VIC 2016 Xmas in July Case Swap - TASTING

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TheWiggman said:
21. tharn - American Stout
I cracked this open, took a whiff and was struck by the diacetyl fairy. Roast character was trying to bust through. I actually have an American stout kegged - my first go at one- so for interest's sake compared the two. Thearn's on the right.
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1470645627.686764.jpg
Glorious coffee coloured head, very alluring. Head rises then flattens, but persists. Blacker than Charlie Murphy. To taste though it's hard to ignore the diacetyl. VERY roasty and bitter, I'd say more from the malt than hops. Almost acrid - think charcoal-roasted coffee. What separates it with mine is the absence of US hops, almost certainly a result of the diacetyl. A shame because I love really roasty stouts and this has the calling cards for it. Sadly gotta battle through it, a lesser beer I would not give such a gesture.
wow..I wouldn't say that publicly.. you may get shunned for all eternity ! LMAO... good work for actually telling it as it is.. it only helps the brewer.. even if it is just one bottle...Im am like about 15 comps in a row (bloody missed westage stout this year tho...) judging but still get questioned on the validity of my feedback! Will have to put this one on the list to try.. although it "may be" flawed..these are some of the best beers to try to get used to looking for beer faults if it does have diacetyl..and can only improve peoples experience in brewing and learning what to look for.. there is always a positive spin on this experience.

Yeah I went back and saw DJ enjoyed his so don't know how mine could be different. I also had an 'episode' a few years back where a friend fermented a bitter I brewed at 17 using WLP005 then bottled after 7 days, storing the bottles somewhere in his cold house over an Orange winter. They were diacetyl BOMBS. Since then I really pick up on it and am probably overly sensitive/sooky.
Conversely I prefer overly roasty bitter stouts to the smooth type, and thearn's had plenty of roasty goodness. This might shun stylists but gets the tick from me.
I'd be after some others' feedback on this beer to see if it was all in my head, I've been wrong before.

Hey Wiggs ill throw mine in the fridge and try tomoz to let you know if it was just urs

I recently picked up my bedding that I left at Waynes and included in the bundle was a couple of left over bits of clothing

Case Swap Jackets.jpg

1 blue fluffy coat

and one tattered brown hoodie

belong to anyone?

Haha, they're mine, they were left at the door, not in Yob's bed! I got no idea how they got there!

If you can pop them aside mate I'll PM you when I can rock on over.

Cheers
JB

Wow .. They all say that ? ......
" I got no idea how they got there ! That choc port & cherry stout combo has some explaining to do [emoji523][emoji514]

21. thearn - American Stout - Bottled at the end of May so is ready to drink. Give it some more time if you like.

Sorry no Dactyl in mine from what I can smell - No butter at all.... good thing I am verging on a cold too.. but wifey smelt it too and nope.. I get a whole heap of chocolate roasted malt. The chocolate is huge in this one..I accidentally froze this one a little so review is with a bit of an ice head atm... Nice bitterness. Descent mouth feel. Overall I am happy with my bottle. Now I wish I had have waited not his one and aged it a bit more to mellow out the flavours and bitterness as it is quite ROASTY .. almost too much that is doesn't balance with the chocolate aroma. This is a full favoured beer somewhat expected from an American stout.

Intriguing...
I kept the second half in the fridge and just went back for a whiff and yep, still what I would describe as diacetyl. Yet you say it is quite roasty, which is exactly what I said. The wonder of tastebuds huh?

If John's bottle was extra cold, could that affect the detection of diacetyl, *if* there is any there?

Otherwise, yeah, each person detects different stuff to different levels. Makes comparing/judging beers kinda entertaining!

21. Thearn American stout.

After the discussion above, I thought I'd have a go at this one. Ambient Kinglake temperature (cellar-temps).

No diacetyl that I can detect on the nose.

Lovely thick tan head on it.

Definitely very-much chocolate/roast, rather than bitterness & no obvious hop flavour. Chocolate is really rather nice...

When it gets in your mouth 1st-up, it's immediately malt-sweet. Rather than disappearing quickly, it kinda hangs-around whilst the roastiness slowly takes-over your palate, leaving a pleasingly intense dry finish (but not bone-dry). Chocolate & roast are very well-done in balance in the finish.

I like it!

This is one for sitting beside the fire in winter with a good book (which is what I'm currently doing), sipping slowly & savouring each mouthful.

Nice one!!

TheWiggman - Patersbier

Friggen delicious drop mate. Ultimate session beer and can understand why the monks would brew this for their table.

Sweet, bready and peppery on the nose. Golden straw with a very slight haze to it. Not much head retention, but what's there is lacing the glass nicely. Full mouthfeel and tastes great. Thanks for sharing.

5. Grainer - Spare parts stout on bourbon
I put this in the freezer a few days back based, forgot what it was tonight. Poured thick and black with a dark tan head, oddly some white flecks floating on the surface. The smell didn't give too much away, has an English nod and some 'blackness'. The first sip though nearly knocked me back, far stronger than the aroma implied with roasty dominance and very bitter. I don't know how strong this is but I'm thinking >9%. Strong dark caramel/caramalt on the palate, bitterness hangs around in the aftertaste and is very bold indeed. My kind of stout, ballsy and no nonsense. Not for everyone and wouldn't suit in the hot summer sun, best sipped slowly ideally not a full longneck on a Tuesday night when you have a shutdown and 5AM start tomorrow.

Ed: incidentally goes very well with chocolate ice cream

Should note that the 'freezer' mentioned is a temp controlled one for my kegs. Though given the balls this had putting it in a freezer probably wouldn't have changed it to a solid state.

11. Reardo - My take on a Mountain Goat Summer Ale

Just delightful mate. Very pleasant fruity aroma which continues in the flavour. Thin tight head that is lacing the glass and a soft carbonation. Bready malt and a nice dry finish. Would be very happy if I had of paid for this - great session beer.

19. Midnight Brew's Dry Stout.

It took me a few mouthfuls to get used to this, as the body is quite thin for a "classic", but apart from that, a nice, clean dry stout that I'd quite happily have a session on. Nice one!

12. Heyhey's ESB.

Nice colour & carb is a bit high for the style. Fruity nose & I'm definitely getting acetaldehyde. Not much in the way of hops.

Immediately dry up-front (which was a bit of a shock) & body is medium, where I'd expect a full up-front maltiness with a decent burst of hop flavour that drifts-off slowly.

If I paid for this, would I order another? Probably not. It's becoming a bit of a struggle...

Back