Qld Xmas 2013 case swap * tasting thread *

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good idea. Will sub the roast barley with midnight wheat next time I reckon. Add a generous pinch of peat smoked, maybe turn up the caraaroma too.
Grain bill as it was (23l):
Dark wheat 2kg
Munich II 1.5kg
Wey rauchmalt 1kg
Caraaroma 250g
RB 50g

Just shared the BICS with Father in Law to Be....

He enjoyed it so munch he had 3 gulps...!

I let mine warm somewhat.

Much more restrained than I'd imagined....

Fruity, some sweetness on the nose.

First sip is fairly balanced, sweet malt, stone fruit, hint of sourness in the finish.

Very bloody nice. Very nice.

Really easy drinking, certainly hides the alcohol well.

Looking forward to a sample from the barrel, and the next release from this exclusive brewery!

Cheers!

Raspberry stoup receipe??? Im reading and it look friken awesome..mouth watering from Victoria..

Liam_snorkel said:
Good idea. Will sub the roast barley with midnight wheat next time I reckon. Add a generous pinch of peat smoked, maybe turn up the caraaroma too.
Grain bill as it was (23l):
Dark wheat 2kg
Munich II 1.5kg
Wey rauchmalt 1kg
Caraaroma 250g
RB 50g
I would also up the rauchmalt a bit. but thats just me i love smoked beers though :icon_drool2:

The best Rauch I ever made was with 95% Weyermann Rauch Malt, 5% CaraAroma.

Bloody beautiful!

Yeah the wey rauch isn't anywhere near as smokey as I'd hoped
I was disappointed with W. Smoked the only time I used it many years back & have used Bairds Peated ever since.
Some brewers like the Weyermann Smoked & some like the Bairds Peated. I like the Bairds Peated & I'm happy with it. :)

First swap beer , lucky dip from the fridge - Ben's Spiced Pumpkin Ale
Poured a nice orangey amber colour, small white head which dissipated fairly quickly.
Faint spice aroma.
Well balanced and easy to drink
Great beer.

Bradsbrew raspberry stout

Big hit of raspberry up front, followed by roast to remind you that its a stout. Very nice beer. Yum

Took a lucky dip!
19. TidalPete - Poirot's Revenge Belgian Dubbel
Tasty dubbel TP, complex rich flavors like Christmas cake with some spicy esters, bready? sweet malt aroma, perhaps low carbonation detracts a little but otherwise a monacled Poirot would commend brilliant clarity and deep saturated hues, while he would be well pleased in savouring delicate sips, I am quite sure!

Boxing Day...
Case Swap beers.. why not ?

BPH87 All Day Session IPA..

Carbonation is up there... whoa boy..
Aroma is of tropical fruits and citrus, nice soft bittering..
Lovely golden colour, taste is a bit hop forward to me, needs a bit more malt in the spine..
Otherwise a really nice beer.

17. HBHB cascade Pale Ale. i was a little scared when i put it in the fridge the bottle was really swollen. its been in the fridge for a week now. cracked it pours well with a nice head its carbed well. nice firm bitterness and good aroma. not over the to very sessionable nice work Martian

Couple I had yesterday....

HBHB's Pale - good malt backbone, some decent hop character, but has a background infection going on.... Would explain the swollen bottle. I actually donned gloves and safety glasses to open.... For those who have yet to open theirs, do it ASAP as I think this one may turn into a hand grenade if left at room temp....

And then...

Warwick's Smurto Golden. Cracked it, had a sniff, then a sip. Sorry mate, this is infected. Tastes to me the same as the wild yeast infections I've had before. Shame, as I was looking forward to this one. Perhaps look at your sanitation and even start fresh with a new fermenter and see how you go.

BPH87 Session IPA - very well balanced, lots of passion fruit (guessing Galaxy and or Citra), good malt to back it up, very session able as advertised!

Also over the past few days, have had others, but my record keeping is not great, sorry!

16. Parks Robust Smoked Porter..
I let this warm up for 15 minutes before drinking..

Pours very dark, carbonation soft dense head.
Aroma of dark malts with a hint of smoke, bitterness balances out the malt.
Tastes fantastic.. really well made beer..
Could upscale this to a big tasty Imperial Stout..
Good work..

15 Snow - Red Rye ESB absolutely brilliant beer mate great colour nice full malt flavor not much hops coming though. I think i can just pick the rye if your looking for it. i would love to have something like this on nitro at home :icon_drool2:

1. Winkle/ Rowy/ Florian/ RdeV Collaboration: Barrel- Aged Belgian Imperial Chocolate Stout
Handed around a bottle of our Case Swap beer yesterday at a family gathering (a few wine buffs- well recieved!), I have tried it quite a few times before now, however I have been keeping schtum about because I wanted to see how folks would react to it without pre-empting their findings.
Its an interesting and complex beer in its own right, definitely hits barreled and soured territory, then with great big fruity richness, however TBH I feel it has lost a fair bit of its stout and chocolate character in the secondary. Of course I can say that because I have tried the beer prior to barreling, so I have a certain advantage. Nevertheless, its certainly a handful and glad folks have been enjoying it, many thanks for all the feedback.

9. Beersuit - Black as Pilsner (Kohatu Schwarzbier) nice roasty flavor the colour is as black as his beersuits brewery(almost said brewer) :D. Nice beer i dont get a lot of hop aroma out of it but i have had a few :ph34r: . overall i would happily sink a few of these

NickB said:
BPH87 Session IPA - very well balanced, lots of passion fruit (guessing Galaxy and or Citra), good malt to back it up, very session able as advertised!
Thanks Nick, the hops are actually Amarillo, El dorado & Mosaic. It turned out to be 3.3%.

Been a little concerned about that one too Nick. Bottled through hop flowers and I've had one bottle that was a bit tart as well.
Bitchin'

My Bad.

Latest posts

Back