Qld Xmas 2013 case swap * tasting thread *

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
leahy268 said:
Yeah I know what you mean. Interestingly the bottles I put in the fridge 2 weeks after bottling were much nicer. Talking to Anthony and Martin the night they though it could have been the 10 L of tap water that I used in it. I don't have the knowledge or experience to comment. Love getting the feedback though....
I don't know about Toowoomba tap water (you guys drink your own shit, right? :lol: ) but normally tap water doesn't cause major chloramine issues, which can give off a chemical flavour. Other than boiling, a good way to eliminate or minimise chloramines is a good pinch of sodium metabisulphite in the brewing water, which absorbs chloramines. However, my money would be on a wild yeast from a breeze on brew day or an infection in the bottle or fermenter.

Cheers - Snow

Snow said:
I don't know about Toowoomba tap water (you guys drink your own shit, right? :lol: ) but normally tap water doesn't cause major chloramine issues, which can give off a chemical flavour. Other than boiling, a good way to eliminate or minimise chloramines is a good pinch of sodium metabisulphite in the brewing water, which absorbs chloramines. However, my money would be on a wild yeast from a breeze on brew day or an infection in the bottle or fermenter.

Cheers - Snow
Chloramines/chlorine can definitely cause it.

http://morebeer.com/content/homebrew-off-flavors
Chlorophenol
Tastes/Smells Like:
Plastic, Vinyl, Iodine
Possible Causes:
Using chlorinated tap water to brew or rinse equipment is the most common cause
for plastic-like or medicinal flavors. Medicinal flavors can also be the result of using
cleanser or sanitizer that is chlorine or iodine based. Some wild yeast will contribute
to a similar medicinal taste.
How to Avoid:
Don’t use chlorinated water to brew or to rinse equipment that will come into contact
with the beer. If chlorinated water must be used, use a water filter that removes
chlorine or boil the water for 15 minutes and then cool to room temperature to force
out any chlorine that may be present. Always use the recommended amount and
concentrations of sanitizers. Most sanitizers will not cause any off flavors when used
properly. When using bleach, use one-half ounce per gallon of water, let equipment
soak for 10 minutes and always rinse with sanitized (pre-boiled) water.

Parks said:
Chloramines/chlorine can definitely cause it.

http://morebeer.com/content/homebrew-off-flavors
Oh for sure it can cause it. I just mean that with the water we use in the western suburbs of Brisbane, the chlorine isn't strong enough to cause the yeast any problems. I have done tons of brews where I've added tap water, without sodium met, directly to the fermenter, and done whole kit beers with 100% tap water and have never had that plastic taste in my beer. That said, maybe because of the sewerage recycling in T'ba they are over-chlorinating the water, but it would have to be a real shit-load of chlorine methinks...

Right, I see :)

I had a batch with the same taste as Warrick's which I put down to not removing the chloramine. This wouldn't have been all that long after the floods though so maybe they were right at the top level at the time.

Parks said:
Right, I see :)

I had a batch with the same taste as Warrick's which I put down to not removing the chloramine. This wouldn't have been all that long after the floods though so maybe they were right at the top level at the time.
I struggled with brewing for a while after the floods. Not just the brown water, but it wasn't the same, and my IPA lacked punch. It took forever to start knocking out some really good beers again. I generally veered toward dark beers at this time, just in case.

I've always brewed with tap water, sometimes boiled, sometimes not with no additives. It was enough to win awards, but I understand (and want to participate in) the reason for water adjustments and using bottled water. When next winter rolls around, I'll be using RO water to do a Czech Pils.

I had a (potential) silver in QABC last year with a Bitter (I incorrectly classfied as a mild and the judges picked it up and said 35+ point beer if entered as a bitter). That was straight tap water. So there are advantages.

Here in Tassie, the water isn't hard enough and I'm struggling to get bitters right and might need to burtonise my water a bit.

Snow said:
Oh for sure it can cause it. I just mean that with the water we use in the western suburbs of Brisbane, the chlorine isn't strong enough to cause the yeast any problems. I have done tons of brews where I've added tap water, without sodium met, directly to the fermenter, and done whole kit beers with 100% tap water and have never had that plastic taste in my beer. That said, maybe because of the sewerage recycling in T'ba they are over-chlorinating the water, but it would have to be a real shit-load of chlorine methinks...
Correct me if I'm wrong but we voted against recycled water. However something you guys said triggered a thought as to what I dif differently. Usually I use about 30l of rain water. It's very clean but I have to cart it so I only get 30. Then top ip the last with tap. Usually I get it from the inside tap the filtered one. However last couple of times I've just filled from the garden tap. Not the hose but the garden tap. Could this be the source???

Not top up the fermentor but the Hlt if that's what you meant. ..

What I meant was it sounds like your water probably isn't the problem

Yep, I had the golden ale this arvo, beautiful colour. After pouring a glass the initial aroma was of esters and those associated with phenolics. It was not overtaken by this which made me think an infection may have been introduced at the bottling stage and it may have been exposed to heat after bottling which would give of esters during the carbonation. It still had nice qualities and I did pour the second glass and drank it.

