VIC 2016 Xmas in July Case Swap - TASTING

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MartinOC said:
8. Mofox's ICBM.

In a word: GLORIOUS!!

I'll reiterate everything I said about Thearn's jobbie. Up-front malty-sweet with roast & chocolate overtones. Bitterness is just right & in balance with the roast.

Mid-palate, I'm trying to scavenge everything in my mouth just to keep that intensity going....& the dense head is making mouthful-sized rings on the way down the glass.

The finish is a beautifully intense dry roast/chocolate & BOY, does it have a nice warming alcohol hit!! I think I'm going to need a nice lie-down after this one.... :)

Everything is right with this one & in just the right proportions & intensity from start to finish.

Beautiful job, mate. :super:

Edit: I hope you've got this one in Vicbrew - it's a definite contender!
birthday drinks and have to agree with above I'd buy me a second.... if SWMBO wasn't looking.

Tip don't drink 13,1,and 5 in a quick session ... go on ask me how long I was in the dog house. All good not had a bad beer. Cheers lads!

4 AJ's Oatmeal Stout

Black and velvety with some nice fruity esters on the nose and hints of roast. Head that continues down the glass and so darn smooth! I can't pick the oat in flavour, but the body difference is noticeable. Loving this beer so much mate, I'd love to see the recipe and have a go at an oat stout myself. I could see myself drinking this year round, amazing beer mate.

15. Micbrew - 2 n from special bitter
View attachment 91108
Another tight bottle. Cracked it, "psh", and again a gusher. Quickly poured it into the glass 2/3 full as the rest was head. "Not another dodgy bottle for the Wiggman, surely". I had a good whiff and there was no mistaking that this was an English beer. Caramel, crystal malts and dare I say diacetyl on the nose. Cries to be sniffed more. English hops pleasantly compliment the mild fruity malt notes. Sipped and fortunately it was only over carbed. A solid bitter with assertive bitterness, dark crystal dominating and almost a smokiness about it. Lingers on the palate, and an ever-so-slight bite of diacetyl compliments the beer and rounds it off well as a truely English ale. I think this could do without carb altogether served off a hand pump. Sadly the high carbonation detracts from the experience, but still a fine experience.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1472880804.002794.jpg
Photo wouldn't attach to the above post.

Midnight Brew said:
4 AJ's Oatmeal Stout

Black and velvety with some nice fruity esters on the nose and hints of roast. Head that continues down the glass and so darn smooth! I can't pick the oat in flavour, but the body difference is noticeable. Loving this beer so much mate, I'd love to see the recipe and have a go at an oat stout myself. I could see myself drinking this year round, amazing beer mate.
Thanks mate - really chuffed you enjoyed the beer. I usually only brew one stout a year now and find it very hard to not make it an oatmeal one (or RIS...). recipe as follows:

OG: 1.052
FG: 1.012
IBUs: 39

Grist:
69.47% Maris otter
9.47% flaked oats (I used quick oats)
9.47% wheat malt
7.37% roasted barley
4.21% pale chocolate

Single infusion mash at 66C for 60 mins

60 minute boil with a single addition of horizon (11.2% AA) at 1.2 g/L at 60mins.

Fermented with WY1084 at 20C.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1473489436.228154.jpg
3. technobabble - Old Peculiar clone
Not sure what to make of this, I thought I'd picked up Mofox's stout. I immediately wondered what the fuss was about because this is nothing like a stout. Very light aroma with some faint 'something' that reminds me of Notto. It pours very dark and up against light has a deep amber hue. Moderate and appropriate carb. Taste wise it's intriguing - very mild, nothing screaming out but tastes alcoholic. Reminds me of and old ale but needs more toffee, caramel and malt for my liking. Very dry. Could be speaking from my arse, but I'd ferment higher or use a more distinctive English yeast to push some of those characteristic flavours more.
As for being an old Old Peculiar clone, I've only had one a while ago and this doesn't remind me much of it. That said, I'm didn't know what all the fuss was about so chances are I don't know a good beer when I see it. Might bust out some Mersey Valley to see how well it pairs...

MartinOC said:
8. Mofox's ICBM.

