Qld Xmas Swap Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Parks' Robust Porter

Aroma of slightly sour bitter chocolate and toast. Flavour is similar - dark bitter chocolate a few toasty notes and medium lenght malty finish. Very similar to Ross's Robust Porter recipe, that I've brewed meself. Good one

View attachment 51240

Edit- Goes well with a creamy blue cheese and rice crackers
I was wondering if it was slightly under bittered. Glad you enjoyed it :)

Paxx - APA

Poured a darker amber than I was expecting with lively carbonation, big tropical fruit aroma. Medium mouthfeel, hoppy-ness stretching through the flavour to a lingering bitter finish. Nice, not a bad or ordinary beer yet!

NickB - Sex Panther

Needs more hops.

:ph34r:
Tastes much better than a sex cougar! :blink:
A big Hop bomb - big hoppy aroma, flavour and hoppy finish - always good, but nothing subtle about it, a hopheads' delight.

Didn't take alot of notes this time round but did put basics down. With one beer left to try

1. DKS - German Faux lager. Risk it now.

Had a slight phenolic note to this beer which I didnt enjoy too much. The rest seemed ok but possibly was a problem with the yeast but not sure.

2. Bradsbrew - Dry Oatmeal Stout. Drink now

Bit over the top on the roast for a dry stout but still quite enjoyable

3. Florian - Schwarzbier (new recipe) - DRINK NOW!!! Has been lagering for 3 month and is at its best now

Well balanced with malt body and bitterness good beer could quite happily have a few of these

4. TidalPete - Maybe Baby! Vanilla Mocha Porter

Bloody nice beer Pete. Didnt get a lot of the vanilla but the choc was very powerful, I would like to know how you got that much choc to stay in the flavour

5. Paxx - Just a simple APA with some nice fresh Amarillo - Good to drink now the fresher the better

Nicely balanced beer enjoyed it but there was a slight offensive note to me, I think It may have been the Amarillo. Used to love Amarillo but not too sure about it these days.

6. Argon - Munich Helles - Needs more lagering time best after new year

High in what I perceive as phenolics I am not sure if this is right but whatever it is but I really dont like that flavour or smell, I associate it with infection but could be wrong.

7. Parks - Robust Porter - READY TO DRINK!

Another beer that I enjoyed hit all the marks for me but the alcohol could have been hidden a bit more and seemed to dominate which took away from the balance.

10. Winkle - 11*11*11 Belgian Wheat Stout - OK now, but best give it until theb 17th Dec

In the fridge and ready to go after dinner.

12. Ed - Stout (not attending, NickB delivering) - give it 2 weeks at least

Bloody good stout that one, really enjoyed it. Well balanced

13. NickB - Sex Panther Black IPA (7%, 90IBU)

Fantastic Nick! Best of swap so far ( havnt tried Perrys Stout yet though). Also noted that you are getting a consistent result with this beer unless of course this was from the same batch that I have tried. Would like to be able to sink a few of these.

14. King Brown Brewing - Double IP-Heyyyyyyyyyy - Good to drink now, bitterer than a mother-in-law sucking on a lemon

Like the malt, body and flavour of this one but was a bit too bitter for my pallet. Yes I know its a 2IPA but I dont think the malt matched the bitterness for me. Did drink it all though

15. Liver Shank Ambroisiares - Bourbon soaked peach Dunkelweiss

Was not what I was expecting, didnt really get the bourbon and peach also was a lot thinner than I was expecting but this was a good surprise and I quite enjoyed it . Would like to see the recipe for this one as it has me interested in the flavours I was picking up. Cheers

13. NickB - Sex Panther Black IPA (7%, 90IBU)

Fantastic Nick! Best of swap so far ( havnt tried Perrys Stout yet though). Also noted that you are getting a consistent result with this beer unless of course this was from the same batch that I have tried. Would like to be able to sink a few of these.

Thanks Brad!

This was my second attempt at the recipe (first one you tasted at the BABBs System Wars day and at BABBs).

Added some black malt as the colour was too light on for me first batch...

Luckily I have the remainder of the keg CCing while I'm away. Should be tasting OK after 5 weeks.... ;)

I'm getting jealous though. Had a few OK beers down here this trip, but mainly on the Cascade Lagers. Can't wait to dive in to the tasting next weekend.... :)

Cheers!

Poured a deep brown colour with a small lasting tan head.
Faint but clear bourbon aroma, with brown sugar and sweet fruity/malty notes.
Flavour - bourbon up front, sweet malt, no real peach initially but some in mid palate possibly some oak.
Finish - unexpectedly soft malty finish, touch of cigar smoke and definate peach note in the finish.
Maybe not the best in the swap but one of the most interesting.

Just back in QLD, so back into the swap beers.....

First up...

