VIC. 2015 Xmas in July - Recipe.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yob said:
Either that or I leave the barrel as is.. Either way it'll have to wait till next week, I've got RIS on the frankenyeast right now
No stress Yob

Mine's been in the bottle almost a couple of weeks now at room temp (relatively consistent at 15C), being carbonated at such a low level, does that mean there is less to no evidence that bottle carbonation has or is occurring still? I usually get some condensation or small bubbles indicating activity, but all the bottles I've checked so far have none. I did add some fresh yeast when I bulk primed too, RDWHAHB? Tempted to try a bottle this weekend....

I thought you were going to leave it under the house until next winter? Leave it alone & try it in 6 months or so.

MartinOC said:
I thought you were going to leave it under the house until next winter? Leave it alone & try it in 6 months or so.
I was, I am! Need to arrange a shelf under the house for them! Cheers fellas

Cracked one last night, almost zero carbonation except for teeny tiny steam odd ultra fine bubbles around the edge. Even with a rough pour there was no head. Very very slight glass lacing though. Will this take longer to carb due to the ABV% or after two weeks is this the highest carb it would be? Wanting to work or whether to prime a bit more or leave it be?

Plus side is it tasted spectacular. will have my next one in a month or so!

The high ABV is responsible for the slow bottle carbonation & also the lack of head. It's to be expected.

Just leave it alone for a few months & then try another one.

I wouldn't add more priming sugar since what's there obviously hasn't been consumed yet.

You could try adding a small dose of healthy abv tolerant yeast but I'd wait as Martin suggested. If it's flat and sweet in 3-6 months, revisit the idea then.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Thanks fellas, will enforce patience :)
Yeah, I'm gonna sound like a scratched record here - This one is an exercise in patience, but it'll reward you for several years to come.

It'll take a long time to carbonate in bottles & even longer before it matures & mellows-out (6 months at LEAST). If you're careful with your handling, packaging & storage, it's something that won't start to drop-off for at least 5-6 years. Savour it slowly 'round a camp fire in the next few winters to come... Yes, Jesse, that includes YOU!! :blink:

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."
Arthur Conan Doyle
...and there I was thinking "Yob" & "Bottling" were mutually exclusive.... :p

Ok, after a restart, I've made a 22l of porter with London Ale 1028 and to reuse the cake for the Bummock. I plan to bottle, then dump the bummock onto the cake aggressively as instructed. Then I'll re-tip the bummock into a new fermenter 12hrs later.
  • Is there any benefit in cold crashing the porter 1st?
  • 18c to ferment?
  • 6 to 8 weeks to reach FG? When should I take my 1st gravity reading?
  • I normally prime with sugar scoop, I plan to fill ea scoop with 3/4 or little more for carbonation?
I am tempted to try the pseudo bulk priming method, still seems little more work in my production flow.

6-8 weeks far too long, should be done in a week like any other healthy ferment imo.

My 1728 was doing a batch in 4 days and dropping g clear.

Cold crashing the Porter will result in capturing the less flocculent and more attenuative yeast, a good thing.. That said, I didn't with the ones I did, didn't matter it seems.

Yob said:
My 1728 was doing a batch in 4 days and dropping g clear.
Aye - but your 1728 is abnormal ;)

Currently "Quality testing" a second bottle one month after the first QA test. Been under the house for the past month, and in the fridge for the past few days.

Appearance: Pours thick, almost syrupy, appearance is very turbid. Head dissipates quickly.
Aroma: Fusel alcohols from initial sample (3 week) have disappeared completely. Woody/earthy aroma is more prominent, with plum and prune, and cola.
Flavour: Slight alcohol (very, very, deceptive!), dominant cola, some plum and "smoky" characteristics (could just be the woody or earthy character I associate with barrel aged beers).

All that said, it looks like a murky bourbon & coke, and tastes similar too (a "malty" bourbon & coke?). I don't think my b&c's are 12% tho, or at least 700ml at a time. :chug:

On the bottling technique (yeast and sugar added to bottling bucket): There does appear to be slightly more than a "dusting" of yeast at the bottom. more a thin cohesive film. Perhaps a 1L starter was too much for bottling yeast, or maybe I didn't cold crash the primary for long enough. It was certainly carbed enough at 3 weeks, so could have gone for less yeast. Vaguely worried that the yeast may generate some off flavours over the next year. Will see.

Still haven't finished this damn beer. 330ml bottles next time.

Latest posts

Back