Nsw Xmas In July Case 2007 - Consumption

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to make a Christmas Wheat Eisbock. I can imagine a lot of happy faces already. MHB, Steve Taylor, Keith the Moravian Swearing Bear (aka KTBG), me, Trent, and many more. Might be a huge grist, and maybe I'll need to make 2 batches to produce the volume required, but what's brewing about, except satisfying a curiosity?

Lez,

your're welcome to borrow my monsta 200l tun (in return for a cube ;) )if you can get someone to pick it up from my place in Sydney. The ISB'res put 63kg grain in it & knocked out 300l back in May! (checkout the gallery)

Crozdog

Kabooby's Vienna Lager

Brilliantly clear, amber in colour with a tenacious fine bubbled white head. There is a fine noble hop aroma, supported in the background by some malt sweetness. Loads of hop flavour up front, followed up by some soft malt which falls away quickly to a dry finish. The carbonation and bitterness are excellent but I thought it could use a little more body. Overall, a really flavoursome and drinkable beer. Top beer thanks Kabooby.

Redbeard's Pale Ale

Definitely no problem with carbonation Redbeard, my sample was pretty lively. Unfortunately I think this contributed to the beer coming out very cloudy, almost like a witbier. It looked pretty clear in the bottle before I opened it though. There is a really attractive citrus aroma reminding me of mandarins and lemongrass. Behind this however are some clovey phenolics and a sulphury type aroma which weren't quite right. The taste upfront is great - a nice hit of crisp hops which falls away quickly to a bitter finish. The finish is dry and features some of the out of place characteritics of the aroma. Sorry Redbeard, but I have to concur with the other reviewers that there is probably a mild infection, even though I didn't get a gusher or the tell-tale ring in the bottle. It's a shame because this would have been a terrific beer otherwise.

Shonky's IPA

Brown in colour, a little hazy, with a small white head which lasted the whole glass. There is some floral hop aroma but the real winner is the malt. Raisins and molasses come to mind along with some sweet toffee. The flavour is sweet up front, quickly followed by an assertive bitterness with a long complex malty finish. The malt profile reminded me a lot of Coopers Vintage Ale. The mouthfeel is reasonably full, though not too full to be cloying, and the carbonation seemed pretty right to me. It seemed that other reviewers either loved or hated this one - I'm most certainly in the love camp. The malty flavours were just outstanding. Cheers Shonky.

Stephen's Belhaven Export

Almost black in colour with flashes of red trying to penetrate when held up to the light. There is a subdued pale tan head which sticks around forever. There are some subtle roasted malts with a little buttery aroma in the background. The flavour is very smooth with a perfectly balanced bitterness. There is a subtle smoky flavour in there too - I can see why this yeast is reported to give this effect. Beautiful. A nice full mouthfeel and balanced carbonation makes this so drinkable. Top beer thanks Stephen, a perfect way to finish off the night.

11. Craig's Roggenbier:

Never had one of these before, so didn't know what to expect. The head was awesome. Really foamy, and lasted forever. Tastewise , ah a wheatbeer!, quite spicy, and reminds me heavily of Les the Wiezguy's Gose. Same flavour (but duh! Less salt!). Not a flavour I'm too keen on, but cheers for yet another interesting beer.

THOMMO'S BLONDE ALE
Poured quite hazy straight out of the fridge, a light amber colour, with a lovely looking headSweet malt on the nose, and some fruity esters that remind me of a belgian GSA (pear/apple, or something like that) There is some honey in the flavour first up, which could be oxidation, Moderate bitterness, some sweet malt there, and those esters again. Not quite what I would choose to drink usually, but IIRC, you made this beer to try and get your megaswill drinking mates into drinking homebrew? If so, you have hit the nail on the head, this is something they could start to like, and het them used to a little bit more flavour than usual, then ya can feed em a double IPA a few weeks later :lol:
Thanks for sharing
Trent
EDIT - meant to mention that the haze seems to be chill haze, cause as it warms, the haze disappears.

