Qld Xmas 2013 case swap * tasting thread *

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Ben I thought this was a homework free night?

TidalPete said:
Your carbonation levels are dropping out Beersuit. :p
A good descriptive post nevertheless.

Edit --- Beaten to it!
I hope not Pete. I don't like overly flat beer.

I got my arm twisted ;) wont mention any names cough cough rob v cough cough :p

^ I doubt rob would make you drink on your own.

Although he may threaten you into doing things.

"Beersuit I will burn your shed down unless you give me 5lts of that beer" (he says in a kind Zimbabwean voice).

I can see how he would make you drink beer against you wishes Ben. Lol.

Great to get some feedback on the collaboration beer.

Kudos to Winkle for getting the recipe setup and the barrel and everything else organised. My keg is still sitting in the fridge, I haven't even touched it yet other than to draw off two bottles which I have given to the three owners of one of the bigger Marlborough NZ wineries starting with G. Haven't had any feedback from them yet but am catching up again in late January, looking forward to getting some opinion from the wine buffs.

So first off the ranks for me last night was Benken's Spiced Pumpkin Ale.
spiced pumpkin ale - benken.JPG

Chosen because I thought it was probably the most unusual sounding beer.
Can I say not at all what I expected.
I couldn't taste any pumpkin which I thought I would, very fruity and somewhat like some of the belgian's that I've had before.
Very nice though. Though I will say definitely worth letting it warm up a fraction in the glass.
Found that as I drank it over around an hour whilst watching homeland last night I found that towards the end it was certainly much more flavoursome.
I'm sure someone with more experience tasting beer will be able to say much more about it.

Florian said:
Great to get some feedback on the collaboration beer.

Kudos to Winkle for getting the recipe setup and the barrel and everything else organised. My keg is still sitting in the fridge, I haven't even touched it yet other than to draw off two bottles which I have given to the three owners of one of the bigger Marlborough NZ wineries starting with G. Haven't had any feedback from them yet but am catching up again in late January, looking forward to getting some opinion from the wine buffs.
Yes it is good to get feedback on this beer. We got a lot more shiraz character from the barrel than I expected. We must sit down with a bottle of the original beer and the oak aged stuff for comparison Florian. I'll be CPBFing one of my kegs into PET bottles for Xmas distribution to friends.

leahy268 said:
So first off the ranks for me last night was Benken's Spiced Pumpkin Ale.
attachicon.gif
spiced pumpkin ale - benken.JPG

Chosen because I thought it was probably the most unusual sounding beer.
Can I say not at all what I expected.
I couldn't taste any pumpkin which I thought I would, very fruity and somewhat like some of the belgian's that I've had before.
Very nice though. Though I will say definitely worth letting it warm up a fraction in the glass.
Found that as I drank it over around an hour whilst watching homeland last night I found that towards the end it was certainly much more flavoursome.
I'm sure someone with more experience tasting beer will be able to say much more about it.
while i like this beer i dont think its as good as the first attempt i made. needs a touch more spice and more pumpkin of the top of my head there is about 3kgs of butternut pumpkin for 20L which is where alot of the colour comes from

4. Bradsbrew - Raspberry Stout - drink ASAP

Mate this was a fkn nice beer. The raspberry was spot on IMO. Every stout of yours I've tasted has been first class.

Definitely the best I've had so far (don't worry that it's the first ;))

Image to come...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Earle - Roggenbier

image.jpg

I really enjoyed this beer mate, über glad you decided to keep it in!

Poured a great red/amber colour, clear with a cm thick head that lasted to the bottom and laced well.
Might have been a little overcarbed.
I am not sure of the aroma, somebody more qualified will comment on this.
Mouthfeel is good, I am unsure of style though.

It's good!

Next one was the liquid lunch ipa no 13. Had it today at lunch. First day of my holidays where I wasn't going out after lunch so I could. .

Very nice. Maybe a little under carbed but I'm far from an expert. Lovely fragrance and a really easy drinking fruity beer though.

20131217_125711.jpg

Tonight was no 4. That fukn nice raspberry stout.
Not really had a lot of stout so I won't try and compare it to what one is supposed to taste like.

But damn...
You can't make a beer that nice without the recipe...
Even the mrs loves it and she usually isn't a fan of dark beers...
I certainly wouldn't have been upset if I'd had another 12 bottles of this to drink.
The mrs comment 'like drinking a dark chocolate cherry ripe.'

