Nsw Xmas In July Case 2007 - Consumption

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shonkys IPA

Carb was ok with a thin white head that lasted. Didnt take note of the clarity
when cold, but once warmed up was pretty clear. Nice coppery light brown colour,
with a slight alcoholic/sweet malty aroma. Sweet caramely/alcohol flavour with good
bitterness.
Another nice beer, thanks.

7. Shonky's IPA

Had this tonight, even though I'm coming down with something. Really liked this beer. Kind of reminded me a bit of Old Peculiar. Did any one else get this??? Really liked it. If you don't post it in the recipe section, then please PM me the recipe. This is pretty similar to something I've been trying to brew myself and haven't come close too. Mind you, never thought of using a Coopers culture in it. Top work. BTW, my bottle was the perfect carbonation for the style IMO.

Cheers,

Thommo.

27: Les the Weisguy's Gose.
Had this one with some fish and chips. Bad mix I think. Slight salt overload (mainly thanks to the chips) Anyway, the first glass was pretty nice., very interesting. The saltiness was there in the background but not too overpowering. On second pouring it was a bit of a struggle to get down, but none went down the sink... Maybe a stubby of this at a time, not a full longneck IMHO. . Cheers for that Seth. Oh, what was the %?

DJR's Schwartzbier (complimentary)
really nice beer mate. Big roasty flavours, big on the tongue, but easy to drink. Black as night, and a nice thin head. Top stuff.
I'll post pic's for these later...
Pete

27: Les the Weisguy's Gose.
Had this one with some fish and chips. Bad mix I think. Slight salt overload (mainly thanks to the chips) Anyway, the first glass was pretty nice., very interesting. The saltiness was there in the background but not too overpowering. On second pouring it was a bit of a struggle to get down, but none went down the sink... Maybe a stubby of this at a time, not a full longneck IMHO. . Cheers for that Seth. Oh, what was the %?

DJR's Schwartzbier (complimentary)
really nice beer mate. Big roasty flavours, big on the tongue, but easy to drink. Black as night, and a nice thin head. Top stuff.
I'll post pic's for these later...
Pete
Pete (and everyone else),

the alcohol was about 4.5% from memory. Will confirm later with the help of my Beersmith and notes.

Seth

Thanks for all the feedback on my beer, good and bad. It was a bit of an experimental so thanks for being guinea pigs :beerbang: . I have posted the recipe on the forum Thommo glad you liked it. Ditto Punter. Sorry DK that you didn't enjoy it, hope I didn't screw up the sanitation in the bottling, I have a feeling though that the 'weird metallic' taste is actually how they all are. I was aiming to ferment at 20-21 to bring out some bananary (sic) esters but had a couple of hot days (seems like a long time ago now) and I think I cooked it slightly. Definitely some funky flavours in this one, and I wont be offended if people don't like it. It did remind me of some of the stronger real and bottled ales from my old home in England though but these days it is rare to find a beer with noticeable fusels/esters in it. Some ex-pats might enjoy!

I have tried a few, here are my thoughts so far

Redbeard Pale Ale - Sorry Craig I had a gusher as well. It was beutifully clear before I opened it but the yeast got all stirred up. Still a nice drop but unfortunately the yeast did overpower the flavours a bit.

DJR's Alt - Never tried an alt before but REALLY enjoyed this one Ben and will be trying to hunt some down and attempting one myself after this. Great balance, soft creamy malty depths. A real pleasure thanks :beer:

TD's Honey Brown Lager - Another first and again a beauty. Polished this off in no time Tim and was left wanting another. Balanced, clean but with some enticing but subdued malty complexity. Loved it. Cheers :super:

Shonky

I finally got hold of my case this afternoon. I've been reading the reviews with envy while I waited. Anyhow, here it goes...

Craig's Roggenbier

It's been ages since I pulled out the weizen glass and this did it justice - a deep amber colour with a huge fluffy white head, driven by the lively carbonation. The nose is complex. I detect some esters but the balance is towards the phenolic. There's also a spiciness in there which I assume is the rye. I tastes loads of bready malt and a nice hint of bananery ester, enhanced by the pleasant sweetness. This beer is really drinkable with a silky smooth mouthfeel. Thanks Craig, this is just what I felt like. It's a very balanced, well made beer which was the perfect first beer for me in the case. My wife is requesting a case of this. From you.

DJR's Alt

Wow, absolutely crystal clear. It's a very attractive deep copper colour with a small yet persistant head. There is a delicious floral hop aroma - what did you use? Sitting in behind this is a big malty presence. Nice. The first taste is sweet and malty, quickly followed by a good bitter whack which balances then dominates. The malt is rich and complex and finish is long and very satisfying. I was very much looking forward to this as it is my first taste of an Altbier. Very timely as I will be making one next week. I hope it turns out something like this. Have you posted a recipe?