PUNTER'S SCHWARZBIER -
Jet black, with a lovely tan head that makes it look like a nice stout. I have served it straight out of the fridge, but there is a restrained roasty aroma with a slightly smoky quality to it (kinda reminds me of the stout I put in this case). the smokiness translates into the flavour, and there is also some slight fruitiness. The bitterness is medium, the malt sweet up front and finishes quite dry.
Even as it warms, that smokiness is still there, and the dryness compliments it. The fruitiness I thought I detected earlier seems to have disspiated as it warms. The body is reasonably thin, and it is quite drinkable. I think that I recall you saying this wasnt your best schwarzbier? Anyway, it probably isnt the greatest schwarz, it (to me) tastes like a thinner version of my stout, but there is no real faults with it, and I enjoyed it alot. I would like to try a bottle of your regular schwarz one day though, maybe we should do a beer swap one day through Mark's?
Thanks for sharing
Trent

Guys , my swap beer was my first attempt at a full batch all grain beer , so please feel free to be critical with your feedback on it , its been in the bottle for a month so i thinks its ready to drink, like i said be critical but be kind ...

cheers NED
Edward (NED),
Quite an elegant ESB. Malty and hoppy with some roastiness. A little roasty and sharp for mine, but certainly a good job, and bonus points as it was your first ag.
Great thick creamy head and carbonation level. The head was persistent too! Hung around like a true champion. The colour was great, at a light-mid translucent brown. Did I say clarity?...in spades. However I managed to get some cloudiness after the second pour. Must've been a poor pour.
Drank the lot and was enlightened.

Not sure if anyone else get a slight taste of acetic, or if it's the Yank hops (I assume), but it may be a mild acetobacter infection (a constant danger in my brewery).

I'd give you 7 out of 10 for this beer, if that means anything to anyone at all.

Thanks for the beer, Barra
Seth :p

P.S. I just read Trent's post below, and boy are we on the same wavelength this weekend. I also grabbed Stephen's Belhaven for a taste, and we both posted in this (apparently) deceased thread.

Edward (NED),
Quite an elegant ESB. Malty and hoppy with some roastiness. A little roasty and sharp for mine, but certainly a good job, and bonus points as it was your first ag.
Great thick creamy head and carbonation level. The head was persistent too! Hung around like a true champion. The colour was great, at a light-mid translucent brown. Did I say clarity?...in spades. However I managed to get some cloudiness after the second pour. Must've been a poor pour.
Drank the lot and was enlightened.

Not sure if anyone else get a slight taste of acetic, or if it's the Yank hops (I assume), but it may be a mild acetobacter infection (a constant danger in my brewery).

I'd give you 7 out of 10 for this beer, if that means anything to anyone at all.

Thanks for the beer, Barra

P.S. I just read Trent's post below, and boy are we on the same wavelength this weekend. I also grabbed Stephen's Belhaven for a taste, and we both posted in this (apparently) deceased thread.

I tried Barra's beer the other night. I wasn't really sure what the style was because for some reason I have "robust porter" on the list I printed out. I thought it kind of sat in between a porter and an ESB - almost had a "Scottish Ale" feel about it. It doesn't matter anyway because I thought it was a great beer, regardless of the style. Like Les said, nice rich brown colour and as clear as crystal. The flavour was nice and full with some roastiness in the background. The late hops were quite distinctive to me but I couldn't put my finger on it. After checking with Barra he said its Northern Brewer and Cascade. I think it was the Northern Brewer I was tasting - took me back to a few years ago when I went through a NB phase. The hopping was perfect for the type of beer it was, the carbonation was spot on, and the flavour was very moreish! To think this was his first full sized AG, I was very impressed! :beerbang:

p.s. Les, I didn't get any acetic or sharp flavours at all in mine.

STEPHEN'S BELHAVEN EXPORT
I figured this beer would be a great excuse to crack out my new scottish ale glass (the other one got smashed in transit back from the US), so I was quite excited to try it. On top of that, stephens favourite footy team were about to take on the warriors.
Poured a very dark colour, have to say black, and there was no light getting through in my glass. There was a slightly metallic aroma to it, along with some roastiness and a very feint hint of smokiness.
The beer tasted quite nice, low bitterness, medium maltiness, finished fairly dry like a good scottish ale should, but that metallic flavour stayed there for about half the glass before disappearing. I have taken it out of the fridge 40 mins before cracking it, but it wasnt till it warmed even more that it tasted cleaner (to me). It was a nice beer, but compared with the scottish ale stephen put on for my wedding, it was not his best, cause I LOVED that scottish ale. So, it is quite a nice beer, but I am a little disappointed, Browny, you set the bar too bloody high the first time! I can only tell you this, cause the cowboys put the thumpings to the warriors (who looked like they were playing for the wooden spoon), and you will be happy for a week no matter what. Except maybe when Thurstons suspension gets handed down for that spear tackle. Danny buderus got 5 weeks in the corresponding game last year for a similar tackle, and he hadnt been to the judiciary EVER. That said, though, he IS a queenslander, and they always get treated a bit/lot better at the judiciary.
All the best
Trent

