Xmas-in-July Caseswap 2013 (SE QLD) Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the comments guys! Here's the recipe

Hoptamination IIPA

Gravity Before Boil: 1.062 SG
Original Gravity: 1.076 SG
Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
IBU: 72.2
ABV: 8.2%
SRM: 11.7

Volume Before Boil: 55.00 l
Volume After Boil: 44.00 l
Volume At Pitching: 42.00 l
Volume Of Finished Beer: 40.00 l

Total Water Required: 68.35 l

Mashing

6.000 kg of Australian BB Traditional Ale Malt
6.000 kg of German Munich Malt
800 g of US Victory Malt
450 g of UK Light Crystal
100 g of Australian Dark Crystal

Allow the temperature to stabilize at 66C. Allow to rest at this temperature for 90 minutes.

Hops
10 g of US Bravo (90 Min From End)
20 g of US Bravo (20 Min From End)
20 g of US Summit (20 Min From End)
20 g of US Cascade (20 Min From End)
30 g of US Cascade (10 Min From End)
30 g of US Summit (10 Min From End)
30 g of US Bravo (10 Min From End)
40 g of US Cascade (5 Min From End)
40 g of US Summit (5 Min From End)
40 g of US Mount Hood (5 Min From End)
50 g of US Cascade (1 Min From End)
50 g of US Summit (1 Min From End)
50 g of US Mount Hood (1 Min From End)
10 g of BrewBrite
Boil the wort for a total of 90 minutes.

Dry Hops
Added 60g Bravo pellets to fermenter at FG.
This is for one cube of the batch.
(Total hops/20L = 275g!)

Wyeast 1332 @ 18C

Cheers

Holy crap, Batman. Hmmm, wonder how it'd go with centennial subbing for summit......

No.5 Parks APA.......Well no mistaking it as an APA! Poured a great creamy head with fantastic carbonation. The head stayed with this bad boy nearly all the way down the glass. Distinct bitterness as one would expect with the style with nice aroma. I have had many commercial APA's not as good as this. How many IBU's Parks and could you provide the recipe?

Lukerfj No. 12 Oatmeal Stout. This poured beautifully with a creamy tan head that stuck with the beer. Beautiful lacing down the glass. Nice roast taste and bitterness about right. I like my Stouts pretty forward and this lacked that a bit I would have liked more malt. Other than that a nice beer which I would drink again.

Rowy said:
Lukerfj No. 12 Oatmeal Stout. This poured beautifully with a creamy tan head that stuck with the beer. Beautiful lacing down the glass. Nice roast taste and bitterness about right. I like my Stouts pretty forward and this lacked that a bit I would have liked more malt. Other than that a nice beer which I would drink again.
Cheers Rowy. This was my first stout. Already planning the next one. Definitely needs more body and roast.

Not a bad lark this swapping caper :beerbang:

drinking 19. Gavs Tangelo porter. pours dark with a red hue nice head that fades quickly. the beer almost smells like red wine or port. im getting slight citrus tang(maybe over done) and a bit of star anise (not sure if they work together) as it warms the malt comes through more. Its a very complex beer not sure its to my tastes though

Rowy said:
No.5 Parks APA.......Well no mistaking it as an APA! Poured a great creamy head with fantastic carbonation. The head stayed with this bad boy nearly all the way down the glass. Distinct bitterness as one would expect with the style with nice aroma. I have had many commercial APA's not as good as this. How many IBU's Parks and could you provide the recipe?
Cheers mate. This was supposed to be my practice batch for the swap but it turned out pretty good and time got away from me. I was silently hoping the swap reduced in numbers so I could keep some :ph34r:

Some of the additions are purely random based on what inventory I had, but I think it all came together pretty well. Certainly my best to date.
Code:
Brewer: Parks
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 34.33 l
Post Boil Volume: 28.08 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 22.00 l   
Bottling Volume: 20.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 19.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 35.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 85.9 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
1.70 kg               Pale Malt, Galaxy (Barrett Burston) (3.0 Grain         1        34.0 %        
1.05 kg               Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC)    Grain         2        21.0 %        
1.00 kg               Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC)          Grain         3        20.0 %        
0.50 kg               Special Roast (Briess) (98.5 EBC)        Grain         4        10.0 %        
0.50 kg               Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC)   Grain         5        10.0 %        
0.25 kg               Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (110.0 EBC)   Grain         6        5.0 %         

5.00 g                Chinook [12.50 %] - First Wort 75.0 min  Hop           7        7.5 IBUs      

30.00 g               Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min  Hop           9        12.3 IBUs     
25.00 g               Amarillo Gold [8.90 %] - Boil 10.0 min   Hop           10       8.4 IBUs      
10.00 g               Chinook [12.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min        Hop           11       4.7 IBUs      
8.60 g                Cascade [6.70 %] - Boil 10.0 min         Hop           12       2.2 IBUs      

30.00 g               Amarillo Gold [8.90 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 Hop           13       0.0 IBUs      
30.00 g               Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Aroma Steep 0. Hop           14       0.0 IBUs      
10.00 g               Cascade [6.70 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min   Hop           15       0.0 IBUs      
10.00 g               Chinook [12.50 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min  Hop           16       0.0 IBUs      

32.00 g               Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 2.0 Da Hop           18       0.0 IBUs      
10.00 g               Cascade [6.70 %] - Dry Hop 2.0 Days      Hop           19       0.0 IBUs      
10.00 g               Chinook [12.50 %] - Dry Hop 2.0 Days     Hop           20       0.0 IBUs      

1.16 tsp              Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins)          Other         17       -             
3.83 mg               Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)               Fining        8        -             

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 5.00 kg
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In           Add 14.03 l of water at 72.7 C          66.7 C        60 min        

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (11.77l, 17.66l) of 75.6 C water

No. 3 Tazman Rye Saison. I really love this beer! Pored with a creamy head. Fantastic carbonation. The bloody thing looked great in the glass. You could see it working off the noculation points on the headmaster. The taste was tart at first with a slightly and I mean slight sweet finish. The spicyness of the Rye shone through. A big call but this is my pick so far. Probably didn't hurt that I was tonguing for a beer this arvo and when I saw this baby poor I felt a tingling in my loins! Who says its all about taste. Taz a great beer mate and I'd love the recipe. Can't rave about it enough.

