Qld Xmas Swap Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks heaps for the feedback guys, really appreciate it, it makes me feel warm inside that other people enjoy my beers.

Winkle - I mashed at 67, how much higher should I go, and what flavours would this enhance/ eliminate?
- I tried to keep the color very light, as I don't like to much malt presence in my IPA's

I have only been brewing for 6 months, and to hear you guys say such good things about my beers makes all the cash I have dropped into my brewery justified.

Really want to know what everyone else thinks as well, as every little bit of feedback helps.

(I am saving all my swap beers until christmas day to share with livershank and discuss over christmas lunch, will try and take notes and give everyone feedback)

67 is fine and if you don't want much malt presence then leave it the way it is, I was talking about my preferences only, hey -it was good anyway :icon_cheers: .

I can remember the tasting discussion when dropping by the following evening...

Winkle: Can you remember drinking Tidal Pete's swap beer last night?

GG: I don't know, did we?

W: I'm pretty sure we did...

GG: What type of beer was it?

W: Errr....

(Pause for a minute or so while we pondered this question over a couple of mouthfuls of Winkles Saison Noir)

W: Was it something dark, like this??

GG: Oh yeah, that was that big over-the-top porter that tasted like a full-on choc stout. Once you picked your head up off the floor from the initial cocoa explosion, it was a top drop...

W: Yeah, that's right!

(More Saison Noir consumed obviously...)

In conclusion, the case swap beers undergo a comprehensive tasting evaluation by a hgihly experienced group of brewing gods...

Thus endeth the review....

:icon_drunk:

GG

BTW - Nice work Pete, is there any more?? :kooi:

Ed - Spulink

Still a few litres left in the keg Gravity so see if you can find a driver to bring you up here ASAP? :D :icon_cheers:
Sadly, I seem to have missed out on King Brown's well-acclaimed Swap contribution but have 2 of Livershank's bottles to keep me happy instead.
Still to open any but will do so soon.

TP

How did that happen pete??

Are you in brisbane anytime soon?

I could save you a stub, or even better, brew it again.....

let me know.

No dramas, will catch up then, and you can try my newest and biggest IPA.
Can you try to make the next one bitter :p

Actually, I want to do an IPA next and would love to see your recipe as that was spot on for me.

I've enjoyed a few over the last couple of days so i should probably comment instead of just drinking .

#1 DKS German lager
Nice and bright long lasting head with nice lacing and a little bit of breadiness which sat quite well with the malt overall a very enjoyable beer

#3 Florian Schwarzbier
very clean balanced beer carbonation on the low side slight toastiness but very smooth and enjoyable could easily drink this all night

# 15 Liver Shanks Bourbon soaked peach Dunkelweiss
I honestly don't know where to start with this beer there is so much happening that you have to stop and double check what your drinking everything just seemed to come together perfectly the carbonation was spot on nice long lasting head caramel coloured and head plenty of flavour (Stone fruit and nice bourbon barrel ) behind the malt

#14 KBB's Double IP Heyyyyyy
Without doubt the most balanced and enjoyable IPA i have ever had this is a great beer, I couldn't fault it and you need to send me the recipe, Good flavour that just rolled across the tounge and left me wanting more the bitterness was perfect some may have wanted more but i found it great
This is a very enjoyable beer

Might have to sample the Parks brew this arvo <_<

Edit> spl

Will post the recipe shortly, just cleaning up after a big brewday....

Me and Livershank did an APA and a Belgium strong, just put the last into the fermenter.

I tell you what, since argon put me onto whirlpooling, SO much shit is left in the kettle....

Makes me wonder what I was drinking before....

#14 KBB's Double IP Heyyyyyy
Without doubt the most balanced and enjoyable IPA i have ever had this is a great beer, I couldn't fault it and you need to send me the recipe, Good flavour that just rolled across the tounge and left me wanting more the bitterness was perfect some may have wanted more but i found it great
This is a very enjoyable beer

I don't think anyone wanted more bitterness - it's been a tongue-in-cheek suggestion that it wasn't as bitter as he thought it was. (I think I was the only one taking the piss out of it anyway :))

I had Brad's Dry Oatmeal Stout. It was fairly low in carbonation, good solid beer.

I think you're is a victim of your own success Brad - it wasn't as nice (to me) as the stout you had at the swap meet. So, your case swap beer is probably the second best stout I've had recently...

I also had NickB's Sex Panther.

Really like this beer. It's such a light flavour for a really dark beer. Good big bitterness, lots of late hop flavour (must have been one of the 60% ;))

I had Brad's Dry Oatmeal Stout. It was fairly low in carbonation, good solid beer.

I think you're is a victim of your own success Brad - it wasn't as nice (to me) as the stout you had at the swap meet. So, your case swap beer is probably the second best stout I've had recently...
Cheers Parks, I agree. The stout at the swap was infact the swap beer topped up with the Imperial stout on tap here. Edit, I probably told you this at the swap but cant remember, I remember telling someone :huh:

Cheers

Drinking Florian's Schwarz
Nice Munich malty flavour with a touch of roastiness. A little thinner than other schwarzbiers Ive had but this adds to its quaffability. Definitley lager-like which sits nicely this hot arvo and I want more. Probably not Gold or silver to AJCP police but a bloody nice beer all the same to me. Thanks Florian very tasty.
A good swap so far. Very happy with all beers to date.
Daz

Just cracked Winkle's Belgian Wheat Stout.

High carbonation and a really strong stout flavour. I can't detect the wheat too much.

I didn't think it was too alcoholic until I just topped up and tasted the head which seemed laden with alcohol.

Overall, I'm very impressed. I would love to see this recipe too Winkle... There's a roast/toast in there and I would love to know where it comes from.

Just cracked Winkle's Belgian Wheat Stout.

High carbonation and a really strong stout flavour. I can't detect the wheat too much.

I didn't think it was too alcoholic until I just topped up and tasted the head which seemed laden with alcohol.

Overall, I'm very impressed. I would love to see this recipe too Winkle... There's a roast/toast in there and I would love to know where it comes from.

No problems, glad you liked it, this particular batch missed the target a touch - I'll do a quick revamp and re-brew very soon. I'll post up the recipe in this thread soonish.

Cracked a bottle of my stout at the office to get some independent analysis of whether it's ready - everyone enjoyed it (one decided to drink the last half inch out of the bottle after swirling it around to get the yeast.... I'm thinking he wanted me to open a second one).

Can't wait to hear what you guys think of it.

Cheers,

Ed

Cracked a bottle of my stout at the office to get some independent analysis of whether it's ready - everyone enjoyed it (one decided to drink the last half inch out of the bottle after swirling it around to get the yeast.... I'm thinking he wanted me to open a second one).

Can't wait to hear what you guys think of it.

Cheers,

Ed
I really liked it too Ed. I had a few that day so can't remember specifics (plus I'm not really the best "judge" at the best of times) but it certainly hit the spot.

Parks' Robust Porter

Aroma of slightly sour bitter chocolate and toast. Flavour is similar - dark bitter chocolate a few toasty notes and medium lenght malty finish. Very similar to Ross's Robust Porter recipe, that I've brewed meself. Good one

parks.JPG

Edit- Goes well with a creamy blue cheese and rice crackers

Latest posts

Back