VIC 2016 Xmas in July Case Swap - TASTING

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TheWiggman said:
Good to hear, just wanted to know whether or not it was a potential bottle bomb.
Already had a 7.5% longneck on a Monday, up at 5:30 AM... tomorrow maybe ;)
C'mon... I had a 12% scotch ale last night at 11pm. Surely the man of the roo stew belly can go a little oaty stout... ;)

Good homework techno! All useful comments from everyone really. I think it was brewed mid March and has been in the bottle for over 3 months. I really want to have another taste but alas, none left. I've just started on the recipe for version 3. I'll sub the Motueka for more chinook I think. Mmmmm chinook. Already got a few brews lined up so it will go on the list. Here's the recipe for the last one...

Black IPA V2

1.072 OG
1.015 FG

47% Pilsner
37% Marris Otter
4.3% Dark Crystal
4.3% Midnight Wheat (Mash out)
2.2% Carafa1 (Mash out)
5.2% Dextrose

50g Centennial - 15 min
50g Motueka - 15 min
50g Centennial, 50g Motueka and 25g Chinook in each cube.
2.5g/L each of Centennial and Motueka dry hopped.

Yeah no excuse mofox. Tried to think of a witty retort, came up boring.
Dextrose VP?

TheWiggman said:
Dextrose VP?
Yeah. Wanted it to finish as dry as possible.

TheWiggman said:
Dextrose VP?
I thought the same thing.. huh dextrose...

The secret ingredient is.... Dextrose.
Edit: To be honest it was only going to be a couple of % but pre-boil gravity was off so threw more in.

If it suits it suits. I don't care about adjuncts personally, I care about how it tastes in the glass. I have a feeling after this showing that Black IPAs will be popping up in the WAYB thread for the next 12 months. I reckon put your recipe in the recipe section, it will get a heap of attention.

Ha I haven't looked at the recipe DB for over 12 months because it was cactus. Thought it might have been fixed and I didn't know about it.

TheWiggman said:
If it suits it suits. I don't care about adjuncts personally, I care about how it tastes in the glass. I have a feeling after this showing that Black IPAs will be popping up in the WAYB thread for the next 12 months. I reckon put your recipe in the recipe section, it will get a heap of attention.
+1.
I'd v highly rate that Black IPA, VP. It seems bang on for style to me, or rather, what I want in a Black IPA. Nice mid point of grist, hops and various flavour/mouthfeel elements - so a perfect starting point for tweaking or just enjoying as is.
Def should go into the AHB recipe section.

TheWiggman said:
There's a new subforum which is divided into styles. It'd be a good starter for the India Pale Ale section.
I would say it needs its own section - Specialty IPA . Which would then have to be divided into the sub categories Black, Belgian, Brown, Rye, Red and White.

Updating for the computer illiterate Tim Hearn.

1. whiteferret - Oatmeal Stout Bottled 30/6/16
3. technobabble66 - Ol' Dirty *******. (Old Peculier clone, (= Old Ale), ready to drink ~1/8/16, better if left to ~1/10/16)[/font]
4. AJ80 - oatmeal stout (ready to drink)
5. Grainer - Spare Parts Stout on Bourbon - Priming sugar added on 10th June.. give it at least a month before opening
7. DJ_L3THAL - Teninch Dampfbier (recipe courtesy of Les the Weizguy, minor hops tweak to what was in freezer) - Bottled 13/6, ready to drink once you have it. Fresh is best for this I believe. ABV 5.6%.
8. Mofox1 - ICBM (Inter Continental Bloody Muther) freakin' Stout. (Ready to drink? nah, give this baby some time. August/September)
9. VP Brewing - Black IPA (102.75 in the MM specialty IPA comp. Bottled ages ago so hops have dropped off a bit so drink ASAP!)
10. Grainer - Viennella Saison - Ready to drink
11. Reardo - My take on a Mountain Goat Summer Ale
12. heyhey - ESB - Ready to drink
13. Masters Brewery-Belgian Double
15. Micbrew - 2 n from special bitter ...needs a few months
16. JB - Amber AIPA 6% 45ibu - ready to drink when you are
18. Curly79. Chocolate and Rum Oatmeal Stout. 6%. Ready to drink after 1st of September.
19. Midnight Brew (non attending) - Dry Irish Stout - going to carb this low, pump with syringe
20. mmmyummybeer
21. thearn - American Stout - Bottled at the end of May so is ready to drink. Give it some more time if you like.
22. TheWiggman - Patersbier
24. NO SHOW? Kunfaced - Black Brett Bitters (100% Brett ferment) probably give it some time to age

