VIC 2016 Xmas in July Case Swap - TASTING

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
9. VP's dark IPA

Aroma
Well I knew I was getting an IPA nice floral notes but probably easing off as note by others and the brewer.

Appearance

Good and dark nice light tan head that died off slowly. I know as home brewers we have beers that have head to the bottom of the glass, but very few big commercials ever attain this, this beer had that residual mm of froth to the last drop and laced the glass.

Taste

For me initially strong bitterness up front but as it warms slightly and the alcohol takes affect it mellows. Again initially the late roast flavour is more than I would expect but imparts almost a spiciness, slightly warmer again this seems to mellow. The finish of this beer could have been(probably was fresh) brighter, but still leaves a clean taste.

Overall

I like it. I've only done 2 dark IPA's my self the first brilliant the second dismal. I always ask myself if I would be happy to have handed money over three foot of mahogany. And would I do so again. Probably yes on both counts, but if it wasn't ontap at the local I wouldn't travel 100k's for it, for that the roast needs to calm and may a fresh sample could tist my arm.

Top beer love ya work!

Ed. Typo

Catching-up on a few I've tried over this week:

Precursor- I gave up on judging about 20 years ago after a traumatic experience involving trying to judge 120 pale ales (& IPA's) in a single day. That's why I now Steward....

My palate is still good, but being a smoker, I tend to miss some of the subtleties in some beers. I now look at initial impression: "would/could I drink a full glass of this", followed by "did I finish the glass & how did I enjoy it?".

10. Grainer's Vienella Saison - Sorry, mate. This one was an immediate & definite "No". The one you gave me at the warehouse was too full-bodied for a saison when I initially tried it & it's now as dry as a Nun's naughty-bits. It went down the sink after a couple of sips. Completely lacking in anything redeeming. Not up to your usual standard. I know it was your submission for the SMASH challenge, so you were between a rock & a hard place.

11. Reardo's Summer Ale - I didn't get the Apricots that some have experienced (a good thing, since I absolutely loathe apricots), but nonetheless a pleasant fruity nose. Dry up-front on every sip. Robust but not overpowering bitterness. Clean & very drinkable all the way to the bottom of the glass with absolutely magnificent lacing all the way down. I'd quite happily have a lot of these on a hot summer's day (pardon the obvious pun).

16. JB's Amber AIPA - Yeah, as other's have noted, low on carb. I just gave it a syringe-job & it was fine. Nice robust bitterness & malt all the way to the end. I liked it.

9. VP's Black IPA - I did this one & JB's AIPA in one night, so everything got a bit "wonky" towards the end... I got the dark-malts up-front, so I'm not sure why others didn't pick it straight away. Definitely long in the tooth as far as hop-character is concerned, but you'd already telegraphed that, so I wasn't in any way disappointed. MAN! That is deceptively easy to drink at 7.5%!!!

20. mmmyummybeer's U'flecku- clone. I've now tried 3-4 folk's different fermentations of this one we did with Bandicoot & I reckon all of them are all too-much malt-driven & lacking in hop-character (for a Czech) & over-done on the dark-stuff. I honestly think we misjudged the efficiencies gained from using their professional system.

If I was to do it again, I'd back-off on the carafa &/or add it late to the mash (10-15 minutes prior to run-off) & riotously bang-up the late-hopping rate, with some aroma addition.

22. The Wiggman -Patersbier. This, for me, has been THE stand-out so far. Superb! EXACTLY what I was expecting from a second-runnings beer from a big Belgian.

It's inspired me to make a suggestion for the Xmas swap brew(s).

Much appreciated Martin. My 'stellar' remark was tongue-in-cheek but nevertheless I do like that beer. Single malt, 2 hop additions and some consideration of ferment. With some love and attention, beers don't need to be complex to hit the mark. Glad you enjoyed it. Now the important stuff...
16. JB - Amber IPA
Soft to squeeze, carbed as the others say. Solid IPA aroma which smells dark amongst the pine needles. To taste I'm getting more a citrus edge to the hops and the bitterness is up front dancing with the crystal-like flavours. Come to think of it it's the first Amber IPA I think I've had, but I've done an amber myself at 5.6% so not far removed. Correct me if I'm wrong here but was plain tap water used? I feel like there's a flavour hanging around in the background which reminds me of tap water. Or perhaps it's a leaning towards roasty bitterness with a bit more hop flavour desired. Still it's quite an enjoyable beer. The aroma particularly.

