Nsw Xmas Case 2006 - Consumption

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Duffs American IPA

Instant hop gratification. Great nose which I guessing is a good dose of late hops, or a handfull of dry hops.
A beer close to my heart, great colour, great balance with huge aroma, flavourness and bitterness.

A+++, move to the top of the case.

Beers,
Doc

PS: Is it based on Denny Conn's RyeIPA as it is close to my version of Denny's recipe.

Put the first 8 or so in the fridge, hmm what to choose.
Saturday night had No1. Duffs American IPA
Very tasty and simlar to a beer I made, is there Chinook in there?

High bitterness alright but balanced by the mouthfeel and malt, carbonation was a little high.

Sunday night was no3 goatherder - APA, big smack of hops nice full rounded malt.

Its so good to have a massive selection of various handcrafted beers on hand, theres really some great brewers out there!

Tried the "control" bottle of my contribution, I'd say its ready to be drunk from now on.

update

1. Duff - American IPA - WLP029 - Ready to drink.
2. Stuster - American Rye- ready to drink - WLP320
3. goatherder - APA, Wyeast 1056, Bottled 11/11. Drink sooner rather than later.
4. Trent - Nut Brown Ale - Ready to Drink. Wyeast 1028.
5. DJR - Klsch - ready to drink. WLP029/US56 mix.
6. Pint of Lager - Dunkel - ready to drink, give it some quiet time - yeast WL800
7. Doc - Saison - ready to drink - WLP565
8. Homebrewworld.com - APA....Bottled 1/12/06, allow for carbonation time then drink it !
9. Chilled
10. Keith - Raspberry Wheat Beer (Kit and Kilo, Wyeast 3068 + US56, Drink Now)
11. n00ch - Hefeweizen - Ready to drink after 15/12/2006 - Wyeast 3942.
12. mikem108-Wood aged Smokey Choc Porter- Nottingham Ale for primary- and muntons gold for bottling- Ready To drink from now on. 11/12/06
13. Beer Slayer- APA Bottled 1/12/06 ready to drink 23/12/06
14. Linz - Belgian Wit bier (like No16)-T-58-Just finished bottling it, so after 14/12/06 get into it !!
15. Shonky - Quaffing Cricket Beer - good to drink now
16. Stephen - Hoegarden White - Will be ready to drink by the time of the swap. Yeast is cultured from Hoegarden Grand Cru. I've used this before and seems to work very well,
17. Hopsta - Brown Porter - Nottingham yeast - Best give it till after 08/12/06 to ensure enough carbonation.
18. Weizguy - Kmas Kase Weizen (Seth Weizen #2) - contains 3rd gen Weizen yeast (W3068). Warner (Classic Beer Series - German Wheat beer) suggests that you serve it at 8-10C. Thought that I might bottle without removing the weizen yeast, this time. Next time, I'll prob bottle with W34/70, after a few weeks of cc'ing. More? Go to my Spruik your Beer thread.
19. Thommo - Bitter, bottled 30/11/2006. Leave it two weeks. - US56
20. Barramundi - Wanna Be Vintage Ale-S04 Yeast ,bottled 11th November should be good to go when the sediment settles again ive tested it and it seems pretty good to me ... but as with most home brews time is always a good thing ..
21. Barry - Munich Dunkel
22. Berto - English Special Bitter, Bottled 29/11, WLP002
23. Nifty- some sort of Old Peculier - Bottled 13/11/06. Can be drunk now, but as it is supposed to be a low end strong ale, it might get better with age. This is the first time I've brewed this baby, so I'm not sure how it will go. - WLP005 used
24. Gerard_M - Something Dark
25. T.D. - Hunter Valley Pale Ale - ready to drink now - US56
26. Josh - Sparkling Ale - ready to drink 22/12 - Coopers Sparkling Ale yeast
27. Philmac - American Brown - leave until at least 21/12 - Wyeast 1056
28. Crozdog - PhilsAle. [/quote]

Duff, I enjoyed your American IPA.

Met all my expectations.

Gorgeous colour, large white head.

Huge hit of Casade like aroma when you stick your beak anywhere near the glass.

Assertive hop flavour and lingering bitternesss.

Yuuuummmmm,

Thanks,

Keith

Cheers Doc, Mike and Keith. The receipe is based on Denny Conn's Rye IPA, but just a little more hops :) It is a combo of Columbus and Mt. Hood, I'll post the receipe when I get home tonight.

Cheers.

Nifty: Let me know when you are ready.

It is a combo of Columbus and Mt. Hood

Cheers.
Blow me down.

I've not used either of those two guys, and I would have sworn that you had used some cluster in there.

Live and learn, too many hops, too many beers to brew - the problems that we have to put up with ;)

Cheers,

Keith

I have cracked my Xmas Case in the last couple of days, and man its off to a bloody great start !

