Qld Xmas 2013 case swap * tasting thread *

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll get into these after I finish work tonight and over the weekend. 10:30pm can't come quick enough!

Cheers

Woohoo I'm on holidays and I'm back on the swap beers again! Now where did I put that spiced pumpkin ale....

Sorry nick night off here and I must try this fabled raspberry bugged stout.
Wow I'm glad I did. It pours a thin head in the glass with a jet black apperance. The aroma on this thing is sweet and juicy. Sensational. The flavour is just as advised, liquid cherry ripe, delicious. I like the dry body on it it makes it quaffable. It's hard to imagine it's 6%. My only critisim brad is drop the bugs to help head retention. Lol.

IMAG0004.jpg

So with a lot of swap beers I like to just grab a random one from the fridge and give it a taste and quick evaluation before seeing whose and what beer it is.

Go to the fridge, No. 16. "Oh, that might be Snow's Rye ESB." Poured it, hang on - too black for an ESB. Who else had a dark beer in the swap?

Fkn idiot.

So, do I review my beer?

16. Parks Smoked Robust Porter

Needs more smoke! Pretty happy with it otherwise after cracking. I'll let you guys do the reviewing :)

1. Winkle/ Rowy/ Florian/ RdeV Collaboration: Barrel- Aged Belgian Imperial Chocolate Stout

Certainly hides the alcohol well as previously stated. Personally I think it's way too sour and it dominates the other awesomeness that should flow from the Belgian Imperial Chocolate Stout. That's just me personally with a very limited sour experience.

It might really smooth out if you guys keep the perpetual barrel thing going. I am pretty keen to get into this barrel sour thing one day soon...

Next up.
13 nicks liquid lunch ipa.
First thing I noticed on pouring was the clarity and head. Very appealing. Fruity aroma on the nose which. you expect to smell in an ipa I guess. Flavour is nice, quite subdued bitterness with a slight sweetness on the pallet. Not entirely what I was expecting but it does make it quite sessionable. well secrets?k is there any chance sharing secretes

IMAG0005.jpg

I thrive on thinking I've fooled people into thinking I haven't had a few.

Apparently I'm no-where near as successful as drunk Parks thinks he drunks :lol:

First one for me..
No. 13 Liquid Lunch IPA

Nice aroma of American C hops. Smooth bitterness with nice malt malt backbone. I agree with other comments, more of a strong APA than a IPA, needs some hops "punch" to it..
Very sessionable, great beer Nick.

Next..
No. 6 Liam Snorkel Smoked Ale..

Pours a lovely burnt amber colour, low carbonation, I let this sit for 10 minutes to bring out the malt/smoke flavours..
Lovely smoke aroma backed by a solid malt backbone, hop flavour and aroma balanced with the malt.
Has got some real solid smoke taste to it, but not over the top for me...
Should be best drunk at a BBQ..
Great beer mate, I enjoyed it.

Thanks guys,

I agree on the hops.

I even dry hopped this with Mosaic but for whatever reason, even though it's an exact clone of my last IPA, it's lacking hops....

Might brew another to see if I can correct the issues!

First beer of the night will be getting in my belly around 11....

Cheers

drinking 14. Earle - Roggenbier I do love this beer and have been lucky enough to try both earls batches and i can its never disappointing. malty slick spicy. i would love to track down a commercial example and try :chug:

Drinking..
14. Earle. Roggenbier

First time I've drunk this style..
Yumm.. Im a fan of Rye Malt, and this doesn't fail to please..
lovely amber colour, pouring into a dense slick head. Nice spicy bread aroma, carbonation is good,
drinks a lovely spicy, caramel flavours of the rye malt, very well balanced beer.
Earle mate... this is a cracker of a beer..
May have to get the recipe off you..
Well done..

Finishing off the last of the keg of my swap contribution to make way for Xmas beers. It's a hard life! I'm starting to notice a real toastiness which I think is due to using 40something% wey dark wheat. Sessionable (which was planned) but not as smokey as I'd hoped.. first time using wey smoked. I'm thinking about adding a small charge of peat smoked next time, have any of you done this (combined them)?

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1387687166.458552.jpg

Liam_snorkel said:
Finishing off the last of the keg of my swap contribution to make way for Xmas beers. It's a hard life! I'm starting to notice a real toastiness which I think is due to using 40something% wey dark wheat. Sessionable (which was planned) but not as smokey as I'd hoped.. first time using wey smoked. I'm thinking about adding a small charge of peat smoked next time, have any of you done this (combined them)?
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1387687166.458552.jpg
i have never combined the rauchmalt and peat malt but i would be going very easy on the peat. i have had a couple of peat smoked beers and i dont find them as enjoyable (to phenolic) as the raunchmalt

I've used peat smoked at about 20% before and it was pretty intense but still not unpleasant. What I meant was a small amount like 50-100g to compliment the wey smoked, which is pretty light on.

Liam_snorkel said:
I've used peat smoked at about 20% before and it was pretty intense but still not unpleasant. What I meant was a small amount like 50-100g to compliment the wey smoked, which is pretty light on.
yeah that would probably work well. a small amount of really dark spec malt like choc wheat or black malt will also add a bit more complexity maybe. only one way to find out :chug:

Latest posts

Back