Nsw Xmas Case 2006 - Consumption

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dos's Saison

Another style I've never tried before. This was a very nice beer. Nice light coloured, plenty of carbonation, nice taste.

Thanks

nifty

Gday all
My internet carked it a few weeks back, so I have been going pretty much without, so havent taken good notes on the beers I have tried. Can anyone tell me if Crozdog's beer is a potential bottle bomb or not? I am now in canada, and wont be home till aust day, and would prefer to get a friend to go over to my place and open the bottle for himself rather than have it explode on me before I get back! Sounds like there was only 1 or 2 bottle like that, so fingers crossed.
Anyway DUFF's IPA. This was nice and bitter and really hoppy. PLenty of flavour and aroma, but I seemed to get a grassy note right at the end there. Didnt taste like the usual hops, and I think I have since read you used Mt Hood or something? Anyway, I can see why everybody loves it.
STUSTER's Rye. I dont know what exactly it was about this beer, but I bloody loved it. Only had 4 so far, but this one is a real standout. Alot paler than I was expecting (only other rye beer I have had was dark), but I thought it was excellent.
GOATHERDER's APA - I thought that this was a very well crafted beer, not too big, nor too small, just something ya could drink all night, and still know that you are drinking a very good beer, with enough hop aroma and flavour to make you appreciate it, but not so much as to punch you in the face. Well done.
DOC's Saison. I wasnt sure what to expect of this one (as with most people, I would reckon). I was actually expecting it to be a bit tarter and spicier than it was, but that is not to detract from the beer. I thought it was very well made, and emminently quaffable. The bottle was empty in double time, and I was very sad to see the end of it, and wshed I had some more. Thankfully, I was one of the lucky bastards to get enough viable yeast in the bottom, and the yeast is now sitting in the fridge after consuming a 100mL starter, and will be stepped up when I get home.
If these 4 beers are a good indication of the quality of all the beers in this case, I wish I hadda drunk em all before I came o/s. Top work, thanks for sharing em.
All the best
Trent

Actually
I think I have tried 5
I also drank Kieths Raspberry wheat. I thought it was a great hot weather beer, though I could taste the extract in there (I made several raspberry beers in my extract days, and this was fairly similar, but better than my efforts!). I would probably prefer to see it fermented with straight 1056, rather than 3068, but I loved the colour, and thought the raspberry flavour was spot on. Very nice job, Kieth, thanks for sharing.
Gotta run and pull my Oatmeal stout outta the snow before it gets too cold!
Trent

Keith's Raspberry Wheat

The case for me this year is full of firsts, here is another beer that I've never tried before.

When I first poured this one, my missus (who hates beer) said "ooh, that looks ok" and said something about a berocca as she walked off.

Anyway, this was a very easy drinking beer, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I had no idea what to expect, and was pleasantly surprised by it.

Thanks

nifty

Had a couple more of the case. I'm not sure about your bitter, Thommo. It was certainly a drinkable beer, but I don't think the US56 works that well with a bitter. It seemed to leave the beer a bit on the thin side, a bit of a doughnut beer if you know what I mean. That said, I was happy enough to drink it all up. Probably a good session beer. :D

Also had Duff's IPA. This was some beer. I loved it Duff. A really strong hop aroma, flavour and bitterness but fully balanced by the rich maltiness. I think that it was DC's rye IPA, right? If not, I'd love to see the recipe. I could rave lots more about it, but basically I thought it was perfect. :wub:

Thanks for the great feedback everyone, especially Les and TD for the detail. I'm glad you all liked it. The recipe is in the db.

Doc's Saison

Pours a big fluffy white head which subsides slowly. Pale golden in colour and brilliantly clear, showing off the lively carbonation. The aroma is complex with the dominant one being fruity - citrus I think. The beer is moderately sweet and very soft in the mouth. The fruity flavours come through along with a nice rounded maltiness and just a little bit of spice. The bitterness is just enough to make itself known but not overpowering. There is no sign of any tartness or sourness as can sometimes be expected of the style. The finish is tending towards dry, leaving this a very drinkable beer.

Thanks Doc, this is the perfect beer for me today - I've just spent the day working on the farm and I was very ready for a beer. I wish I had a few more bottles of such a tasty, drinkable beer. Nice work.

