Nsw Xmas In July Case 2007 - Consumption

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
POMO'S OATMEAL STOUT
IIRC, the last few case swaps have seen me a little less than awed by the iron wolf brewery (and if this is not the case, PoMo, I apologise - I cant find any of my notes right now!). This is the case swap that has changed, cause I really enjoyed this beer. Like all stouts, it poured a jet black, the head was thick and WOULD have been persistent had I have cleaned my glassware last week like I was supposed to (went surfing, did a brew, went and visited a mate, etc...). The taste was a bit metallic at first, but it calmed down, the roastiness wasnt too over the top, medium bitterness, medium body, the carbonation was higher than I like in a stout, but not OTT. I dont think that there was enough oatmeal presence in there, but that is being picky.
Very nice beer, mate, you should be proud of your first AG stout.
All the best
Trebt

DJR's Altbier
Nice beer, Ben. Clear with a nice, reddish colour. Balanced to malt, with strong, rich malts there to enjoy. Putting on my pointy, white BJCP cap and gown, I'd have to say that it's probably doesn't have the hop bitterness to be a Dusseldorf Alt, and it's got far too much yummy malts to be a North German Altbier. But it's certainly a delicious altbier, which is all that matters. :chug:

Shonky's IPA
I did know the history of this beer which might have swayed my judgement, but this bottle certainly seemed to be suffering from some oxidation damage. Despite that, it was an enjoyable beer. Again, some rich malts there to enjoy. Again, my point hat says that it could do with more hops to be truer to style. (It might be partly due to my addiction to hops I guess. ;) )

Slurpdog's Choccy Porter
This was a while ago, and I drank it while the Socceroos crashed out, so I lost the will to post that night. :rolleyes: It was a good porter, clean and rich. I think it could do with a bit more body to be a porter, and IMO it would be best to use a different yeast. US-56 tends to leave a dark beer a bit thin I find, and I think if you used a lower attenuating yeast, it'd leave more body and maltiness. But it was certainly drunk with appreciation as is. :super:

POMO'S OATMEAL STOUT
IIRC, the last few case swaps have seen me a little less than awed by the iron wolf brewery (and if this is not the case, PoMo, I apologise - I cant find any of my notes right now!). This is the case swap that has changed, cause I really enjoyed this beer. Like all stouts, it poured a jet black, the head was thick and WOULD have been persistent had I have cleaned my glassware last week like I was supposed to (went surfing, did a brew, went and visited a mate, etc...). The taste was a bit metallic at first, but it calmed down, the roastiness wasnt too over the top, medium bitterness, medium body, the carbonation was higher than I like in a stout, but not OTT. I dont think that there was enough oatmeal presence in there, but that is being picky.
Very nice beer, mate, you should be proud of your first AG stout.
All the best
Trebt

Cheers Trent,

This is my third case beer. Xmas 05 I put in a Porter that was decent, if a little thin, but I don't recall your specific comments. Last July I f&*%ed up and oxidised the beer on the way to the bottling bucket, so it was, in short, wet cardboard. I mean we all make a bad beer from time to time, but why does it always have to be for a case swap :) Pretty happy with this one in comparison. The metallic taste might be the Epsom Salts and/or gypsum? I was aiming for a slightly minerally water to go with the dark malt and Whitbread yeast, sounds like I may have overdone the Magnesium, or it may have been the no-name caps :D Anyway, glad you liked it.

Knocked back Josh's German Pilsner last night. Nice and pale, very clear and a really fine foamy head. A really smooth refreshing pilsner that I should've saved for a nice warm spring weekend in the sun. Top work, Josh!

Ok well i have finally begun to get into the case beers and here are my thoughts so far ....

#28 Forkboy - Fastastic Rich reddy color when held up to a light , nice carbonation ,
definate chocolatey taste , excellent clarity ,held a lasting head
very nice brew, pity it went down so fast and there was only one bottle...
2nd Glass was a bit warmer and brought out some nice roasty flavours,
definately a better beer a few degrees warmer...

#5 Slurpdog - One of these days im going to realise that when drinking a porter or stout
i really do need to get it out of the fridge a while before i plan to start drinking it .
for some reason i had a tricky time pouring this one without it foaming up in the jug ,
transfered to a glass and it poured fine , by the time id finished the glass the jug had
settled so it was all good in the end...
again another fine beer, great color , nice lacey head all the way till the end
, some nice hoppy flavors in the background give a good warming bitter feel about it ...
great work Slurpdog

had pic of forkboys beer but for some reason cant add it...

Remembered I had better post some more comments, sorry that they are a bit vague:

DJR's Alt - loved it & so did the Mrs.

