VIC. 2015 Xmas in July - Recipe.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perfect mate - definitely won't see much of a head on this one, but there is obvious carbonation in the mouth, and when pouring.

I ended up using 80g white sugar in 500ml of boiled water (cos I wimped out on the very low carb level) + the 1L (?) starter of fresh yeast in a freshly cleaned + sanitised fermenter for bottling (it already had previously cleaned and had starsan sitting in it - but I felt this time worth the effort to double up on the cleanliness).

It's been bottle conditioning for almost a month now... about to move it out of it's cosy temp controlled 18deg environment and stick it under the house for 6+ months. With any luck I'll leave it alone (it really is a pain in the arse/beer-belly to go under the house for a beer... so it works).

The first bottle I tried a week or whatever ago was pretty darn good... can see it improving with time, esp if I leave it in the fridge for a few weeks to settle out. The glass I had was rather cloudy.

How long did your ferment go for? Mine was loooong... 6 or 8 weeks (?) hence the fresh yeast.

mofox1 said:
Perfect mate - definitely won't see much of a head on this one, but there is obvious carbonation in the mouth, and when pouring.

I ended up using 80g white sugar in 500ml of boiled water (cos I wimped out on the very low carb level) + the 1L (?) starter of fresh yeast in a freshly cleaned + sanitised fermenter for bottling (it already had previously cleaned and had starsan sitting in it - but I felt this time worth the effort to double up on the cleanliness).

It's been bottle conditioning for almost a month now... about to move it out of it's cosy temp controlled 18deg environment and stick it under the house for 6+ months. With any luck I'll leave it alone (it really is a pain in the arse/beer-belly to go under the house for a beer... so it works).

The first bottle I tried a week or whatever ago was pretty darn good... can see it improving with time, esp if I leave it in the fridge for a few weeks to settle out. The glass I had was rather cloudy.

How long did your ferment go for? Mine was loooong... 6 or 8 weeks (?) hence the fresh yeast.
Hmm that sounds like a bit more than I have allowed for. I "think" I have 15L left actually for the bottles (looking at the yeast cake that is above the tap level etc). Boiled that ~76g of DME last night in 500mL but it reduced to around 250-300mL in the flask. Hoping that get's me the right amount of carbonation. I'm still very n00b to carbonation control, have always just used one of those 3 cup spoons for 330mL, 450mL and 750mL with table sugar with decent results for the beers I had been doing. But for this one it would be stupid to be so lax about carbonation.

I had around 125mL of top cropped settled WY1007 slurry so this morning instead of being lazy and only using the 1x~2.5mL vial I had I split out the main flask I harvested, so have 5 vials with around 20-25mL of yeast in each. Palmer says around 1/4 to 1/2 cup of fresh slurry is about right for adding at time of bottling after long extended cold crashes of 2 months or more. Given high alc% safe to assume we are in the same boat as others pointed out earlier. So will add all of those vials except for 1 for my bank with the DME solution and bottle tonight. Looking forward to it!

This Saturday coming will be 7 weeks since I pitched, but it has been cold crashing for 2 weeks at ~3C.

OK so mine finished at 1.020 with WY1007 (so 11.2% in the bottle if I allow 0.2% for bottle priming). All bottled now, I actually mis-judged the yeast cake was a solid flat cake underneath the tap which made transferring to secondary for bulk priming a dream! Actually got 18 Litres in the end, stoked! Only issue is it means I carbonated at 1.6 vols as already had my sugar pre-boiled in a flask for tonight, nevermind sure it will be fine! To the cupboard for a few weeks they go!

Righteo finally I'm happy mine is finished finally.

Going to bottle tonight when the little ones are in bed.

Going to bottle into pet bottles. Would this benefit from less than normal sugar into the bottle? Normally I would do two teaspoons for a pet. Thoughts?

I would definitely recommend erring on the low-side. Scotch Ales are meant for long maturation in order to mellow-out & they'll continue to carbonate slowly. A little spritz is all you're looking-for.

Don't expect a huge head-retention on this one, either - the ABV is just too high to hold a head.

Your patience will be rewarded.....over the next few years......

MartinOC said:
I would definitely recommend erring on the low-side. Scotch Ales are meant for long maturation in order to mellow-out & they'll continue to carbonate slowly. A little spritz is all you're looking-for.

Don't expect a huge head-retention on this one, either - the ABV is just too high to hold a head.

Your patience will be rewarded.....over the next few years......
Thanks Martin. Maybe I will stick with one teaspoon. Planning on leaving this one for a few years

After an epic barrel fail on Friday (we lost maybe 10l as the barrel had dried and leaked) our combined now resides in the Whisky barrel.

We've come up a bit short though, it's not quite full.

Smells good though ;)

I hold you entirely responsible for this terrible situation & demand recompense for my losses.

Would a jolly-good spanking suffice? :super: I have birch-twigs bundled for just such an occasion......

I am assuming Mardoo's cube that was going to become my cube is now becoming 'our' cube :p

Either that or I leave the barrel as is.. Either way it'll have to wait till next week, I've got RIS on the frankenyeast right now

Cheers for the reassurance Martin, Mofox and Yob. Will bottle one evening this week.

Back