Qld Xmas in July in June2014 case swap * tasting thread *

• Thread starter bradsbrew
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
18) leahy268 - Cascade and Galaxy pale ale

Pours a slightly hazy amber, well carbonated, head retention is excellent.

Aroma is light citrus, slightly 'winey', with subtle passion fruit. Flavour is initially passion fruit, peach, fades into a citrus finish. Balanced well, slightly sweet malt aftertaste.

A very nice beer mate!

Cheers

Had me some fun last night and tried a few brews:

5) Bradsbrew - Hazelnut Mild Ale
Wow! Hazelnuts! Love the aroma - roast malt, nutty, very inviting. Lovely smooth mouthfeel with rich roast malt flavour and a delicate hazelnut finish. Doesn't taste low alcohol. Very delicious beer, mate - well done!

8 ) lukiferj - Reign in Blood Red IPA
Very light hop aroma with a kind of metallic taint. Some malt. Flavour is slightly oxidised unfortunately, which is overpowering the hops. Slightly overcarbonated, as well, which is affecting mouthfeel. A touch of carbonic bite is detracting from the malt and hops. A shame, but you win some and you lose some :unsure:

3) Benken25 - Raunchybier
Nice rauch, mate! Light smoke and rich malt in the aroma. Tasty smokiness but not too much phenolics, which lets the malt shine through with some light hops. Nice clean finish with a pleasant lingering bitterness. I really enjoyed this beer, but it could be smokier for my tastes :D

9) Parks - Single hop Amarillo IPA.
Nice fruity hop aroma, but a bit more subdued than what I was expecting. good strong bitterness backed up by a solid malt backbone. Flavours of peach and light biscuitty malt. Very tasty!

Not sure what the ABV of all the above were, but I fell asleep in my chair after the last one :lol:

Cheers - Snow

lukiferj said:
Bummer sorry Snow. The two I tested were both ok. Hope there isn't too many like this.
Sorry mate mine is similar to snows. I don't get the metallic taste though. Very carbonated which takes away from its drinkability. Flavourwise though it is well balanced.

11) Angus - dunkel weizen
Great yeast character on the nose Angus. Drinks very well nice choc banana balance. Carbonation and mouthfeel are spot on.

Just started into my swap beers, got to say.. there are some awesome beers in this swap.
Due to the cold night, Im drinking the dark beers.
Special mention so far... to Benken25, Liam _Snorkel, and Angus

The Carbonator's Belgian Golden strong ale:

Aroma: pear, light apple, light orange.
Flavour: nice funky fruit and phenolics. Lovely middle palate of bready malt and pears. Light spicy hops and great lingering bitterness.

Finishes a bit sweet and full bodied for me.

The beer was a touch under carbonated which enhanced the fullness of the mouthfeel, but was totally delicious, nonetheless.

I love Belgians and this was a bloody nice beer!

Cheers - Snow.

I git started this eveing and first up was Parks' Amarillo IPA. Whuilst I don't have the understanding of palate/taste nuances as more learned/practised colleagues, for me this was certainly a different drop. I will ask a question, does the 'amarillo' in the name refer to a hops variety? If so, this is handy knowledge for me to start banking as I move into AG.

As I said, this was different for me but an enjoyable drop nevertheless. Once I was used to the stronger flavour coming through I really enjoyed. I have come to the conclusion that I may have destroyed some taste buds when I started smoking 'make your owns' using torn up tissue paper rolled up in newspaper at 14 and thus am less able to determine many of the different tastes determined as present by other tasters.

And not limited to tasting alone, I had the glass sitting on the table while I finished some cleaning up and turned back to find some participants of the fruit fly problem we have been having lately had met their demise in the glass having been enticed in fer a drinkie poo. What can't a good beer do!!! So am leaving it out overnight to see how it goes.

Next beer will be tasted friday as I am having a couple beer free days.

