Nsw Xmas In July Case 2007 - Consumption

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had 2 great beers tonight: :beer:

Josh's German Pils - Top beer this - crystal clear very pale in colour, head renention was excellent even in my poorly washed glassware! Nicley bitter but with good malt / hop balance. Wish I had another couple of these. Thanks Josh

Goatherders Bock - Things got even better when I cracked this one. I am having trouble putting this one into words - big and malty, very well balanced, super smooth and soooo easy to drink. Tight cream head that held to the very end. Top beer Scott again I wish I had more of this one.

Cheers,

Craig

Cheers for the kind words PoMo and Craig. Glad you liked it.

Any chance of a recipe?

No probs.

Goatherder's Casebock

All grains Weyermann
30% Vienna
30% Munich I
29% Munich II
7% Melanoidin
3% Caramunich III
1 % Carafa Special I

Mashed at 67 to OG 1.068 (although I undershot this batch a bit)

90 Min Boil
Hallertauer Mittlefrueh at 70 min to 20 IBU
Hallertauer Mittlefrueh at 30 min to 6 IBU
Total 26 IBU

Big pitch of Wyeast Oktoberfest Blend (2633) from slurry at 10 degrees for 3 weeks.
Condition until clear.

13. T.D. - Honey-Brown Lager
Lovely colour and good carbonation and head. Nice malty aroma. Flavour was a bit of cream and moccha. However, there was a little bit of astringency or oxidation I could detect. Maybe tannins? Would have been a very nice beer without this.

18. Kabooby - Vienna lager (saflager S23)

Nice pale amber colour. Refreshing amount of carbonation. Nice roasty flavour and a noticeable hit of noble hops. Hallertau? Very nice tasty beer. I'm going to get some Vienna and try this out.

No probs.

Goatherder's Casebock

All grains Weyermann
30% Vienna
30% Munich I
29% Munich II
7% Melanoidin
3% Caramunich III
1 % Carafa Special I

Mashed at 67 to OG 1.068 (although I undershot this batch a bit)

90 Min Boil
Hallertauer Mittlefrueh at 70 min to 20 IBU
Hallertauer Mittlefrueh at 30 min to 6 IBU
Total 26 IBU

Big pitch of Wyeast Oktoberfest Blend (2633) from slurry at 10 degrees for 3 weeks.
Condition until clear.

Thanks Scott :beerbang:
Might have to brew this next - before the weather gets too much warmer.

Cheers,

Craig

8 - Stuster's Biere de Garde

A nice looking ambre biere. Thick sticky head that just won't let go of the glass. Excellent lacing. A musty, yeasty aroma and an enticing amber/brown colour with lots of bubbles. Sadly my second glass got a bit of yeast in it, so it's hazy. The first was brilliant and clear. The flavour is a complex blend of caramel malts, bitterness and yeast driven esters. Surprisingly I don't notice the alcohol on the palate (although it is a little warm) but do in the head :) I've got goatherder's bock lined up next. Might have to wait a few hours! LOL

A very nice beer. Thanks for sharing this Stu.

Had Stuster's Bier de Garde the other night. The flavours were struggling to compete with some heavily Chicken-salted chips, so I needed a glass of water nearby to help me attempt to get my tastebuds back to neutral... A lesson learnt. Pretty much, I have to agree with what PoMo said about it.
Nice reddish brown colour, light foamy head. Poured clear initially, but got cloudier at the end of the longneck.
Yep, caramelly, and kinda fruity. A nice beer to have while watching The Departed... jeez what a struggle.
Thanks Stuster.

Tried one of Trent's extra bottles last night, labelled "104 Porter".
Wow, this was the most interesting Porters I've ever had.
First of all, it shot out of the bottle upon opening, lucky I was near the sink. Didn't lose too much, and once poured, the head was pretty good (well, once the initial schooner of froth was enjoyed!)
Had the usual flavours I've come to expect from a porter, I'm guessing american styled hops here.
What really blew me away was the fruitiness, which I've never really had in a porter before.
It was a really top combination, Trent. :beer:

Pete
I would LOVE to say that the high carbonation, fruitiness and porter flavours were by design, however I think that sounds like a low level infection (low level as it was bottled 4 months ago, and is still somewhat drinkable). Hate to admit it, but thats what it sounds (and looks) like
If you recall back to my post on Redbeard's pale ale, and I mentioned the ring around the neck of the beer, and I said that I also had those in some beers? Yeah, well this beer has a definite ring around the neck, as do several other of my batches from a few months back. It APPEARS (knock on wood) that I have eliminated this bug from my brewhouse through changing all my hoses, and an almost OCD cleaning routine, and hopefully, if you rip the top off one of my beers in future, there shall be no gushing.
Thanks for the warning, though. Off to tip the rest of that batch down the sink.
All the best
Trent

EDIT No american hops, only english hops to bitter.