In a word: GLORIOUS!!

I'll reiterate everything I said about Thearn's jobbie. Up-front malty-sweet with roast & chocolate overtones. Bitterness is just right & in balance with the roast.

Mid-palate, I'm trying to scavenge everything in my mouth just to keep that intensity going....& the dense head is making mouthful-sized rings on the way down the glass.

The finish is a beautifully intense dry roast/chocolate & BOY, does it have a nice warming alcohol hit!! I think I'm going to need a nice lie-down after this one.... :)

Everything is right with this one & in just the right proportions & intensity from start to finish.

Beautiful job, mate. :super:

Edit: I hope you've got this one in Vicbrew - it's a definite contender!

I have to agree here, this pretty much sums up my experience and I couldn't put it better myself. The only thing I'll add is I love the fruity esters on the nose.

Well done mate!

19. Midnight Brew (non attending) - Dry Irish Stout

Dry, roasty and oh so creamy with the low carb. Ripping beer to enjoy during a cold brew night in the shed. Thanks for sharing and any chance of the recipe??

Thanks wiggas!
Yeah it's an interesting result & I'm not sure what to make of it either.
I'm surprised you didn't get more ("light") caramel notes. I did a large caramelisation reduction and with the EKG found it to actually pop out too much - though a lighter caramel rather than the deeper caramel that I think would be more appropriate. Maybe it's faded rapidly?
The yeast used was 1469 but I had to ferment it at ~16*c as it was blowing out of the top of the fermenter regularly, so it might not have the full impact I wanted. It was hopefully going to produce fruity cherry notes but still I'm struggling to pick it. I thought there's "something" but, like you, not sure what. Fwiw, it might take a while to develop some of those elements. Testing small samples every couple of weeks over the last few months has shown it's improved a fair bit in the last month, so maybe another month or 2 would lead to awesomeness?
Colour's def a bit lighter than intended.
Not exactly a clone, but I think closer than some I've done. Still needs a fair bit of tweaking in that department.
And def would be a bit odd if you were expecting a stout! [emoji6]
Thanks v much for your review. It's great to see what more neutral tastebuds make of this one.

For the others, might be worthwhile leaving mine for another month or 2. Unless your curiosity gets the better of you [emoji57]

Neutral tastebuds?! I'm on antibiotics from tonsillitis (again) so tastebuds may be off. I was definitely getting crystal, wouldn't describe it as caramel. That said when I did my old ale ~16 months ago it was pretty bland and reeked of crystal malts for the first 6-10 months, and only after a year did it really shine. Perhaps this is one of those beers. Did it end up at 5.6% ABV?
Yeast-wise the Yorkshire Bitter I brewed which I had at the swap was - shock! - 1469. I found this had a lot more 'English' character in combination with the MO and I did it at 18°C. Horses for courses though, one man's lambic is another man's pilsner.

AJ80 said:
19. Midnight Brew (non attending) - Dry Irish Stout

Dry, roasty and oh so creamy with the low carb. Ripping beer to enjoy during a cold brew night in the shed. Thanks for sharing and any chance of the recipe??
Glad you enjoyed it mate, Cheers

DIS (Dry Irish Stout)
70% TFFM Maris Otter
20% Flaked Barley
10% Roast Barley
55/63/67/72/78 for 5/30/30/10/10
FWH Magnum and Bramling Cross to bitterness ratio of 1 IBU/SG
Came out at 1041
WLP004

Experimenting with a 9L keg of it and going to add some cold brewed coffee. Mmmm breakfast stout :icon_drool2:

Midnight Brew said:
Experimenting with a 9L keg of it and going to add some cold brewed coffee. Mmmm breakfast stout :icon_drool2:
Nice Cam, go for nice freshly ground coffee if possible mate.