No:1 Duff American IPA: Great example of style, loved it.
: 2 Stuster, American Rye....Top shelf, i have never had one before and this style is now on my hit list !
:4 Trent, Nut Brown Ale......Enjoyed it as it warmed up a little.
:5 DJR, Koelsch....Great Beer mate ! Love the yeast combo on this one....i will try this yeast duo soon.
:7 Doc, Saison.....Loved it Doc ! you have got me thinking why havent i made this style of beer myself?
: 16 Stephen......Hoegarden White.....You are right,the yeast in this beer is great !!! LOVE this beer.
: 26 Josh....Sparkling Ale...Very Coopers indeed ! a nice summer beer round the pool for sure...

If the standard of this case keeps up at this rate, us NSW guys will have to be the best brewers in Oz by far !
:p :beerbang:

Cheers

Hello all,

I still haven't cracked my first xmas case beer yet, but will be very soon. Duff's IPA will probably be first off the rank. Having tried one of his APAs on the weekend I am quietly confident I am going to like it!

Can I ask, if you are willing to part with your brewing secrets, could everybody post their recipes in the ahb database?

Cheers :beer:

:5 DJR, Koelsch....Great Beer mate ! Love the yeast combo on this one....i will try this yeast duo soon.

Cheers for that, i must say that the US56 didn't do much - only added it at about 1014 SG to get some more attenuation since it wasn't moving much. So it's mainly WLP029. That said if you culture up the yeast it will mainly be WLP029 which should be fine for a good general purpose clean ale yeast, just so happens it is also works well in Kolsch :lol:

Hello all,

I still haven't cracked my first xmas case beer yet, but will be very soon. Duff's IPA will probably be first off the rank. Having tried one of his APAs on the weekend I am quietly confident I am going to like it!

Can I ask, if you are willing to part with your brewing secrets, could everybody post their recipes in the ahb database?

Cheers :beer:

Mine's up - Xmas Koelsch... enjoy! Devo has already used the malt bill for a Kolsch and liked it, so go get cracking on the mash paddle recipes guys!

still to take the plunge on anyones beer yet figure ill let them sit for a week , although i did have a go at one of my own that i got back just to see how it turned out , im happy i hope everyone else is too...

My weizen is as ready as you are, unless U like 'em real fizzy.

I'll be tasting a Eurostubbie of SethWeizen on Friday. Join me if U dare. C'mon, I need at least one volunteer.
Keith,... on Saturday?
Doc? What if I give you an extra Eurostubbie?
Stuster? I know you're up 4 it.

I'll be posting after the tasting. Maybe late Saturday?

luv that banana/ isoamyl acetate aroma.

Seth/Weizen out

I'll be tasting a Eurostubbie of SethWeizen on Friday. Join me if U dare. C'mon, I need at least one volunteer.
Keith,... on Saturday?

Seth/Weizen out

Surprisingly you are right, Lesseth. I'm up for it. Weizguy's weizen for Friday drinks. What could be better? :super:

DJR's kolsch

Fruity, lightly malty aroma. Tall, fluffy head with great head retention. Golden colour. Fruity flavour. Slightly overcarbonated. A clean beer with light body to style, but a little residual sweetness. It probably needs slightly more attenuation but this is a very drinkable beer. :chug:

Keith,... on Saturday?

Seth/Weizen out

Sounds good to me Seth.

Saturday, after work, a trip to sunny Medowie; what more could a beer drinker want. Count me in.

Perhaps we could share a couple, or dare I say a few, christmas case contributions?

Cheers,

Keith

I have cracked my Xmas Case in the last couple of days, and man its off to a bloody great start !

: 26 Josh....Sparkling Ale...Very Coopers indeed ! a nice summer beer round the pool for sure...

Great to hear. How was the carbonation? I only just bottled them before the cut off date.

Yeah, all good Josh!
Carbonation was there !
I have had the case stored in the garage at ambient temp to make sure they get a chance to carbonate, and when i want a beer i put it in the freezer for a fast chill!
So yeah, the freezer is getting a work-out ! :p

Sipping on Duff's AIPA now. Bloody nice. Seems to have quite high carbonation (I over-did the head a bit when I poured it) but I wouldn't say its anywhere near "over"carbonated. Huge hoppiness, love it. Bitterness is big too but big in a good way. Colour is a nice solid red, and its crystal clear (who ever said no chiller yielded cloudy beers???!!!).

Top stuff Duff. Really nice drop.

DJR's Kolsch

Pours a pale golden colour with some chill haze which fades to an almost brilliant clarity as the beer warms. The carbonation is lively and throws a good size head which disappears fairly quickly. There is a very nice light fruit aroma in behind the hops. The beer tastes very clean with some nice background malt flavour. There is a little residual sweetness there but the bitterness is there to balance it out. The carbonation is quite high, perhaps a bit too high. The mouthfeel doesn't have the dryness that I've tasted in other Kolschs but it certainly isn't unpleasant.

Bloody nice beer thanks DJR, that yeast combo is a winner. I've only had a couple examples of a Kolsch before and this compares very well with them. Nice one.

now that i have the when to drink list printed time to go sort and chill some of these beers for weekend drinking ...

Back