Qld Xmas in July in June2014 case swap * tasting thread *

• Thread starter bradsbrew
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snow said:
The Carbonator's Belgian Golden strong ale:

Aroma: pear, light apple, light orange.
Flavour: nice funky fruit and phenolics. Lovely middle palate of bready malt and pears. Light spicy hops and great lingering bitterness.

Finishes a bit sweet and full bodied for me.

The beer was a touch under carbonated which enhanced the fullness of the mouthfeel, but was totally delicious, nonetheless.

I love Belgians and this was a bloody nice beer!

Cheers - Snow.
angus_grant said:
The Carbinator!
Strong Belgian ale

I think snow says it better than I can.

I'll agree on the under-carbonation comment so you know it's across two bottles. I think a bit more carb would bring out more aroma cause I didn't really get the same notes that snow got. My sense of smell could be shit though. :)

It's got that nice slick mouth feel and I get hints of the alcohol as well. What % is this one?

Thanks for the comments guys.
Yeah it finished higher than I would have liked (1.014 when it was supposed to be 1.011).
It's a shame that it's a bit under carbonated, I had it under 300 kpa for almost 2 days when I bottled it at the last minute on Friday afternoon.
It tasted almost carbed enough, might have lost a bit more through the counter pressure bottle filler.
Anyone who has a carbonation cap, feel free to give it a bit of a charge before drinking.
It's around 8.7% abv.

9) Parks - Single hop Amarillo IPA
Poors a nice copper colour with a nice tight head. Fantastic Amarillo aroma on the nice Fruity and floral. The flavour balance is very good. Bitter up front finishing with a nice maltiness. I do really like this beer it's hard to believe it's 7%. Any chance or a recipe Parks?

Beersuit said:
I do really like this beer it's hard to believe it's 7%. Any chance or a recipe Parks?
Sure :)

22L into the fermenter.

70% BB Ale Malt
15% Munich I
5% Medium Crystal
2% Acidulated
8% Dextrose

17IBU worth of clean buttering hop @ 60min (Magnum, Warrior etc)
70IBU (calculated) Amarillo 300g flameout steep for 15min
4 g/L Amarillo dry hop (100g)

10g Gypsum (mash)
1tsp Yeast Nutrient (@10min)
3.65g Brewbrite (@10min)

WY1272 American Ale II

3 step HERMS schedule - 64 for 60, 72 for 10, 78 for 10.
Fly sparge.

OG 1.066
FG 1.013

I think that's about it.

Ok... tried a few more :chug: :

2) Beersuit - American Wheat
and here's a picture....
wheat.JPG

Light gainy aroma with light citrusy hops. Smells fresh and inviting!

Flavour is kinda tangy with light hops and malt.

Finishes clean with ligering fresh grainy taste and nice bitterness. good carbonation but head died a bit quickly. Might have been my glass :ph34r:

A really nice refreshing beer that i wanted more of!

11) Angus - dunkel weizen
Drinking this right now. Nice light phenolic aromas, hints of caramel malt and fruit.... not quite bananas..

Tastes a little thin, but nice, nonetheless. Tart, tangy, with a nice funky, malty finish. Quite pleasant.

13) ballantynebrew - Vintage Ale
I was really looking forward to this as a vintage ale, but to me, it is more a straigh english IPA, albeit a touch darker. Having said that, I really enjoyed it and couldn't fault it. the slight diacetyl worked really well with the earthy hops and the lingering bitterness. Noice!

18) leahy268 - Cascade and Galaxy pale ale
What can i say? Well crafted pale ale that tasted like cascade and galaxy, though probably more galaxy than cascade. Subtle aroma, with a good flavour balance with the hops and malt and finished with a nice lingering biterness that went well with my dinner :)

Cheers - Snow.

Beersuit said:
1) Winkle, Apricot, Sour. READY
2) Beersuit - American Wheat. - READY
3) Benken25 - Raunchybier - READY
4) Earle - smoked rye porter
5) Bradsbrew - Hazelnut Mild Ale - READY
6) Robv - Red IPA Give it 2weeks
7) Liam_snorkel - cherrywood rauch dunkelweizen READY!! DRINK NOW!!
8 ) lukiferj - Reign in Blood Red IPA - READY
9) Parks - Single hop Amarillo IPA. - READY (pour carefully, some have a bit of trub in there)
10) Daemon - Zythos IPA - Wait 2 weeks
11) Angus - dunkel weizen - READY
13) ballantynebrew - Vintage Ale - READY
14) TheCarbinator - Belgian Golden Strong Ale - Ready.
15) NickB - APA - READY but would probably be best after a week or 2 of cold storage
16) Snow - Imperial Witbier - give it two more weeks.
17) Aydos - Blueberry and Black peppercorn Belgian stout. -Ready
19) Donske - Rye Dark Mild - READY
20) tazman1967 - Kraken Rum Oak Aged Stout - READY
21) Madpierre - Sparkling Ale (kit 'n' bit) - GIVE ANOTHER MONTH OR SO
23) Seehuusen - Blueberry Hefeweizen - Should be ready, but can sit for a little while if you prefer. I like my hefeweizen fresh. Bottled
Had to amend the list for Rob v

Tried a couple of beers last night;

First was Brad's hazelnut mild, which definitely had a ton of hazelnut aroma and flavour, so much that for my tastes it completely masked the beer underneath it. I split the bottle with my old man and he said the same thing. It was a nice beer mate, I just wish a bit more malt had come through in the flavour.