LES' GOSE
Well, I tried this one with a few boys from Murray's last night, and it poured not TOO bad for the first quarter, but after that quickly turned quite milky. I gave myself the last glass, and jeez it was cloudy! Anyway, the aroma was strong of sea salt, and the flavour was pretty much the same. There was definitely some coriander in there, and some tartness, but the salt just dominated for myself, and the others that I shared it with. Shawn said it looked and tasted like grapefruit juice! Like a bad taster, I had tried a few other beers beforehand, so couldnt get the full effect, but really got the salt. I tried hard to like this one, I really wanted to like a beer this wierd, but I am afraid that I just couldnt wrap my head around it. Thanks alot for sharing, and going to the trouble of making such a strange and unuasual beer that no one I know has ever tried before, but, to quote you, it just wasnt my cup of weissbier.
All the best
Trent

REDBEARD'S PALE ALE
The first thing I noticed about this beer, was that it was quite pale, not as pale as a budweiser, but a really faint kinda yellow. It was quite cloudy, and it wasnt a gusher (cause I opened it very carefully), but it was very lively. The aroma was quite yeasty, and I could see how others have said there is a belgian character there, cause I got it in the aroma, and definitely in the taste. Not much hops at all, just that yeastiness.
Then I got to thinking, last night I tried a beer (not mine) that had been fined, and then matured by complete accident in a fermenter that had held a lambic. The "fine" beer then went cloudy, and although it tasted surprisingly good (I like bret), it was the cloudiness that got me thinking about a possible similar accident with your beer. SO, I held the bottle up to the light, and on the bottle I received, there was a distinct ring around the neck where the beer had been, a tell tale sign of an infection, and I only know this because I have just had a run of beers that started to get that yeasty flavour, and cloud up a little. Sadly, all of them have had that ring around the neck of the bottle, right where the beer sat.
After seeing this, I changed my bottling wand, and for 6 batches had no problems, but the third last batch (an APA) I bottled had that tell tale ring form around the neck of the beer fairly quickly, so the last 2 batches are being monitored closely, and I am seriously considering throwing all the fermenters and hoses I have, and getting new ones, cause it is probably a brewhouse infection. The stout I put in the case swap seems to be OK.
I suggest that you look closely at the neck of all your latest batches, and if there are rings around the neck, also consider replacing everything. You spend 6 hours per batch making it good, its a small price to pay to make sure it gets to the glass in the same condition.
All the best
Trent

I just happen to have another cube ready and waiting :)

Tell Mrs Goatherder I am sure we can work something out ;)

Cheers,

Craig
Hang on a minute Craig. Let's think who tasted this beer first and recommended it.

Hmmm still, maybe it's best to to put Mrs Goatherder first in line. If not because I'm a true gentleman, then because "Mrs Goatherder" is a truly ugly name and I feel sorry for her in a huge way. :lol: ...and I'm sure she's a great woman!

Very, very nice beer though, and I'm glad to have tasted it. Thanks Craig

Seth :p
(*edited in many places to correct/add content)

I just tasted my brew, #25 Oatmeal stout. It's ready, for those who are game. I'm pretty happy with my first AG stout and hope you guys enjoy it, too.

Les,

I've had your Gose in the fridge for about 4-5 days now and the haze has settled to about the bottom 1/3 of the bottle. Should I just pour off the clear beer and leave the hazy stuff or is the haze an integral part of the beer?

Just to clarify before I open it tonight. (EDIT: Pardon the pun)

Cheers,
Rob.

2. Josh's - German Pilsner

Wow, thats all I can say! :lol:
This is a top example of the style (and one of my favourites), bright and clear with such a beautiful fluffy white head that lasts all the way to the last sip. Such a great taste too, crisp, clean and not to bitter. What was your hop schedule Josh? Also what was the alc%? That long neck got me a bit pissy! :blink:

I can only hope my attempt at this style comes out as good as your one. Well done.

Got your Oatmeal stout in the fridge cooling now PM.

Cheers
DK

Hang on a minute Craig. Let's think who tasted this beer first and recommended it.

Hmmm still, maybe it's best to to put Mrs Goatherder first in line. If not because I'm a true gentleman, then because "Mrs Goatherder" is a truly ugly name and I feel sorry for her in a huge way. :lol: ...and I'm sure she's a great woman!

Very, very nice beer though, and I'm glad to have tasted it. Thanks Craig

Seth :p
(*edited in many places to correct/add content)

Whoops sorry Les - I am sure a can send a six pack your way too :p

Cheers,

Craig the Roggenguy

Josh's German Pilsner

This one is very pale, almost crystal clear and plenty of visible bubbles keeping the head aloft. There is a delicious hop aroma - a little spicy, maybe a bit fruity, I can't quite put my finger on it. An initial sweetness quickly gives way to a solid hoppy bitterness which lingers into the dry finish. The beer is superbly balanced while having the dryness and high bitterness of the style. I was really looking forward to this beer after Josh's contribution last time round and I'm in no way disappointed. Top drop thanks Josh.