Pete
I would LOVE to say that the high carbonation, fruitiness and porter flavours were by design, however I think that sounds like a low level infection (low level as it was bottled 4 months ago, and is still somewhat drinkable). Hate to admit it, but thats what it sounds (and looks) like
If you recall back to my post on Redbeard's pale ale, and I mentioned the ring around the neck of the beer, and I said that I also had those in some beers? Yeah, well this beer has a definite ring around the neck, as do several other of my batches from a few months back. It APPEARS (knock on wood) that I have eliminated this bug from my brewhouse through changing all my hoses, and an almost OCD cleaning routine, and hopefully, if you rip the top off one of my beers in future, there shall be no gushing.
Thanks for the warning, though. Off to tip the rest of that batch down the sink.
All the best
Trent

EDIT No american hops, only english hops to bitter.
Trent, I'm having a bit of a chuckle here at your reply, and my inability to spot an infected beer.
Yep I did see the ring when I washed the tallie, and the thought did cross my mind... that and something about high temp's causing fruity flavours from the yeast... am I right?

Still, I reckon as far as infected beers go, it was tops!
I reckon its worthy of serving to those less-than-welcome guests, rather than the drain.
Wish my dodgy batches turned out that good :D :beer:

Pete
Yep, higher fermentation temps, especially with that yeast (1084) will cause fruity flavours which are also called esters. I try not to get fruity esters in my porters, but ya cant win em all! Glad ya liked the beer anyway.
All the best
T

Les's Gose

Cloudy and very pale on the pour with a large persistent white head. Plenty of carbonation keeps a steady stream of bubbles rising from the bottom of my pilsner glass. The aroma is quite complex. There is peach and bubblegum, wheat and some clove and peppery phenlolics. Whilst the nose suggests some sweetness, there isn't much to speak of in the palate. The beer is crisp and dry up front, followed by smooth wheat and a nice fruity hop flavour. The salt takes a second or two to register - it enhances the dryness at first before identifying itself as saltiness. The salt is more evident in the aftertaste than anywhere else. The finish is as crisp as the opening, making this a very easy to drink and refreshing beer. The salt is not as dominant as I was expecting - you realise it is there but it falls away quickly leaving you wanting more. The only side effect is the feeling in the mouth like you have been feasting on salty snacks.

I'm realising now what a huge challenge this beer was. No commercial examples, a few scattered descriptions of the beer, the chance of the salt making it undrinkable and it gets sent to 27 brewers around the state. It's a complex, interesting and drinkable beer, expertly made. Thanks for being brave enough to have a crack at it Les, it was awesome.

After planning a move of house and various other things, haven't been into the case as much as I would like.

But... pulled a random from the case straight from the garage (about 14C on a cold Sydney day) and turned up number 17 - beer slayer's oatmeal stout.

very impressive brew - love it! Nice and roasty, medium sweet, but not over the top and the sort of strong lingering bitterness I enjoy. Balances on the bitter side, which is what I like. Nice full mouthfeel; smooth and silky.

Not sure how it suites the style, but it's certainly a very nice drop to my taste!

nicely done mr slayer :)

Les's Gose

Cloudy and very pale on the pour with a large persistent white head. Plenty of carbonation keeps a steady stream of bubbles rising from the bottom of my pilsner glass. The aroma is quite complex. There is peach and bubblegum, wheat and some clove and peppery phenlolics. Whilst the nose suggests some sweetness, there isn't much to speak of in the palate. The beer is crisp and dry up front, followed by smooth wheat and a nice fruity hop flavour. The salt takes a second or two to register - it enhances the dryness at first before identifying itself as saltiness. The salt is more evident in the aftertaste than anywhere else. The finish is as crisp as the opening, making this a very easy to drink and refreshing beer. The salt is not as dominant as I was expecting - you realise it is there but it falls away quickly leaving you wanting more. The only side effect is the feeling in the mouth like you have been feasting on salty snacks.