Duff's American IPA

Nicely carbonated, this one pours brilliantly clear, deep copper in colour with a tight white head which refuses to go. The nose is a solid smack of hops - plenty of citrus and tropical fruit notes with a lingering sweetness, almost like toffee. There is buckets of hop flavour in this beer. I'm not sure how to explain it, this is the first time i've had a beer this hoppy. It kind of coats your mouth with a resiny kind of feeling and the flavour just keeps on going. I can see what people mean when they say piney. I can detect a bit of malt flavour there but it doesn't really stand a chance. The slight sweetness helps to balance the bitterness and make you want to have another mouthfull. The bitterness is assertive but certainly not over the top. I think the carbonation is spot on for this beer, it helps to break up the very full mouthfeel.

I gave my wife a taste who is normally very good at describing aromas and flavours. Her faced screwed up and her eyes watered - I don't think she'll be tasting dinner tonight. I suspect I may be affected by a degree of lupulin shift, the bitterness didn't bother me much at all.

Cheers for top shelf beer Duff. Again, I've tasted a beer in this case which I have never had before. I can certainly see the attraction of highly hopped beers now I've had a chance to taste one. This was an exceptionally well crafted beer with loads of character and I enjoyed it completely. Would you mind posting the recipe in the DB?

I had Trent's Brown Ale on Christmas Eve. My sister lives in Canada and we have spent a few Christmases over there in the past. This beer is very similar to the beers that they make over there (good for the cold weather!). So anyway, I saved it for Christmas eve (which coincidently was cold in Sydney) as a bit of a tribute to my sister (who had to work in Canada over christmas). It really took me back. I could have almost been in a bar in Calgary sipping on this brew while it snowed outside! Great stuff!

Great beer Trent! I really enjoyed it!

Can anyone tell me if Crozdog's beer is a potential bottle bomb or not? I am now in canada, and wont be home till aust day, and would prefer to get a friend to go over to my place and open the bottle for himself rather than have it explode on me before I get back!

Trent, I think you are talking about Philmac's beer - Gerard advised in this post. I put mine in it's own box in the garage away from the other beers and I haven't had a problem thus far. My garage is somewhat warmish so I reckon Gerads's might have been a once-off. Anyone else had a drama?

mine is still intact ... garage isnt cold , sits about 22-24 degs most of time

No puddles in the garage here as yet.......

Thanks for putting my mind at ease guys, and my apologies to Crozdog for mistaking the beers (it doesnt even SOUND like Philmac!) I am glad that people are liking my beer, and I cannot wait to get home and try some of the others, sounds like nearly all of the offerings are gonna be top shelf.
All the best, and happy tasting
Trent

I had a bit of a session on xmas day drinking these beers along with some of my own and some "essential oils" that friends of the outlaws make, so the impressions of the beers are a bit vague -

n00ch's hefeweizen - nice, pale colour, light flavoured. An easy drinking beer, it was very nice thanks.
Linz's wit beer - an easy drinker, I thought I would knock this over before going on to the porter. Another good beer, thanks.
mikem108's wood aged smokey choc porter - nice, roasty?? flavour, I'm not sure I could taste the smokey wood, but an enjoyable beer, thanks.
Beer Slayer's APA - nice and hoppy and bitter. A very nice drop, thanks.

cheers

nifty

16 - Stephen's - Hoegarden White

A pale gold beer which is sparklingly bright - did you filter this one?. There is a dense white head which settles to 1/2 a finger, fed by the ample carbonation. The aroma is a highlight - lots of fruity esters, spiciness and a little sweetness. The sweetness continues into the taste, followed by a lovely creaminess which coats the mouth with flavour. There is a restrained hop bite towards the finish, complemented by the subtle citrus flavour which just adds to the refreshing qualities. The finish is long and is neither dry nor sweet, just balanced.

Top beer Stephen, thanks for sharing it. That Hoegarden yeast is a cracker, it gives the beer loads of character. I reckon I'll give it a try when I have a go at a wit. The perfect beer for seeing off Warney and Glenn at Melbourne. Cheers.