JB said:
Nice Cam, go for nice freshly ground coffee if possible mate.
Will do mate. Manual grinder has arrived and will pickup some beans and get things brewing tonight. Should have some feedback by the weekend :icon_cheers:

Midnight Brew said:
Glad you enjoyed it mate, Cheers

DIS (Dry Irish Stout)
70% TFFM Maris Otter
20% Flaked Barley
10% Roast Barley
55/63/67/72/78 for 5/30/30/10/10
FWH Magnum and Bramling Cross to bitterness ratio of 1 IBU/SG
Came out at 1041
WLP004

That sounds fantastic. Cheers for the recipe too!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1474099667.387217.jpg

5: Grainers spare parts stout. Just got back from our local footy grand final so my palate is up the shit from drinking VB al afternoon! Here goes, first up, good solid stout. Slightly American hop flavour? Or maybe the bourbon taste coming through. Not roasty but more sour/soy sauce like flavour but in a good way. Nice beer John. 2 glasses in now and I'm feeling the strength. She's a strong one im guessing. Noice! Cheers![emoji481][emoji481]

1. Whiteferret - Oatmeal stout

Pours well with a head that doest disappear. Aroma I get hints of roast, fruit and a little sweetness I can't quiet describe. Flavour is beautiful in a word. This very approachable sweetness that fades into a fruity warmth character then followed by a small about of roast/chocolate. Slick follows the roast and then the circle starts again with the next sip. Very enjoyable Wayne and session able. I think it's going to be difficult having a few dry stouts after this.

Very well made and cheers for sharing.

Curly79 said:
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1474099667.387217.jpg

5: Grainers spare parts stout. Just got back from our local footy grand final so my palate is up the shit from drinking VB al afternoon! Here goes, first up, good solid stout. Slightly American hop flavour? Or maybe the bourbon taste coming through. Not roasty but more sour/soy sauce like flavour but in a good way. Nice beer John. 2 glasses in now and I'm feeling the strength. She's a strong one im guessing. Noice! Cheers![emoji481][emoji481]
From memory the base beer was from a KTG.. so not much roast in it. Had heaps of rapadura suer in i too boost the ABV and give some other deeper cane/caramels. Wish I had have kept one!

11. Reardo - my take on a Mountain Goat Summer ale

Nice dense little crown sitting on top of a golden body. Crystal clear. Strong citrus on the nose. Refreshing on the first sip which then blends into a citrus like character with stone fruit flavours, then becomes an ever so pleasant bitterness. Not a huge amount of malt character to backup the hops but then again its a summer ale and I will shutup and enjoy it. Another great beer and pretty good effort all around so far. Taking me awhile to chip through them but all good beers so far.

8. Mofox1 - ICBM (Inter Continental Bloody Muther) freakin' Stout
If I were to describe a stout, this would be it. There's no mistaking the roast. Bitterness bang on, roast bang on, aroma dank and complex, balance with alcohol just... well... I can't tell how strong it is. It works. Honestly a great example of a stout and a great way to finish my swap beers.

22 Wiggmans Pasterbier

Little carb and little to no head but slight and reasonable everesance. Scrap that, it has perfect carbonation. I love this beer. Its session able. It's not in your face. It has great flavour and balance. Perfect example of a yeast driven beer.

Consumed in 10 minutes. Boy oh boy, what a beer. Very inspired. Did I mention I loved this beer? It's got to be a simple recipe yeah? Cause it's so darn good!

Sorry for the short review its just that, well I enjoyed it too much. Hope you're coming to the next swap mate. Cheers for sharing.

5 Grainer - Spare parts on bourbon stout

Pours well, nice little tight head that doesn't anticipate.

Fruity, dark fruits, cherry and hints of roast and bourbon. Aroma is off the chain.
Initial taste, full with overly carbonic bite. Strips the flavours that I'm looking for from the aroma. After beating the shit out of it and skimming it with a spoon (Madhu trick) I got the carbonation right down to my preferred level. Bourbon character is very prominent and pleasantly takes the front seat. It's not overpowering but I don't get the other stout flavours, then again that may have not been the intention. All in all I'm no judge or experienced with additional blended flavours but the bourbon flavour is great but lacks the supporting malts to back it up. Again I may have missed the point here.

Just curious to your carbonation regime? In the past I've had some of your beers overcarbed and others pretty good (that said I'm a low carbonation kinda guy). I loved the bourbon element but just needed more support.

Back