Xmas-in-July Caseswap 2013 (SE QLD) Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lukiferj said:
Do it Bryan. I was a bit nervous about getting in on it but I'm glad I did now.
I agree its good fun then all of a sudden you have all these great beers to try.

No. 2 NickB Hoptamination IPA

Great red colour, malty and rich hop aroma. Full and flavoursome solid but smooth bitterness yum.

image.jpg

No. 4 Rowy's oatmeal stout

Perfect carbonation good white head which disappears after a few sips. Good roasty / toasty aroma and flavour. Medium body, so easy to drink and not particularly bitter. Tasty session stout.

image.jpg

Hope you liked the effort I put into the label Liam.

Rowy said:
Actually Nitro would be the answer........I do love stouts.......more money.........SWMBO.............god what a choice!
I have only recently got nitro only done 2 kegs a stout and an english mild. Pouring a beer on nitro is like pouring your first beer all over again. I now have the hard choice if I should put my smoked porter on nitro or c02

12. Lukiferj - Oatmeal stout
Pours a lot lighter than expected for a stout. Has nice chocolate notes on the nose and reminds me of Chickos on tasting it. Finishes dry, quite a quaffable drop indeed.

also had Lukiferj's stout the other night but forgot to take photos. I echo Beersuit's comments entirely.

Ok, short Friday for me (bloody TAFE exams!) so first for the arvo is....

#7 BPH87 - Mosaic Rye IPA

image.jpg

I must have got a different bottle to the previous posters, as my bottle opened with a hiss, and was well and truly carbonated! Thick, dense head that is sticking around. Colour is a beautiful deep red when held to the light.

Initial aroma of fruit salad, slightly resinous. First sip is a mix of tropical fruits, with some sweetness into the finish. Medium body. Some spiciness from the rye evident, and the malt backs up the hop presence well. Only thing I'd say, is that the bitterness is lacking for me. I'd up this by at least 20IBU so you know you're drinking an IPA.

Otherwise a well made beer, and one I'd be happy to have on tap at home!

Cheers

NickB said:
Ok, short Friday for me (bloody TAFE exams!) so first for the arvo is....
#7 BPH87 - Mosaic Rye IPA
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
I must have got a different bottle to the previous posters, as my bottle opened with a hiss, and was well and truly carbonated! Thick, dense head that is sticking around. Colour is a beautiful deep red when held to the light.
Initial aroma of fruit salad, slightly resinous. First sip is a mix of tropical fruits, with some sweetness into the finish. Medium body. Some spiciness from the rye evident, and the malt backs up the hop presence well. Only thing I'd say, is that the bitterness is lacking for me. I'd up this by at least 20IBU so you know you're drinking an IPA.
Otherwise a well made beer, and one I'd be happy to have on tap at home!
Cheers
Yeah yeah....anything under 500IBU's isn't bitter enough for you!

Next up...

#10 Bradsbrew - Aussie Old

image.jpg

Pours a deep, very very dark brown, verging on black. First sniff is slightly malty, little bit of black/roast malt character, hint of dark fruit, but overall quite subtle.

First sip is dark malt up front, followed by some dark fruit character. Body on the light side, but the dry finish compliments the malt character. Very easy drinking. Hops are basically not noticeable, but this is not a problem!

A nice, malty, very easy drinking beer again Brad! Glad you're back in the swaps!

Cheers

Yep, big weekend coming up. Apart from an assignment.....

Liam_snorkel said:
No. 2 NickB Hoptamination IPA

Great red colour, malty and rich hop aroma. Full and flavoursome solid but smooth bitterness yum.

attachicon.gif
image.jpg
I just found the recipe for this Nick, no wonder I nearly fell over when I stood up after drinking it in 15 mins. What FG did you hit? Bottle conditioned?

Well, it is a IIPA Liam.... Life's too short for light beers...... ;)

Ummm. From memory, about 1.014. So just a touch more ABV than advertised. Keg conditioned, and filtered. Dry hops weren't in for long enough so the aroma is lacking IMHO........

Next batch which is fermenting now will get about 120g dry hops for a week. Nom nom nom...

NickB said:
Ummm. From memory, about 1.014. So just a touch more ABV than advertised. Keg conditioned, and filtered. Dry hops weren't in for long enough so the aroma is lacking IMHO........

Next batch which is fermenting now will get about 120g dry hops for a week. Nom nom nom...
Just let me know when I should come over :D

Two weeks from Monday ;)..... I may or may not have inadvertently taken QLD Beer Week off work.... Didn't actually realise until a couple of weeks ago....... So lots to do......

Back