Qld Xmas case Swap 2014- 6 Dec *tasting thread*

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
11. Sarcasm wit. Cracked it first up when i got home from work yesterday. The lemon and the lime is very subtle but there. Overall very refreshing and drinkable. Good work mate

10 - Winkle Hefeweizen
Aside from it being completely devoid of any CO2, the flavour was extremely nice. I like a good weizbeer, and have jumped on an offer of buying a carbonation cap ;) Wish I'd had it already, I would have loved to try that beer with proper carbonation, it would have taken it from good to great I reckon!

11 - Angus Sarcasm Wit
I didn't get any lime/lemon flavours at all with this one. Low yeast phenolics too, was this fermented at a low temp?
Still, it has potential, and I'd love to try your second batch of this :)

22 - HBHB Russian Imperial Stout
Absolutely nothing bad to say about this beer at all, although, I did expect a MUCH higher bitterness, that didn't seem to show too much.
I got sherry flavours from this one, great malt backbone, thick nearly. The alcohol was warming, and I'd be happy to sip down a few of these on a cold winters day (then sleep the booze off on the couch haha)

Yep, I was a bit disappointed with lack of lemon and lime. Guess that's why you brew a test batch and bring Version 2 to the swap... :unsure:

I don't have my ferment temp recorded. Stupido. I would guess at 18 degrees as that's my normal ale temp. So might bump it up to 19 for batch 2

1. Earle - red wheat saison - GIVE IT ANOTHER WEEK OR SO TO FINISH CARBING
2. Beersuit - Bretted Farmhouse IPA Drink in 2 weeks. Pour gently
3. Liam_s - Schwarzbier - DRINK IMMEDIATELY
4. Bradsbrew - Hazelnut Rocky Road Porter-DRINK NOW or wait a week or two out of the fridge, should help to make it tastes like it smells
6. tazman1967 Brett Saison -Another week, pour carefully.
7. Parks - Motueka Lager - DRINK NOW best served cold
8. madpierre06 - Biggus Dikkus American Cream Ale - GIVE TWO WEEKS, ALSO CHECK THE BOTTLE COLLAR BEFORE OPENING AS WHEN CUTTING OFF OLD CAP COLLARS I NICKED THE RIM ON A COUPLE I THINK AND SLICED MY FINGER OPEN
9. Seehuusen - Aussie Summer Saison - Ready to drink now
10. Winkle - hefeweizen - DRINK NOW
11. Angus - Sarcastic Wit. - drink now
14. Meno - Twin Galaxy Blonde &/or Sahara Nirvana Golden Ale - READY NOW, DRINK WHENEVER.
16 .hwall95 - What'd you Saison? - Drink now or let it age, it's up to you
17. Robv - Dark american wheat - READY NOW
18. benken25. burn down the barn (rauchbier saison) Give mine a week or so
19. Eagleburger- Five Elements, drinkable now, I fillrd them to the top. bottle noob.
20. BPH87 - Schwarzbier - Ready Now
21. Aydos - an AIPA with 500g of hops. - READY TO DRINK NOW NICE AND FRESH. POUR GENTLY AS IT WAS BOTTLES CONDITIONED.
22. HBHB - 13% abv Russian Imperial Stout hopped to 91IBU with Marynka Polish Hops - DRINK WHENEVER -SLOWLY
23. Ballantyne Brew - Shirt Front IPA - couple of weeks to carb. Bottled 2/12/14

11. Angus' Sarcastic Wit

Lovely refreshing wit. I certainly wouldn't want any more citrus in there as it's quite dominant already. I didn't pick up much in the way of coriander or other spices.

7. Parks Motueka Lager

I like Motueka in other blends but just too much by itself. Sorry mate. On the other hand helped me drink the fist Friday arvo beer quickly.

2. Lian swarzbier

Good stuff. While its an ale yeast I like a swarzbier with extra body and flavour. Somewhere between a swarzbier and a munich dunkel. Yum

21. Aydos AIPA

Great AIPA. Lovely malt. Hops are up front and fresh. Bitterness is nicely restrained.

Hops present a lovely combination of mandarin, orange and grapefruit.

I must have gotten a different bottle to Brad because I found most points exactly the opposite! (certainly wouldn't want any more body mostly)

bradsbrew said:
21 Aydos Aipa

Possibly a little too thin body for balance with the hops, not getting the piney hop character I expected. More earthy spicy that you get from a goldings type.

Apart from that, ******* awesome beer, I would throw good coin for a pint of that.

Thanks for the reviews guys, loving the positive feedback received so far!

21 aydos aipa awsome aroma. Nice caramel chewey malt flavour i feel as though it isnt bitter enough maybe too blanced

I thought that too, missing that BAM factor, did you add any gypsum Aydos ?

BPH87 - Schwarzbier
I'm getting faint choc in the aroma, but as I've stated previously I reckon my sense of smell is screwed.

As the beer warms up I'm getting more of that smooth choc flavour. Goes well with some choc brownies.
Choc overload. :)

I'm digging these Schwarz biers. Add it to the list to brew. It's a way down....

Photo for previous post
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1418385651.438970.jpg

Eagleburger- Five Elements

Nice beer, went down really nice. Good bitterness with a nice malt and hops flavour that I found overall pretty balanced which was nice. Cheers mate

tazman1967 said:
I thought that too, missing that BAM factor, did you add any gypsum Aydos ?
Yeah I added 10g of gypsum during the mash, maybe I should have added some to the boil too. Any recommendations?

Add about 150gm of acidulated malt to get the PH down per 21L or thereabouts.

9. Seehuusen - Aussie Summer Saison - Ready to drink now

Tart, a bit of lemon, fruity, flavour, carbonation & appearance are perfect. Nailed it

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1418452569.476401.jpg

11. Angus - Sarcastic Wit.
Nice yeast character on the nose. Very subtle citrus and a delicious tartness on the tongue. Very nose sessionable beer Angus. Well done.

Latest posts

Back