I had all five of the wits from the two swaps on Boxing Day along with a bottle of Hoegaarden for comparison. From this case, Stephen's Hoe clone was fairly clear. Not a bad thing, just different to the other ones I tried. Tasted really good though and I'd definitely go back for more. Linz's Wit was another fine example. Little blurry on everything regarding this beer, must've been the last one, but I can remember thinking I could drink a few more of these watching the cricket.

Before I finish the bottle, I'm gonna give my impressions of Doc's Saison.

Up front, I'll say that I built this up in my mind to be a very fruity, tropical punch, almost un-beery ale.

Well, the fruit flava is not as I expected, but it's there in quantity and well-balanced. Well done Doc (although I'm sure you don't need my assurances to know that U make great beer).

The aroma reminded me of my weizen (which I consumed before this ale) with its fruity, malty and somewhat gassy, soapy (CO2?) aroma. No soap in the flavour though, but plenty of fruit. I got passionafruit, banana, pineapple, guava and bubblegum. Oh yeah. Malty ale aftertaste, and very balanced bitterness. Wish I had more. Definitely tastes like beer, and a great beer, too.

I have the wyeast Saison, which ferments a little dryer. I say bring it on. 1 batch 4 me, and 1 for Trent's Oz wedding reception. I need to get a new keyboard, as this one keeps spelling Saison with 2 o's.

I gotta brew one soon. Just need to ferment my 4 jerry-canned worts/beers. Dunkelweizen first, then Kolsch, then NNL Sparkling blond, and my HAG Deutsche pils (with massive Mittelfrueh - late addition).

Happy noo Beerz, and good luck to your familiez
Seth :p

P>S> It's good weather in NSW tonight for the #18 weizen. Chuck it in the freezer now and open it at midnight. U won't be disappointed!

Edit: added one apostrophe and an "s". Also changed an apostrophe to a comma,

Happy New Year to all fellow brewers.

I'm very distressed to report that my entry to the case seems to have become infected. As reported earlier I didn't have any to try as I only managed to 'squeeze the 28 bottles out. I had 3 or 4 bottles returned (thanks Gerrard) due to drop outs.

Cracked the first one, strange yeasty (crap homebrew) smell and taste - Yuck.

It was also a lot more gassed than I expected and had quite a bit of yeast at the bottom of the bottle despite this beer being filtered and gassed in kegs prior to bottling (wasn't primed).

Hoped to goodness that it was a one off and cracked a second and third with my brewing mate - bollox! They are all the same. Pretty baffled as we had drunk well over a keg of this beer and it was absolutely fine.

Haven't had an infection in any beers for years although only keg my beers and have never tried bottling from the keg before (what a nightmare that was - over 4 hrs). My feeling is the beer was infected with a natural yeast int he fermenter and it only took hold after being left to warm in the bottle - but only a hunch.

Sincere apologies to all case swappers - I've given you all a dud!!! :(

This was my first case swap so v. embarrassed and disappointed but will try and make up for it with a cracker of an entry in the next one - if I'm allowed a second chance.

Can't wait to get stuck into all your entries and if anyone has an inckling as to what could have sent this beer south so quickly I would love to hear from you.

One very sheepish virgin case swapper - :ph34r:

Shonky

I had your beer the other day, Shonky, and it tasted ok to me..

I thought it was a nice beer.

nifty

Shonky,

Mine was fine mate. I only have one bottle of the case left. All in all I think this years has been one of the best as far as quality goes with some very good brews tasted. I also had no problems with philmac's.

Hopefully they are just a couple of bad ones which you opened.

Thanks to those who have enjoyed my IPA, will post the receipe in the database.

Cheers.

I've had a few more of the case. Doc's Saison was a good beer. Very easy drinking, nice fruity notes, and great yeast which has just got started on a new brew. :D

Crozdog's PhilsAle was another easy drinker. My memory is a bit hazy for some reason ;) but it was a lightly hopped beer, clean, with pleasant, subtle flavours. Nice one, Phil. Perfect for a summer afternoon.

Josh's Sparkling Ale. Caramel and toffee malt aroma. A bit hazy, good head. Balanced, taste of PoR at the end. Medium mouthfeel. A better copy than the real thing IMO. More maltiness and a better aroma. Did you use sugar?

I agree with you, Duff. All the beers I've had so far have been good or better. Good brewing everyone. :super:

Back