Qld Xmas in July in June2014 case swap * tasting thread *

• Thread starter bradsbrew
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ben kens rauche
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1404630227.736936.jpg
Up front smokey BBQ sauce aroma and on first taste. That fades and I get some malt and sweetness coming through. Well balanced and suits my Sunday arvo perfectly.

18) leahy268 - Cascade and Galaxy pale ale

Fruity aroma, tastes of grapefruit and light caramel malt, good bitter kick. Gold almost copper colour. Actually very similar to LCPA. Well made beer, Wawrick
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1404632428.926945.jpg

Grabbed a random bottle from the fridge to try.

2) Beersuit - American Wheat.

Upfront, light citrus aroma. Pours with a fluffy, persistent white head. Plenty of wheat tart flavour in the taste with a slight metallic tang. Personally I thought it was a tad too bitter for the style, I'd cut back on the bitterness to let the malt come through a bit more. I didn't get much in the way of banana / phenolics usually there for the style. Overall though, a clean and refreshing beer. Cheers!

Brads brew hazelnut mild
Bags and bags of hazelnut. And then some hazelnut.
I'm also getting some faint roastiness in the after-taste. A nice tasty mild.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1404638166.759092.jpg

Donske said:
Just poured your beer mate, I can't add more to the feedback already given, it is really nice, curious about the grist, mind sharing the recipe?
Here you go mate.
45% pilsner
44% pale wheat
5% dark wheat
3% acidulated
3% caramalt
65℃ for 90
12 ibu Amarillo @ 10
10 ibu Amarillo @ 0
No chill adjusted
1056 @ 15
30g Amarillo dry hopped.

I think I'll do Liams, Aydos and Peters beers in one go tomorrow, then go straight to bed.

2) Beersuit - American Wheat.
US citrusy hopped quite sessionable quaffer. Ticks everything for me.

I've done Parks' effort else where - great beer same as RodV's Red IPA (I'll repost the tasting notes here when I find them)
Fark its cold...

Liam_Snorkel, thanks for the comments, I'll definitely tone down the bulk prime next time!
Guys, when trying my beer, do a "German pour", as in, fill half way, let it sit and calm down then pour again, let it sit then do the final pour. It should showcase the beer better then I hope.

Well, I had a nice and relaxing weekend with a few buddies turning up for a couple and random chats.
This gave me a prime opportunity to taste the remaining beers (excepts Snow's) in my swap carton :D

10) Daemon - Zythos IPA
I had this possibly a bit early according to Deamon, but honestly, it was a very nice drop.
I brewed a batch up with Zythos the other week, and it's been chucked in the fermenter, looking forward to that :)

15) NickB - APA
Very yummy hop profile! Hopped as much as an IPA I think, but to me, that's just perfect. Well balanced beer, with a good malt backbone.

17) Aydos - Blueberry and Black peppercorn Belgian stout
Complex flavours, I got Pepper and fruitiness, hints of blueberry. Thick stout for sure.

Really nice aussie style pale imo. Great hops aroma and well balanced maltyness in this one.

19) Donske - Rye Dark Mild
I like this one very much, easy drinkable and great malt aroma. I'd like to make something like this at some stage, especially in a slightly larger batch, so I can enjoy a few beers without getting to rowdy LOL

20) tazman1967 - Kraken Rum Oak Aged Stout
YUM! I love rum and I love beer, what a great combination. The balance of this beer was great, with that constant hint of the rum just rounding off the sweetness so very well! How was this made? Do you have a recipe for it??

21) Madpierre - Sparkling Ale (kit 'n' bit)
I should've seen the give it a month note. Sorry, I drank it. It was a pretty good beer for a kit. I still got the "kit twang", possibly because I drank it too early, sorry I didn't do it justice mate, I really wish I'd seen/ remembered the note...

This beer tasting has been awesome! :D
I've thoroughly enjoyed all the beers presented, some crackers in this batch! I can't wait for the next swap meet, first of all to catch up with all you fine people again, but secondly to get a massive variety of beers to test again.
I've starred those beers that really stood out to me, and I'm surpriced! I love my IPA beers, hoppy and delicious, but I seem to be drawn towards the Belgian beers, The darker beers, including that cracker Cherry Wood Rauch!
A few new styles of beers have been put on the "to brew" list. I wish I could leave my beers alone for long enough to make something like Perry's delicous Apricot Sour, one day maybe :D

Cheers for all the beers!
Martin

Drinking TheCarbinator's BGSA, can echo earlier comments that it's a bit lacking in carb, aside from that it's a top beer, lovely subtle spice/fruit flavours going on.