This would have been a good beer if not for the faults I have mentioned.

Cheers

BPH87 said:
14. Earle - Roggenbier
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
I really enjoyed this beer mate, über glad you decided to keep it in!
Poured a great red/amber colour, clear with a cm thick head that lasted to the bottom and laced well.
Might have been a little overcarbed.
I am not sure of the aroma, somebody more qualified will comment on this.
Mouthfeel is good, I am unsure of style though.
It's good!
Parks said:
14. Earle - Roggenbier[/b]
Another great one Earle. This was delicious too. I haven't had one before so couldn't really judge but a very well made beer.[b
Glad you liked it. I've never had a commercial example but I suspect mine is not quite to style.

14. Earle - Roggenbier - get into it now

Very malty, a bit of spice. Deep red colour. Holds a good head (carbonation could be helping) but laces well also. I like this a lot, could smash it all night.

:lol: just realised this was the stout batch with the bug issues. I had grand ideas of how I would blend some raspberries and add that to a keg and blah blah blah.

The raspberry edition was just 1ml of Raspberry vodka spirit essence, I think that's what its called, per 750 PET. The bottles were filled from the tap using the perlick growler filler that Craftbrewer sells ( that thing is the ducks nuts for filling bottles BTW). The beer was made in July and had intentions of entering it into QABC but laziness made that not happen. I figured the small amount of sugar in the essence would balance the carbonation lost at bottling.

Anyway here's the recipe for those that are interested.

Grain Bug Stout
Foreign Extra Stout

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 63.0
Total Grain (kg): 14.600
Total Hops (g): 140.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.059 (°P): 14.5
Final Gravity (FG): 1.015 (°P): 3.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.80 %
Colour (SRM): 30.3 (EBC): 59.6
Bitterness (IBU): 42.9 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 83
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill
----------------
6.700 kg Vienna (45.89%)
5.200 kg Pilsner (35.62%)
1.000 kg Roasted Barley (6.85%)
0.900 kg Flaked Oats (6.16%)
0.500 kg Chocolate, Pale (3.42%)
0.300 kg Crystal 90 (2.05%)

Hop Bill
----------------
40.0 g Victoria Pellet (18% Alpha) @ 45 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
40.0 g First Gold Pellet (7.9% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
60.0 g Styrian Golding Pellet (4.4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Multi step Infusion started at 52°C for 10 then raised 62°C for 10 minutes then raised to 67°C for 50 Minutes then raised to 78°C for 10 minutes before double batch sparge.
Fermented at 17°C with Wyeast 1469 - West Yorkshire Ale + coopers bottle yeast raised to 23°C after kegging for 2 weeks.

Notes
----------------
Swap beer was fermented with a blend of 1469 slurry (3rd Gen)and coopers bottle yeast slurry (4th gen).

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Liam_snorkel said:
14. Earle - Roggenbier - get into it now

Very malty, a bit of spice. Deep red colour. Holds a good head (carbonation could be helping) but laces well also. I like this a lot, could smash it all night.
Great beer, had it last night. Sorry did not take notes but do remember thinking I need to get the BJCP out to check out how it measures but chose to enjoy it for the great beer it was instead.

Cheers

bradsbrew said:
Yep, I had the golden ale this arvo, beautiful colour. After pouring a glass the initial aroma was of esters and those associated with phenolics. It was not overtaken by this which made me think an infection may have been introduced at the bottling stage and it may have been exposed to heat after bottling which would give of esters during the carbonation. It still had nice qualities and I did pour the second glass and drank it.

This would have been a good beer if not for the faults I have mentioned.

Cheers
Thanks for the feedback gents. Sounds like I will have to try better for next year...

bradsbrew said:
Great beer, had it last night. Sorry did not take notes but do remember thinking I need to get the BJCP out to check out how it measures but chose to enjoy it for the great beer it was instead.

Cheers
I forgot, but my only problem with Earle's beer was it was overcarb'd a bit. Slight carbonic bite.

So I gave it a swirl and left it for 10 min - perfect :)

15. Snow - Red Rye ESB - Ready to drink now

Sticking with the rye theme. Dark red/brown colour. This one is a touch drier, English yeastiness on the nose combining with a rich maltiness that coats the mouth. I'm having it pretty warm and wondering how it would go on a hand pump.. so.. I whipped up the last 250ml or so with a syringe. Booyah. This is great.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1387453240.013546.jpg

LOL love your style! The ol' syringe enginator trick! Glad you liked the beer. I don't think the rye shows up much - it's more like a straight ESB.

Cheers - Snow

Yeah I thought so, but backing up after the roggenbier I wasn't sure whether it was actually less rye or just perceived. Also my palate isn't very sophisticated.. I didn't even pick up the infection in the golden ale.

Edit: I'll just add, your beer held up a mighty head & lacing after the fauxpump. ESB with extra dollop.

Latest posts

Back