POMOs oatmeal. - I think I quite enjoyed it (i took it as the last of 6 different homebrews to "educate" a few friends @ a BBQ on Sat night. They started out light with belgian blonde & got progressively darker) So Sorry POMO, by the time we got to it, my note taking receptors were mainly disengaged. :blink:

Barramundi's Robust Porter - To me, it needed a bit more body & dryness. Maybe next time try something other than US56 cause I've found its attenuation & flavour profile can "bland out" (I think I just created a new term B) ) an otherwise fine brew. You should be happy with this for your 1st AG.

Forkboy's Chocolate Porter - really enjoyed this can you send me more?

Slurpdog's Choccy Porter - was really enjoyable one cold night last week.

Shonky's IPA - The cap top was rusty & i continued to detect metalic flavours through both glasses - oxidation?? I kept tasting K&K "tang". Sorry shonky, but this one didn't do a lot for me. :(

Beers

Crozdog

2. Josh's - German Pilsner

Wow, thats all I can say! :lol:
This is a top example of the style (and one of my favourites), bright and clear with such a beautiful fluffy white head that lasts all the way to the last sip. Such a great taste too, crisp, clean and not to bitter. What was your hop schedule Josh? Also what was the alc%? That long neck got me a bit pissy! :blink:

I can only hope my attempt at this style comes out as good as your one. Well done.

Got your Oatmeal stout in the fridge cooling now PM.

Cheers
DK
Thanks DK.

Recipe is as follows:

93% Weyerman Pils malt
3.5% Carapils malt
3.5% Wheat malt
mashed at 64C

2g/L Halertau @ 20, 10 and 0 minutes
Bittered with Halertau to 36BU
OG 1.042 FG 1.014 abv 4.5%?
Pitched onto WLP800 Pilsner yeast cake of secondary ferm of a German Pils with similar specs.

Homebrewworld's APA: I'm going through a real APA phase at the moment. I reckon I've polished off almost every American Ale in the case! :D . This one is no slouch either, I'm really enjoying it. It doesn't have a huge hop hit, which is fine, but the hops are certainly still prominent. I can't find a recipe for it in the database, but it tastes like possibly a chinook/centennial/columbus type hop in there. HBW, please correct me if I'm wrong. Great colour and crystal clear. Love the groovy bottle too! Great beer mate, I'm enjoying every gulp! :chug:

Crozdog's IRA

An attractive copper brown colour with a little bit of haze. Not much head, maybe my glass isn't as clean as it should be. There is something funny going on in the smell - kind of like cola, maybe even a bit like band-aid. Not unpleasant, just doesn't feel like it should be there. There is a solid maltiness in the taste which is great. The bitterness is subdued which provides an excellent balance as the beer finishes quite dry. This is a nice quaffing beer thanks Crozdog, I reckon you're spot on to style. Cheers.

Edit - I just read Les's comments - I think I got the same thing he got from this beer but I interpreted it differently.

Thommo's Blonde Ale: Great beer Thommo! Mine's crystal clear. There's a flavour in there that is familiar but I can't put my finger on it though. Perhaps its a high-ish FG??? Got heaps of body for such a light coloured beer. I reckon our mate Jared would be a huge fan of this beer by the way, he is a bit of a master of the blonde ale these days! Great beer mate, really enjoying it!

Homebrewworld's APA

Amber in colour with a tight white persistent head and just the slightest haze. A delicious hop aroma - reminded me of tropical fruit, maybe melons and berries too. The malt flavour is outstanding with lots of nice toasty nutty flavours in there. The bitterness is on the high side of medium, perfect for the style. The finish is long and satisfying and dry enough to be extremely drinkable. I reckon this is a top shelf example of an APA, nice work.

GOATHERDER'S BOCK
Crystal clear deep copper to brown colour, with a moderate white head that dissipates slowly. Slightly metallic aroma, that is also toasty and almost a little roasty. No fruitiness or hops that I can detect. Quite a nice toasty flavour, that almost has a hint of raisins to it, or at least suggests some dark fruits. Low bitterness, some residual sweetness, bitterness is just high enough to keep the malt in check. Very clean flavour, medium full body with med-low carbonation. No real alcohol warming, I am assuming it is down around the lower end of the scale? Very malty and nice, I may be drinking it a touch too warm, but it is the perfect thing for a chilly winters night.
Very nice beer, Goatherder, thanks for sharing it with us. Now I am gonna go and finish the rest of the bottle!
All the best
Trent

Had Trent's complimentary IPA last night. Really nice one mate. A nice medium hoppy bitterness, and kind of sweet too. Beautiful amber colour and a thick head. My IPA attempt wasn't too far off this, but lacked the same bittersweetness of yours. Top work Trent! :beer:

Just posted the Stormwater Special Bitter in the recipe section if anybody's interested.