20131217_204336.jpg

Parks said:
4. Bradsbrew - Raspberry Stout - drink ASAP

Mate this was a fkn nice beer. The raspberry was spot on IMO. Every stout of yours I've tasted has been first class.

Definitely the best I've had so far (don't worry that it's the first ;))

Image to come...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
leahy268 said:
Tonight was no 4. That fukn nice raspberry stout.
Not really had a lot of stout so I won't try and compare it to what one is supposed to taste like.

But damn...
You can't make a beer that nice without the recipe...
Even the mrs loves it and she usually isn't a fan of dark beers...
I certainly wouldn't have been upset if I'd had another 12 bottles of this to drink.
The mrs comment 'like drinking a dark chocolate cherry ripe.'

attachicon.gif
20131217_204336.jpg
Thanks Fellas, should have a half-arsed scribbled recipe, that probably wasn't followed, around somewhere. I do know that I had three kegs of the same stout, only one got the raspberry though and was conditioning in the fridge for the last few months, before the raspberry.

Cheers

Ok... so I got a little carried away watching back to back Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D episodes last night and ended up having four swap beers. Little worse for wear this morning, but here it goes....

Leahy268 - Smurtos Golden Ale
Very fruity nose - almost too fruity. Notes of banana hint at some extra esters from high ferment temps. Flavour is more fruit with plenty of hops, but unfortunately it's all let down by noticeably polyphenolic flavours that indicate wild yeast infection. Funky "farmhouse" flavours with hints of rubber and band-aid. Sorry Warwick, I can tell the underlying beer is solid, but the infection has spoiled it.

NickB - Liquid Lunch IPA
Lovely floral, perfume aroma with hints of pine and citrus. Nice smooth bitterness with solid malt and light caramel flavours, followed by lingering floral and citrus hop flavours. A very nice IPA, a little "light-on" for my tastes (I would have called it an APA), but a great session beer nonetheless. Awesome job Nick!

Bradsbrew - Raspberry Stout
Holy Schmoley! This was a ******* awesome beer. Mrs Leahy was right - liquid cherry ripe! Beautiful aroma of raspberries, roast malt, chocolate, vanilla.... tasted beautiful with all this and more. Complex and improved as it warmed. Seriously good beer with no flaws. Would love to try an imperial version for extra "kick-arse". I NEED THE RECIPE!! In particular, I'm curious to know how you did the raspberries.

Liam_snorkel - smoked ale
Lovely light aroma of toasted malt, with a whiff of "bacon" smoke. Smooth flavours of biscuit-like malt, a hint of caramel, roast malt and very light smoke. A very nice sessionable brown ale. Nice one Liam!

Cheers - Snow

Ok... so I got a little carried away watching back to back Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D episodes last night and ended up having four swap beers. Little worse for wear this morning, but here it goes....

Very fruity nose - almost too fruity. Notes of banana hint at some extra esters from high ferment temps. Flavour is more fruit with plenty of hops, but unfortunately it's all let down by noticeably polyphenolic flavours that indicate wild yeast infection. Funky "farmhouse" flavours with hints of rubber and band-aid. Sorry Warwick, I can tell the underlying beer is solid, but the infection has spoiled it.

Yeah I know what you mean. Interestingly the bottles I put in the fridge 2 weeks after bottling were much nicer. Talking to Anthony and Martin the night they though it could have been the 10 L of tap water that I used in it. I don't have the knowledge or experience to comment. Love getting the feedback though....

Brad, you need to put that recipe up. This beer sounds like the Boatrocker Belgian raspberry stout I had at Mrs Parma - that beer was the best commercial beer I've had (most commercial IPA are no better than anything I make so don't count). This sounds like the homebrew version of it.

Snow said:
I was going to say something very similar last night. I picked it as Chlorophenyl? / rubber band and it did dominate unfortunately.

Warrick - did you de-chlorinate your water? I ruined about $50 worth of hops in an English IPA which turned out much the same before really sorting that out.

Liam_snorkel - smoked ale
This was another beautiful beer. Well balanced amount of smoke and caramel notes. I thought it was maybe a touch thin or lacking malt in the middle palette but that's if I'm being a carnt about it :)

14. Earle - Roggenbier
Another great one Earle. This was delicious too. I haven't had one before so couldn't really judge but a very well made beer.

9. Beersuit - Black as Pilsner (Kohatu Schwarzbier) - ready
This was a good one. I don't think it was chocolatey/smooth enough for a Schwarzbier - it was quite roasty. Very clean ferment. Could easily smash this down again and again. Fairly light body which assisted the sessionability.

Back