Qld Xmas case Swap 2014- 6 Dec *tasting thread*

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
menoetes said:
10. Winkle - hefeweizen

I gotta say I'm loving hefe's, weisse's and wits right now and this one was no disappointment!

A nice dry flavor, perfect on a muggy day like today - a clean crisp finish that doesn't linger too long on the palate with just a hint of clove IMO. A gorgeous straw colour and a fluffy white head that subsides at a moderate pace, lacing the glass. Very refreshing! My only wish was that there might have been a little banana in there, but I'm a bit mad for banana in a beer this summer.

I really liked this and wonder what yeast was used and if it is worth me trying to harvest it from the dregs of the bottle for my own first Hefe attempt :p

2015_01_13_18_35_58.jpg
WB-O6 held at 20 C, Stepped mash, 50% BB Wheat, 50% BB Ale. Simple really.

16 .hwall95 - What'd you Saison?

Enjoying this one on my deck in the sun after finishing an early shift at work Harry.

The head was pretty big as I poured it into my jug (my over-eager pouring no doubt) but much more reasonable and endlessly persistent head when poured into the glass, dense and stark white. The aroma has a hint of sour stonefruit to my nose. The colour is a cloudy peach and lovely to behold in the afternoon sun.

The taste is lovely, a little sweet with that musty funk, it's hard to pick the hops through yeast flavour but there is definitely fruit rather than earthy or resin notes in it IMHO. It has a moderate mouthfeel (not to thick not to thin) that coats the tongue nicely and the taste lingers with delightfully smooth bitterness at the end of it. I'll need a drink of water to clear the palate before my next beer :D

Very nice dude, just what I needed this afternoon. Thanks for the drink.

- Meno

2015_01_20_15_24_44.jpg

Bradsbrew - Hazelnut Rocky Road Porter

Extremely nice beer mate, very well done. I don't particularly like rocky road, cherries or turkish delight, but the combination in your beer was fantastic, and very well balanced.
I drank the beer while having an American baked Cheese cake LOL

Cheers,
Martin

PS. Even the missus went "WOW" :D

Benken25 rauchbier Saison
Imagine the Christmas ham bag, or the frying pan after cooking bacon in the morning, THAT is exactly what I got! Yum!
If I was to order a breakfast beer, this'd what I'd ask for first :)
The rauch does hide the funk a fair bit, but its there in the back ground, I like it a lot :)

18. benken25. burn down the barn (rauchbier saison)

Holy Smokey smoke smoker batman!

Needless to say a taste and aroma full of smoke and even... bacon? An intense flavor and I'll admit it took me a while to finish this one off with friends. Very rich and full bodied. I was blown away - I had no idea you could get these sort of flavours into a beer. The saison funk is a little overpowered but still there.

A lovely deep golden colour and nice creamy head - a real pleasure to drink and a real eye opener sir, thanks for a delightful beer on a rainy day.

- Meno

2015_01_23_15_22_03.jpg

WTF is wrong with you people?!?!?! How do you have swap bottles left?!?!?!?!?

I still too have Martin's RIS left. I'm saving it till the weather up here is worthy of its warmth.

Martin's RIS was awesome! Selfishly didn't share it, but it made my lazy afternoon Sunday afternoon a while ago really great! Reminded me of the better beers at 'Weekend of Darkness'

I didn't touch my swap beers for a while, SWMBO was worried about my drinking for a while there and I had to lay off the drinking for a bit, but I'm well into them again now. So expect to see a few reviews from me over the next two weeks.

My last one :(

8. madpierre06 - Biggus Dikkus American Cream Ale
I had one of my cream ales first, then poured this one as a comparison.
Although they were slightly different, due to the differences in their recipes, I tasted a lot of similarities.
Very sessionable, extremely easy to drink, with a beautiful little head the whole way down. To be honest, yours was probably a touch better than mine! :beerbang:
I already have plans to change my grist and use less corn and add rice to mine as well, I'd be very happy with that beer mate :super:

6. tazman1967 Brett Saison

A quick preface; I've not had too many Brett beers nor Saisons. I'll work off the little experience I have...

A stark white head that fades rather quickly, a gorgeous cloudy straw color that glows in the sunlight (see pic). The tart sourness of the brett works well with the musky funk of saison, making it almost like a weisse in some ways IMHO.

A nice smooth bitterness and a lovely slightly slightly fruity/floral taste, I can't pick the hops through the complex yeasts flavours. All together a lovely drink in this weather.

Cheers,
Meno

2015_01_25_17_08_26.jpg

Oooooh yay, I found a last swap beer :D

Bog87 - schwarzbier
Very enjoyable beer, I got dark chocolate, with a nice malt backbone. Once it got slightly warmer, I felt a honey note come through.

Damn it, now I have to wait for the July meet up for more... Better crack out an IPA this week I guess :)

Thanks for all the great beers guys :D

Just cleaning out the bar fridge and found some swap beers.
20. BPH87 - Schwarzbier pours a nice dark colour very little head retention very nice ruby highlights when held up to the light. The largering could have helped. Good chocolate flavour up front followed by some plum in the finish. Great mouth feel finishes dry as a nuns nasty.
Good beer Ben. Well done and sorry for the late tasting.

8. madpierre06 - Biggus Dikkus American Cream Ale pours Crystal clear. Good malt on the nose. Great body and carbonation on the tounge and finishes with a slightly citrus finish. Good beer mate.

Necro alert.
18. Benken burn down the barn rauch saison.
Found this on the bottom shelf of the fridge as soon as I heard the tamper proof seal crack I knew it was a swap beer then scoured the threads for a number 18 with a smokey aroma. Has held up after all this time. Still Smokey very bright from being well lagered dry with a slight funk. Very enjoyable surprise find.

Latest posts

Back