Xmas-in-July Caseswap 2013 (SE QLD) Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No 9 kegs23 double choc coffee stout

Tasted good to me, more Choc than coffee, SWMBO liked it as well.
Let this warm up, Duhh..

Took it out of the fridge a good 20 mins before cracking, temp wasn't an issue. I did notice that the bottle was only filled to 2 inches from the top.

Might be an infected bottle.

Liam_snorkel said:
Took it out of the fridge a good 20 mins before cracking, temp wasn't an issue. I did notice that the bottle was only filled to 2 inches from the top.
i filled all of them using a bottle filler on the tap of the fermenter, added large scoop of sugar to each bottle,,,,not sure what went wrong being filled that low,all bottles where stored standing up but for caseswap day, sorry about that,

I'm sorry too! Dont stress, it must have just been a rogue mate, by the sound of it the others were lovely.

I've gone through about half of them now, loved every one of them so far!

Ill take that advice tazman, ill leave it on the yeast longer next time. I think I only had it on the yeast for 2 weeks, that could explain that green taste. It was my first Belgian I have made, gotta say they are a little different to English/American varieties.

I really should be making comments about the beers that I have tried, must get onto that!

Kegs23 stout.

I had half of this bottle last night, did not keep the notes but will finish off the other half tonight and give proper feedback. One thing that stood out to me was that it was overpowered by a certain flavour my initial thought was too much black patent. Kegs did you use black patent in this one?

Cheers

Beersuit said:
10. bradsbrew- Aussie Old

Pours black with a nice red hue. Dark fruit and a slight roast on the nose. Taste of chocolate and dark toffee. If this is an Aussie Old I've been drinking the wrong mega swill old all these years.
Cheers to those that have enjoyed my swap so far.

I like to refer to it as an Aussie Dry Porter and its a great dark ale for a session on a hot day. This one was done with an ale yeast but its great with S23 at 17 degrees as well.

Cheers

14. Aydos Belgian Blonde

Wow, I didn't realise just how much of that flavour was yeast. The dominant flavours are very similar to the Belgian Wit I make. I don't have much experience with the style but I do like this beer :)

in my double choc coffee i put coco powder into the fermenter about 3 days in and also steeped the coffee into it for just 24 hours before taking it out,all so put in some chocolate extract,,,,,,,

Ok, so, trying to do my assignment this arvo, and some motivation is in order....

Starting with....

#4 - Rowy's Oarmeal Stout

image.jpg

Firstly, will echo the comments of those previous - label of the swap for me :)ph34r:).

Pours a deep, dark, mournful black, like its had a hard life. Head is tan and sticks around well. Initial aroma is slightly mellow, but some dark fruit and a little toasty character in the background.

First taste is quite fruity, some roast in the finish. Body is med-thin but suits the style well. Carbonation low, just how I like it for this style.

A nice beer, but lacking a little roast character of me. Slightly too fruity (like the brewer) as well.

A few tweaks and it will be an awesome beer!

Cheers

Ok, next up is

9. kegs23 - double chocolate coffee stout

image.jpg

Pours with a big, thick, billowing head, carbonation quite high.

Aroma is phenolic.... No roast or choc character, and no coffee.

First mouthful is slightly sour, with a distinct cardboard flavour. Aftertaste is metallic....

Sadly, think there were issues with this bottle too.... Sat on it for half an hour to see if it improved, but sadly not.

Obviously my bottle was a dud. Damn shame as I was looking forward to this one....

Sorry :(

Cheers

Rebels. And risk takers. And leaders. And Prime Minister material.... ;)

16. scoundrel_rogue - St. Jude Porter

Medium low to low carbonation with a vanishing head. Not much aroma, maybe a little sweetness. I felt it was really lacking body and after letting it warm up I got a little 'watery' feeling like when you drink the rum once the ice has melted a bit.

Having said all that there was a distinct smooth roast and choc base, balanced toward the malt and could easily be a great beer. I would love to have the same batch with just that bit more body.

4. Rowy - Couldn't out Florian Florian so it will now be a Stout! (ready)

A little dark for a pilsner, oops, that was another conversation...

Good roast aroma, maybe some very faint esters on the nose? Definite slickness from the oats once it warmed up. I can't decide if it will be nicer with a bit more bitterness or if that will subdue the choc flavour I get now.

Good work mate!

Parks said:
4. Rowy - Couldn't out Florian Florian so it will now be a Stout! (ready)

A little dark for a pilsner, oops, that was another conversation...

Good roast aroma, maybe some very faint esters on the nose? Definite slickness from the oats once it warmed up. I can't decide if it will be nicer with a bit more bitterness or if that will subdue the choc flavour I get now.

Good work mate!
Needs some bitterness.

Latest posts

Back