Xmas-in-July Caseswap 2013 (SE QLD) Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4. Rowys oatmeal stout. I love oatmeal stouts and im happily drinking this one pours almost pitch balck little head that fades quick dark malt on the nose not much roast( maybe needs a little more). easy drinking stout I would be happy to have on tap. I think once the mild on nitro runs out an oatmeal stout will take its place

BenKen25 said:
4. Rowys oatmeal stout. I love oatmeal stouts and im happily drinking this one pours almost pitch balck little head that fades quick dark malt on the nose not much roast( maybe needs a little more). easy drinking stout I would be happy to have on tap. I think once the mild on nitro runs out an oatmeal stout will take its place
I was really jacked off with head retention with this beer. I was thinking maybe the Oatmeal.

Rowy said:
I was really jacked off with head retention with this beer. I was thinking maybe the Oatmeal.
from what I understand oats is oily which will kill head retention. I do agree with a previous post whis beer would be awesome on nitro

Rowy said:
Just what I like an easy uncomplicated hop bill..........NOT!
Didn't see this post the other day.

It's purely based on "well, I have 40g of this, 35g of that, 20g of this other american hop - GET 'EM IN THERE!"

Ok, so, day off, and beer time! First up today, is....

image.jpg

1. Winkle - Saison Noir

Pours a deep, dark, murky black. Light will not penetrate this beer...

Initial aroma of dark malt, plum, sweetness...

First sip is definitely carbonated, sweet malt up-front, with a dark malt character prominent into a spritzy finish. Spicy but not overly so. Body reasonably thin, finish quite dry due to the carbonation.

Easy to drink, but with that looming sense of a bad morning tomorrow. A well made beer, Perry, as always. Drinkable as anything and a sure hangover ;). Well done!

Cheers

well the gold club is going to taste some of the beers tonight,,,,,,ill get everyone to write down there comments,
when i post them as there will be a few people tasteing each beer, some tasteing note might not be the same as ,i like this beer,i dont like this beer,but ill post all comments after each beer name ,
but just remember its a few comments from different people

11. the goldclub - american pale ale (kegs23) (bottled 21/6, few weeks needed to carb up)

Pours very clear with excellent carbonation. No real hop aroma but a definite sweetness which I'm not sure if diacetyl or something else. Lacking good malt profile and a good 5-10IBU too bitter IMO.

I could see this is as a no chill batch with not enough compensation to get those good american hop aromas and account for the extra bitterness.

Parks said:
11. the goldclub - american pale ale (kegs23) (bottled 21/6, few weeks needed to carb up)

Pours very clear with excellent carbonation. No real hop aroma but a definite sweetness which I'm not sure if diacetyl or something else. Lacking good malt profile and a good 5-10IBU too bitter IMO.

I could see this is as a no chill batch with not enough compensation to get those good american hop aromas and account for the extra bitterness.
I am drinking the same beer right now Parks. I am not getting any diacetyl at all. The late/aroma hops have diminished and the bitterness is higher but not offensive and becomes slightly astringent In the finish.I think the malt profile is ok for an APA but is overtaken by the bitterness. I do agree that it must be a no chill that has not allowed for the extra IBU.

When did you put yours in the fridge?

Cheers

bradsbrew said:
I am drinking the same beer right now Parks. I am not getting any diacetyl at all. The late/aroma hops have diminished and the bitterness is higher but not offensive and becomes slightly astringent In the finish.I think the malt profile is ok for an APA but is overtaken by the bitterness. I do agree that it must be a no chill that has not allowed for the extra IBU.

When did you put yours in the fridge?

Cheers
Yeah, I don't think it is diacetyl just a sweetness on the nose that I couldn't pin down. I've had it in the fridge for over a week.

And you are probably right RE the malt - it was just out of balance with the bitterness.

I have also had an Ol' Rasputen RIS so I may not have the perception of a young whipper snapper such as yourself :lol:

8. BenKen25 - Dark Saison with lemon myrtle

Pours dark with a nice head. Lacing all the way down the glass. Initially get a hint of saison and dark malt in the aroma but definitely a bit of floral as others have said. Before the swap I had decided that I wasn't a big fan of saisons but it seems like I just hadn't had a good one yet. Taste is slightly roasty, slightly something else and slightly something else again. Very balanced beer. The finish is only a hint of saison but almost no aftertaste. Haven't really tasted anything like it before but I like it. A lot. Slowing down towards the bottom of the glass because I don't want it to end. Top beer Ben. This one is definitely up there.

no8.jpg

Here's a pic of the gold club swap beer. Perfect clarity, colour and head.

View attachment 63357

NFI why AHB hates my photo

Attachments

• gold-club-swap.jpg
    gold-club-swap.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 25
lukiferj said:
8. BenKen25 - Dark Saison with lemon myrtle

Pours dark with a nice head. Lacing all the way down the glass. Initially get a hint of saison and dark malt in the aroma but definitely a bit of floral as others have said. Before the swap I had decided that I wasn't a big fan of saisons but it seems like I just hadn't had a good one yet. Taste is slightly roasty, slightly something else and slightly something else again. Very balanced beer. The finish is only a hint of saison but almost no aftertaste. Haven't really tasted anything like it before but I like it. A lot. Slowing down towards the bottom of the glass because I don't want it to end. Top beer Ben. This one is definitely up there.
Had this one earlier tonight, agree with almost everything you say there Luke, although the perfume fragrance got a bit too much for me. Well crafted beer though.

On a side note, is your wife's jumper warm, Lukiferj?

lukiferj said:
Wife's jumper? More like killer dinosaur pyjamas. Jealous much Brad?
Hahahahaha, your a funny *******, weird but funny.

Haha those PJs are a classic Luke!

Earlier this arvo:

5. Parks - American Pale Ale (ready)

Pours hazy deep amber colour, epic head which hung around for the whole glass. Aroma classic US hops citrus. Tastes of grapefruit a bit of pine, malty, firm but not ridiculous bitterness. Yum, I'd buy pints of this

image.jpg

on the gold club apa, it was a no chill beer, but we did a mini boil of about 3L with cascade and some centennial i think just before pitching the yeast(1st time i have ever done that) ,

Currently:
6. King Brown Brewing - RIS (ready in 4 weeks)

I took this bad boy out of the fridge an hour before pouring to let it warm up. Very low carbonation but pours with a thick tan head which settles to a layer which refuses to move. Tastes bitter as **** but has solid roasty malt gonads to carry it. This is a formidable beer. Balanced with epic weight on each end of the lever. this reminds me of that time I was at the scratch and fell in love with old rasputin. How strong is this dan? I'm half way through the bottle and in my happy place.

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back