VIC 2016 Xmas in July Case Swap - TASTING

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
21. thearn - American stout

'Tis certainly a stout! Robust, roasty and damn tasty. Very clean ferment. Not getting any American hops, but still very enjoyable on a cold night in front of the fire. Thanks for sharing.

TheWiggman said:
Now it's coming back to me. ... and hazily remember you and Curly saying "hey Wiggman, keen to grab some extras?" I said yeah but feel a bit guilty, response was something like "well if you don't grab 1 or 2 some other drunk prick will take them all". ...
How hazy is your recollection? - You sure that was John? Or maybe both of us simply thought/said the same thing ;) .

TheWiggman said:
13. Masters - Belgian Double
... you can tell it's not a Light Ice. ....
A very important yardstick :lol:

Hazy alright, "some tall bloke with a beard" would have been more apt. Chalking down John's name for the next swap... (still laughing at the light ice remark)
Finished the dubbel 15 mins ago, a bit over 2h not bad :drinks:

9. VP Brewing -black IPA

Silky black pour and in appearance. Aroma is dank and pine. Upfront the bitterness doesn't dominate I get more sweet malt flavours and a tiny amount of roast which then fades into bitterness and warmth of alcohol. I love mouthfeel as its not puckering bitterness to me it's refreshing. I don't get a lot of hop flavour from this, I get a little malt but mainly alcohol with the beer still remaining smooth. Man this would have been awesome fresh, sorry I missed that boat.

Good work on making it so smooth for 7.5%
Cheers

having a quiet sunday sip watching the pies

wayne ...love the oaty stout ..certainly deserves # 1
lovely flavours ..not overly carbed noice drop ..top job

Did enjoy the patersbier wiggy ... clean refreshing good carb

I did try my take on an esb ... ok sorta ..good carb ..flavor is muddled I think
other wise back to drawing board with this .

technobabble66 said:
How hazy is your recollection? - You sure that was John? Or maybe both of us simply thought/said the same thing ;) .

A very important yardstick :lol:
I got a passing comment.. thats way to much for me ..please take a few bottles .. I only saw one beer I wanted so I grabbed another of Curlys!

16. JB AIPA

Deep copper hue, little head due to lower carbonation (spot on for me, I like em carbed low). Pumped with a syringe and boom! Nice thick dense head that's in no hurry. Pine in the aroma is prominant with this little fruity/sweet character coming through. Bitterness is smooth, easy going and lets the malt character come through. For me it goes smooth bitterness, malt and sweet character then back into bitterness. Very well made. Overall I love this beer mate, cant stop sipping it and as I put the glass down I want more. So what its not your face puckering ice cold served IPA that does the rounds in Melbourne bars. Id much rather pay and drink a beverage like this that has all the elements aligned. (flame suit on for IPA police)

Great beer mate, shame I only have one bottle.

Curious as to how you carbed it (method and amount)? I've made a few brews now where I actually add no priming sugar and they come out carbed a little lower then yours, they get a hit with the syringe but Im just addicted to them at the moment.

Grainer said:
18. Curly79. Chocolate and Rum Oatmeal Stout. 6%. Ready to drink after 1st of September.

Im gunna say this again Curly and reiterate it even more...
SWAP BEER CHAMPION.. LOVING IT.. This for me is the stand out beer. It is exactly what it claims to be! The rum works ..not a fan of rum but I am loving this combination.. enough said.. good work.. it possibly has some improvements overall if I was to brew this myself in mouthfeel and aroma..but LOVING IT! SO fuking glad I took 2 bottles home boohahahhaha :beerbang:
Hey John out of curiosity was your bottle high carb? I've just cracked mine open and it's a gusher, wondering if it's just mine...

TheWiggman said:
Hey John out of curiosity was your bottle high carb? I've just cracked mine open and it's a gusher, wondering if it's just mine...
No mine was PERFECT!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1472551145.543911.jpg
Bung bottle I think. Stooged again!
Tight, tight bottle (as I queried in an earlier post) which gushed on opening. Has a familiar infection smell and taste that I've encountered before. BUT it's not a complete write off, just not the wonder beer it might have been. Still drinkable and the off flavour becomes less noticeable. No point commenting further, sorry man.

TheWiggman said:
attachicon.gif
Tight, tight bottle (as I queried in an earlier post) which gushed on opening. Has a familiar infection smell and taste that I've encountered before. BUT it's not a complete write off, just not the wonder beer it might have been. Still drinkable and the off flavour becomes less noticeable. No point commenting further, sorry man.
Fuk yeah.. looks like I got a good bottle.. guess the next one will be the test !

TheWiggman said:
attachicon.gif
Bugger. Sorry Wiggman. I don't have any left to try out. The few I had left that I didn't swap were okay. I wasn't sure how this one would go as it's one of the first stouts I've made. Glad you liked it Grainer[emoji106].

Midnight Brew said:
20. Mmmyummybeer - U-Flecku

Pours dark, full carbonation and thick. Aroma is roasty but clean, clean as in clear malt character. Flavour is a little more roast orientated then the cube I've fermented, in a good way. I used Wy Danish Lager and had a much more clean but malty without the roast elements. Curious as to the yeast used. Mouthfeel is perfect for me and I usually like the lower carb styles so I'm a bit surprised. I finished the bottle pretty quick, due to familaraty and enjoyment.

Was awesome to try an alternative ferment on this. Thanks Tracey and Bruce.
Glad you liked it, I fermented it with wyeast Scottish ale 1728.

Cheers

21. thearn - American stout

Thick tan head that leaves a great tan lacing down the glass. Roasty and toasted elements with a real dark chocolate emphasis. Mouthfeel is smooth with firm but clean bitterness to backup the roast. Thearn, you've really tied in this beer well and although I don't get an American feel from it I do love it regardless. Awesome stout mate and thanks for sharing.

Midnight Brew said:
16. JB AIPA

Deep copper hue, little head due to lower carbonation (spot on for me, I like em carbed low). Pumped with a syringe and boom! Nice thick dense head that's in no hurry. Pine in the aroma is prominant with this little fruity/sweet character coming through. Bitterness is smooth, easy going and lets the malt character come through. For me it goes smooth bitterness, malt and sweet character then back into bitterness. Very well made. Overall I love this beer mate, cant stop sipping it and as I put the glass down I want more. So what its not your face puckering ice cold served IPA that does the rounds in Melbourne bars. Id much rather pay and drink a beverage like this that has all the elements aligned. (flame suit on for IPA police)

Curious as to how you carbed it (method and amount)? I've made a few brews now where I actually add no priming sugar and they come out carbed a little lower then yours, they get a hit with the syringe but Im just addicted to them at the moment.
I don't understand the "Pumped with a syringe and boom! " what is this and why do it.

malt junkie said:
Doing so agitates the beer, and gives a semi hand pump effect.
So you just pump an empty syringe of air into a low carb beer ?

Midnight Brew said:
16. JB AIPA

Great stuff Cam, very happy you enjoyed this one mate.

For bittering I went all FWH to smooth out the bitterness
The low carb was due to bottling from a force carbed keg via a carb cap - left it too late. The keg hadn't balanced out properly so carb was much lower than projected. I've had good success bottling from keg previously, but only after the keg had been sitting at serving pressure for a couple of weeks. Lesson learned.

Back