Xmas-in-July Caseswap 2013 (SE QLD) Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. 1. Winkles Saison Noir.

Love it..

Nice dark colour, low to medium carb, decent body, soft bitterness.
i get a lot of dark fruit, licorice and raisons.
Yumm..

PS. Let this beer warm up a little after the pour, then it shines.

Great beer Perry

No. 2 NickB Hoptamination IPA

Pours a nice amber colour, nice malt backbone, Im guessing English hops for a decent bittering and flavour, nice hop aroma up front.
Nice beer Nick

7. BPH87's mosaic rye IPA
Must have lost some carb in transit. Still has enough to form a head. Deep red colour. Phwoar hop aroma like opening a fresh bag. Rich malty flavour under the hops and a bit of spice. Firm but not out of control bitterness. Tasting great as it wams up & lacing like a mofo.
image.jpg

Tazman - was US hops, and heaps of... But not any really OTT ones.... Sadly, the aroma and hop flavour was much more subdued than I was hoping. Will up the dry hopping in the next batch...

Anyway, first for tonight was....

Gav's Ginger Wit (sorry, no photo!)

Clear, very light colour wise. Aroma slightly of ginger and spice. First sip was sweet honey, followed by a decent but not overpowering ginger bite. Head retention good, but carbonation a little on the low side.

A well made beer, and one I'd happily have a keg of!

Cheers!

Sorry Nick,
I dont drink many IPA 's atm, I need some calibration...LOL.

No. 5 Parkes APA

Same as Nicks comments..
Great head and lacing..
Love it mate, perfect example of a APA

And then....

#14 Aydos' Belgian Blonde

image.jpg

Beautifully clear, light golden colour. Head fades to a thin layer but sticks around well. Carbonation slightly low for style. Initial flavour slightly sweet, but bitterness balanced and comes more in the finish. Slight pepper character, some Belgian esters although quite subtle. Slight 'green' character - how old is the beer mate?

Overall, a well made beer that IMHO could probably do with either another week or two conditioning in the primary, or in the bottle

Cheers

Sorry Nick,
I dont drink many IPA 's atm, I need some calibration...LOL.

No. 5 Parkes APA

Same as Nicks comments..
Great head and lacing..
Love it mate, perfect example of a APA

NickB said:
And then....

#14 Aydos' Belgian Blonde

attachicon.gif
image.jpg

Beautifully clear, light golden colour. Head fades to a thin layer but sticks around well. Carbonation slightly low for style. Initial flavour slightly sweet, but bitterness balanced and comes more in the finish. Slight pepper character, some Belgian esters although quite subtle. Slight 'green' character - how old is the beer mate?

Overall, a well made beer that IMHO could probably do with either another week or two conditioning in the primary, or in the bottle

Cheers
Wow, how clear is that for a bottled beer?

That beer was made and fermented when I went to Perrys for the AHA brew day thing, so its over a month old. Sat in the keg the whole time, took around 4 weeks to drop clear. The carbonation was lost a bit for the bottling I would say but I do agree it was a bit low for the style. Unfortunately I can't pour highly carbonated beers from my pluto gun as all I get is head.

aydos said:
That beer was made and fermented when I went to Perrys for the AHA brew day thing, so its over a month old. Sat in the keg the whole time, took around 4 weeks to drop clear. The carbonation was lost a bit for the bottling I would say but I do agree it was a bit low for the style. Unfortunately I can't pour highly carbonated beers from my pluto gun as all I get is head.
What is wrong with all head?

No. 2 NickB Hoptamination IPA

Pours almost copper colour. Aroma of sweet malt, with slight hops. Hop aroma came thorugh more as it warmed up a bit. Would have picked UK hops but I know you said it was US. Flavour of malt with a pleasant bitter finish. Hop flavour came through more after warming up a bit too.

All in all, a nice beer. Looking forward to trying a few more tonight.

Cheers, Nick.

no2.jpg

Well I've just had the Irish Red Ale. Not sure whose it is but can't see it on the list other than an RIS / IRA at number 20. Anyway bloody good beer. Great malt flavour....poured an average head but retention was fantastic......about right to style I'd say. The recipe on the label is nothing like an IRA particularly hops and yeast but it tastes lie a bloody good one. Whoever you are well done! This is like a great IRA but when you read the recipe shouldn't be.

Can't wait to get home tommorrow arv and try a couple/few of these! Have not had a beer since the swap and I am nearly sober.

bradsbrew said:
Can't wait to get home tommorrow arv and try a couple/few of these! Have not had a beer since the swap and I am nearly sober.
Try that IRA first up Brad and tell me if I'm off the mark.

4. Rowy - Couldn't out Florian Florian so it will now be a Stout! (ready)

Aroma of dark malt (obviously). Pours a dark opaque with a creamy head which dissipated after a few mins. Full body and nice coffee flavours. Not overly bitter but not too sweet either. Very smooth.

Nice one Rowy. Perfect beer for a winter night... or breakfast :ph34r:

no4.jpg

Bloody thing uses cascade and a lager yeast Brad.............I confuse easily!

lukiferj said:
4. Rowy - Couldn't out Florian Florian so it will now be a Stout! (ready)

Aroma of dark malt (obviously). Pours a dark opaque with a creamy head which dissipated after a few mins. Full body and nice coffee flavours. Not overly bitter but not too sweet either. Very smooth.

Nice one Rowy. Perfect beer for a winter night... or breakfast :ph34r:
I was happy with the taste but disappointed with the head retention. I'm thinking maybe the oatmeal? Any hints from anyone would appreciated. I would like the bitterness up a touch as well. Probably solving the first may assist the second.

I really enjoyed that stout Rowy. It had fantastic flavour I don't think it needs more bitterness.

Nitro would help the head retention. But I'm a sucker for nitro stouts.

Beersuit said:
I really enjoyed that stout Rowy. It had fantastic flavour I don't think it needs more bitterness.
Nitro would help the head retention. But I'm a sucker for nitro stouts.
Actually Nitro would be the answer........I do love stouts.......more money.........SWMBO.............god what a choice!

Back