MartinOC said:
20. mmmyummybeer's U'flecku- clone. I've now tried 3-4 folk's different fermentations of this one we did with Bandicoot & I reckon all of them are all too-much malt-driven & lacking in hop-character (for a Czech) & over-done on the dark-stuff. I honestly think we misjudged the efficiencies gained from using their professional system.

If I was to do it again, I'd back-off on the carafa &/or add it late to the mash (10-15 minutes prior to run-off) & riotously bang-up the late-hopping rate, with some aroma addition.
I haven't tried Tracey's version of this, but I think your expectations are not aligned with the style. It is a malt driven lager, it is not a dark pilsner. not to say that your proposed changes wouldn't be delicious. From the latest BJCP style guide:

Medium to medium-high deep, complex maltiness dominates, typically with malty-rich Maillard products and a light to moderate residual malt sweetness. Malt flavors such as caramel, toast, nuts, licorice, dried dark fruit, chocolate and coffee may also be present, with very low to moderate roast character. Spicy hop flavor can be moderately-low to none. Hop bitterness may be moderate to medium-low but should be perceptible.

Grant,

Without wanting to get into stylistic arguments, this one is PRECICELY a dark pilsner, NOT a munich dunkel. It defies style guidelines.

Hops, hops & more hops.....

Followed the Amber IPA with a pale ale of my own and it tastes almost perfumey in comparison. What hops did you use JB? 'Cause that pine aroma is kicking goals.

MartinOC said:
Grant,

Without wanting to get into stylistic arguments, this one is PRECICELY a dark pilsner, NOT a munich dunkel. It defies style guidelines.

Hops, hops & more hops.....
Ermm, the 'Dark Czech Lager' style in the latest 2015 BJCP style guidelines uses the U Fleku as the archetypical example of the style. The BJCP has finally recognised this type.

Black n Tan said:
Ermm, the 'Dark Czech Lager' style in the latest 2015 BJCP style guidelines uses the U Fleku as the archetypical example of the style. The BJCP has finally recognised this type.
I apologise. I'm going to have to go back & have a look - I was unaware of that. Thanks for the education.

I still reckon it needs more hops.... ;)

I'm not going to pass judgement as I'm not qualified to do so, but boy there has been some flavour in the many beers I've had so far from the swap. Many that may not pass BJCP assessment, but I'd drink them none the less. Really glad there was some variables in the swap as I've not really been disappointed by any non-Stout yet (only had two so far and not to say the Stouts have been bad, just a lot to take in). I'm just glad I wasn't the only one that had carbonation problems, I think we need a topic for most of us to learn how to bottle a beer and maintain carbonation. I rarely bottle and have keg-carbed to bottle for the swap, but for some reason I really missed the mark this time and there was some significant flavour problems too (bitterness ratio was out, a slight astringency which I don't know why and I'd certainly change the yeast out from a dry to a liquid ESB yeast next time).

TheWiggman said:
16. JB - Amber IPA
Soft to squeeze, carbed as the others say. Solid IPA aroma which smells dark amongst the pine needles. To taste I'm getting more a citrus edge to the hops and the bitterness is up front dancing with the crystal-like flavours. Come to think of it it's the first Amber IPA I think I've had, but I've done an amber myself at 5.6% so not far removed. Correct me if I'm wrong here but was plain tap water used? I feel like there's a flavour hanging around in the background which reminds me of tap water. Or perhaps it's a leaning towards roasty bitterness with a bit more hop flavour desired. Still it's quite an enjoyable beer. The aroma particularly.
Thanks for your review Mr Wiggy. You're getting warm, there is a touch of roast in the mix - to play nice with the Caraaroma. The hop schedule went like this:

20g Magnum Pellet FWH @ 90m
25g Citra @ 5m
25g Simcoe @ 5m
25g Citra @ whirlpool
25g Simcoe @ whirlpool
60g Citra @ dry hop
100g Simcoe @ dry hop

Cheers

Gday Heyhey. I tried your ESB on the weekend, the first thing that stood out to me was that it didn't taste like an ESB at all to me? However, it was a very nice beer to drink. Tasted more like a pale ale with a fruity/peachy aftertaste. What yeast did you use ?