Les,

I've had your Gose in the fridge for about 4-5 days now and the haze has settled to about the bottom 1/3 of the bottle. Should I just pour off the clear beer and leave the hazy stuff or is the haze an integral part of the beer?

Just to clarify before I open it tonight. (EDIT: Pardon the pun)

Cheers,
Rob.
Rob,

Hope I'm not too late with a suggestion.

AFAIK, the haze is not part of this style; and is merely a by-product of my misguided brewing.
I suggest you pour off the clear beer and taste it..., but still give the cloudy stuff a go, in the second glass (perhaps). Not much diffference in flavour I reckon, but a world of difference in appearance.

I may sample my Gose later tonight after I bottle the passionfuit lager (K/K brew using Canadian Blonde tin + brew sugar and 2 cans of passionfuit pulp on WL - SF lager yeast ). It's just one weird beer after another.

Seth

Slurpdog's Choccy Porter

Very dark, yet not dark enough to hide the excellent clarity. Ruby red highlights shine through when held up to the light, contrasting with the ample off-white head. This is a very nice looking beer. There is a good whiff of choc malt along with some yeast esters, smells delicious. There is loads of choc in the taste - really rounded and satisfying. The bitterness is well balanced - I don't like my porters overly bitter so I think this is spot on. The carbonation was a little higher than I like it but by the time I got to my 2nd pour it was good. Great beer thanks Slurpdog, I very much enjoyed it.

Rob,

Hope I'm not too late with a suggestion.

AFAIK, the haze is not part of this style; and is merely a by-product of my misguided brewing.
I suggest you pour off the clear beer and taste it..., but still give the cloudy stuff a go, in the second glass (perhaps). Not much diffference in flavour I reckon, but a world of difference in appearance.

I may sample my Gose later tonight after I bottle the passionfuit lager (K/K brew using Canadian Blonde tin + brew sugar and 2 cans of passionfuit pulp on WL - SF lager yeast ). It's just one weird beer after another.

Seth

Haven't opened it yet, Seth. Maybe later on this evening. In the meantime, I've been tasting porters.

4. Barramundi - Robust Porter - US 56 - bottled 26/5/07
Nice clear pour of a ruby coloured porter. Distinct hop flavour, quite in style for a US porter. Nice hint of roast malt, some dried fruit flavours and a clean finish, Very nice ale, cheers!

28. Forkboy - Chocolate Porter (WLP007) - ready to drink
While also a porter, this beer is almost at the opposite end of the style to Barra's beer, except they are both similar in (nice and low) bitterness. Pours almost black but with ruby highlights when held up to the light. Sweet and caramel, and very distinct chocolate flavours. Delicious and luscious. Quite a beer. Cheers, Fork! Enjoyed this one a lot (as did Aldona and the kids, Dante has declared it his favourite beer ever and coming from a 5 year old, that's high praise...:) )

27.Les the Weizguy - Gose

Going to stream of consciousness post while I drink this pint. Apologies if it's long-winded, but I think a brave attempt at seldom trodden ground deserves a little verbaciosness.

Pours a very pale, cloudy pint. Aroma of the ocean and citrus. A metallic sort of twang (I'm a fan of salty food, so I don't yet notice too much salt, although there is a hint of it).

There is a slight phenolic aroma as well, but I don't taste much phenol. It's much more mild than I was expecting.

My palate mught be out of whack from the porters and hoppy beers I had earlier. Going to eat a cracker and rinse my mouth out with water.

Can taste the brackishness now and it's quite tart. Still no phenolics and only a mild saltiness... I think I'm blind to phenols, salt and smoke flavour. (Note to self: Should quit smoking. Justification in reply to self: but I keep finding things like the tobacconist near work who has American Marlborough Reds, and the bastards have released a Blue between the Red and the Mild, so it's hard to quit with those new varieties on the market... still, it would let me taste beers a whole lot better... ) but I digress.

A few more sips down and I pick out the coriander notes.

Overall, I commend thee, Seth on your brave attempt at this style. A little work on the haze, perhaps balancing the saltiness a little with the tartness and spice, but overall, I'd say not a bad beer at all. (No pouring down the sink here!). Looking at this page, it seems that cloudiness is quite normal in the style. Don't neck yourself over it. But, dare I say it, maybe a little ~more~ lactic sourness would not go astray.

Overall, an interesting beer. Thanks for introducing me to the style.

Cheers, Fork! Enjoyed this one a lot (as did Aldona and the kids, Dante has declared it his favourite beer ever and coming from a 5 year old, that's high praise...:) )

Thanks PoMo, clearly Dante is a beer judging prodigy ;)

Back