1. whiteferret - Oatmeal Stout Bottled 30/6/16
3. technobabble66 - Ol' Dirty *******. (Old Peculier clone, (= Old Ale), ready to drink ~1/8/16, better if left to ~1/10/16)[/font]
4. AJ80 - oatmeal stout (ready to drink)
5. Grainer - Spare Parts Stout on Bourbon - Priming sugar added on 10th June.. give it at least a month before opening
7. DJ_L3THAL - Teninch Dampfbier (recipe courtesy of Les the Weizguy, minor hops tweak to what was in freezer) - Bottled 13/6, ready to drink once you have it. Fresh is best for this I believe. ABV 5.6%.
8. Mofox1 - ICBM (Inter Continental Bloody Muther) freakin' Stout. (Ready to drink? nah, give this baby some time. August/September)
9. VP Brewing - Black IPA (102.75 in the MM specialty IPA comp. Bottled ages ago so hops have dropped off a bit so drink ASAP!)
10. Grainer - Viennella Saison - Ready to drink
11. Reardo - My take on a Mountain Goat Summer Ale
12. heyhey - ESB - Ready to drink
13. Masters Brewery-Belgian Double
15. Micbrew - 2 n from special bitter ...needs a few months
16. JB - Amber AIPA 6% 45ibu - ready to drink when you are
18. Curly79. Chocolate and Rum Oatmeal Stout. 6%. Ready to drink after 1st of September.
19. Midnight Brew Dry Irish Stout - Drink at End of August going to carb this low, pump with syringe
20. mmmyummybeer
21. thearn - American Stout - Bottled at the end of May so is ready to drink. Give it some more time if you like.
22. TheWiggman - Patersbier
24. NO SHOW? Kunfaced - Black Brett Bitters (100% Brett ferment) probably give it some time to age

mmmyummybeer said:
Really liked this beer JB. Probable not your traditional IPA with 45ibu the bitterness was a bit in the lighter side than I'd expect from a IPA, but I'm not really one for fitting into style guidelines anyway. Nice dark amber colour, carb a little low but no yeast at all in the bottle gives away that its forced carbed. Getting a little bit of age sweetness. But man so drinkable and delicious, balance of malt and hops spot on and super clean. Would of loved to have had this one fresh straight from the keg. Good job

Thanks wingman for the review. Thought it might of ended up light on carb. Sorry guys I ended up running out of time and force carbed and bottled it late.
Thanks mmmyummybeer, very happy you liked it - styles schmiles ;) You can blame the softer bitterness on fwh only for this one. Cheers

AJ80 said:
16. JB - AIPA 6% 45ibu - ready to drink when you are

Fan-friggen-tastic mate. Awesome burnished copper colour and an awesome fruity aroma expected of an AIPA. Smooth bitterness with more of those fruity hops we all love! Sure the carb is low, but a few pumps of the poor man's beer engine (read kids panadol syringe) and it's like a real ale crossed with an IPA - which is great in my books. I now have a stupidly dense slightly tan head which is not going anywhere fast! Really loving this beer JB.
Thanks AJ, chuffed you enjoyed it & thanks for your review, proudly sponsored by Panadol :)

10. Grainer - Viennella Saison
I'll say straight up I don't like Saisons, so take this with a grain of salt.
I picked at random not knowing what this was. Made a satisfying "pssh" that is irrelevant but nonetheless satisfied me. Pours a hazy golden colour, quite pleasant. On opening the whiff I got reminded me of extract. It came across as wheaty, but lacks the phenolic and bubblegum character synonymous with wheats. Flavourwise it's classic barnyard saison with a bit of malt supporting it, guessing Vienna based on the name and colour. Finishes DRY. Unfortunately I can't rave about it because it's a classic saison. I'll leave an honest review to the fans.

16. JB's AIPA. Lovely beer mate. Everything I'd hope for in an IPA. Lovely dark colour and plenty of fruity/piney hop aroma. Definitely under carbed but was fine with a slow trickle pour from a height into my glass. Very enjoyable[emoji106]Cheers

Latest posts

Back