Good to know JB, thanks. I rarely dry hop and when I do nowhere near those levels (mainly a tightarse thing) which explains how I haven't got that kind of characters in my beers. Though in saying that, I've never had a real crack at an IPA. Also haven't used Simcoe or Citra before. These will definitely be on my 'to use' list. The wonders of swaps huh?

Am I an alcoholic?

4. AJ80 - oatmeal stout
Piss-poor weather today. Cold, windy with occasional rain and generally nothing you can do outside except for getting pissed off. A stout was on the cards. I grabbed this straight of the shelf because I like to live on the wild side.
Pours and looks like a stout. Smells like a stout, no green apples at all. There's a funny aroma about it but I think it's from my glass. Taste-wise it's a different story. Comes across as a textbook dry stout without the Guinness sour frills but theres some stuff hiding in the aftertaste - dark chocolate and coffee come to mind. A hint of the 'oatmeal' present in the mouthfeel and between the teeth. From your other post AJ you said the FG was 1.012 but to be honest it tastes like it's sub ten. Reminds me a lot of the 4 Pines but straighter and less hoppy.
I agree, it could have a bit more roast. Could also have more English hops, more oats, some coffee, up the chocolate blah blah blah but I think it's fine how it is. I can't tell you if it hits the style guidelines but I'd be happy to drink this any day of the week.

Curly79 said:
Gday Heyhey. I tried your ESB on the weekend, the first thing that stood out to me was that it didn't taste like an ESB at all to me? However, it was a very nice beer to drink. Tasted more like a pale ale with a fruity/peachy aftertaste. What yeast did you use ?
I usually use a London ESB Wyeast but couldn't get hold of any or any ESB variant from Cheeky Peak at the time. My notes were ruined during the clean up, but from memory it might have been a US04 or some other dry yeast that the LHBS in Shepp had. I don't really like it, won't brew it again, so no need for those notes haha

AJ's oatmeal stout.

Same as Wigman - shitty day - stout about.

This is my first review, ever. I'm not one to speak on technical terms yet, simply because it's not one of my strengths.

What I will say is that it was very tasty. The head retention was mid-low. It was a little dryer than I thought it would be. I expected it to be bitter but it suited my taste preference nicely. I didn't get too much aroma upon pouring but it was there.

I got a hint of Choc, and like a couple of others said, not an overload of roastiness, which I prefer.

I certainly enjoyed this beer. Top stuff AJ

JB said:
Thanks for your review Mr Wiggy. You're getting warm, there is a touch of roast in the mix - to play nice with the Caraaroma. The hop schedule went like this:

20g Magnum Pellet FWH @ 90m
25g Citra @ 5m
25g Simcoe @ 5m
25g Citra @ whirlpool
25g Simcoe @ whirlpool
60g Citra @ dry hop
100g Simcoe @ dry hop

Cheers
Ummm, probably pretty important to add that this was a double batch, so not too extreme :huh:

Cheers for the reviews on the oatmeal stout over the past couple of days gents. Appreciate it. Good to see a good number of reviews on everyone's beers coming through too. I'm all of 1 bottle into the swap beers so far so will have to get a wriggle on!

DJ_L3thal - the yeast used for the stout was WY1084 and it would have been fermented at 19-20C. It's a super clean yeast, drops very clear and is one of my personal favourites. Love that yeast!

9. VP's Black IPA

Delicious. This beer is exactly why I like hoppy beers. Would have loved to have tried it fresh, but it is still holding up very well. Seriously smooth carbonation and just as smooth bitterness. Only minimal roast and lots of hop aroma/flavour. I disagree with the style guidlines on black IPAs and I quite enjoy noticeable roast in them. Very well brewed and thank you for sharing.

Back