1) Winkle, Apricot, Sour.
2) Beersuit - American Wheat. - READY
3) Benken25 - Raunchybier - READY
4) Earle - smoked rye porter
5) Bradsbrew - Hazelnut Mild Ale - READY
6) Robv - Red IPA
7) Liam_snorkel - cherrywood rauch dunkelweizen READY!! DRINK NOW!!
8 ) lukiferj - Reign in Blood Red IPA - READY
9) Parks - Single hop Amarillo IPA. - READY (pour carefully, some have a bit of trub in there)
10) Daemon - Zythos IPA - Wait 2 weeks
11) Angus - dunkel weizen - READY
13) ballantynebrew - Vintage Ale - READY
14) TheCarbinator - Belgian Golden Strong Ale - Ready.
15) NickB - APA - READY but would probably be best after a week or 2 of cold storage
16) Snow - Imperial Witbier - give it two more weeks.
17) Aydos - Blueberry and Black peppercorn Belgian stout. -Ready
19) Donske - Rye Dark Mild - READY
20) tazman1967 - Kraken Rum Oak Aged Stout - READY
21) Madpierre - Sparkling Ale (kit 'n' bit) - GIVE ANOTHER MONTH OR SO
23) Seehuusen - Blueberry Hefeweizen - Should be ready, but can sit for a little while if you prefer. I like my hefeweizen fresh. Bottled

Updated

Donske's rye dark mild

It's not as black as the photo but we have lost power so iPhone is struggling a bit.

Shoving my snozz in the glass I am getting some nice malt smells but I not picking up much hops.

I am getting some really nice rye tang after-taste which gets better the more it warms up.

Carbonisation is at a nice level and the head drops away fairly quickly but getting some nice lacing on the glass.

Nicely done donske's. Could certainly bash quite a few of these. Nice tasty mild and the rye gives it a nice kick in the after-taste.

I'm sure someone who has a more developed palate and experience can give you better feedback.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404212580.993520.jpg

Mad Pierre: Amarillo is certainly a hop and is quite popular in APA/IPAs. A somewhat expensive hop due to its real or supplier-forced shortage. I would say I get grapefruit or perhaps orange from Amarillo.

Started my batch today, decided that I'd start at one end and make my way through them.

1) winkle's apricot sour. Clean crisp with a delicious sour flavour. Hints of apricot with a slight haze. Even the missus got into this one. Well done.

2) beersuit's American wheat. Clear floral hops aroma, good mouth feel and great head retention. I got one hops flower petal in my beer, was whole flower hops used? What hops was used? I really enjoyed this beer and will try to brew an American wheat next I think :)

This is truly a fun idea, I'm excited and look forward to get some feedback from some clearly talented homebrewers on my beer :D

The Carbinator!
Strong Belgian ale

I think snow says it better than I can.

I'll agree on the under-carbonation comment so you know it's across two bottles. I think a bit more carb would bring out more aroma cause I didn't really get the same notes that snow got. My sense of smell could be shit though. :)

It's got that nice slick mouth feel and I get hints of the alcohol as well. What % is this one?

Seehuusen I'm glad you liked the beer mate. The hop in this one is all Amarillo pellets. A fair amount in the boil late and dry hopped.

I consider myself chastised.. :beerbang:

That boat looks great. Just needs 28 keg systems and a bunch of guys drinking like madman and it would be awesome!

1) Winkle, Apricot, Sour.
2) Beersuit - American Wheat. - READY
3) Benken25 - Raunchybier - READY
4) Earle - smoked rye porter
5) Bradsbrew - Hazelnut Mild Ale - READY
6) Robv - Red IPA Give it 2weeks
7) Liam_snorkel - cherrywood rauch dunkelweizen READY!! DRINK NOW!!
8 ) lukiferj - Reign in Blood Red IPA - READY
9) Parks - Single hop Amarillo IPA. - READY (pour carefully, some have a bit of trub in there)
10) Daemon - Zythos IPA - Wait 2 weeks
11) Angus - dunkel weizen - READY
13) ballantynebrew - Vintage Ale - READY
14) TheCarbinator - Belgian Golden Strong Ale - Ready.
15) NickB - APA - READY but would probably be best after a week or 2 of cold storage
16) Snow - Imperial Witbier - give it two more weeks.
17) Aydos - Blueberry and Black peppercorn Belgian stout. -Ready
19) Donske - Rye Dark Mild - READY
20) tazman1967 - Kraken Rum Oak Aged Stout - READY
21) Madpierre - Sparkling Ale (kit 'n' bit) - GIVE ANOTHER MONTH OR SO
23) Seehuusen - Blueberry Hefeweizen - Should be ready, but can sit for a little while if you prefer. I like my hefeweizen fresh. Bottled
Had to amend the list for Rob v

Back