belhaven.jpg

I tried Barra's beer the other night. I wasn't really sure what the style was because for some reason I have "robust porter" on the list I printed out. I thought it kind of sat in between a porter and an ESB - almost had a "Scottish Ale" feel about it. It doesn't matter anyway because I thought it was a great beer, regardless of the style. Like Les said, nice rich brown colour and as clear as crystal. The flavour was nice and full with some roastiness in the background. The late hops were quite distinctive to me but I couldn't put my finger on it. After checking with Barra he said its Northern Brewer and Cascade. I think it was the Northern Brewer I was tasting - took me back to a few years ago when I went through a NB phase. The hopping was perfect for the type of beer it was, the carbonation was spot on, and the flavour was very moreish! To think this was his first full sized AG, I was very impressed! :beerbang:

p.s. Les, I didn't get any acetic or sharp flavours at all in mine.
Maybe the ESB tag was a big call, as I know it was meant to be a Robusto, but as soon as I poured it, it just looked like a great ESB. I was thinking of the ESB in my fridge, so I hope I didn't distress anyone with the description.

It was prob a little roasty for an ESB, but too delicate for a "robust".

The acetic that I could taste was "just there", so I don't think that everyone would get it. There was no ring in the neck of the bottle, so maybe I was getting the flavour from some carbonic bite.

The hopping wasn't too strong for the beer, and as I said, quite good for a first ag (especially when compared to my first ag).

Belhaven tonight :beer:

Maybe the ESB tag was a big call, as I know it was meant to be a Robusto, but as soon as I poured it, it just looked like a great ESB. I was thinking of the ESB in my fridge, so I hope I didn't distress anyone with the description.

It was prob a little roasty for an ESB, but too delicate for a "robust".

The acetic that I could taste was "just there", so I don't think that everyone would get it. There was no ring in the neck of the bottle, so maybe I was getting the flavour from some carbonic bite.

The hopping wasn't too strong for the beer, and as I said, quite good for a first ag (especially when compared to my first ag).

Belhaven tonight :beer:

no distress caused les , thanks for the comments , i actually agree the beer wasnt quite what i was hoping to get out of it but that doesnt meanim not happy with it , most comments seem to say the same thing "it wasnt quite a 'robust' porter ' " but these are things to be learnt obviously , anyway thanks again for the positive reinforcements , glad you liked the beer ,

T.D also thanks for the comments

IF anyone cares ive posted the recipe in the recipe threads of this site...

CROZDOGS IRISH RED ALE
Poured a deep amber/reddish colour, though definitely more amber than red. It was also quite hazy, but it is fairly cold, and could just be chill haze. The aroma is quite malty, and a complex malty at that. No real hops to smell, though there are some fruity esters and a slightly hot alcohol smell. Was this beer fermented a bit higher than intended? Very malty flavour, caramelly and almost plum and raisin in the maltiness, finishes quite sweet, moderate bitterness, and quite a full body. It is actually very very tasty, I really like it, but it doesnt have the dryer finish that I would associate with an Irish Red. I would suggest that if you put a small percentage of roast barley into the grist, and a little less crystal (I assume there is a fair bit of crystal in there, but am often wrong) would give it that drying finish, and lend a redder hue.
As I said, I really enjoyed this beer. I dont think it is a great Irish red, but it is very tasty as it is, and may I be so bold as to suggest brewing a wort with the same recipe, and using a Belgian yeast - would net you one hell of a dubbel.
And by the way, it is definitely chill haze affecting the beer.
Trent
EDIT - Crozdog, FYI, there is a ring around the neck of my bottle, at the fill line. the beer itself doesnt really taste infected with anything, and the carbonation is fairly low, so it says to me that you either primed with DME, or may have a very mild brewhouse infection. As I said before in this thread, I have had that problem myself recently, so I would have a look at all your recent batches, and if they exhibit the same tell tale ring, have a look at replacing some of your plastics, starting with your hoses (cause they are cheapest) and working your way up from there. Providing you didnt prime with DME or Spiese! T.