I'm realising now what a huge challenge this beer was. No commercial examples, a few scattered descriptions of the beer, the chance of the salt making it undrinkable and it gets sent to 27 brewers around the state. It's a complex, interesting and drinkable beer, expertly made. Thanks for being brave enough to have a crack at it Les, it was awesome.
Yeah, I think it came out OK. With no commercial examples to hand, it's hard to say how close it was to the mark, but I based it on the recipe in BYO, from Horst Dornbusch. Surely, a man with a name like that has an idea about German wheat beers. I'm happy enough with it, and it may be while b4 I brew it agaiin, but I'd surely do an extended acid rest first (despite the cloudiness), and work on other solutions for the haze.

Thanks for the kudos, but if case swappers don't enjoy it, it's a failure. I reckon that the goal, when brewing, is to make a beer (that may be freaky), but can be enjoyed in it's own right. I hope I met the goal with ths beer. Seems like you coped admirably. I guarantee that I'll make another Berliner weisse, and may even have it on tap at a HAG Summer function. It's a very approachable beer. Like the saying goes..."It's only kinky the first time".

Has the call for the 2007 Xmas case gone out yet, or are we waiting for Oktober? I'd like to make a Christmas Wheat Eisbock. I can imagine a lot of happy faces already. MHB, Steve Taylor, Keith the Moravian Swearing Bear (aka KTBG), me, Trent, and many more. Might be a huge grist, and maybe I'll need to make 2 batches to produce the volume required, but what's brewing about, except satisfying a curiosity?

Seth the beer maker (albeit Weizguy) :p

P.s. Forkboy, don't wait, theyre all ready to go now. Beer frenzy :chug: with (brief) feedback of course.

These are the last 4 beers I have to review, as they're the last 4 beers I have from the case. I think I've posted comments on every beer I tasted. Apologies if I missed anyone.

11. Craig - Roggenbier

This was an interesting beer for me as I'd never tasted a Roggenbier before. I wish now that I'd had it a little sooner, actually. The carbonation seemed to get in the way of the flavour, which was interesting tart and grainy, once I had swished the gas out.

21. Crozdog - Irish Red Ale

Nice red colour. Firm head with nice carbonation. Medicinal aroma??
I too detect the weird flavour in this beer that others talked about. Maybe could be described as "Strepsils Original". Sorry Crozdog, it was an interesting beer but this weird flavour really stood out above everything else.

23. Linz - express beer western line As per post 78
26. Brewer - Irish Ale

I think I left both of these beers too late also. Tasted mostly carbolic acid. Hrmmm. Weird how often I've said that. Could be the Zyban affecting my tastebuds.

Thanks everyone for contributing, it's been fun drinking all these interesting, good and great beers! :beer:

Keith the Moravian Swearing Bear (aka KTBG)

Priceless, Les. Never even thought of that before :p And a wheat eisbock would not be unwelcome come xmas time either. We can always count on you to bring the unusual beers to us. How does a lowly hopped, 22 IBU APA sound in return ;)
All the best
Trent

Trent,
Any beer that you deem fit to share is a good beer.

You make some very nice beer. In fact, I have been saving a bottle of your Dunkelweizen and a DSA (Belgian Dark Strong Ale, IIRC, for those who were wondering).

Maybe I'll do the Eisbock for the HAG Krizzy Kase. Time to start that thread soon, among the HAG club threads.

Beerz
Seth :p

3 Davekate's Honey Pilsner
Poured really clear, looked fantastic and had a nice head. But I really hate to say, I wasn't too keen on the flavour... I don't know what it was, but there was a weird flavour to it. I don't trust my tastebuds to correctly name it (maybe the honey flavour?). Maybe I'm just not big on homebrewed pilsners. Really sorry, DK.

21. Crozdog's Irish Red Ale:
Pretty nice this one. Low carbonation, and I dunno what happened with the minimal to no-head, but let's just blame a possibly dirty glass on this. Had a rich reddy-brown colour,, lowish bitterness, and some toffee flavours to it. Interesting but nice.

I'd like to make a Christmas Wheat Eisbock. I can imagine a lot of happy faces already. MHB, Steve Taylor, Keith the Moravian Swearing Bear (aka KTBG), me, Trent, and many more. Might be a huge grist, and maybe I'll need to make 2 batches to produce the volume required, but what's brewing about, except satisfying a curiosity?

Lez,

your're welcome to borrow my monsta 200l tun (in return for a cube ;) )if you can get someone to pick it up from my place in Sydney. The ISB'res put 63kg grain in it & knocked out 300l back in May! (checkout the gallery)

Crozdog

Back