Xmas-in-July Caseswap 2013 (SE QLD) Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
18. Beersuit - Belgium Stout

Poured nice and black. Nice tan head that stayed for the entire beer. Seriously, the head on this thing was incredible. Not sure what your mash schedule was but it worked. Got so excited had to take it into the bedroom to show the warden how good it still looked halfway through! Aroma was dark malt and belgian yeast. Almost saison like. Flavour was a mixture of dark malts and the yeast.Top effort mate. Would love a few more of these!

edit: so good I forgot to add which beer it was

18.jpg

head.jpg

10. bradsbrew- Aussie Old

Pours a nice dark colour. Head dissipated fairly quickly. Slight aroma of dark malt and a fair whack of caramel/crystal maybe. Flavour is chocolate with just a hint of roast. Was expecting this to be a bit sweeter from the aroma but flavour is really good. Not sure what the abv is on this but doesn't seem overly heavy. Nice sessionable dark ale. Even though you don't understand about dressing appropriately for cold winter nights.

10.jpg

lukiferj said:
10. bradsbrew- Aussie Old

Pours a nice dark colour. Head dissipated fairly quickly. Slight aroma of dark malt and a fair whack of caramel/crystal maybe. Flavour is chocolate with just a hint of roast. Was expecting this to be a bit sweeter from the aroma but flavour is really good. Not sure what the abv is on this but doesn't seem overly heavy. Nice sessionable dark ale. Even though you don't understand about dressing appropriately for cold winter nights.
It's about 4%, Dorothy.

Even though you don't understand about dressing appropriately for cold winter nights.
'E was just trying to make all those southern types feel at home lukiferg. :p

As the old XXXX ad goes : I can feel an 8-in-a-row coming on! I can feel an 8-in-a-row coming on!
Got the taste for it, just can't wait for it
I can feel an 8-in-a-row coming on. :lol:

Oh boy! It's good to be back on the web again (but that's another story).
And just to stay OT perhaps I WILL go in the next Case Swap? This one sounds ok.

TidalPete said:
And just to stay OT perhaps I WILL go in the next Case Swap? This one sounds ok.
Havn't had to tip a single one yet Pete. Some have been very low on carb but that's nothing that cant be fixed with a carb cap.

Currently drinking 20 Liam's Porter.

Pretty low on carbonation, was about to whack the carb cap on it but I quite like it at this level. So I gave it a couple of hits with the pocket sparkler(Nurofen syringe) and drinking it through the foam. Aroma of yummy dark malt, body is spot on for my tastes. Taste is a beautiful balance of malt and slight bitterness, chocolate up front and a slight roast in the finish. Not even a hint of astringency or sweetness. Perfect beer for my tastes.

Cheers

image.jpg

image.jpg

thanks Brad, glad you liked it. Yeah first time I've bulk primed, I buggered up the calc (was aiming low but not that low). The old syringe trick has been working for me :)

Yeah my first thought was, you've filled from the keg but then noticed the sediment in the bottom. What yeast is it.

TidalPete said:
'E was just trying to make all those southern types feel at home lukiferg. :p

As the old XXXX ad goes : I can feel an 8-in-a-row coming on! I can feel an 8-in-a-row coming on!
Got the taste for it, just can't wait for it
I can feel an 8-in-a-row coming on. :lol:

Oh boy! It's good to be back on the web again (but that's another story).
Ha ha. We missed you Pete!

Still OT - This syringe trick is amazing!

19. Gav - Ginger Wit

Certainly pours extermely light, almost straw like. Head was minimal but laced down the glass. Aroma of sweetness, honey maybe. Slight aroma of ginger. Flavour of ginger up front, followed by the sweetness (honey again) but still finishes fairly dry. Body is light. Probably the wrong weather for drinking this but would be nice on a summer day.

Little bit sweeter than I would normally drink but a nice beer none the less. Look at me, I'm growing :lol:

19.jpg

I'm sure !?*& we tried the Ginger Wit at the GoldCLUB last night (official tasting notes to follow) and as far as I remember the consensus was that it had a solid ginger aroma with a ginger, citrus taste. It reminded some of pickled ginger and we thought it would be great with Sushi etc. It was the beer of the night! but you wouldn't drink a 6 pack at a sitting (not a bad thing). If it WAS this beer the ingredients on the label had us asking how you included this much ginger (and how you could afford to!)

11. the goldclub - american pale ale (kegs23) (bottled 21/6, few weeks needed to carb up)

Nice colour for a pale ale. Slight aroma of malt in the background but very little hop aroma. Bitterness is fine for an APA to my tastes but could use some aroma/flavour hops. Possibly some dry hopping would have helped here. Not a bad beer. With some more flavour and aroma hops would be very drinkable.

11.jpg

I thought I would finally get around to adding some tasting notes so here we go.

12.Lukiferg - Oatmeal stout

Pours with very little head and a medium brown colour when held to the light, bit hazy but I would say it was bottle conditioned and I drove somewhere with it in the back so it stirred up. Maybe a bit light for the style. Has a slightly sweet, lightly roasted aroma. Slightly burnt/roast coffee flavours, dry finish. Low carbonation.

Overall, nice beer, well done!

1374231165305.jpg

Too late to edit, that was meant to be low carbonation.

Hopefully this is 3rd time lucky!

20. Liam's Porter

Aroma was great with a nice toasty choc smell that really came out when it was nice and warm. I would love to know how you managed it as I would love it in some of my beers.

Flavour pretty much mirrors the aroma with a strong choc taste that's backed up by a very nice bitterness to help out those maltz. The booze is hidden quite well, couldn't tell it was that strength without reading it.

Appearance is a little dark for the style and lacking head but was surprising bright for a bottle conditioned beer.

Overall it was a delicious beer that I would go back for more of at a pub.

Good work Liam.

DSC_0006.jpg

The toastiness is probably the maris otter which I roasted, aiming for brown malt. It ended up a bit dry and dusty tasting.

6. King Brown Brewing - RIS. low carbed with a thin tan head that hangs around and laces well. sweet chocolate malt on the nose has bitter finish but it balanced well. I would love to know what alc% this beer is. Its very easy drinking almost sessionable. Great beer i would love the recipe

Latest posts

Back