shed some light but will wait until some others have tasted it first. Hope you enjoyed it.
Got one in the fridge chilling, will crack it some time this week and provide feedback

9. Seehuusen aussie summer saison. Drinking this while waiting for the webber to heat up to cook some pork. Going down a treat mate. I must say i am loving the wide variety of saisons in this swap

No 8. Madperrie06 biggus dikkus american cream ale. I am sure this the first cream ale i have tried. Slight fruityness on the nose and such a smooth mouthfeel. With a slightly bitter finish well made sir

aydos said:
earle said:
Liam_snorkel said:
Got one in the fridge chilling, will crack it some time this week and provide feedback
Refreshing beer but curious flavour combination. Aroma to me is cracked white pepper and orange/lemon, and the flavour kind of follows with a more subtle spice and a darker citrus flavour maybe ginger but I wouldn't have picked it exactly if it hadn't been mentioned. Dry but not thin.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1419242891.533483.jpg

My wife says it smells like fish food.

I might as well start trying these now too; FIL asked if I could wait until he got here and now he is - so here we go...

11 - Angus's Sarcastic Wit

A lovely drop; smells of zesty citrus with a delightfully dry and refreshing mouthfeel. A gorgeous light hay colour and I can clearly taste the citrus (lemon & lime). I don't miss the darker orange flavours that others do. The head is pretty big (probably my fault with the over-eager pouring) and persists without a lot of lace, all in all a very refreshing summer drink. I hope my own first attempt at a wit, just bottled yesterday, turns out half as good.

FILs Comments; Smells better than it tastes.

edit: I took a pic but can't seem to get it off my phone. Will post it later if I have any success with it.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1419397323.117596.jpg

22. HBHB - 13% abv Russian Imperial Stout hopped to 91IBU with Marynka Polish Hops

Holy **** what a beer, excellent work as always Martin. Plenty thick and big everything, had to Cronk some with a big eye worked a treat !ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1419397418.584268.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1419397506.217552.jpg

21. Aydos - an AIPA with 500g of hops.

Lovely pine, fantastic go of a aipa, so good I had to get the bill
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1419397612.035274.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1419397624.251901.jpg

Latest posts

Back