Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That number is the volume of dissolved CO2. If it is, say 2.21, then there is 2.21 grams of CO2 disolved in every gram of beer.
As you can see from the colour key 2.21 is at the low end of carbonation for most ales and lagers. It's just a bit sparkly for your average porter/stout and not sparkly enough for wheat beers.
I don't think I've used a gas chart, I just carb it up and if it isn't carbonated enough I put more gas in and if it's over carbonated I bleed the keg of gas and let it equalise again.

EDIT: Sorry, this has been answered by everybody else before me. For some reason a whole page of answers didn't display. Probably user error.

So I have just checked my second keg after doing the 6 days at 10psi instead of 48 hours at 30 psi. I just poured a beer and I’m not getting all head this time. It pours well. I can pour the beer just once and get a nice head. But…. The head retention is not as good as my first keg and it looks more like a soft drink with big bubbles. Tastes as good as the first one as it’s exactly the same lager I used. Do I carbonate it for another day or two or just finish it as it is now.

If you have chosen to carbonate the keg by setting the SERVING pressure and just leaving the science of carbonating to accurate theory then you are on the right track.
You may find that the beer will get to a better level of carbonation after a few mor days but no one knows your system but you.
As has been explained, carbonation will depend on temperature and time and by carbonating at actual serving pressure you will never have overcarbonated beer.

You question of ‘do I carbonate it for another day or two etc etc..’

Will not apply if you have set the carbonating pressure to the actual serving pressure.
I think once you have a bit of a stock of beers to drink the time any keg takes to carbonate won’t be an issue.
Head retention and “bubble” quality may be other issues such as glass cleanliness, beer recipe formulation, brewing methods, general equipment cleaning and so on.

If you have chosen to carbonate the keg by setting the SERVING pressure and just leaving the science of carbonating to accurate theory then you are on the right track.
You may find that the beer will get to a better level of carbonation after a few mor days but no one knows your system but you.
As has been explained, carbonation will depend on temperature and time and by carbonating at actual serving pressure you will never have overcarbonated beer.

You question of ‘do I carbonate it for another day or two etc etc..’

Will not apply if you have set the carbonating pressure to the actual serving pressure.
I think once you have a bit of a stock of beers to drink the time any keg takes to carbonate won’t be an issue.
Head retention and “bubble” quality may be other issues such as glass cleanliness, beer recipe formulation, brewing methods, general equipment cleaning and so on.
With the head retention part, I used the same glass, same recipe, same everything.
And with the carbonation, I used the chart after measuring the temp and dissolved CO2 to get the pressure setting.
I’ll give it a day or two and test it again to see how it is.

Just add 1 more PSI today and have a beer.
Add 1 more PSI and have beer until your happy with the pour and head.

I am at 14 PSI on my gauge!
I am aiming for what I think 12 PSI is, but the gauge states 14 PSi.
I am right or the gauge? It is what it is, just enjoy!!

As long as you don't go too far beyond what you are aiming for, you will be close to what you want.

Just add 1 more PSI today and have a beer.
Add 1 more PSI and have beer until your happy with the pour and head.

I am at 14 PSI on my gauge!
I am aiming for what I think 12 PSI is, but the gauge states 14 PSi.
I am right or the gauge? It is what it is, just enjoy!!

As long as you don't go too far beyond what you are aiming for, you will be close to what you want.
Ok cool thanks for that!!

Latest posts

Back