Qld Xmas Swap Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just tried Florian's Schwarzbier. All I can say is mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

No idea what a Schwarzbier is supposed to taste like but knowing Florian it will be pretty smack bang in style.

Very tasty.

Also had King Brown's IP-HEYYYYY! We discussed this beer at the swap, and I mentioned the BBR-BYO experiment on IBU ceiling and basically no beer can go above 50-60IBUs.

This beer was promised to be 1000 mouth puckering IBUs, which, it wasn't. It was exactly what I wanted in an IPA - great big bitterness and flavour. It was truly a delicious beer. And I am fairly new to the highly bittered beers so I was expecting to have something less palatable than I had.

2 fantastic beers. These were a perfect accompaniment to plastering several walls which have been waiting for some time...

So, I've had 4 beers and all 4 have been great. Putting the pressure on the rest!

I agree with Parks that King Brown's IP-Heyyyy is a very nice drop. Almost finished it now and trying to decide what to open next.

Couldn't decide what to open so I opened one of mine to check it's on track. Shouldn't have anyone unable to finish a bottle of it but won't hold a candle to the beers i've tasted so far. Hopefully a few more weeks in the bottle will smooth out the bumps.

Split TP's entry with GravityGuru on Friday night and peering back in time through an alcoholic pea-souper of a fog, it was a bit over the top flavour wise at first before settling down to a good beery experience. I'll attempt to give much better feedback with the rest :rolleyes:

I must admit I tried one of my left over swap beers and the bitterness has really smoothed out since I tasted it last.

It actually turned out quite nice, sorry to those who were expecting a bitterness blast.

I must admit I tried one of my left over swap beers and the bitterness has really smoothed out since I tasted it last.

It actually turned out quite nice, sorry to those who were expecting a bitterness blast.

how dare you share something drinkable and enjoyable! shame on you :icon_cheers:

Just into it now King Brown. Very nice indeed. No way is that over bittered. Bloody good in my books. Thanks.
Daz

Ok. just put Dans and Florians beer in the beer fridge for assessment tomorrow nite - better feedback this time ;)

I believe I don't have to tell you in which order to drink them if you want to be able to enjoy them both (insert smart arse emoticon)

Just got around to sticking mine in the fridge as well, apart from number 12. Might try Pete's tonight and then get through the carton a bit quicker than the last years. I still got a bottle from 18 month ago :eek:

My comments are meant to reflect my impression of drinkability, ie. not to style guidelines.

3 Florian Schwarzbier
Deep brown to black with ruby highlites, lowish carbonation level.
Aroma - light sweet malt with mild toast.
Flavour - smooth maltiness with a touch of lightly burnt toast (probably at just the right level for this comsumer). Overall a very nice sessional beer, good stuff.

6(or9) KBB HHHey IPA

Typical big US hop aroma (but a combination that did work very well) with some malt lurking in the background. Hops dominate this beer, with bitterness levels on the high side, evident alcohol in the background, maltiness takes a back seat. Pretty clean finish after all that surprisingly.
Overall a good solid beer with real hop presence, but Id like to see a either slightly elevated mash temp or a increase in the crystal malt(s) percentage (which would lift the colour up to deep amber which I prefer in these things). Despite all that It'd probably do well if judged to BJCP.
Cheers mate (was a much better experience than watch the Roar lose again :( )

Edit: Went bold

I just stuck numbers 1+2 in the fridge for comsumption after brewing this evening.

1 DKS Lagerish thing

Very bright, lasting white head, medium level carbonation. Nice presentation, light citrus aroma, very clean, I gave up trying to figure out the hops. Great beer on a hot day, or even tonight :icon_cheers: . May have to talk to you about this one mate.

3 Brads Oatmeal Stout.

Black as possible with a tan stick-with-it head, medium carbonation. Aroma (see oatmeal stout), Flavour - I'm guessing around 1 kg of roast went in here - slightly oily, smooth, coffee and burnt toast (without vegemite- a good thing IMO). Alcohol is very well hidden if its is up there. Nice beer to end the night with. All been good so far :icon_chickcheers:

Split TP's entry with GravityGuru on Friday night and peering back in time through an alcoholic pea-souper of a fog, it was a bit over the top flavour wise at first before settling down to a good beery experience. I'll attempt to give much better feedback with the rest :rolleyes:

I can remember the tasting discussion when dropping by the following evening...

Winkle: Can you remember drinking Tidal Pete's swap beer last night?

GG: I don't know, did we?

W: I'm pretty sure we did...

GG: What type of beer was it?

W: Errr....

(Pause for a minute or so while we pondered this question over a couple of mouthfuls of Winkles Saison Noir)

W: Was it something dark, like this??

GG: Oh yeah, that was that big over-the-top porter that tasted like a full-on choc stout. Once you picked your head up off the floor from the initial cocoa explosion, it was a top drop...

W: Yeah, that's right!

(More Saison Noir consumed obviously...)

In conclusion, the case swap beers undergo a comprehensive tasting evaluation by a hgihly experienced group of brewing gods...

Thus endeth the review....

:icon_drunk:

GG

BTW - Nice work Pete, is there any more?? :kooi:

Ed - Spulink

I can remember the tasting discussion when dropping by the following evening...

Winkle: Can you remember drinking Tidal Pete's swap beer last night?

GG: I don't know, did we?

W: I'm pretty sure we did...

GG: What type of beer was it?

W: Errr....

(Pause for a minute or so while we pondered this question over a couple of mouthfuls of Winkles Saison Noir)

W: Was it something dark, like this??

GG: Oh yeah, that was that big over-the-top porter that tasted like a full-on choc stout. Once you picked your head up off the floor from the initial cocoa explosion, it was a top drop...

W: Yeah, that's right!

(More Saison Noir consumed obviously...)

In conclusion, the case swap beers undergo a comprehensive tasting evaluation by a hgihly experienced group of brewing gods...

Thus endeth the review....

:icon_drunk:

GG

BTW - Nice work Pete, is there any more?? :kooi:

Ed - Spulink
That was it! - absolutely Verbatim, or something like that. PS: I've just watched Pakistani Daleks on YouTube which gives you a similar effect as drinking Bradsbrew stout.

No, no, no - not that - a sense of community, family, humour and the need to exterminate everyone then and put them in the curry. :p

Goodness its that the time..........................

Thanks heaps for the feedback guys, really appreciate it, it makes me feel warm inside that other people enjoy my beers.

Winkle - I mashed at 67, how much higher should I go, and what flavours would this enhance/ eliminate?
- I tried to keep the color very light, as I don't like to much malt presence in my IPA's

I have only been brewing for 6 months, and to hear you guys say such good things about my beers makes all the cash I have dropped into my brewery justified.

Really want to know what everyone else thinks as well, as every little bit of feedback helps.

(I am saving all my swap beers until christmas day to share with livershank and discuss over christmas lunch, will try and take notes and give everyone feedback)

Latest posts

Back