Maybe a touch more warm alcohol than I would target but all the better for it on a chilly evening.

seehuusen said:
19) Donske - Rye Dark Mild
I like this one very much, easy drinkable and great malt aroma. I'd like to make something like this at some stage, especially in a slightly larger batch, so I can enjoy a few beers without getting to rowdy LOL
Cheers Martin, that's pretty much the reason I got hooked on milds, so damn smashable but not lacking in flavour or body.

I'm overdue to knock out another batch actually, I used up my last cube for the case swap :angry:

ballantynebrew said:
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1404632729.340942.jpg

1- Perry's sour - great nose and nice pleasant taste. I knew it would be a winner anyways.
I should have hit Perry up for a bottle of this, both Shaun and I enjoyed it. I deserved one Perry, for my excellent brekky cooking skills, seems I have become the brekky bitch of late. :p :ph34r:

Batz

1 Perry's apricot sour.
Nice funkyness on the nose. Tart and dry on the pallet. I like this beer mate. Very nice indeed.

Sorry to rub it in Batz.

Beersuit said:
Sorry to rub it in Batz.
I know where you live, but it's too bloody cold up there ATM. :lol:

Batz

2) Beersuit - American Wheat. - READY

These are my two for today, another two enjoyable drops. My first try of a wheat beer and a style I could easily get used to.

A big plus from me to Donske, I love that Dark Rye Mild you did mate. So easy and still flavoursome to drink and if you care to share one I would appreciate a recipe for as this is one I would happily keg up ( I am looking to grab a coupla kegs soon just for this purpose) for those family type gatherings where they can just go to a tap for a mid strength beer as opposed to their usual Goldies. And one I would love to have a good supply of bottles of sitting downstairs.

20. Tazman kraken rum oak aged stout.
Poorer flat as a tack mate sorry, but nothing a bit of pocket sparkler action couldn't repair. Flavourwise is fantastic. The spices from the rum blend well with the malt. A very nice beer for a cold night in front of the heater up the hill.

seehuusen said:
10) Daemon - Zythos IPA
I had this possibly a bit early according to Deamon, but honestly, it was a very nice drop.
I brewed a batch up with Zythos the other week, and it's been chucked in the fermenter, looking forward to that :)
If it's had a week of slightly warm storage then it should be right to drink, it was bottled a week before the swap and being naturally carbonated hadn't quite finished. I tried a bottle on Sunday night and it's lost a bit of hop flavour but I'm still happy with it. It's close to a red IPA, which seems to be a bit of a theme for this swap!

14) TheCarbinator - Belgian Golden Strong Ale - Ready.
Initial pour was quite flat, so I stuck the carbonator cap on for a few really good shakes. Much better! This beer reminds me of a Duvel or at least my memory of it. There's a lovely complex aroma packed with banana, clove, malt and alcohol. Flavour wise there's a distinct honey like sweetness yet the balance is spot on. There's a nice hop bitterness, estery mid-palette and it's dry enough that that malt isn't overpowering. I sat there smelling and sipping this one until the bottle was gone, it could be really dangerous if I had a keg of this. Very well done, other than the carbonation (which was easy to fix) it's simply divine.

madpierre06 said:
A big plus from me to Donske, I love that Dark Rye Mild you did mate. So easy and still flavoursome to drink and if you care to share one I would appreciate a recipe for as this is one I would happily keg up ( I am looking to grab a coupla kegs soon just for this purpose) for those family type gatherings where they can just go to a tap for a mid strength beer as opposed to their usual Goldies. And one I would love to have a good supply of bottles of sitting downstairs.

Here you go mate.

Mild 6 (Rye) (Mild)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.042 (°P): 10.5
Final Gravity (FG): 1.015 (°P): 3.8
Alcohol (ABV): 3.58 %
Colour (SRM): 16.6 (EBC): 32.7
Bitterness (IBU): 24.8 (Tinseth - No Chill Adjusted)

74.5% Maris Otter Malt
15% Rye Malt
8% Caramunich III
2.5% Roasted Barley

2.3 g/L East Kent Golding (4.4% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)

0.0 g/L Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 70°C for 30 Minutes. Boil for 30 Minutes

Fermented at 18°C with Wyeast 1084 - Irish Ale

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Donske said:
Here you go mate.

Mild 6 (Rye) (Mild)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.042 (°P): 10.5
Final Gravity (FG): 1.015 (°P): 3.8
Alcohol (ABV): 3.58 %
Colour (SRM): 16.6 (EBC): 32.7
Bitterness (IBU): 24.8 (Tinseth - No Chill Adjusted)

74.5% Maris Otter Malt
15% Rye Malt
8% Caramunich III
2.5% Roasted Barley

2.3 g/L East Kent Golding (4.4% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)

0.0 g/L Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 70°C for 30 Minutes. Boil for 30 Minutes

Fermented at 18°C with Wyeast 1084 - Irish Ale

Recipe Generated with BrewMate
Awesome, thanks for that mate, much appreciated.

Latest posts

Back