Second was Aydos' stout, what a complex beer, poured it cold and the main flavour coming through was the roasted malts, with just a touch of pepper at the back of the tongue, as it warmed though there was a bit of sweetness and some of the Belgian esters coming through which balanced the roasted malts and pepper beautifully, I couldn't pick whether the sweetness was the blue berries or cara malts mate but it didn't matter. Nicely made beer mate, quite enjoyed it.

I had a couple more yesterday after getting home from my weekly trip to Brissy.

3) Benken25's Rauchbier - YUM! I got bacon followed by a sweet, near bbq sauce flavour! I could drink this for breakky all day and everyday :)
4) Earle's Smoked Rye Porter - The smokiness was less than that of Benken25's, which allowed the Rye to come through better. I really liked this one, though perhaps slightly under carbed IMO.
5) BradsBrew's Chockpricot Mild Ale - I have to agree with Donske on his review, LOTS of hazelnut aroma and plenty of sweetness. Something I wouldn't mind a smaller glass of after dinner.
6) RobV's Red IPA - It's a real shame that I didn't see the "give it 2 weeks" warning before I opened this one... Note's say "Not done, metallic bitterness, no carbonation"... Sorry for opening this too early Rob, it smells great though!

seehuusen said:
I had a couple more yesterday after getting home from my weekly trip to Brissy.

3) Benken25's Rauchbier - YUM! I got bacon followed by a sweet, near bbq sauce flavour! I could drink this for breakky all day and everyday :)
4) Earle's Smoked Rye Porter - The smokiness was less than that of Benken25's, which allowed the Rye to come through better. I really liked this one, though perhaps slightly under carbed IMO.
5) BradsBrew's Chockpricot Mild Ale - I have to agree with Donske on his review, LOTS of hazelnut aroma and plenty of sweetness. Something I wouldn't mind a smaller glass of after dinner.
6) RobV's Red IPA - It's a real shame that I didn't see the "give it 2 weeks" warning before I opened this one... Note's say "Not done, metallic bitterness, no carbonation"... Sorry for opening this too early Rob, it smells great though!
Sorry, mine probably needs more to be carved up enough. Been out of phone/internet range so will update the list.

1) Winkle, Apricot, Sour.[/font][/color]
2) Beersuit - American Wheat. - READY
3) Benken25 - Raunchybier - READY
4) Earle - smoked rye porter - will need more time to carb
5) Bradsbrew - Hazelnut Mild Ale - READY
6) Robv - Red IPA Give it 2weeks
7) Liam_snorkel - cherrywood rauch dunkelweizen READY!! DRINK NOW!!
8 ) lukiferj - Reign in Blood Red IPA - READY
9) Parks - Single hop Amarillo IPA. - READY (pour carefully, some have a bit of trub in there)
10) Daemon - Zythos IPA - Wait 2 weeks
11) Angus - dunkel weizen - READY
13) ballantynebrew - Vintage Ale - READY
14) TheCarbinator - Belgian Golden Strong Ale - Ready.
15) NickB - APA - READY but would probably be best after a week or 2 of cold storage
16) Snow - Imperial Witbier - give it two more weeks.
17) Aydos - Blueberry and Black peppercorn Belgian stout. -Ready
19) Donske - Rye Dark Mild - READY
20) tazman1967 - Kraken Rum Oak Aged Stout - READY
21) Madpierre - Sparkling Ale (kit 'n' bit) - GIVE ANOTHER MONTH OR SO
23) Seehuusen - Blueberry Hefeweizen - Should be ready, but can sit for a little while if you prefer. I like my hefeweizen fresh. Bottled

Updated

Not an edit: #13 old ale
I actually had to read bjcp styles to find the style. Talk about ambiguous.
"Medium to full body, except if aged then it might be light body"
"Balance is often malty-sweet, but may be well hopped"
"finish may vary from dry to somewhat sweet"
What's not ambiguous is I like the beer. As perry mentioned reminds me of an English IPA. Earthy hops hanging around for quite a while in the after taste.
Slight fruit on the nose but I can't pick a particular smell.
Don't know if I could session this but could certainly knock a few back on a cold night.

#17 aydos blueberry and pepper Belgian stout.

Do yourselves a favour and let this one warm up before drinking.
Getting blueberry on the nose and then...

A nice malty mid-taste and slickness of the alcohol in the after-taste and then the peppers sneak in the "after-after-taste".

Complex beer and well done aydos!

Latest posts

Back