JOSH'S GERMAN PILSENER
Poured a quite hazy straw/pale gold colour, with a lovely thick, moussy, white head. Some sweet malt on the aroma, but also a fairly prominent yeast aroma. The yeast aroma translates into the flavour, and I am afraid it is the only flavour I can really get (my palate seems particualrly sensitive to yeast flavours and by products)Medium body, medium high bitterness that lasts into the aftertaste, and medium malt sweetness. This beer went quite well with my Thai curry tonight, very easy drinking, but I would like to taste a bit more hops than the yeast I am getting out of it. Cannot work out why I am getting such a flavour, I just am. Seems like a good beer otherwise, and appears to be well balanced. Maybe try using some kind of fining agent to clear up the haze a bit though.
All the best
Trent

CROZDOGS IRISH RED ALE
Poured a deep amber/reddish colour, though definitely more amber than red. It was also quite hazy, but it is fairly cold, and could just be chill haze. The aroma is quite malty, and a complex malty at that. No real hops to smell, though there are some fruity esters and a slightly hot alcohol smell. Was this beer fermented a bit higher than intended? Very malty flavour, caramelly and almost plum and raisin in the maltiness, finishes quite sweet, moderate bitterness, and quite a full body. It is actually very very tasty, I really like it, but it doesnt have the dryer finish that I would associate with an Irish Red. I would suggest that if you put a small percentage of roast barley into the grist, and a little less crystal (I assume there is a fair bit of crystal in there, but am often wrong) would give it that drying finish, and lend a redder hue.
As I said, I really enjoyed this beer. I dont think it is a great Irish red, but it is very tasty as it is, and may I be so bold as to suggest brewing a wort with the same recipe, and using a Belgian yeast - would net you one hell of a dubbel.
And by the way, it is definitely chill haze affecting the beer.
Trent
EDIT - Crozdog, FYI, there is a ring around the neck of my bottle, at the fill line. the beer itself doesnt really taste infected with anything, and the carbonation is fairly low, so it says to me that you either primed with DME, or may have a very mild brewhouse infection. As I said before in this thread, I have had that problem myself recently, so I would have a look at all your recent batches, and if they exhibit the same tell tale ring, have a look at replacing some of your plastics, starting with your hoses (cause they are cheapest) and working your way up from there. Providing you didnt prime with DME or Spiese! T.

Thanks for the feedback Trent. Recipe was as follows:
10kg JW trad ale
1kg JW crystal
70g JW roast barley
500g wheat
45g 5% fuggles @ 60
45g 5% fuggles @ 30
30g 5.7% ekg @ 10

mashed at 65 degrees
OG 1.051 @ 25 IBU

Fermented at 17 with Wyeast irish ale, Bulked primed with ordinary white sugar

There may be some sort of infection considering the feedback to date.

Will have to try the dubbel experiment but add additional sugar to up the OG a bit;-)

JOSH'S GERMAN PILSENER
Poured a quite hazy straw/pale gold colour, with a lovely thick, moussy, white head. Some sweet malt on the aroma, but also a fairly prominent yeast aroma. The yeast aroma translates into the flavour, and I am afraid it is the only flavour I can really get (my palate seems particualrly sensitive to yeast flavours and by products)Medium body, medium high bitterness that lasts into the aftertaste, and medium malt sweetness. This beer went quite well with my Thai curry tonight, very easy drinking, but I would like to taste a bit more hops than the yeast I am getting out of it. Cannot work out why I am getting such a flavour, I just am. Seems like a good beer otherwise, and appears to be well balanced. Maybe try using some kind of fining agent to clear up the haze a bit though.
All the best
Trent
Cheers Trent. Will consider the finings next time.

NIFTY'S SOME KIND OF ESB
Poured a lovely deep amber colour, slightly hazy, with a thick, of white head. The bubbles look a little lively, as if it is fairly highly carbed, though it is still a very attractive looking beer.
I get alot of caramelly aroma's on the nose, and some sherry like aroma's in the background, possibly the beginnigs of some oxidation. Definite plum and raisin from crystal malt, some low fruity esters and I think I can get some low hops. Theer is some definite oxidation flavours starting to show, though I find them quite appealing in an english ale. There is also alot of character from the crystal malts, and a drying in the finish, almost slightly astringent. Did you throw in some roast barley for a touch of colour at all? That would be my guess for it anyway. Medium high bitterness that linger long into the aftertaste, complex maltiness and that (light) astringeny are also there in the finish. A few fruity esters, and not much hop flavour there, medium full body that dries out in the finish. Probably a little too highly carbed, but still quite enjoyable. Very nice beer, nifty, thanks for sharing.
Trent
EDIT - Haze appeared to be chill haze, as it cleared as it warmed.

Thanks Trent

There was ale malt, munich, crystal and a good whack of flaked maize in it. I've just added the recipe in the recipe section.

I did a side by side comparison with a Fullers ESB and apart from the haze, the colour was spot on, but I didn't nail the hoppy spiciness ?? (not sure about that description) of the Fullers.

cheers

nifty

Back