So, a very interesting beer for sure. Poured with a nice tan head, retention good. Lots going on flavour wise. Hints of peach, little bit of sweetness from the Bourbon. Not sure what else to add... Maybe look at mashing slightly higher next time as the finish was quite dry and the body was slightly thin... Interesting effort, and knowing the time and effort put into this beer (thanks for the brew day!) I'm sure the next batch will be even better :)

Cheers

Second tonight, is...

14. King Brown Brewing - Double IP-Heyyyyyyyyyy - Good to drink now, bitterer than a mother-in-law sucking on a lemon

Pours extremely clear with a nice head that fades fairly quickly. As mentioned previously, not as bitter as I thought it would be, but more than enough to let you know you're drinking a 2IPA. Flavour is resinous and floral, some citrus notes. Very much to style. Not much more to say that hasn't already been said, but a wonderful IPA Dan! Loving every mouthful. Probably not the best enjoyed straight after LiverShank's Dunkelweiss and the BABBs Oak Aged Belgian, but going down a treat on a balmy night!

Cheers

Still burping hops... Love it! :D

Finally got around to drinking winkles swap.

Absolutely awesome mate, love it. would like to see the recipe for this one. I could quite easily drink a few of these.............................then fall over.

Cheers

Guys thanks for the feedback, really happy that some of you liked my beer, I couldnt ask for a better result!!!

Since brewing the double IPHEYYYYYYY I have changed several aspects of my brewing procedure that hopefully will result in a much better beer for the next swap.

I am already planning what it will be.....

Thanks to everyone for fantastic beers and for humouring my hop loving attitude.

Tonight...

5. Paxx - Just a simple APA with some nice fresh Amarillo - Good to drink now the fresher the better

Nice colour, clarity brilliant. Rocky head that subsides slowly with a thin layer remaining. Nice clean malt, hop flavour extremely well balanced. Bitterness firm up front but fades into the finish. Nice clean flavours. Slight hint of Diacetyl in the aroma, the Amarillo subtle but definitely there. Lovely, just how I like an APA! Not trying to be a mini IPA, but a well balanced and flavourful beer!

Going down a treat on this hot and sticky night!

Top marks!

Cheers

Secondly tonight...

7. Argon - Munich Helles - Needs more lagering time best after new year

Pours a clear yellow, head retention great. Initial aroma of green apples (acetaldehyde) dominates, not much malt or hop presence.

Flavour is malty sweet, some harsh phenolic character in the aftertaste...

Sorry to say, I think I either have an infected bottle, or there is a yeast issue here :(

Cheers

OK, tonight I'm starting with...

1. DKS - German Faux lager

Pours a clear, golden colour, head retention good, although carbonation low for style. Aroma slightly fruity, malt notes. Flavour is malty, some supporting bitterness that is slightly out of balance. A slight astringency in the aftertaste, and a slight phenolic flavour (somewhat plasticy) that unfortunately detracts somewhat from this beer.

A decent beer let down slightly by either an infection or a yeast problem.

Cheers

OK, tonight I'm starting with...

1. DKS - German Faux lager

Pours a clear, golden colour, head retention good, although carbonation low for style. Aroma slightly fruity, malt notes. Flavour is malty, some supporting bitterness that is slightly out of balance. A slight astringency in the aftertaste, and a slight phenolic flavour (somewhat plasticy) that unfortunately detracts somewhat from this beer.

A decent beer let down slightly by either an infection or a yeast problem.

Cheers

10:03 PM :eek: You're starting late Nickster? I'm going to bed in a minute.
Still to post my evaluations that are all written down TTBOMM.

TP

Just a note to anyone who hasn't consumed my beer by now - its getting very over carbonated ( OG 1.080 FG 1.020) so have a jug near by - still pretty tasty though (although after 30+ beers last nite who could tell :blink: )

Another tonight...

3. Florian - Schwarzbier (new recipe) - DRINK NOW!!! Has been lagering for 3 month and is at its best now

Not as dark as anticipated, poured with a nice head that stuck around for half the glass.

Roast and chocolate notes, but not ashy or astringent. Hops were present but not overpowering. Balance was spot on...

Another great Lager Florian!

Cheers

OK Perry, yours is first of the rank for tomorrow. Jug on standby ;)

Cheers!

Next tonight...

4. TidalPete - Maybe Baby! Vanilla Mocha Porter

Pete... What can I say!!!

Well for one, I'm glad you shared the recipe ;)

Pours a deep dark black with caramel highlights when held up to the light.... Carbonation is low, but head sticks around for a while. Initial aroma of sweet chocolate, vanilla... (Even SWMBO took a sniff when prompted and commented 'doesn't smell like beer' - that's a ringing endorsement ;))

Alcohol is well hidden, body is medium and the balance between the sweet chocolate and the roast malt is slightly skewed toward the sweet, but for my palate, spot on...

A lovely beer Pete! Sweet, malty, balanced and going down a treat tonight!

Glad I ended up with 2 bottles ;)

Cheers

Latest posts

Back