Parks said:
Cheers mate. This was supposed to be my practice batch for the swap but it turned out pretty good and time got away from me. I was silently hoping the swap reduced in numbers so I could keep some :ph34r:

Some of the additions are purely random based on what inventory I had, but I think it all came together pretty well. Certainly my best to date.

Code:
Brewer: Parks
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         

5.00 g                Chinook [12.50 %] - First Wort 75.0 min  Hop           7        7.5 IBUs      

30.00 g               Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min  Hop           9        12.3 IBUs     
25.00 g               Amarillo Gold [8.90 %] - Boil 10.0 min   Hop           10       8.4 IBUs      
10.00 g               Chinook [12.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min        Hop           11       4.7 IBUs      
8.60 g                Cascade [6.70 %] - Boil 10.0 min         Hop           12       2.2 IBUs      

30.00 g               Amarillo Gold [8.90 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 Hop           13       0.0 IBUs      
30.00 g               Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Aroma Steep 0. Hop           14       0.0 IBUs      
10.00 g               Cascade [6.70 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min   Hop           15       0.0 IBUs      
10.00 g               Chinook [12.50 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min  Hop           16       0.0 IBUs      

32.00 g               Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 2.0 Da Hop           18       0.0 IBUs      
10.00 g               Cascade [6.70 %] - Dry Hop 2.0 Days      Hop           19       0.0 IBUs      
10.00 g               Chinook [12.50 %] - Dry Hop 2.0 Days     Hop           20       0.0 IBUs
Just what I like an easy uncomplicated hop bill..........NOT!

bradsbrew said:
12 minutes to go and I get to try a few more of these.
Surely you've got some shopping or yard work to do Brad. I mean after all its only a beer and its not like its Friday or something!

Rowy said:
Surely you've got some shopping or yard work to do Brad. I mean after all its only a beer and its not like its Friday or something!
Just setting up the rig for an early morning mash in. Will go to the shops after mashing in tomorrow morning. And by the shops I mean homebrewshop and bunnings.

bradsbrew said:
Just setting up the rig for an early morning mash in. Will go to the shops after mashing in tomorrow morning. And by the shops I mean homebrewshop and bunnings.
Craftbrewer and Bunnings are referred to around my house as Church....Q.Where's dad mum? A. Church.

No.14 Aydos Belgian Ale. Nice beer. Poured a bit flat and little lacing. I liked the flavour. Would have liked the esters to have shone through a bit more but they are there. If there is such a thing this is quite a sessionable Belgian. The carbonation held well and it was easy drinking. A lawn mower Belgian who would have thunk it!

No. 3 Tazman Rye Saison. Flavour profile was a little disjointed at first but as it warmed up a bit I was completely sold, simply delicious.
No. 18 Beersuit's Belgian Stout. Jet black with a good long lasting head, fruity nose and surprisingly sessionable, much more enjoyable than watching the Wallabies getting shafted.

13. The carbinator red ipa. Crystal clear and gold in colour nice hop aroma and resenious taste firm lasting bitterness. Bloody drinkable beer that's not over the top. Nice work mate

No. 8 benken25's dark saison w lemon myrtle

Pours dark with some red around the edges. Dense head (that's what ya mum said). Smells floral but not hoppy floral. Taste is smooth but complex. Like Rowy's review I'm getting lots of things which I'm not quite sure how to describe without using the words "saison" & "myrtle". Balanced. No individual flavour really sticks out. SWMBO absolutely loves it (and has a much better palate than I) and has asked why I don't brew a beer like this. I had to fight her for the 2nd half of the bottle and of course compromise was the name of the game. "Beer of the swap" SWMBO has now declared and I'm finding it hard to disagree.

image.jpg

Craig - Gavs mate - Irish Red Ale (not numbered)

Pours very dark but clear (it's red right through when I 'cheers' the BBQ) med-low carbonation which settles to a solid ring and laces well. Low aroma. Tastes citrusy with a slight tang & very subtle alcohol gee it holds it well. Could be maltier but who cares, this is still a tasty beer, bugger the style police. Next time call it an "Imperial American Red Fascist Lager" or something equally ridiculous to throw them off the trail.

image.jpg

Liam_snorkel said:
No. 8 benken25's dark saison w lemon myrtle

Pours dark with some red around the edges. Dense head (that's what ya mum said). Smells floral but not hoppy floral. Taste is smooth but complex. Like Rowy's review I'm getting lots of things which I'm not quite sure how to describe without using the words "saison" & "myrtle". Balanced. No individual flavour really sticks out. SWMBO absolutely loves it (and has a much better palate than I) and has asked why I don't brew a beer like this. I had to fight her for the 2nd half of the bottle and of course compromise was the name of the game. "Beer of the swap" SWMBO has now declared and I'm finding it hard to disagree.

attachicon.gif
image.jpg
cheers mate I was not sure how people would react to the beer. I nearly entered it in the swap leaving out the lemon myrtle from the name to see if people could pick it but glad I didn't. glad you liked it this is the second time I have brewed it Im sure there will be many more to perfect this

If you think it needs perfecting then that's your prerogative, but I think you've struck gold.

Latest posts

Back