Will add a few more tasting notes soon also :chug:

Currently drinking Redbeards Pale Ale.
I noticed that Redbeard claimed that the beer had low carbonation, but no sooner than I cracked the seal, the beer was jumping out of the bottle. My bottle carbonaton was very high
I guess I'm lucky in that I have a few Coopers Pale Ale's in the fridge at the moment so I'm using that as the base.
I'm not familiar with specific style guidelines but this beer is just like the Coopers version except with a bit more guts.
The flavour profiles are very similar, it's just that Redbeards version has more flavour.
I'm getting more yeast and bready aromas on the nose, than malt, but it's certainly not unpleasant. In fact it's VERY drinkable.
The yeast also comes through on the palate with some mild malt flavour, but its the finish that really shines.
A mild hop bitterness that is there from the second you swallow, and lingers for a good time there after.
I like it. Thanks redbeard!

Thommo's Blonde Ale: Great beer Thommo! Mine's crystal clear. There's a flavour in there that is familiar but I can't put my finger on it though. Perhaps its a high-ish FG??? Got heaps of body for such a light coloured beer. I reckon our mate Jared would be a huge fan of this beer by the way, he is a bit of a master of the blonde ale these days! Great beer mate, really enjoying it!

I'm in to Thommo's offering as well and I can't really pick that flavour either.
Beautiful carbonation and a persistant head.
The nose is what really grabbed me about this beer.
It's like vanilla icecream all the way. I swear if you took a deep sniff of a bowl of vanilla icecream, and a sniff of this beer they would be exactly the same.
It's even creamy on the palate!
I agree with TD in that the FG was probably high because there is some residual sweetness there, but it matches the rest of the beer beautifully.
Next time you're brewing this one Thommo pls let me know. I'd be happy to pay for the extra ingredients to make a double batch and take this one home.
Definitely a standout beer for me. :chug:

28. Forkboy's Choc Porter:
Yet another gorgeous dark. Shared this one with a mate who really loved it. His other half got plum flavours from it. Had a really nice hop aroma to it, and was really smooth and very enjoyable. Nice work forkboy.

1. Thommo's Blonde Ale:
Man, what a clear beer. This one poured beautifully, and was another really silky smooth ale. Pretty low on the hops all round IMO, and I swear it was almost "commercial", not homebrew, as there was no yeast gunk at all. (Thommo, please take that last comment as a compliment... I can see how it could be taken as an insult! ). A really top effort. Perfectly matched with a red beef curry.
Pete

Don't be scared!

Seth :beer:

27 Teninch Brewery Gose

I have never tried this style before and after all the talk was not really sure what to expect.
Anyway here goes.
First glass poured slightly cloudy with a nice thick creamy white head.
Appears very light in colour and well carbonated - looks almost champagne like - well cloudy champagne :p
The aroma is wheat and corriander with some phenolics.
The taste - yes the salt is there but the wheat and corriander are there also.
The salt seems to bring forward the bitterness / acidity and make the beer seem fuller.
Having said all that the finish is beatifully tart and dry.
Does any of that make any sense :huh:
The second glass was decidedly more cloudy but just as enjoyable - seem to get more corriander this time round.
An excellent beer Les - despite initial trepidations I really enjoyed it and could have drank more - Thanks.
Fancy a Roggenbier - Gose swap some time? :D

Cheers,

Craig

27 Teninch Brewery Gose

I have never tried this style before and after all the talk was not really sure what to expect.
Anyway here goes.
First glass poured slightly cloudy with a nice thick creamy white head.
Appears very light in colour and well carbonated - looks almost champagne like - well cloudy champagne :p
The aroma is wheat and corriander with some phenolics.
The taste - yes the salt is there but the wheat and corriander are there also.
The salt seems to bring forward the bitterness / acidity and make the beer seem fuller.
Having said all that the finish is beatifully tart and dry.
Does any of that make any sense :huh:
The second glass was decidedly more cloudy but just as enjoyable - seem to get more corriander this time round.
An excellent beer Les - despite initial trepidations I really enjoyed it and could have drank more - Thanks.
Fancy a Roggenbier - Gose swap some time? :D

Cheers,

Craig
Craig,

maybe swap a Berliner weisse, which is on my "to do" list. I'm not likely to make another Gose very soon.

Go the "weird beers". The Gose is a very quirky style and certainly not for everyone. Always good to be able to say that you've had one, though, I reckon.

Seth out

Seth, I saw Doc last week at the Hills Brewers Guild meeting, and mentioned I tried your Gose. He had a laugh and said his attempt was pretty f.ing salty (can't really remember much else... but I usually get that on those nights).
As you've mentioned, it's good to say you've tried it once. That's what brewing and tasting's all about!
Pete

Back