VIC 2016 Xmas in July Case Swap - TASTING

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
technobabble66 said:

Very Latest:

18 - Curly79, blah blah Stout.

App

First of all, i hate you - beer went everywhere! :blink:

About a 1/2 second before beer started spurting on to everything. Unfortunately, the obvious option of just re-sealing the bottle didn’t occur to me, so 5 mins of cleaning up interrupted the review. :lol:

Totally jet black.

Head has collapsed slowly to be tiny.

Aroma

Roasty ashy aroma. Bit of earthy chocolate in there.

Flava

Solid earthiness. Mild smooth bitterness. Full mouthfeel. Neutral finish - neither sweet nor dry. Slight slickness - oats? Slight alcohol warmth. Carb has died down to a good level by the time i got to this, so i’m assuming its well over-done, but is good (low) later on. Maybe the tiniest hint of rum in there - honestly only picking because it’s in the name though. It sort of combines with other elements to highlight the earthy element. I’d point out that’s definitely a good thing. Some chocolate element in there somewhere.

Overall

Excellent stout - fantastic example of an “Earthy” stout, IMO.

All the various elements work really well in this (bitterness, sweet/dry, etc).

Not sure if you intended it, but a strong “earthiness” really stands out for me. I’m guessing the rum and the chocolate you’ve intended to smack me in the face actually seem to sit in the background … BUT work well to strongly enhance the “earthy” element.

A slight sweetness maybe helps bring the chocolate element out a little in the late flavour.

Obviously, i’m very keen to see the recipe for this! I’m guessing some oats in there, but i’m curious as to the hops (fuggles? or something else?).

Maybe down the carb a little next time! (muthafucka! B) )

Perfect for watching HP master the Basilisk, though not nearly enough alcohol content to abide Titanic. I’m not sure if that’s possible in a beer, though, so you’re definitely forgiven!
Thanks Techno. That batch was a disaster. Dodgy bottles meant nearly everyone's was infected apart from a few. Sorry bout the beer explosion. Here's the recipe. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1479015671.781478.jpg
I drinking one now that I bottled in glass and it's quite nice. Pity I stuffed up the swap bottles [emoji21]

Curly79 said:
Thanks Techno. That batch was a disaster. Dodgy bottles meant nearly everyone's was infected apart from a few. Sorry bout the beer explosion. Here's the recipe.
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1479015671.781478.jpg
I drinking one now that I bottled in glass and it's quite nice. Pity I stuffed up the swap bottles [emoji21]
I reused all the swap bottles, you can have yours back if you like :ph34r: (I like to live dangerously)

mofox1 said:
The secret weapon in there is the amber... Just ties it all together beautifully.
Ha! I've tried telling peeps that Amber is the Secret Weapon in a lot of my prize-winning beers. Some listen....

My ability to make amber work for me is rubbish. I seem to enjoy every beer others have brewed with it.

It's in that EIPA we brewed Mardoo so time will tell.

11. Reardo - My take on a Mountain Goat Summer Ale

How did this sit in my fridge so long? I found it with the stouts from this swap I didn't get around to this winter, I mean summer... no. Last winter.

Clarity is amazing, findings or filtered? Colour great. Aroma a bit toffee, no fruit so my slackness has meant hops have suffered. Flavour is pleasant, smashable. Nice citrus and a touch if pine. Very well brewed, should gave got to this earlier. That'll learn me. Better get on to the new swap beers and cone back to the ageable beers from this swap, thanks REEEE-A-RDO!

Cheers DJ. Crash chilled for a week and a simple whirlfloc tablet was used. That was it [emoji106]

Better late than never. Just discovered a couple of PET bottles lurking up the back of the beer fridge.
19. Midnights Dry Irish Stout.
Beautiful Stout mate! My tasting notes have not improved over the last couple of years so no fancy comments but, this is a well brewed well balanced beer. Dry but not over the top. Like most stouts I should have let it warm up a bit as it got better after the first glass. Definitely low on carb but was fine after pouring from a height. Very nice mate thank you and cheers. [emoji481][emoji481]

15 - micbrew 2 n special bitter (wtf does that mean hehe?)
Sadly a gusher, made a mess, tasted affected by age in a bad way. Should have drunk it warlier sorry Mick!

19 - Midnight Brew dry Irish stout
Dry dry dry, which subdues the roast malts to a very modest level, unless you darkened with midnight wheat or something to get the colour? Really enjoyable Cam, it's an every day stout, one I'd love to have on tap. Care to share recipe (apologies for necro tasting just realised I have a few of the dark beers in back of the keg fridge...)

Just spotted another one hiding in the beer fridge. #8. Hmmm. 30 degrees is ok for a stout isn't it?

Nope. Straight from the fridge. Glad I cracked this one! Great beer Mofox! At first when it was very cold it tasted like a bloody good Black IPA. As it warmed the stout flavours come shining through. Think I might have saved the best till last [emoji106][emoji481][emoji481]. Thanks Mofox.

Curly79 said:
Nope. Straight from the fridge. Glad I cracked this one! Great beer Mofox! At first when it was very cold it tasted like a bloody good Black IPA. As it warmed the stout flavours come shining through. Think I might have saved the best till last [emoji106][emoji481][emoji481]. Thanks Mofox.
Ha! You might have had the last one around... just finished off the last of my stash a week or so ago. Unless others are way behind on the drinking responsibilities. :ph34r:

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1485607585.389584.jpg

Going down a treat with the final episode of Westworld. Fookin well brewed, love the firm yet smooth bitterness, ohhh yeah!

DJ_L3ThAL said:
19 - Midnight Brew dry Irish stout
Dry dry dry, which subdues the roast malts to a very modest level, unless you darkened with midnight wheat or something to get the colour? Really enjoyable Cam, it's an every day stout, one I'd love to have on tap. Care to share recipe (apologies for necro tasting just realised I have a few of the dark beers in back of the keg fridge...)
Cheers Nath, glad you liked it mate. Its Brad Smiths recipe for a DIS and couldnt resist trying it. No midnight wheat and 10% Roast Barley! The body comes from the flaked barley. Next time I brew it I might mash a little higher to finish a tad higher in FG so it isnt quiet as dry.

Just sipping' down #13, Malt Junkie's Belgian double thingy. (i snuck a second one out of the spares at the end of the swap :ph34r: )
Mike, such a great belgian strong!
Aroma-wise, the sweet candy is contrasted well by the spicy undertone.
Excellent balance, blah blah blah. It's ******* awesome.
Perfect beer to go with a great footy game! (swans v dogs)

Which brings me to the negative: i notice you've been a lazy fecker and not posted the recipe. Chop chop!! (though i think Belgian season has passed, so you've got another 6 months before my next crack at these :lol: ).

Cheers, mate. Very glad to have a 2nd one of these!

Latest posts

Back